Join the Gelato and Ice Cream Group

Options

Replies

• sistrsprkl
    sistrsprkl Posts: 1,013 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    @cortelli, haven't tried the ricotta fig yet but I want to! Headed down towards SB this weekend so I'll be going back to McConnell's. Let me know how you like Mission Hill, the best in CA I've had so far...
    ETA, Mission Hill is $7 at my store - guess that's a deal :\
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Cortelli wrote: »
    arditarose wrote: »
    Can I ask you guys...How often do you eat only one serving of ice cream/gelato? My minimum is 1.5 servings.

When cutting I often have less than one full serving. But then I like to keep a little room for wine or beer with dinner and maybe some tequila to sip after dinner.

This. I think I'm probably the exception in the group but my nightly glass (or two) of wine is a priority for me, so if im having gelato I often do a half serving, or do something like a couple of oreos or a square of dark chocolate if I'm really close on cals.

I'm toying with the idea of upping my cals for the cleanse, I've been saying for months that its time to move to maintenance but I never changed my calorie goal because I like having a buffer, and I'm 3 lbs from a stretch goal. The extra 100 cals I.would start out with would make it easier to really embrace the Spring Cleanse and eat more baked goods I think.
  • Cortelli
    Cortelli Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    Kruggeri wrote: »
    arditarose wrote: »
    Can I ask you guys...How often do you eat only one serving of ice cream/gelato? My minimum is 1.5 servings.

When cutting I often have less than one full serving. But then I like to keep a little room for wine or beer with dinner and maybe some tequila to sip after dinner.

[. . . snip . . .]

I'm toying with the idea of upping my cals for the cleanse, I've been saying for months that its time to move to maintenance but I never changed my calorie goal because I like having a buffer, and I'm 3 lbs from a stretch goal. The extra 100 cals I.would start out with would make it easier to really embrace the Spring Cleanse and eat more baked goods I think.

Sounds like a plan!

• Cortelli
    Options
    sistrsprkl wrote: »
    @cortelli, haven't tried the ricotta fig yet but I want to! Headed down towards SB this weekend so I'll be going back to McConnell's. Let me know how you like Mission Hill, the best in CA I've had so far...

Tried a bit of the Ricotta Fig last night. Very good - very creamy and rich. Both the ricotta and fig flavors were a little muted by vanilla and cinnamon in the ice cream, but it was very, very yummy as was.

Side note: Not sure how to log it. The pint lists a serving size as 4 oz (88g). Of course, 88g is only a bit over 3 oz. Emailed the creamery but I am guessing that the serving size should actually be 1/2 cup (88g).

• giannigreco83
    giannigreco83 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Does anyone start eating ice cream with the intention of consuming that 1 serving on the label but then ends eating the whole thing.....???
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    Does anyone start eating ice cream with the intention of consuming that 1 serving on the label but then ends eating the whole thing.....???

Nope. I measure (weigh) out my 100 grams, put away the pint, and go into another room to sloooooowly eat my one serving. When the bowl is licked clean, into the dishwasher it goes!
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    EWJLang wrote: »

Nope. I measure (weigh) out my 100 grams, put away the pint, and go into another room to sloooooowly eat my one serving. When the bowl is licked clean, into the dishwasher it goes!

Yup. ^^
    In fact, I find myself enjoying food now more than ever instead of shoveling it into my face in mass quantities. It's like the flavor was fleeting and so I had to keep eating more and more. And for ice cream, once I get past a certain point, I feel I can't taste it anymore anyway because my mouth is numb from cold. Eating it slow or having it with wine or tea is heavenly.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    OdesAngel wrote: »

Yup. ^^
    In fact, I find myself enjoying food now more than ever instead of shoveling it into my face in mass quantities. It's like the flavor was fleeting and so I had to keep eating more and more. And for ice cream, once I get past a certain point, I feel I can't taste it anymore anyway because my mouth is numb from cold. Eating it slow or having it with wine or tea is heavenly.

This is definitely me with the cold mouth thing too. I only noticed that once I started focusing on eating things slowly.

• Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options
    I tried the Hazelnut chocolate chip Talenti last night...IDK how I feel about it.

I want the Sea Salt Caramel to come back to Stop and Shop....stupid recall
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

honestly, I have not done that in a loooong time. I weight out my serving eat it, enjoy it, and move on ….

• Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options

Yeah, this.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options

Tried a bit of the Ricotta Fig last night. Very good - very creamy and rich. Both the ricotta and fig flavors were a little muted by vanilla and cinnamon in the ice cream, but it was very, very yummy as was.

Side note: Not sure how to log it. The pint lists a serving size as 4 oz (88g). Of course, 88g is only a bit over 3 oz. Emailed the creamery but I am guessing that the serving size should actually be 1/2 cup (88g).

They probably mean 4oz in volume, which is half a cup. Crazy Americans and their ounces for weight and volume... not confusing at all :pensive:

I've seen fantastic flavors at Whole Foods too but I'm too cheap to pay $7 or $8 a pint.
  • Cortelli
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »

They probably mean 4oz in volume, which is half a cup. Crazy Americans and their ounces for weight and volume... not confusing at all :pensive:

I've seen fantastic flavors at Whole Foods too but I'm too cheap to pay $7 or $8 a pint.

Ahhh - so 4 fluid ounces! Yeah that makes sense (even if not a fluid").

And yes, the price of some of these ice creams / gelatos makes them a special treat, and something I sort of have to do unconsciously ("no, no dear . . . I didn't just spend $30+ on a few pints of ice cream").
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options

Even at my heaviest I couldn't get past half a pint. But weight it, put it back in the freezer, profit.
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options

If I don't weigh out my portion I definitely have.
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »

Ahhh - so 4 fluid ounces! Yeah that makes sense (even if not a fluid").

And yes, the price of some of these ice creams / gelatos makes them a special treat, and something I sort of have to do unconsciously ("no, no dear . . . I didn't just spend $30+ on a few pints of ice cream").

Just another reason to keep your portion size responsible!

(In other news...a "pint" of dry food like berries. STAHP, MURRIKA)
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

This.

I was really disappointed this weekend, because I was walking home past the Jeni's on my street Friday night around 10:30 pm and decided it would be a good time to go in and buy a pint or two of some flavor not sold at WF, as it was only March and couldn't be crowded yet. Yeah, right--March, in the 50s, and the beginning of St. Patrick's Day (observed) weekend in Chicago meant a line halfway down the block.

Some day I will go!
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    Watch out for some Blue Bell bars.

I'm really going to miss winter because I'm going to have to start lugging around a cooler or something anytime I want more ice cream variety than my crappy Krogers provides.
  • PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    Options
    I have a baby spoon from when my eldest was a baby that I use for things like gelato and ricotta (things I will pile drive into my face hole). I take much smaller bites and enjoy it far more.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    I have the Talenti Southern Butter Pecan to try tonight. Good?