Need to Lose 100 LBS -Robins Thread !

Options

Replies

• jtconst
    jtconst Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    Laurie mudding is just the redneck term for taking offroad vehicles out on the trails after a lot of rain and playing in the mud. We had a great time and most importantly didn't get stuck, lol.
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    skinnyjeanzbound Posts: 3,932 Member
    Options
    @tammy--here in the midwest, we call that "off-roading"--hope you had fun!

@naceto‌ (nicole)--Hey there! So good to see you back! How's school going?

@laurie--Yikes--I saw you east coast folks are getting some major snow! Stay safe!

@ZebsterBC‌ --your shoulder pain sounds exactly like what I'm going through. I also believe my injury was caused by lifting a too heavy bag (in my case a book bag), Unfortunately, all of my rest and self medicating with naproxin didn't result in full healing, so I went to the doc. She gave me prednisone, muscle relaxers, and a referral to PT. The meds alone have done wonders, but I'm still going to follow through with PT starting in about 2 weeks, too insure I don't re-injure when I start lifting weights again.

I would love to do a bunch more personals but it's pushing midnight, so I'll just say welcome to all of the newlings!

Sunday Share:
    Went to my niece's birthday party today which was fun and filling. Mac n cheese bar was delicious as was the b-day cake. I ate plenty of both to fuel my run--it paid off, and I finished the 8k in 55:41. Even after all the food, I'm still under calories b/c of all those calories burned running. :smile:

A good day overall though the party ran longer than I expected. We didn't end up getting home until almost 5. Luckily, I was so stuffed from all the food, there was absolutely no way I could rationalize not going to the gym. After my run, I came home, showered, and finished grading the 11 journals. That's right, I'm officially caught up on grading. You probably won't hear me say that again until June. LOL

The only downside to my day was that I didn't have time to do any food prep for the week. Fortunately, my DH had bought some Jimmy Dean Delight breakfast sandwiches. I will have to improvise for lunch and prep for the rest of the week tomorrow afternoon.

January Challenge:
    Under calorie goal: 23/25 days (goal is 28/31 days)
    All-in: run 2 days/week: week 1 = 2/2, week 2 = 3/2, week 3 = 2/2, week 4 = 1/2
    8k at end of month (not sure what day) in 56 minutes (Thanksgiving 8k = 56:49, NYE 8k = 57:47) DONE 1/25 in 55:41!!

Grading Goals:
    1. 66/66 journal conferences DONE

Exercise Goals: (week 4)
    Sun--walk gunner NOT DONE + gym DONE
    Mon--walk gunner
    Tues--rest day (meeting)
    Wed--walk gunner + gym
    Thurs-- walk gunner
    Fri--rest day
    Sat--walk gunner

2015 mantra "Just 15 minutes"
  • grandmakaye44
    grandmakaye44 Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    @jtconst My SIL is in Vancouver, WA. He loves playing in the mud with his Jeep. Made me smile.
    I love reading about all of the successes and struggles, especially all of the new ones who are struggling to get started. I would reiterate the advice that has already been given. Take it one step at a time and don't worry if all the parts take a while to come together.
    Yesterday wasn't as bad as I expected. We ate lunch at Cracker Barrel. I was pleased to see that they have added a 'healthy' section since I was last there. It has the calories for each item and great low calorie options for sides. Today has been good, too. I got a 4 mile walk in the sunshine. No one had time to go with me , so I went alone. I met my food and exercise goals for both days, but fell a bit short on the water.
    For all of the newcomers, I am Kaye from extreme Western Idaho, less than a mile from the Oregon border. I have been on Mfp and participating on Robin's thread since September 2012. I've lost 95#, but fluctuate within 5# of that. Right now I am fluctuating between 175 & 170. I want to lose about 20# more so I am fluctuating between 155 & 160. I have 7 children with spouses, 14 grandchildren, plus some steps and fosters. You will soon notice that most of my life revolves around my family. In May I will be 71, and in June we will celebrate our 50th wedding anniversary.
    Here's to a great week. Onward and downward. Kaye
  • Lives2Travel
    Lives2Travel Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    I hate Monday. I can already feel the stress building in my neck and shoulders.

Had a very busy, but productive weekend. Bought a new (to me) car since we're giving DD and her soon to be fiancé my old one, finished patching and painting the pantry, ran a bunch of errands, had breakfast with an ex-coworker, had dinner with my mom, took 2 long walks, did laundry, paid bills and gave the dog a bath. I find it easier to stay on track food wise on the weekends. I'm never just sitting and don't have time to snack like I do when I'm working. Clearly I should retire ASAP. Sadly that will be no time soon!

2014 Mantras:

Live like someone left the gate open (Live Joyously)
    Persevere

Have a great day everyone!
  • mnwalkingqueen
    mnwalkingqueen Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options
    Happy Monday
    @‌ Newbies- Welcome
    @ To All The Sick Ones- Get better soon
    I spent my weekend doing homework. I realized I read my Literature syllabus wrong and was behind 100pgs. Good thing I love to read :) I had plans to go to bar bingo on Saturday night but my friend bailed at the last moment. So, stayed home watching TV feeling bad for myself and was very bored. I think I am going to try Meet Up groups again.
    @Karen- You may appreciate this as a Lit major....when reading I automatically think about things but I learned this weekend how I read also has specific names. I am a text-to-self and text-to-text reader.
  • colleen40
    colleen40 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    So Monday check in.

I was a part of this group a few years ago (2010 or 2011), and since then I have successfully been a non-smoker for 4 years (Jan 5, 2011), and have lost 63 lbs through use of weight loss shakes.
    A year ago I sustained a life changing injury that resulted in months of almost no activity, the use of narcotic pain killers, quite as bit of depressed eating and as a result have gained back all of the weight I had lost.

So now we start again. I have no plans of going back to the optifast. I think it is good but hard to maintain the weight loss because you are not changing life habits. The one thing it really did for me was prove I can lose the weight.

My goals:
    100 lbs then re-assess.
    10000 steps/day (to start 5000 steps)
    Within 100 calories of target each day.

My achiements:
    Weight: 13/100 lbs
    Steps: 3/7
    Calories: 3/7

My motto: Live Love!
    Part of that motto is loving myself enough to make a lasting change.
  • naceto
    naceto Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    @skinnyjeanzbound, thanks! The new job has funky hours most days... and with the kiddo's sports... I had to put school on hold for awhile. Remember the new guy? :# He kinda takes up some time as well. :)

@mnwalkingqueen - Love the hair! Is it shorter, or just different? Either way... you are looking fantabulous!

@Lives2Travel‌ - Ooh Monday.... Day 1 of the hostage situation. ;) Don't worry, it will be over soon enough, and before you know it, here comes Friday. :) (I'm full of baloney... I hate Mondays) ;)

Here's what I'm doing... honestly, I've lost enough weight that I shouldn't lose 100 or more at this point. I was about 280 awhile back, and have been slooooowwwwwly dropping pounds and then gaining a few back here and there. Overall, I've done pretty good, but haven't really stuck to it. I've decided to put some shorter term goals out there. Right now- my goal is to lose 25 pounds by May 1. The reward, aside from dropping below 200 and feeling great emotionally and physically, is that my sweetie is going to give me a weekend at a B&B (he gets to go too, so it's a win-win).

Aside from that - I am taking it one day at a time. Planning my meals a day in advance, taking my vitamins, and I'm going to try to get some exercise in there somewhere.

About that planning in advance thing... Last night I tossed a bunch of chicken breast, roasted red tomatoes and pineapple, in the crockpot. The intent is to have this on tortillas for lunch. The chicken came out a little dry. Does anyone know how to make chicken breast semi-tender in the crockpot? Thighs are no problem, they are always moist... except that my own thighs are too large, therefore I need to eat the breast meat. ;)

• NK1112
    NK1112 Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    Good Monday everyone...
    Welcome new and returning posters ... isn't that the great thing about this thread ... it's been going so long that when you hop back in to it you get warm welcomes from those who knew you last time around. Hope it keeps going that way.

Monday Check-in ... this week I lost less than a pound of weight ... which is right on mark for the goals I had for weight loss from caloried restriction, so I'm happy about it.

Watch your calories - 22/25 (goal is 28/31) no more available over days to reach my monthly goal.
    All-In - going to the gym today, after lunch for a half hour of walking.
    2015 Words to live by: Follow-through

AFM ... Even though an over-limit caloriec intake yesterday, my weekly averages are below the daily goal I'd set for myself. Looking over the averages I see that this coming week my focus has got to be on improving some of the other macronutrients the food reports provide. My cholesterol was 294 ... that needs to be less than 250. The sodium was 2587 and the doctor wants me under 2300. The sugar ws 67 and the daily max is 50. My fiber was only 22 and needs to be around 30.

My doctor and I were talking about my numbers when I saw him on Monday ... I had mentioned how sodium and sugar exist even in healthy, whole foods that it's really hard to not go over on them. He agreed, but still wants me to reign mine in with better choices.

The end of the month is approaching. Look for the February goals with the heart banners around them in the next few days. We will have an exercise component to our All-In for the month ... I'm reviewing the 16 suggestions right now. So ... if anyone wants to share their ideas before I finish it up, now's your chance to chime in.

Follow-through. Niki
  • brandymcdonald940
    Options
    Hello Monday first timer here!! I just had an interesting experience and wanted to tell someone and couldn't think of anyone I know who wouldn't be like does she need medication:) And then I thought someone here might be able to relate.

I started the new year with the goal to be healthy... So being at least 100lbs over weight, weight loss is a goal. 26 days in 5lbs!!!! Down I know I have a long way to go but I didn't get to this place overnight and I know it's going to take time. So my experience is this today after a really hard workout I felt so proud I pushed through wanting to stop!!! I burst into tears. I'm in my living room crying why??? I just need to say I'm doing this it's hard and sucks sometimes but I'm doing it. I've given up many times over the years but I won't stop! So motivated and proud of my self! Just needed to share

Blessings and motivation to you all
  • cblue315
    cblue315 Posts: 3,836 Member
    Options
    To all the newbies:
    Back when I started (June 2014) someone threw out a suggestion about making a list to help plan my weight loss.
    Things I will do
    Things I will not do
    Things I will try later

This list is something I did and it really did help to define the direction I was willing to go with the hope that I would stick to that path. So far so good, my path is clear to me and I have managed to lose 60 pounds since then. I redefine the list periodically.

Just thought I would send out this reminder as we have lots of new and returning folks.
    Love to all,
    Lori <3
  • NK1112
    NK1112 Posts: 781 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    @cblue315 ... me TOO. Lori. I did the same thing when I started, with the 3 lists. It Works to make the necessary gradual habit changes because you can work on the will-do list, and it doesn't have to be all-encompassing when you start because of the third list of things to try later. For me, the things I had on my 'will-not do' list included stomach bypass surgery, quick-fix diets, and diet foods.

@brandymcdonald ... Don't know why your burst into tears after pushing through a hard workout. But thanks for sharing. Keep at it girl!

@colleen40 ...welcome back to the group, and thanks for jumping in with the format ... hope it goes according to plan.

Stopped by to post my lunch results and couldn't help taking a quick peek at the thread, then felt compelled to post.

Follow-through. Niki

Good morning to Kai, Edna, Ellen.
  • DeterminedMomNeb
    Options
    :):) Hi Guys. I'm new to this chat. I have been a member of myfitnesspal for years. I guess I just really want to get back into things because I am so sick and tired of people telling me I have such a pretty face for a big girl. I honestly think that if I have a group behind me that will call me out it will help me. Thanks everyone and have a great day. :smile:
  • NewCaddy
    NewCaddy Posts: 845 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Since I didn’t get on yesterday, quick Sunday Share. My name is Tracy and 42 is just around the corner this spring. I live in Bismarck and have a husband and two active children. My goal is to keep them active for two reasons – I believe kids with activities and passions get into less trouble with drinking and drugs and I don’t want them to struggle with their weight like I have. My 13 year old boy will hear me say things like, just don’t quit doing it, it’s hard to get back at it. I work from home at a desk all day and I’m finding it is a big struggle with food. At least in the office, I only ate what I packed for lunch and I never kept cash on me so the vending machines were off limits to me. Although since I’ve been doing this for 2 ½ years, you’d think I’d find something that worked for me.

@Kaye…at least Costco is big and you do quite a bit of walking while in there.
    @p1xy…great motivation. Skydiving is on my bucket list.
    @Karen…chips have been in my house non-stop for at least a month. I’ve talked to my husband and he’s not getting it. I have to get him to see that it is sabotaging me to have them here. I don’t mind if they have it, I just can’t have them where I can see them. There have to be some hiding spots downstairs (I’m rarely down there in the man cave!).
    @Tammy…not getting stuck is the big thing. Once my dad was looking at buying a new 4-wheel drive pick up and we headed out of town on the test drive. He found a muddy patch and got her stuck…had to make sure the 4-wheel drive worked!!! As a teenager, I was concerned about not getting unstuck because I know it would have meant me pushing.

AFM…My sister is having some problems with her pregnancy. Nothing life threatening, but having some pain that we are having to scale back our workouts. We still have lifting but are limiting it a bit to make sure we're not stressing her body too much. We will be adding in Water Aerobics where we can as it will be better on her and still give her some cardio and strength.

I have a question about my calories. When I calculate my BMR it comes to anywhere between 1843 and1894 depending on the calculator I use. My TDEE at sedentary (I want to work for my calories and eat them back) is 2211-2267. They say that someone that is obese can take 30% from their TDEE to lose weight. That would put me at approximately 1547 calories a day, but I heard that you shouldn’t go less than your BMR. UGH!!

Saturday – Lift (nope, rest day)
    Sunday – Cardio (nope – but we did lift)
    Monday – Water Aerobics
    Tuesday – Lift
    Wednesday – Cardio
    Thursday – Lift
    Friday – Water Aerobics

• mnwalkingqueen
    mnwalkingqueen Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options
    naceto wrote: »
    @skinnyjeanzbound, thanks! The new job has funky hours most days... and with the kiddo's sports... I had to put school on hold for awhile. Remember the new guy? :# He kinda takes up some time as well. :)

@mnwalkingqueen - Love the hair! Is it shorter, or just different? Either way... you are looking fantabulous!

@Lives2Travel‌ - Ooh Monday.... Day 1 of the hostage situation. ;) Don't worry, it will be over soon enough, and before you know it, here comes Friday. :) (I'm full of baloney... I hate Mondays) ;)

Here's what I'm doing... honestly, I've lost enough weight that I shouldn't lose 100 or more at this point. I was about 280 awhile back, and have been slooooowwwwwly dropping pounds and then gaining a few back here and there. Overall, I've done pretty good, but haven't really stuck to it. I've decided to put some shorter term goals out there. Right now- my goal is to lose 25 pounds by May 1. The reward, aside from dropping below 200 and feeling great emotionally and physically, is that my sweetie is going to give me a weekend at a B&B (he gets to go too, so it's a win-win).

Aside from that - I am taking it one day at a time. Planning my meals a day in advance, taking my vitamins, and I'm going to try to get some exercise in there somewhere.

About that planning in advance thing... Last night I tossed a bunch of chicken breast, roasted red tomatoes and pineapple, in the crockpot. The intent is to have this on tortillas for lunch. The chicken came out a little dry. Does anyone know how to make chicken breast semi-tender in the crockpot? Thighs are no problem, they are always moist... except that my own thighs are too large, therefore I need to eat the breast meat. ;)

I use boneless chicken breast add a little water or chicken stock. Not sure if depends on what your are making I make a buffalo chicken and salsa chicken in mine
  • p1xyn1xy
    p1xyn1xy Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the help everyone. I cobbled one together from everyone :D
    I totally understand about the chips. I believe I ate a whole bag yesterday. Yikes!!! With being off kilter for four months, I've resumed a few bad habits and ADDED a few new ones. I wasn't really a late night snacker before. I think that is what I should just concentrate on. Just getting back to 3 meals and 1 snack a day. I was perfectly within goal... then ate a bag of chips at midnight. WTH! I should keep saying to myself, "GO to BED!!!" lol You can't eat if you're sleeping.

Mantra for 2015
    "Time passes anyways, make someday NOW!"
  • azultu77
    Options
    RobinsEgg wrote: »
    Hello Everyone!

Welcome to our discussion. We are a great community - both men and women
    - and provide excellent support and motivation for your personal weight
    loss journey.

This is not a group. This is an ongoing discussion of support and motivation and you can easily participate. There is no "joining" to do. Just post a comment! happy That's all it takes. Go to the last - most current page (600 and counting)and write a comment - whatever you feel like saying, and click the REPLY button. You will be welcomed by other people posting and hopefully you will return often. I try to send a welcoming message within a week of your first post.

After posting, you can find your way back by checking your "COMMUNITY"
    tab, then on the "MY DISCUSSIONS" listing, and all the DISCUSSIONS you
    have posted to will show up. If you click on the STAR to the right of the
    DISCUSSIONS, that selects them as your favorites. Then you can click on
    the Titles of the DISCUSSIONS and doing that will return you to the most
    current posting on the DISCUSSIONS thread.

GOALS and IDEAS for daily posts (Not mandatory)

Monday - Check In (how are you doing? Had any successes or struggles this week-end?)

Tuesday - Goals (do you have any Goals you want to update us?)

Wednesday - Wishes (what do you wish? It can be weight related or not, can be realistic or not)

Thursday - Truth (got anything you need to fess up to or get off your chest?)

Friday - Fitness (what are you doing to get fit? How are you preparing for weekend eating?

Saturday - Success (what have you accomplished; focus on the positive of the week, NSV=non scale victories)

Sunday - Sharing (tell us a little about yourself....update your personal life)

Welcome to each and every one of you as you start this journey - Robin

• grandmakaye44
    grandmakaye44 Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    Chicken breast is tricky in a crock pot because over cooking is what dries it out. Try cooking for shorter period of time, or just use the oven and cook it faster for a short period of time. I tend to steer away from the crock pot for chicken breast.

• Rozie1019
    Options
    Even though I did all that prepping i forgot to make my guacamole for snacks and salads so I went to the grocery store to buy some and then also got sushi and ate it. But it didn't kill my calories so I just need to tweak the rest of my day a little bit or add in a bit of exercise and I'm all good to go! I am feeling well enough to exercise today, and I cleaned the living room last night so I won't step on any frisbee remains.

@brandymcd I know what you mean. The first time I fully finished day 1 of C25K I cried. I was finishing my cool down walk and I was just crying. I was so proud of myself that I had actually done it.

@drainqueen In terms of exercise my advice is- fake it til you make it. Get yourself hyped up for it. Get excited about it. While you're working out tell yourself that you love doing it that you are having a great time. Think of exercise as a fun thing and one day you will truly enjoy it.

@cblue great idea with the lists!

Alrighty ya'll, back to work I must go! Have a great day!

Rozie
  • mountmary84
    mountmary84 Posts: 259 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I totally agree with Kaye about chicken breast. Do it in the oven and check the internal temp so as not to over cook. Once it dries out there is really nothing you can do to make it taste like anything but cardboard!
    Gently poaching is also an option, but the key word is gently. You simply don't want to overcook something so lean.

• MaryPoppinsIAint
    MaryPoppinsIAint Posts: 157 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    @naceto‌ - I do chicken in my crock all the time, it's not only possible, but delicious. You want to cook on low if at all possible, and the chicken should be on the bottom so that it is fully covered by your wet stuff when you turn it on. As long as there's enough fluid in there, chicken (any meat, really) should be fork-shreddable when finished and juicy as you please. It doesn't need to be swimming in broth or anything, usually a cup or two of fluid plus whatever else you throw in is plenty, just make sure you don't lift the lid too much, and if you have to cook on high, don't be stingy with the liquid.