I am an internet know-it-all with an advanced degree...ask me anything about health, fitness or life

Options

Replies

• Carpedieznutz
    Carpedieznutz Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    Why is Bing better than Google?

^Is @asflatasapancake wrong because he is a man or misinformed?
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,642 Member
    Options

^Is @asflatasapancake wrong because he is a man or misinformed?

I think he's just special.
  • _John_
    Options

because you live in a world made of anti-matter.
  • CJisinShape
    CJisinShape Posts: 1,407 Member
    Options
    And yet it does. Brilliantly.

I remember a documentary of scientists using the latest in prosthetics, robotics, and an impressive array of processors. It cost nearly $1 million dollars to build.

It couldn't walk.
    Seems like an odd argument. Humans can't build something that can do certain things humans can do, therefore the human body works brilliantly? Humans have built machines that can lift weights far greater than we can. We've built machines that can solve mathematical problems (and hence real life problems) that we could never hope to do ourselves. There are robots that can walk, run, and even dance (for $8000 or less). But I don't see how any of these things has any bearing at all on how well the human body works.

The human body does not work "brilliantly". If it was that great it wouldn't suffer from cancer, diabetes, multiple sclerosis, polio, congenital heart defects, and the many other problems that cut people's lives short. If it was brilliant, the birth canal wouldn't be small enough to cause complications for so many infants, the spine wouldn't be so prone to injury, and the knees wouldn't fail for so many people. A brilliant design wouldn't have us breathe and eat through the same tube, give us low-resolution eyes that see upside down and have a blind-spot, put a man's testicles on the outside... I could go on.

So by all means be happy to be alive, and be amazed that complex life exists. But don't delude yourself into thinking that the human body is some kind of marvel of engineering. If those scientists building robots had designed something like the human body, I think the designer would be fired for incompetence.

I've been sick, very sick too - I had gallbladder disease. I was also blind. I've lost people I loved because they died. I am happy to be alive, happy to be healthy, happy to see without contacts, glasses or surgery.

I don't know of any machine that a person has made that lasts forever and never breaks down or need repair. Do you know of any?

Do you know of machines that can innovate new machines?

A supercomputer was recently able to replicate 1 second of human brain activity.

It took 82,944 processors 40 minutes to produce 1 second of human brain activity.

So yes, the human body, is, incredible.

I am wonderfully and fearfully made and that, marvelous are [God's] works, and that my soul knows right well. - King David

• thefluffyone
    thefluffyone Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I don't know of any machine that a person has made that lasts forever and never breaks down or need repair. Do you know of any?
    https://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/strawman

My argument is simply that the human body is terribly flawed. You're the one who introduced the comparison with machines, and I already said I don't think that's relevant.
    I am wonderfully and fearfully made and that, marvelous are [God's] works, and that my soul knows right well. - King David
    Ah, now I see there is no point trying to debate this with you. If you think the human body is incredible because "God made it", better men than I have given up trying to present evidence to the contrary. I shall save my sanity and walk away now.
  • _John_
    Options
    81883.jpg
  • _John_
    Options

My argument is simply that the human body is terribly flawed. You're the one who introduced the comparison with machines, and I already said I don't think that's relevant.
    Ah, now I see there is no point trying to debate this with you. If you think the human body is incredible because "God made it", better men than I have given up trying to present evidence to the contrary. I shall save my sanity and walk away now.

Did I take a wrong turn? We are still in the Chit-Chat, Fun and Games section, right?

*kitten*...while we're *kitten* up my thread, can we discuss the Duggars or the current war against the police, or the economy, or some other current topic not allowed by MFP?
  • thefluffyone
    thefluffyone Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Did I take a wrong turn? We are still in the Chit-Chat, Fun and Games section, right?
    Fair point; caught me on a bad couple of days on a subject that really irks me. Nothing to see here, move along...
  • _John_
    Options
    Ok. I'll get us back on track, sugar.

How many licks does it take to get to the center of a Tootsie Roll Tootsie Pop?

3 if you have a really strong beak.
  • CJisinShape
    Options

Speaking of your sanity, I'm sure the supercomputer that took 40 min. to replicate 1 second of human brain calculations takes up a bit of juice (and space). The juice - 9.89 MW – the equivalent of almost 10,000 suburban homes.

The space:
    erubhe0fxq4k.jpg

Yet, the human brain takes up only 3 lbs and uses about 10-15 watts PER DAY. Whew! Talk about efficiency!

http://beforeitsnews.com/health/2012/05/incredible-facts-about-the-human-body-2130834.html

1. The stomach’s digestive acids are strong enough to dissolve zinc. Fortunately for us, the cells in the stomach lining renew so quickly that the acids don’t have time to dissolve it.

4. Human bone is as strong as granite in supporting weight. A block of bone the size of a matchbox can support 9 tonnes – that is four times as much as concrete can support.

[edited to add my own bit - it's just as strong as granite, yet is incredibly light. Amazing!]

10. The focusing muscles of the eyes move around 100,000 times a day. To give your leg muscles the same workout, you would need to walk 80km (50 miles) every day.

• _incogNEATo_
    _incogNEATo_ Posts: 4,543 Member
    Options
    55451182.jpg
  • CJisinShape
    Options
    55451182.jpg

:D:D:D

1) Is it just me or is that guy very good looking? How many out of 10?

• CJisinShape
    Options
    What is another word for thesaurus?
  • _John_
    Options

Brontosaurus
  • CJisinShape
    Options
    _John_ wrote: »

Brontosaurus

Actually Brontosaurus is another word for Apatosaur. I'm starting to wonder about your know-it-all claim....hmmm.