Good news for people who like eating fat!

Options

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    If an extract can be, so can processed sugar. The source is still a plant.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    LazerMole wrote: »
    auddii wrote: »
    Oy vey, people.

The liquid version isn't better because it's "more natural" - it's better for a keto diet because it doesn't have *binders*. Thus, it doesn't add to your carb count for the day, since your body isn't processing any maltodextrin (starch).

Then say that as opposed to saying the "processed stuff is bad"? That's the issue.

I never said processed stuff is bad. I'm attacking both sides of this inane debate. And in this case, the processed stuff isn't good, because it means starch has been added to create a granular form, which adds to a keto-ers daily carb count. So in this case, the non-processed stuff is "better" for the particular goal of said dieter.

Does it imbue processed stuff with inherent badness? Absolutely not.
    Does it make the processed stuff the worse alternative when trying to limit carb intake? Absolutely.

It's not something you said, someone else said it.

Also, I feel like this thread is eating posts as I have tons of notifications of posts but I can't see them...
    volfan22 wrote: »
    Thank you - that's great information! I'll hold off for now - I'm still about 30-35% bg - I have about 35 more lbs to lose before I make any changes. I do know this - I will not go back to eating sugar/wheat. Stevia and Almond flour are my new best friends! :)

Volfan 22. You are using Stevia. You do not think that is a problem to raise insulin resistance? Please say NO. I am so missing my sweet.

Oh and your photos are fantastic. Way to go.

Thank you Chris

Chris - NO! Stevia is natural - BUT (ah, the caveat) - make sure you're using the pure stevia - not the processed stuff. I get mine at the local health food store. The drops are best (IMO). They are stable enough to bake with - I made an awesome white chocolate macadamia nut creme pie for Thanksgiving - IT WAS PHENOMENAL! (and it was 9 carbs). And thank you8! :) It's hard to stay the course sometimes, but having a plan and executing it has been my success for losing fat.

http://sweetleaf.com/stevia-products/

As for when it was said processed was bad, see the above. It implies that you shouldn't get the powder just because it's "processed". Both are processed because you aren't chewing on the leaves directly. If you are recommending against the powders because they add binders, just say that (although if your body can't process it, I'm not sure how it would inhibit a ketogenic diet).

Nevermind that this thread and the original article isn't keto-specific. It's just about how higher fats in general might be a good idea versus the typical higher carb.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Thank you - that's great information! I'll hold off for now - I'm still about 30-35% bg - I have about 35 more lbs to lose before I make any changes. I do know this - I will not go back to eating sugar/wheat. Stevia and Almond flour are my new best friends! :)

Volfan 22. You are using Stevia. You do not think that is a problem to raise insulin resistance? Please say NO. I am so missing my sweet.

Thank you Chris

Chris - NO! Stevia is natural - BUT (ah, the caveat) - make sure you're using the pure stevia - not the processed stuff. I get mine at the local health food store. The drops are best (IMO). They are stable enough to bake with - I made an awesome white chocolate macadamia nut creme pie for Thanksgiving - IT WAS PHENOMENAL! (and it was 9 carbs). And thank you8! :) It's hard to stay the course sometimes, but having a plan and executing it has been my success for losing fat.

also- just to be a purist

baking is a science- if you start tampering with the ingredients it's going to impact the outcome tremendously- it's why people make depressingly sad paleo "desserts" trying to sub out ingredients that shouldn't be messed with in a science procedure.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    If an extract can be, so can processed sugar. The source is still a plant.

Get a dictionary and look up the definition of the word 'natural'.
  • lemurcat12
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Um, do you get that it was a joke based on the claim that an extract from stevia is "natural" but sugar is not?
  • lbvermillion
    lbvermillion Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    BEERRUNNER wrote: »
    Does this mean that its all good to go to lunch @ LONG JOHN SILVERS today and let it ride???

If you can get your chicken and fish planks with a low-carb breading and have them cooked in non-hydrogenated fat like beef tallow or coconut oil instead of the partially hydrogenated and full hydrogenated shortening blends they use then yes, have LJSilvers every day.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,954 Member
    Options
    From fat to the old processed argument...

iWKad22.jpg
  • volfan22
    volfan22 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Oy vey, people.

The liquid version isn't better because it's "more natural" - it's better for a keto diet because it doesn't have *binders*. Thus, it doesn't add to your carb count for the day, since your body isn't processing any maltodextrin (starch).

Then say that as opposed to saying the "processed stuff is bad"? That's the issue.

I never said processed stuff is bad. I'm attacking both sides of this inane debate. And in this case, the processed stuff isn't good, because it means starch has been added to create a granular form, which adds to a keto-ers daily carb count. So in this case, the non-processed stuff is "better" for the particular goal of said dieter.

Does it make the processed stuff the worse alternative when trying to limit carb intake? Absolutely.

Also, I feel like this thread is eating posts as I have tons of notifications of posts but I can't see them...

Thank you Chris

As for when it was said processed was bad, see the above. It implies that you shouldn't get the powder just because it's "processed". Both are processed because you aren't chewing on the leaves directly. If you are recommending against the powders because they add binders, just say that (although if your body can't process it, I'm not sure how it would inhibit a ketogenic diet).

Nevermind that this thread and the original article isn't keto-specific. It's just about how higher fats in general might be a good idea versus the typical higher carb.

The reason I stated the "Pure" stevia is because you can get "stevia-like" products at lower food chain stores. They are not in it's purest form (as is the case with the product I shared the link to.) In every keto site I follow they all recommend the drops instead of the granules. Do you have to take everything and twist it? I'm not trying to be malicious or state untruths. I'm telling someone what I did and what I experienced. I was asked a question about stevia and I answered it and then I get attacked about something being "pure" vs. "processed." I'm sure the extract goes through a process, doesn't mean it's not 100% pure stevia. Sweet Jesus!
  • JoRocka
    Options
    have these products been blessed with holy water by an ordained pope?
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Oy vey, people.

Thank you Chris

The reason I stated the "Pure" stevia is because you can get "stevia-like" products at lower food chain stores. They are not in it's purest form (as is the case with the product I shared the link to.) In every keto site I follow they all recommend the drops instead of the granules. Do you have to take everything and twist it? I'm not trying to be malicious or state untruths. I'm telling someone what I did and what I experienced. I was asked a question about stevia and I answered it and then I get attacked about something being "pure" vs. "processed." I'm sure the extract goes through a process, doesn't mean it's not 100% pure stevia. Sweet Jesus!

Then don't say to avoid something because it's processed?
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »

No, Stevia Jesus blessed them.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options

apparently they have been blessed by the Church of Modern Day Keto, which should be sufficient...
  • volfan22
    volfan22 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Ok - the bullies win - I'm out! Good luck to each of you in whatever you're attempting to do here.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    Ok - the bullies win - I'm out! Good luck to each of you in whatever you're attempting to do here.

I believe we have MFP bingo …bullies, keto, and high fat superiority oh my!
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    In every keto site I follow they all recommend the drops instead of the granules.

What makes you believe they're correct?
  • JoRocka
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

apparently they have been blessed by the Church of Modern Day Keto, which should be sufficient...

Is that run by Stevia Jesus? or another off shoot??
  • rprussell2004
    rprussell2004 Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    OP have you long since abandoned your thread to this forbidden love affair?

Holy smoke. I just realized there were like 160 new replies to this or something ridiculous.

WHY CAN'T WE ALL JUST HUG AND GET ALONG???

(Preferably over bulletproof coffee and a rasher of bacon...)
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    FredDoyle wrote: »

Thank you Chris

If you buy non-processed stevia, does that mean you just eat the leaves... or are you using processed and refined stevia?

You can grow your own plant and use the leaves if you wish. The sweet drops are an extract from the leaf. I don't use the granules (one could - they are refined though) - just depends on what you prefer.

You're committing the naturalistic fallacy.
    Do you know what else is natural and nicely almond scented? Cyanide.

Also--and I understand it's far more dangerous than cyanide--white sugar!

White sugar? As in that crystalized stuff you are normally handed if you say "Please pass the sugar"? That stuff is not natural.

Sucrose isn't natural? Weird how it's found in all sorts of fruits

• lemurcat12
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I think her point is that you have to process it to get it in that form (white sugar), but I still don't see how that makes it different (or less "natural") than various forms of processed stevia, which were claimed as "natural" and what I (jokingly) was comparing to sugar.

Or for that matter than any cooked food, which is hardly in a state of nature. Why is it okay to add some dried cherries to rhubarb to sweeten it, but not a bit of sugar?

Indeed, being on a plate seems kind of "unnatural" if you are going to be a purist about it.

Exactly what kinds of "naturalness" are we supposed to care about when it comes to food and on what basis? This is the argument that always comes up re milk and I've never understood it there either.