Confession Time! ((ABSOLUTELY NO JUDGEMENT))

Options

Replies

• rungirl1973
    rungirl1973 Posts: 2,559 Member
    Options
    ShibaEars wrote: »
    I realized last night I have this issue with feeling guilty if I do well at something. I am doing an agility class with my dog and I was able to pick up the new stuff last night that the other people weren't getting. I felt like one lady in particular was giving me stink eye because she wasn't doing so well (but seriously, who wears flip flops to something they know involves running and direction changes?). The instructor complimented me at the end and it took everything I had to not downplay it.

It kind of sounds like I'm humble bragging, maybe I am, maybe I should just turn it into actual bragging: Me and my dog are doing awesome in agility. Unfortunately I can't seem to allow myself to enjoy it and feel proud of her and I because... well I don't know why.

It's not wrong to feel proud of being good at something, is it?

I think a lot of people, especially women, struggle with this. I know in school, I got excellent grades. I was in the top 2% of my high school graduating class and went to college on a 100% academic scholarship. Most of my friends didn't realize it because I would always pretend like my scores were poor on a test where I may have gotten a 95%. I was embarrassed that some things came so easy to me.

I still downplay my accomplishments to some extent. I've had managers/directors tell me to be more outspoken about what I'm accomplishing, so I'm working on it.

It's the culture, we don't keep score in peewee sports leagues, everythings about sharing, and making everyone feel good, we're weeding out that killer instinct to get in and get after it and scream for the rafters when you take it.

I agree with that in more recent years. I'm too old for that, though.

Of course, I grew up on a farm. I didn't play any sports; we didn't have the money to haul me into town for peewee sports and such in the 70's-80's.
  • CountessKitteh
    CountessKitteh Posts: 1,505 Member
    Options
    Just got told I'm eating at Chuck E Cheese tonight. As a native of New Jersey, I am proficient at Skee-ball. All of the tokens shall be mine!

Being Jersey-born honed my air hockey skills at a young age.
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,712 Member
    Options
    I realized last night I have this issue with feeling guilty if I do well at something. I am doing an agility class with my dog and I was able to pick up the new stuff last night that the other people weren't getting. I felt like one lady in particular was giving me stink eye because she wasn't doing so well (but seriously, who wears flip flops to something they know involves running and direction changes?). The instructor complimented me at the end and it took everything I had to not downplay it.

It kind of sounds like I'm humble bragging, maybe I am, maybe I should just turn it into actual bragging: Me and my dog are doing awesome in agility. Unfortunately I can't seem to allow myself to enjoy it and feel proud of her and I because... well I don't know why.

I think a lot of people, especially women, struggle with this. I know in school, I got excellent grades. I was in the top 2% of my high school graduating class and went to college on a 100% academic scholarship. Most of my friends didn't realize it because I would always pretend like my scores were poor on a test where I may have gotten a 95%. I was embarrassed that some things came so easy to me.

I still downplay my accomplishments to some extent. I've had managers/directors tell me to be more outspoken about what I'm accomplishing, so I'm working on it.

I had this problem when I was younger. In 1st grade I was sent to the 2nd grade class for reading. At that age (for me anyway) that was traumatic! I had no friends, they were all older than me and it singled me out and different. Everyone called me smart and I didn't like that. I struggled. In 2nd grade I was moved to the 3rd grade class and couldn't do it another year, so I acted like I wasn't able to keep up. Looking back that was stupid. Maybe I could have skipped a grade if I'd just stuck with it. Oh well. Live and learn.
  • ShibaEars
    ShibaEars Posts: 3,928 Member
    Options
    Talkradio wrote: »
    I confess that I'm really, really annoyed that MFP is releasing a Premium version that contains so many features their loyal users have been asking for since Lord-knows-when. I feel like an old friend has betrayed me. :|:s:'(

I was gonna switch to fat secret this morning cause I like that site too but I have a lot of friends on here.

Sometimes I feel like my online friendships are getting in the way of my real life friendships.

Sometimes I like my online friends more than my real life friends :)

I'm nicer to my online friends.
  • ShibaEars
    Options
    Just got told I'm eating at Chuck E Cheese tonight. As a native of New Jersey, I am proficient at Skee-ball. All of the tokens shall be mine!

Skee-ball rocks. Sadly I do not get to play very often. I am lacking in skee-ball skillz
  • CountessKitteh
    CountessKitteh Posts: 1,505 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options

I do this too. I tell people I'm totally awesome all the time (and I am), but I rarely give actual reasons why, since it feels so awkward. My hubby-to-be is pretty good at bragging for me. ;)

Edit: Spelling is hard.
  • ShibaEars
    Options
    BZAH10 wrote: »

I had this problem when I was younger. In 1st grade I was sent to the 2nd grade class for reading. At that age (for me anyway) that was traumatic! I had no friends, they were all older than me and it singled me out and different. Everyone called me smart and I didn't like that. I struggled. In 2nd grade I was moved to the 3rd grade class and couldn't do it another year, so I acted like I wasn't able to keep up. Looking back that was stupid. Maybe I could have skipped a grade if I'd just stuck with it. Oh well. Live and learn.

It would've been for me too. I don't like being singled out and while I want to be good at things and be acknowledged, I get embarrassed when I do finally get that acknowledgment and try to brush it off.

I had a quick internal argument with myself last night after I was complimented. I was about to make excuses, brush it off but told myself to shut up because why can't I be good at something? I'm kind of glad it was after everyone else was gone because I feel like otherwise it would draw more attention to me.
  • kellienw335
    kellienw335 Posts: 1,745 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    I confess that I'm really, really annoyed that MFP is releasing a Premium version that contains so many features their loyal users have been asking for since Lord-knows-when. I feel like an old friend has betrayed me. :|:s:'(

I don't even think I care about any of the new features (depends what they are, but I'm fine as is), but I don't like the idea of having premium members and regular members, seems weird.

I hate change, though. It's a flaw. [Heh, I just noticed that you said that too in a subsequent post--not directed at you!]

In other confessions, I'm ridiculously amused that when my eyes fell across the most recent threads in the list of forums and topics it gave me: "diet coke, bacon, master cleanse"

Was that cleanse created by @AgentOrangeJuice and do you have a link?
  • jorinya
    jorinya Posts: 933 Member
    Options
    I ate a cookie in the kitchen behind everyone's back and felt so naughty. Then I realised it wasn't going to effect my calorie intake for the day and felt ok. I was hungry so I ate. Simple as that. I'm relearning how to listen to my body and know when I am hungry.
  • kellienw335
    kellienw335 Posts: 1,745 Member
    Options

Not wrong! From some of your posts, it seems that you are a little down right now, and sometimes when you've been down for awhile, it's hard to remember how to be proud and hold your head up high, but that's exactly what you should do!
  • JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options

I don't even think I care about any of the new features (depends what they are, but I'm fine as is), but I don't like the idea of having premium members and regular members, seems weird.

I hate change, though. It's a flaw. [Heh, I just noticed that you said that too in a subsequent post--not directed at you!]

In other confessions, I'm ridiculously amused that when my eyes fell across the most recent threads in the list of forums and topics it gave me: "diet coke, bacon, master cleanse"

Most of the features are things they already have for free on other sites. It came out around page 7 or so that it also breaks the existing scripts people are using, so that your only option now is to pay them the $50/yr to set your macros by gram. That's really going to be the tipping point for me. If karo doesn't get updated, or if the net carb script breaks, there's no reason for me to be here over SP.
  • Italian_Buju
    Italian_Buju Posts: 8,030 Member
    Options

Really? Like what?
  • JPW1990
    Options

Really? Like what?
    http://www.xda-developers.com/myfitnesspal-secret-admin-menu-leaks-premium-features/

a1v6i5ileaym.png

atmbj2pnn2no.png
  • jorinya
    jorinya Posts: 933 Member
    Options
    You guys and my wife, she lusts over The Rock and Vin Diesel.

Can you smell what The Rock is cooking? No cos I am not there. I just love The Rock and my husband knows he has to be quiet when I'm watching a film with The Rock in it.
  • AgentOrangeJuice
    AgentOrangeJuice Posts: 1,069 Member
    Options
    JPW1990 wrote: »

Really? Like what?
    http://www.xda-developers.com/myfitnesspal-secret-admin-menu-leaks-premium-features/

a1v6i5ileaym.png

atmbj2pnn2no.png

6.99 a month, and there's no videos?
  • JPW1990
    Options

Really? Like what?

a1v6i5ileaym.png

atmbj2pnn2no.png

But it will yell at you twice as much for your "bad" food choices.
  • Italian_Buju
    Italian_Buju Posts: 8,030 Member
    Options
    That customer service this is crap
    not that I have ever had to contact them, but I do not like that people are getting 'bumped'
    Other than that, I do not really care lol
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options

Really? Like what?

a1v6i5ileaym.png

atmbj2pnn2no.png

But it will yell at you twice as much for your "bad" food choices.

Yes it's my #1 reason NOT to get it, lol.

PMS is striking and I have 200 calories left for dinner. Woke up hungry at 6am and been hungry all day and had the worst craving for cheesecake after lunch, but didn't want to blow it on a 700 calorie piece of cheesecake, and I was impatient, so I got two Trader Joe's cookie butter cheesecake bites out of the freezer and ate them frozen. Then I had a piece of chocolate.

I'm now contemplating going to the store to buy groceries for this week end (they have frozen veggies on sale for $1) and wondering if it's really such a good idea today.
  • AgentOrangeJuice
    AgentOrangeJuice Posts: 1,069 Member
    Options
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

Most of the features are things they already have for free on other sites. It came out around page 7 or so that it also breaks the existing scripts people are using, so that your only option now is to pay them the $50/yr to set your macros by gram. That's really going to be the tipping point for me. If karo doesn't get updated, or if the net carb script breaks, there's no reason for me to be here over SP.

Unfortunately I think it's more fun here than the only other place I've tried (Livestrong) and the logging is better even with the flaws, and plus I have history built up and meals and friends, so I'm staying.

It's annoying they want you to pay for those things, but while I'd like to be able to do some of that, I don't need it.