Need to Lose 100 LBS -Robins Thread !

Options

Replies

• MKknits
    MKknits Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Hey all I haven't disappeared the kindergarten plague has hit my house (fever, cough, headache, sore throat - all brought to use by our youngest) and I've just been working at taking care of everyone. So far I'm the only one who hasn't fallen to it and I'm hoping it stays that way (knock on all the wood I can find).
  • Lois_1989
    Lois_1989 Posts: 6,410 Member
    Options
    @NK1112 - I'm in for the strength training! It was my intention to push myself back into the gym in February anyway, so but doing this here will give me that extra shove through the door. lol I'll have to ask today when I go to for a swim to extend my membership to the gym because it's not included at the moment. :smile:
  • Lives2Travel
    Lives2Travel Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    Happy MLK day! I have a day off and had plans to get up early and get things done. Since its 9:15 and I'm still in my jammies, that didn't exactly pan out. But, I'm going on a walk at 11 so even if I am lazy the rest of the day it's OK.

It was a very exciting weekend at my house. On Saturday the phone rang and it was DDs BF calling to talk to us. We knew it was coming but hearing the words "I love your daughter and want to spend my life with her. I'll do my best to love and take care of her and I hope you'll give your blessing for me to ask her to marry me". Just WOW. My baby is getting engaged and eventually married. And to a guy I know is a great one for her. Lucky her and lucky us!

Hope everyone has a great day.
  • GrandmaSteph408
    Options
    Hello Everyone! Looking for a great group to help me stay motivated so that I can finally win this weight war!
  • kah68
    kah68 Posts: 1,515 Member
    Options
    Good Morning. Wow, I missed a lot of activity yesterday. I was off and running by 9:30 yesterday morning and didn't get to sit down again until about 8:30 last night so just didn't have a chance to stop by.

@Niki~Yes, using resistance bands is considered weight/strength exercises. They come in a variety of resistances too so you can constantly challenge your muscles, just work the muscle until it feels fatigued (for me it can be 25-30 reps maybe more depending on the resistance of the band). There are many fitness band exercise kits out there with bands of varying resistances, some come with videos (or you may find videos on You Tub). My trainer incorporates them in a lot of the exercises he has me do—he has special background and certifications so always incorporates resistance, power and flexibility into my workouts along with free weights. Since lifting heavy things is my favorite workout I am definitely up for a weight training challenge in February! :wink:

@Karen~I hope the PT and the meds your doc gave you are able to offer you some relief on your shoulder soon.

@Laurie~Thanks for the shout-out. Couldn’t have come this far without the support of this thread and the friends I’ve made. I’m always impressed by you and the way you consistently face your fears, awesome job facing that diving block! :star: Hope your swim meet went well yesterday.

@p1xyn1xy~Glad to see you back! Ugh, it’s so hard to recover from injuries—don’t do too much too soon but way to get back into the swing of things!

@Tom~My sister :heart: Winnie the Pooh, in fact still has the stuffed one my grandmother gave her when she was 3 (she’s 41 now)—he has a special little chair in her bedroom and wears a Penn State shirt (her alma mater). Tigger was always my favorite.

@mountmary (Barbara)~Thanks for the reminder, I usually try to make a big pot of vegetable soup to keep around in the winter and just haven’t made any yet—need to do that. Awesome job with your logging, keep it up!

@Mara~LOL, don’t you wish kids sometimes had an “off” switch?! I don’t know where they find the energy sometimes—they’re like the Energizer Bunny, just keep going and going…

@Melifornia~I’m the coolest aunt too, although I only have two nephews (ages 5 and 7) and they live far away (they’re in Colorado and I’m in Texas) but they’re the center of my universe every chance I get. I love to spoil them rotten then give them back to my sister! :lol:

AFM~I’ve made a commitment to a friend of mine (we have the same personal trainer) that we’ll meet at the park 3 days a week to walk 3+ miles with her pups (3 Labrador’s—white, chocolate and yellow). Those dogs really give us a workout, I swear they walk us! :lol: I generally have the chocolate lab (she’s the alpha dog of the pack) and every once in a while she looks at me as if to say “step it up!” We walked 3 miles on Friday and 4 miles on Saturday with them. This week we’re meeting today, Wednesday and then Friday or Saturday.

She wants me to cancel my membership at my gym and just replace what I do there with walking—I don’t think she’d do any cardio otherwise, so I get her moving. I’m thinking it over. Since our trainer has his own studio, I really only use the gym for cardio (or my elliptical at home)—so probably don’t really need a gym membership. I’m going to see how the next month goes with us meeting at the park, if we’re consistent I may cancel it since its expensive—there is still the Texas heat to consider this summer, though. 110 is just not ideal for walking outside! :cold_sweat:

I wasn’t really sure how I felt about the outcome of the games yesterday—although I loathe the Patriots so wanted to see the Colts at least give them a run for their money. :disappointed: I like the Packers but I live in Cowboy’s country and they got robbed last week so secretly feel like the Packers had it coming (really, I’m not bitter--I blame the refs for last week). I was hoping for a Packers/Colts Super Bowl after last week’s outcome. Now, I really have no interest in the Super Bowl—if I end up going to a Super Bowl Party I’ll have to route for the Seahawks though. :wink:

Exercise Goals:

Monday~Walk w friend
    Tuesday~Trainer
    Wednesday~Walk w friend
    Thursday~Trainer
    Friday~Walk w friend (or rest day)
    Saturday~Walk w friend (or rest day)
    Sunday~Trainer
  • MrsMorgori
    MrsMorgori Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Just wishing everyone a Happy and Healthy week. I Love Winnie the Pooh, has been my favorite for about 49 years, silly ole bear (I think Tom's fav is Tigger as well) <3 the "kids" bathroom is all decorated in Pooh. OH and just in case you didn't know the Patriots are going to the Superbowl!!!! YAY Hopefully we will WIN this year. All is well, and trying to maintain my goal, which was lose 50 lbs by my 50th B-day~accomplished! But gained 3 on vacation (but to my defense it was Christmas, our anniversary, my birthday and new years ALL in 1 week) No wonder!! LOL. Got 2 off and working on this last one, sheesh....Don't catch that wicked flu bug going around :( Have a GREAT Day Y'all :)
  • Morgori
    Morgori Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    Happy Martin Luther King, Jr. Day

Martin Luther King Jr. Day (officially Birthday of Martin Luther King, Jr.)[1] is an American federal holiday marking the birthday of Martin Luther King, Jr. It is observed on the third Monday of January each year, which is around the time of King's birthday, January 15. The floating holiday is similar to holidays set under the Uniform Monday Holiday Act.
    King was the chief spokesman for nonviolent activism in the civil rights movement, which successfully protested racial discrimination in federal and state law. The campaign for a federal holiday in King's honor began soon after his assassination in 1968. President Ronald Reagan signed the holiday into law in 1983, and it was first observed three years later. At first, some states resisted observing the holiday as such, giving it alternative names or combining it with other holidays. It was officially observed in all 50 states for the first time in 2000.

The King Holiday

“It is not only what we do, but what we do not do, that we are held responsible.” ~Moliere

Tom
  • slimbluehen
    slimbluehen Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! The sun is shining here, after Sunday's deluge. Hope you all are having sunny days.

I like the idea of keeping a topic for each day of the week, as long as we have the flexibility to be off-topic when needed.

As for the monthly challenge of strength training, I'd like to increase from 1 session/week to 2/week as a goal, rather than tracking how much of what I do, especially since the trainer I work with switches exercises to keep my body 'surprised.' The second session per week would be what I do on my own - this is the session that is difficult for me to do because I can make so many excuses as to why not >:)

The other challenge I want to keep for myself (I think! - commitment is hard for me) is the at/below calories, but I'm thinking of X/365 rather than X/Month. Anyone have any thoughts on the wisdom of tracking that for a year vs. a month??

Linda
    "Follow through"
  • slimbluehen
    Options
    Monday check-in: challenged at keeping my calories under goal because I overate saltines and had la yogurt smooth & creamy yogurt for a dessert. I really need to be more careful about my selections of foods and more mindful of how much I eat :(
  • mnwalkingqueen
    mnwalkingqueen Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options
    @All Who Encouraged- I am taking the math class in the Fall and I kept the book to practice with in the summer. I will also take the class with no other classes that will push transferring to my bachelors out another year but probably worth my sanity. I felt this was a good exercise in sticking up for myself.
    @tlh0407- Thanks for the information on the new math. I have kept the math book going to practice over the summer and take again in the fall. It is not offered in the summer being classes are accelerated in the summer.
    @NK1112- Don’t be sorry for suggesting talking to a teacher. This is the first teacher in 4 years of college that has done this to me. My last math teacher was very nice and understood not everyone learns the same. He even told me sometimes I made simple easy mistake because I moved to fast or didn’t pay close enough attention. He even said he hated marking me wrong because he could see it was just a simple mistake but he had to. Example dividing 2 negatives and my answer would be negative vs positive.
    @Teresa-My best friend has the same problem she looks health issues up online and thinks she has everything.
    @bluetopazsnake- I take protein bars or serving size nuts for my school days. I go right from work to school, so no time for even fast-food till class is done. On really bad days a grab a snickers out of the school vending machine. I wish I could use the school gym but it is already closed when I am available to use it. I pay for the perks be nice to use them. Good luck with your classes.
    @MKknits- None of us should have a bad teacher that includes our kids.
    @Karen- good luck with the steroid pack and PT you will find time to go especially if it helps you.
    @melifornia- You make me tired LOL! I am so not a morning person and you’re doing awesome at getting up early to work out.
    @Kah68- great job walking with your friends. It is to wet and sloppy here to walk outside. Although took Riley for a walk Sunday morning while things were still frozen.
    @MaryPoppins- Man I know your pain with the service people. Dishnetwork gave me the run around about needing a new remote that cost me $20.00 and a week of watching the same channel daily. Once the remote came I realized not 1 but 3 service people were telling me how to set up the remote wrong and more than likely there was nothing wrong from day one. I got nowhere with them except giving myself a headache.
    @Maram- Like your post to lleecc and bluetopazsnake. Woot Woot on the clothing sale.
    @Scrubb- Undies or not I hate looking at photos of myself. People tell me all the time I look better in real life than in photos.
    @Cblue- stress is food trigger for me. I am glad the writing helped you realize where things were going wrong. Hugs.
    @LaurieK- OMG! Such good advice “Don't allow yourself to fall into the self-fulling syndrome- If you believe that you will regain the weight then it will happen, Believe that you will keep the weight off. Just that change of mindset will help.” We all do this with something in our lives. Good luck with your fear of the diving board. I am the opposite love to dive fear of belly flops but can’t swim very well.
    @slimebluehen- My knee bothers me too and we have the same fear. My fear is if I need surgery that will stop me from doing the things I love to do, so I keep putting up with the pain. Part of my issue is my knee has been like this since 9th grade and I am 40. I was in an accident on my 10 speed back than where my knee was slammed into the curb being my family was poor my mom was like if you can walk you are fine. Most days I am but then there are some where I can barely walk up 4 steps.

AFM- I spent the weekend reading for me new Literature class, being I was a week behind from switching classes. I had dinner Sunday with my friend, she is doing good using weight watchers but is always complaining about being hungry because she can’t ration the points. As I eat whatever I want because it is within my calories. I took Riley for a walk Sunday morning before the melting began he was happy to suck up all the new smells. I am obsessed with the new series Empire so many talented actors. Here is a new pic of Riely posing for a pic taken by my son in my son's scarf.
    dd1pg3j3ul9q.jpg

• melifornia
    melifornia Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Good morning! I was slow getting around today; even went back to bed after I finished my Miracle Morning routine. (My "grace" is that if I'm still sleepy after that hour-long routine, then I can take a 30-minute nap.) That was partly because I was up until about 1AM finishing my final story for the newspaper, then just winding down from the weekend.

Here's to a better week ahead! It's sunny and supposed to be in the upper 50s again today!
  • Rozie1019
    Options
    I know I've been gone over a week now, but I am back. Unfortunately my mom passed away last Monday. It has been a very hard week for my family. We are very sad that she is gone but we know she is no longer suffering or in pain. She is now cancer free up in Heaven. She fought so hard from the time she was diagnosed until the day she passed.

I am going to work harder at this than ever before. I want to make my mom proud. I know I can do it I just need to put it into action. So here I go.

Have a great day.
    Rozie
  • mountmary84
    mountmary84 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    @Rozie Please accept my sincere sympathy in the loss of your mom. That is such a difficult loss. Be gentle with yourself and your family as you mourn this loss.
    Barb
  • cblue315
    cblue315 Posts: 3,836 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    @Rozie1019 - There are no good words for this loss.
    Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal.
  • balloo134
    balloo134 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hello, I'm brand new to the discussion and relatively new to MFP. I'm looking for a support system because doing it on my own isn't working. I've struggled with my weight my entire adult life. Current goals are to log everything into MFP and eat every meal at the kitchen table. A little about myself, I'm in Virginia and I'm an epidemiologist (so I research disease epidemics). Thanks for listening. Jen
  • NK1112
    NK1112 Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    @Rozie1019 - so sorry for your loss. Memory Eternal for you mom.
  • NK1112
    NK1112 Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    Good morning/afternoon everyone. Thanks to those who have responded about the February challenge ... of the 25 people who have recently posted, 11 are for it in one way or another. I'll keep track for the next week or so.

Welcome anyone new who is posting ... you are welcome to come back often and post ... we do have daily topics and challenges that are suggestions for the group to work on (not mandatory) and the challenge is with yourself, the group thing comes in that we are all working on a similar task for the month. That makes it easy to offer tips and suggestions to one another on what is working for us or what you might try if you ask for advise.

AFM ...
    Monday Check-in ...
    I maintained my calories at or under goal, on average, for the entire week. There was one day where I went over, but it averaged in for the week. Still, I gained 1/2 pound this week, so that means I need to do one of 2 things, or both ...
    1) stay within my calorie goal better
    2) burn more calories every day than I currently do.

I had a weight loss goal set for this week that I missed meeting. I had wanted to lose 15 pounds during the past 13 weeks, however I only lost a little over 7 pounds ... so I am unhappy with those extra calories being added to my next goal that ends on April 27th.

However, I'm not feeling bad about the slow weight loss over the last 13 weeks because I had cut my calories quite a bit during the 13 weeks before that ... and my weight loss came to a halt in November. So I had to eat at maintanence for the next month to stabalize my metabolism ... but it is a very interesting thing that even though I was eating at maintenance my weight started to drop again, slowly. So I am now at a point that I can look forward to next month with new monthly goals and challenges.

Follow-through in 2015, Niki
  • slimbluehen
    Options
    Rozie, I am so sorry for your loss.

Hugs,

Linda

• mnwalkingqueen
    mnwalkingqueen Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options
    Rozie1019 wrote: »
    I know I've been gone over a week now, but I am back. Unfortunately my mom passed away last Monday. It has been a very hard week for my family. We are very sad that she is gone but we know she is no longer suffering or in pain. She is now cancer free up in Heaven. She fought so hard from the time she was diagnosed until the day she passed.

I am going to work harder at this than ever before. I want to make my mom proud. I know I can do it I just need to put it into action. So here I go.

Have a great day.
    Rozie

I am so sorry for your loss. Prayers for you and your family.
  • melifornia
    melifornia Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Condolences to you and your family @Rozie1019.