Confession Time! ((ABSOLUTELY NO JUDGEMENT))

Options

Replies

• spamarie
    spamarie Posts: 2,825 Member
    Options
    xMrBunglex wrote: »
    Arg.

I confess that I've been fighting getting readers for a few months now. About a year ago it was like a switch got flipped in my head. I suddenly couldn't read magazines, ingredients on packaging, and audits at work were giving me headaches.

Soooo I finally went and bought some $20 Foster Grant readers at the store...and it makes all the difference in the world. DAMMIT.

I had 20/16 vision growing up & through adulthood, but now at age 46 it's official...I'm the reader-perched-on-the-head-guy.

DAMMIT

I've been wearing reading glasses since I was 19. It's almost a blessing starting so young with them, because I don't associate my deteriorating vision with 'getting old', just genetics (nearly everyone in my family was wearing glasses by the age of 25). I've decided they make me look intelligent.
  • LBuehrle8
    LBuehrle8 Posts: 4,044 Member
    Options
    Thank you everybody but I posted the pic since it's the only one I have of me in my glasses! He just happens to be in it too, he'd be so mad if he knew I put that out there whoops :#
  • LBuehrle8
    Options
    @pofoster21 I thought I woke up early at 5! What time do you get up?

And by the way I HIGHLY recommend Friends (TV show) it's on Netflix now and I've watched the whole series twice! It's just so funny and it always puts me in a good mood if I'm feeling blue :(
  • Jazzybrass
    Jazzybrass Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    ythannah wrote: »
    BZAH10 wrote: »
    xMrBunglex wrote: »
    Arg.

I confess that I've been fighting getting readers for a few months now. About a year ago it was like a switch got flipped in my head. I suddenly couldn't read magazines, ingredients on packaging, and audits at work were giving me headaches.

Soooo I finally went and bought some $20 Foster Grant readers at the store...and it makes all the difference in the world. DAMMIT.

I had 20/16 vision growing up & through adulthood, but now at age 46 it's official...I'm the reader-perched-on-the-head-guy.

DAMMIT

Oh, I'm so resisting this myself! Exactly the same for me. I'm 43 but recently I struggle to read packaging and the names of the color on the bottom of nail polish. So far, I'm taking the approach that my eyes are not getting bad due to age, but the darn print is getting smaller! Solution: I carry a small magnifying glass in my purse. I'll resist buying readers for as long as I can. My whole life I've been the only person in my family with perfect eyesight. So depressing.

I admit I am 44 now and about 6 months ago I gave in and bought a pair of readers. It was a sad day but on the upside I have gotten some compliments on how well they suit me :)

51 and just bought my first pair to actually carry around with me in my purse. I've had a pair at home for the really fine stuff like pill bottles and threading needles for a couple of years.

I always thought people wearing readers looked so wise and knowledgeable, I'm not unhappy to join their ranks. And I have the perfect long nose to wear them, right at the end so I can still look over them. Lol.

The final straw was after I had picked up a prescription for my son and when I got home I couldn't read the directions lol

May I ask a stupid question? Are reader reading glasses that do not have a prescription? I have not heard this word in this contxt before
  • orangesmartie
    orangesmartie Posts: 1,870 Member
    Options
    pofoster21 wrote: »
    So where are my early morning pals today? @orangesmartie and @Lois_1989? I guess it's not quite 9 am in England so not settled into posting yet. I guess I missed you! Have a great day and I'll leave p. 758 to the Brits today!

I'm here!!! I was a bit late to work this morning, overslept. And then spent a lot of time talking with colleagues. and pretending to work. I tend to catch up on the thread and binge post in the mornings. I do read int he evening, but less likely to post. I moan at my partners for much time we spend staring at screens instead of talking to one another, so I have to practice what i preach a bit.

I have noticed though, the more time i spend on this thread, the slower the day seems to pass. I do not like this.

• spamarie
    Options
    LBuehrle8 wrote: »
    Omg did someone mention Harry Potter?! Yes they did so here I am! I've never tried to read the LOTR series but have always wanted to do so and I did try to read GOT but got completely lost trying to follow the story line in the first
    Book and gave up :(

I never got on with harry potter either. i just wanted to slap him.

I only ever wanted to slap him in the 5th book. He got really whiny in that book. BUT... @LBuehrle8 if you loved Harry Potter you will likely really like LOTR. I always felt that Harry Potter was like a dumbed down LOTR. Probably just because of the fantasy. But I am sure I will spark some kind of argument with that so please forgive me. I love both series. :)

AHH plugging my ears I can't hear you la la la la (with the negative talk of HP) I have always wanted to read the LOTR series! What is the first book to start with? I know the movie the Hobbit came out after the trilogy so I'm not sure where to start :/

You could read the Hobbit first, but it isn't really necessary. I read it years after LOTR. The books go : the fellowship of the ring, the two towers, the return of the king.
  • spamarie
    Options
    So I'm late to the game but whatever.

- I'm from Connecticut so I don't really have a very recognizable accent. If anything, our accent sort of borrows a little from Boston and steals a bit from New York ;)

- I love the color red but don't quite feel confident enough to rock it in large amounts. To my last job interview though, I wore red heels, charcoal gray pants, a black shirt, a necklace with a red stone, and carried a red purse. I may not get the job, but I looked freakin' fabulous! I'd highly recommend adding a splash of red to an outfit :)

- I totally remember the old "Degrassi"! That and "Fifteen" starring a pre-dental work Ryan Reynolds, LOL!

- I don't much like apples (unless they are in pie/crisp form) but I like Honeycrisps.

- I've worn glasses since the 3rd grade, including some hideously huge Sally Jessy Raphael ones in the late 80s. For the last who-knows-how-many years, I've been wearing round silver wireframes. With my short dark hair and green eyes, I kind of look like Harry Potter from the books, LOL.

Confession: I'm so over the whole "unemployment" thing, but I'm even MORE over the whole "interview" thing. Just give me the damn job or stop wasting my time. So sick of being evaluated and judged and feeling like a failure. :/ I had another interview today - not sure how it went but fingers crossed - and I left feeling overwhelmed and analyzing all the things I did wrong. I'm a little proud that when I stopped at the store to pick up a few essentials, I didn't buy a bunch of junk food to make myself feel better. Small victories, right?

Fingers-crossed for you. I decided it was time for a new job last years (although I was in the luxurious position of still being employed and not needing to hurry too much) and I went to loads of rubbish interviews. I was getting fairly disheartened. Then after a number of months, I ended up getting two good offers within 24 hours and had to pick. It can happen! And I hope it happens for you sooner rather than later. Took me about 9 months though, so perseverance is key.
  • misskarne
    misskarne Posts: 1,765 Member
    Options
    I'm sure I confessed this before, but I'll confess it again

I wish my body burned the calories of the sport I am watching

I would be rail thin if I could do that

it would be amazing
  • spamarie
    Options
    I had my first ever hysterical pregnant lady moment yesterday evening. Sobbing and gulping and unable to form proper sentences for NO REASON! I mean, I was legitimately annoyed about something (can't even remember what), but it wasn't anything major. I'm all, 'I can't *SOB* believe I'm being *SOB*so stereotypical, *SOB I'm not even *SOB* that upset!' And then I got upset I was crying over nothing and that made me cry some more. And I'm not even 9 weeks yet. Hilarious.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    spamarie wrote: »
    Omg did someone mention Harry Potter?! Yes they did so here I am! I've never tried to read the LOTR series but have always wanted to do so and I did try to read GOT but got completely lost trying to follow the story line in the first
    Book and gave up :(

I never got on with harry potter either. i just wanted to slap him.

I only ever wanted to slap him in the 5th book. He got really whiny in that book. BUT... @LBuehrle8 if you loved Harry Potter you will likely really like LOTR. I always felt that Harry Potter was like a dumbed down LOTR. Probably just because of the fantasy. But I am sure I will spark some kind of argument with that so please forgive me. I love both series. :)

AHH plugging my ears I can't hear you la la la la (with the negative talk of HP) I have always wanted to read the LOTR series! What is the first book to start with? I know the movie the Hobbit came out after the trilogy so I'm not sure where to start :/

You could read the Hobbit first, but it isn't really necessary. I read it years after LOTR. The books go : the fellowship of the ring, the two towers, the return of the king.

Or just skip it. Really. It's so boring. I waited until all the movies came out to read it and saying I was disappointed doesn't even cover half of it. I thought it totally sucked.

Confession - really regretting my brioche binge from last night after I was up at 5.30am and had to spend 30 minutes on the toilet, and I'm still feeling pretty awful. PMS sucks,
  • qn4bx9pzg8aifd
    qn4bx9pzg8aifd Posts: 258 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Jazzybrass wrote: »
    May I ask a stupid question? Are reader reading glasses that do not have a prescription? I have not heard this word in this contxt before
    It's not a stupid question... and one would need to hear or see it used in a few contexts to be able to conclude the broadest 'definition' that technically applies....

..."readers" and "reading glasses" are terms which often refer to eyeglasses with lenses that do not involve a prescription from a doctor (i.e. they're over-the-counter reading glasses) -- and which can be either straightforward 'magnifiers', or involve not-very-strong corrective 'strengths' -- and which are used by many for reading (and for seeing text on various objects if/when held within the same relative distance as would be associated if/when reading a book/magazine/newspaper(/label/mail/small print))...

In the U.S., there are various states which have an explicit restriction on what the maximum strength can be for non-prescription 'corrective' readers... and some states restrict the sale of non-prescription -strength/'over-the-counter' bifocals (such that a prescription is required) -- but over-the-counter bifocals do exist, and can involve the 'distance' portion of such a bifocal being non-magnified, while the close-up lens (which would be used for close distances, which includes (and for many, would primarily be used for) reading) can be a straightforward 'magnifier', or can involve a likely-limited-by-state-law, relatively low 'corrective' strength.

All that being said... technically, "reading glasses" refers to eyeglasses used for reading, and (technically) includes prescription eyeglasses as well as non-prescription/over-the-counter eyeglasses... but (and in the U.S., in particular) the term has tended to frequently be used in contexts for which over-the-counter glasses are implied... and over-the-counter glasses tend to be much cheaper than what prescription eyeglasses would cost... and for those who are just beginning to encounter the typical aging-related change in eyes which often requires use of glasses for reading, and/or those for whom the strength of any 'corrective' lens (for reading purposes) is relatively low, they tend to (and understandably) gravitate toward purchase and use of over-the-counter reading glasses (until such time as they're 'forced' (by circumstance(/required strength, etc.)) to go with prescription lenses).
  • jamesPercy1985
    jamesPercy1985 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    sigh...When I found that I couldn't eat peanut butter in moderation, and had to get it out of my apartment ASAP, I not only threw it away-I drowned the jar in water first so I wouldn't be tempted...

I can't believe I shared that.
    Got the same problem

• kelly_c_77
    kelly_c_77 Posts: 5,658 Member
    Options
    BZAH10 wrote: »
    MoHousdon wrote: »
    IAmTheGlue wrote: »
    IAmTheGlue wrote: »
    AlciaMode wrote: »
    So I mentioned earlier that the swimsuit I wanted was sold out. My husband felt bad so he went on Amazon and picked out 4 similar suits and ordered them for me. My confession, I don't deserve such a fantastic man, I'm just glad he doesn't know that. ;)

What a guy!!!

I second that statement. Can we clone him?

Knock yourself out. Let me know how that works out for you. :smile: He's not without flaws though. His flatulence can clear full rooms and he tends to be a workaholic. He is a perfectionist so when he sets a goal, he'll do whatever it takes to reach it. That's both a gift and curse.

God definitely knew what He was doing when He molded that guy. I'm just incredibly humbled He chose me for him. *I'm not crying.

To all you singles out there, DO NOT SETTLE! You deserve someone that thinks the world of you and will do whatever it takes to make you feel like the most important person in their life. If they don't, move on. Luckily, God practically dropped my honey in lap. He knew I was lazy. :smiley:

^ This! I have the same kind of husband. He's my second husband and if I knew what marriage or a relationship *could* feel like, I wouldn't have spent so long with the abusive a$$hat I married first.

I am grateful everyday for my husband. That would be my 2nd best relationship advice: Don't settle. Don't settle. Don't settle.

Working on it. I am a happily divorced 26 year old.

May I ask what the 1st best relationship advice you have is?

My very best relationship advice is: be yourself. 100% exactly who you are from the get go. No best manners. No holding back. Just be 100% the real you, flaws and all. If you leave your cups on the coffee table all week and carry 7 coffee cups to the dishwasher on Saturday , do it from the very beginning. Whatever your worst is... they deserve to know the truth.

I was divorced and happily single for well over a year before I met my husband. I was a single mom of 3 little kids (6, 4 & 2 years old). I wasn't dating anyone and definitely wasn't looking. My washer and fridge died in under a week. We had a new maintenance man at work. I asked him to come look at them and he did. I literally needed those things fixed. I wasn't just trying to pick him up

Anyway, he asked if he could take me to eat after he looked at them and I was all "I don't need a man. I'm not looking for a relationship. But, I will tell you what... you be you...exactly who you are. I'll be me. Exactly who I am. No best behavior or pretending to be someone your aren't. If we click, great. If not, we are no worse off than we are right now. No pretending."

He agreed. I have been exactly me ever since. I was just trying to avoid heartache later when we realized that it actually wouldnt work but had put all this time in getting to know each other. We are very good together and I chalk it up to blatant honesty in who we are.

So, that is my best advice... be yourself. Don't settle. :)

I was going to suggest the same thing. My man knew who he was getting from the jump. I NEVER pretend to be something I'm not. There is no "best behavior" for me, there's just my behavior. Take it or leave it.

I'm glad you agree! I like you!

My husband was a bit of the opposite. I became quite uptight while being with my ex. I had to put on a happy face when we went out. He had high expectations and standards. He once told me that he expected to remain in my work /dress clothes after coming home and would me expect me to wear them while making dinner. I had to listen to his music (he would go as far as change the radio station in my car without asking... I would turn it back and he would get mad).

My husband broke open my shell and allowed me to be goofy and allowed me to be silly without being embarrassed. It was so empowering

And then you killed him. The End.

Really glad you got away from that idiot! Very happy to hear that you are happy now.

This made me laugh forever.......

Same here!
  • LBuehrle8
    Options
    spamarie wrote: »
    I had my first ever hysterical pregnant lady moment yesterday evening. Sobbing and gulping and unable to form proper sentences for NO REASON! I mean, I was legitimately annoyed about something (can't even remember what), but it wasn't anything major. I'm all, 'I can't *SOB* believe I'm being *SOB*so stereotypical, *SOB I'm not even *SOB* that upset!' And then I got upset I was crying over nothing and that made me cry some more. And I'm not even 9 weeks yet. Hilarious.

Aw! I'm sure it was annoying for you but that's such a cute story!! Yay for pregnancy and babies I'm so excited for you!
  • Jazzybrass
    Options
    It's not a stupid question... and one would need to hear or see it used in a few contexts to be able to conclude the broadest 'definition' that technically applies....

..."readers" and "reading glasses" are terms which often refer to eyeglasses with lenses that do not involve a prescription from a doctor (i.e. they're over-the-counter reading glasses) -- and which can be either straightforward 'magnifiers', or involve not-very-strong corrective 'strengths' -- and which are used by many for reading (and for seeing text on various objects if/when held within the same relative distance as would be associated if/when reading a book/magazine/newspaper(/label/mail/small print))...

In the U.S., there are various states which have an explicit restriction on what the maximum strength can be for non-prescription 'corrective' readers... and some states restrict the sale of non-prescription -strength/'over-the-counter' bifocals (such that a prescription is required) -- but over-the-counter bifocals do exist, and can involve the 'distance' portion of such a bifocal being non-magnified, while the close-up lens (which would be used for close distances, which includes (and for many, would primarily be used for) reading) can be a straightforward 'magnifier', or can involve a likely-limited-by-state-law, relatively low 'corrective' strength.

All that being said... technically, "reading glasses" refers to eyeglasses used for reading, and (technically) includes prescription eyeglasses as well as non-prescription/over-the-counter eyeglasses... but (and in the U.S., in particular) the term has tended to frequently be used in contexts for which over-the-counter glasses are implied... and over-the-counter glasses tend to be much cheaper than what prescription eyeglasses would cost... and for those who are just beginning to encounter the typical aging-related change in eyes which often requires use of glasses for reading, and/or those for whom the strength of any 'corrective' lens (for reading purposes) is relatively low, they tend to (and understandably) gravitate toward purchase and use of over-the-counter reading glasses (until such time as they're 'forced' (by circumstance(/required strength, etc.)) to go with prescription lenses).

Thanks! I am Australian and love reading the different versions of the English language.

My confession, my year 8 English class really annoyed me, so I got revenge by having vegemite chocolate for the prize for the quiz lesson
  • Jazzybrass
    Options
    Second confession: I am being forced to teach English (maths teacher); I apologise for the crap punctuation and sentence structure
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options

Thanks! I am Australian and love reading the different versions of the English language.

My confession, my year 8 English class really annoyed me, so I got revenge by having vegemite chocolate for the prize for the quiz lesson

Lol. Evil.

I just stole 2 of my daughter's probiotics because I don't have any and my intestines hate me right now.

ETA: also just threw a fit because someone opened the bag of my favorite cookies that my mom brought home and left the bag open for I don't know how long. Now they're probably stale. I'm seriously pissed off!
  • LBuehrle8
    Options

So neat!
  • LBuehrle8
    Options
    Confession- I've only been at work for an hour and a half and I'm already trying to come up with excuses to leave for the day. I'm tired! o:)
  • AngryViking1970
    AngryViking1970 Posts: 2,847 Member
    Options
    It is almost midnight and I am waiting for my son to get home from work so I can go to bed.

The sad dad stories really got to me today.

When my dad died he was shoveling the drive way and had a heart attack. A neighbor found him. He drove me to school that morning (I was 15), when he did not pick me up, I called, and a cop answered the phone and told me he had died and to come home right away. I actually told the cop that he usually picked me up from school at the other end of town, and I did not know how to get home. His reply was that they would be there when I got there.

I ran back in the school and had a teacher drive me home. Later that day, when I went outside, his hat, eye glasses, blood and vomit were all over the drive way.

At the funeral, in true 'mother' style, she caused a big scene and picked him up out of the casket....I will never forget the crude autopsy scar on the back of his head.

I do not think I will ever fully get over that.

OMG, how absolutely awful. I'm so sorry.