Good news for people who like eating fat!

Options

Replies

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    I've yet to see someone on this site who takes that position about milk and doesn't go on to moralize about what others should do.

On the other hand, plenty of people say they are vegans or vegetarians for ethical reasons without making general statements about how others should eat (or how others are being "unnatural"), and they haven't been given a hard time that I've seen.

I'm not sure if you are serious or not. I thought about starting a post that I was going to transition to a vegan diet for ethical reasons to test your hypothesis, but I think I've probably posted too often about my diet.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,952 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    volfan22 wrote: »
    In every keto site I follow they all recommend the drops instead of the granules.

Which sites are you following?
    baconslave wrote: »
    I think her point is that you have to process it to get it in that form (white sugar), but I still don't see how that makes it different (or less "natural") than various forms of processed stevia, which were claimed as "natural" and what I (jokingly) was comparing to sugar.

Or for that matter than any cooked food, which is hardly in a state of nature. Why is it okay to add some dried cherries to rhubarb to sweeten it, but not a bit of sugar?

Indeed, being on a plate seems kind of "unnatural" if you are going to be a purist about it.

Exactly what kinds of "naturalness" are we supposed to care about when it comes to food and on what basis? This is the argument that always comes up re milk and I've never understood it there either.

The problem with stevia, and any other artificial sweetener, is that it's often mixed with a carrier, since it isn't bulky enough in powder form, and has a filler, like maltodextrin or dextrose, which adds carbs to it to the tune of 1g per teaspoon. That's why you want to get the "purer" stuff, not because it was blessed by baby Jesus.

I know you probably know that lemurcat, I'm just clarifying.

People, EVERYTHING is "processed" in one way or another before you eat it.

Trader joes sells an organic stevia powder that's JUST STEVIA. Like, if you use a tenth of a tablespoon you're overdoing it. No binders at all.

That's what I tend to use in my coffee.

I use that Stevia powder, too. Nothing in it but Stevia leaves.

I also use splenda with binders when I bake. Guess I'll be tarred and feathered for being a bad keto-er.

Not from me you won't. Fillers just steal away your carbs, which are low levels to begin with. It's BETTER to preserve them when you can, so you have more to "spend." But if you have to use them, or you just don't care whether or not you use them, your carbs will be a little higher, but that doesn't make you a bad ketoer. We choose what we want to do with our carbs. Some days I have no fiber at all because I choose carbs without them. Others, I have as many as 10g of fiber when I feel like eating more veggies. Neither is better than the other. Personal choice. I use the liquid sweeteners because I want to preserve my carbs for nuts, and cheese, and some times veggies. I get to eat more. Does that make me a better "keto queen" than anyone else? Of course not.

We're not trying to make this a "sweetener snob" argument. We're just trying to cut carbs where we can. I personally prefer splenda, but I can't afford the liquid version and the carbs in the powder aren't worth it to me. So I found a way that works.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    Ok - the bullies win - I'm out! Good luck to each of you in whatever you're attempting to do here.

I believe we have MFP bingo …bullies, keto, and high fat superiority oh my!
    No worries, tomorrow it will be "eat whatever you want" superiority day again. Never fear lad, never fear.
  • rprussell2004
    rprussell2004 Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    Ok - the bullies win - I'm out! Good luck to each of you in whatever you're attempting to do here.

No worries, tomorrow it will be "eat whatever you want" superiority day again. Never fear lad, never fear.

But... but... but...

That's what I already do!

I just only happen to WANT things that are starch- and sugar-free.

WHAT'S WRONG WITH MEEEEEEEEEE???????????
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options

But... but... but...

You're clearly needing to add more refined sugars to your diet.
    You're WANTING the wrong things.
    :wink:
  • baconslave
    Options
    I've yet to see someone on this site who takes that position about milk and doesn't go on to moralize about what others should do.

On the other hand, plenty of people say they are vegans or vegetarians for ethical reasons without making general statements about how others should eat (or how others are being "unnatural"), and they haven't been given a hard time that I've seen.

I'm not sure if you are serious or not. I thought about starting a post that I was going to transition to a vegan diet for ethical reasons to test your hypothesis, but I think I've probably posted too often about my diet.

You know someone will just dress up a strawman and put words in your mouth. I wouldn't bother with the aggravation personally.
  • baconslave
    edited December 2014
    Options

But... but... but...

Dunno. Must be the lack of carbs starving your brain. laugh-c107160f171147f3c214bb30e43c803f.gif

• SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    Options
    It's kind of funny that beets, cantaloupes, clementines, pineapples, appricots and peaches have so much sucrose (yes, sucrose, sometimes two to three times as much sucrose as fructose or glucose) but sucrose is being demonized, and foods that contain it are not.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options
    It's kind of funny that beets, cantaloupes, clementines, pineapples, appricots and peaches have so much sucrose (yes, sucrose, sometimes two to three times as much sucrose as fructose or glucose) but sucrose is being demonized, and foods that contain it are not.

The OP was about health benefits of a LCHF diet, but I'm not sure that is the same as demonizing sucrose. But on 15-20 g of net carbs a day, I doubt these people are eating much fruit either.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    Options

The OP was about health benefits of a LCHF diet, but I'm not sure that is the same as demonizing sucrose. But on 15-20 g of net carbs a day, I doubt these people are eating much fruit either.

You must have missed the last few pages. The conversation evolved quite a ways from LCHF.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options

You must have missed the last few pages. The conversation evolved quite a ways from LCHF.

Actually, I was pretty involved in the last few pages. Which post demonized sucrose?
  • baconslave
    edited December 2014
    Options

Yes. But the argument did not become "sucrose is the devil." It became "Is sucrose in the form of table sugar less natural than sucrose in fruits because it is refined?"

No demons there, except for our own personal ones.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options

Yes. But the argument did not become "sucrose is the devil." It became "Is sucrose in the form of table sugar less natural than sucrose in fruits because it is refined?"

ding ding ding, we have a winner.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options

Actually, I was pretty involved in the last few pages. Which post demonized sucrose?
    None of them.
  • baconslave
    Options

None of them.

All it takes is one spoon to stir the pot. Then the dog-piles begin.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

think this wraps up food issues pretty much across the board.
  • baconslave
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »

think this wraps up food issues pretty much across the board.

Exactly.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

I've mentioned a bunch of times that I get meat from local farms for ethical reasons of my own and no one has ever given me a hard time about it. (Of course, it's entirely possible no one reads my posts.)

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

I've mentioned a bunch of times that I get meat from local farms for ethical reasons of my own and no one has ever given me a hard time about it. (Of course, it's entirely possible no one reads my posts.)

I can certifiably say I read nothing you wrote.

nothing including the above post about meat from a farmer- did.not.read.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

Well, if we want to be precise, what happened was someone was going on about certain kinds of stevia being "natural" vs. other kinds, and the "natural" kind was an extract. Someone said that it being natural did not necessarily make it better, as cyanide is natural, and I added that under that particular definition of "natural"--allowing for an extract to be counted--so was white sugar, as both are derived from plants. (I didn't spell all that out, but it was obvious in the comment.)

Based on that, I got jumped on and told I didn't know the meaning of "natural."

(As if there were one, and as if my point was ever that sugar is "natural," which I think is a silly thing to care about.)

Are there good keto-related reasons to prefer one form of stevia to another? Seems so, and that's great for those who do keto. Doesn't have to do with "nature," though. Lots of "natural" foods are no doubt terrible for keto, like the all-natural potato!