Getting into a calorie surplus can be hard for some

Options

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    just disengage people! Ole Jason is never going to bulk or ditch his machine in favor of a gym..

we tried, it did not work, and this thread is an epic failure.
  • _benjammin
    _benjammin Posts: 1,224 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Ugh. Because I'm recoverying from shoulder surgery and doing a legs only machine based workout I'll reply.
    I'm playing around getting familiar with Rated Perceived Exertion (RPE) and will go back to a barbell routine utilizing an RPE program.
    For now, I use RPE for Leg Press.
    Day A: Couple of warm up sets, then a heavy set in the 9-10 rep range at an 8.5 RPE, then reduce load by ~7% and do 4-5 more sets of 9-10.
    Forget it, I'm not wasting my time typing Day B and C. Hopefully Sara will provide you a program and you'll stick to it.
    Basically I'm doing legs at different loads and volumes 3 days a week. Leg Press and curls 3 days a week, Extensions and calves 2x a week and a variety of glute work 3x a week.
  • elfman5150
    elfman5150 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I am watching this thread solely for the purpose of amusement at this point. Carry on.
  • ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    elfman5150 wrote: »
    I am watching this thread solely for the purpose of amusement at this point. Carry on.
    I don't think it's going to keep going much further. There isn't really anyone here that thinks any part of my plan can work, so there's no use for me to keep asking questions about how to make it work.

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    You don't have a plan really- so- you're right it won't work. But shrug- we can't fix what you don't want to fix.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    elfman5150 wrote: »
    I don't think it's going to keep going much further. There isn't really anyone here that thinks any part of my plan can work, so there's no use for me to keep asking questions about how to make it work.

your plan appears to be going full scale ahead with what you have been doing, which has lead to your current state of affairs...

#fail
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,491 Member
    Options
    I am not even trying to gain weight (I've never had a problem doing that, heh), but even I can tell the OP is doing it wrong.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    insanity = doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results...< OP does this sound familiar...?????????????????????????
  • ForecasterJason
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    insanity = doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results...< OP does this sound familiar...?????????????????????????
    True, but I'm still clinging on to a bit of hope that just maybe, a little more food and a little more training can push my upper body out of this plateau. As it is, I think I'm still gaining strength in my legs from leg pressing.
  • JeffseekingV
    JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
    Options
    True, but I'm still clinging on to a bit of hope that just maybe, a little more food and a little more training can push my upper body out of this plateau. As it is, I think I'm still gaining strength in my legs from leg pressing.

You know what the result will be? Little or no results. You need a lot more calories and a a lot more lifting volume from what I see if your "training"
  • joan23_us
    joan23_us Posts: 263 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    your young dont bother about that 1 lb per month slow lean gain... that's for advanced lifters who can't put on as much anymore. YOU on the other hand still has a big potential for growth spurts so why be stingy? If i were you back when I was 20 yrs. old I will ditch the walk lean all year and bulk up to a decent size for a good 3-4 years even 5 then by this time ( 25 yrs old ) hopefully you didnt get as fat then cut slowly to retain as much muscle mass as you can, I wouldn't think you'll gain that much fat sensing you already know what you want and doing.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

WHY.... why are you "hoping" for a little..... when the answer to a real tangible results requires REAL commitment and not just "a little"

I don't understand why you're clinging to hope for a tiny tiny maybe when a resounding push of calories and training will get you what you want.

What advantage are you hoping to gain? What could you possible get out of that?
    Building muscle is hard enough- you are literally hammy stringing yourself and practically setting yourself up for failure.
    -
    My question has- and continues to be WHY would you want to do that?
  • ForecasterJason
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »

WHY.... why are you "hoping" for a little..... when the answer to a real tangible results requires REAL commitment and not just "a little"

I don't understand why you're clinging to hope for a tiny tiny maybe when a resounding push of calories and training will get you what you want.

Building muscle is hard enough- you are literally hammy stringing yourself and practically setting yourself up for failure.
    -
    Yes, I do want more than just "a little" progress, but where I'm still in the dark is the "how to" with the training. I still believe that Sara is right; there's got to be a way it can work to a certain point with my setup (as long as the weights remain challenging enough).

Another thing, while I can certainly find out, I'm not even 100% positive that my nearest campus gym even has the right equipment. I know at one point they didn't even have a bar for pullups.
  • JeffseekingV
    JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
    Options
    OMG
  • ForecasterJason
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »

-
    Yes, I do want more than just "a little" progress, but where I'm still in the dark is the "how to" with the training. I still believe that Sara is right; there's got to be a way it can work to a certain point with my setup (as long as the weights remain challenging enough).

Another thing, while I can certainly find out, I'm not even 100% positive that my nearest campus gym even has the right equipment. I know at one point they didn't even have a bar for pullups.

Are you kidding??? You don't know "how to"? Have you read any of your own thread? This thread? Unreal.

And your campus may not have the right equipment, which equipment? The machine?
    Maybe it wasn't obvious, but the "how to" was referring to my weight machine.

I set foot in that gym once or twice, but it's been too long for me to remember what exactly they have. If the pictures I'm seeing online are accurate for this particular gym, it does indeed look like they have machines, but I can't tell if there are free weights.

• nicoleromine
    nicoleromine Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I just ate a chocolate chip cookie dough protein bar covered in s'mores peanut butter. Then, I'm headed to the gym for what I hope is a PR on my deadlift - here's to 160#. Doesn't that sound awesome? Just do it, man.
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »

-

Are you kidding??? You don't know "how to"? Have you read any of your own thread? This thread? Unreal.

And your campus may not have the right equipment, which equipment? The machine?
    Maybe it wasn't obvious, but the "how to" was referring to my weight machine.

I set foot in that gym once or twice, but it's been too long for me to remember what exactly they have. If the pictures I'm seeing online are accurate for this particular gym, it does indeed look like they have machines, but I can't tell if there are free weights.
    Oh, sweet jesus. They have some kind of free weights. Every gym in the world has some kind of free weights. It may not have the ideal setup, but if it's billed as a gym (not a yoga studio or something like that), it has heavy things that are not attached that you can pick up and put down. Even the tiny community rec room-style gyms have some kind of dumbbell rack. I first picked up a barbell in a PT clinic.

They have free weights. Go and do.