Confession Time! ((ABSOLUTELY NO JUDGEMENT))

Options

Replies

• MoHousdon
    MoHousdon Posts: 8,722 Member
    Options
    pofoster21 wrote: »
    MoHousdon wrote: »
    MoHousdon wrote: »
    LBuehrle8 wrote: »
    misskarne wrote: »
    I know you hate people apologising for asking you questions, @Susieq_1994, but I only do because I feel like that stereotypical ignorant privileged white girl, and I don't want to offend.

So...there is that - robe, I'm sorry, I don't know the word for it - the long black one with the head and face covering. But it gets to 60C in Oman, right? So, um...how do the women not die of heatstroke?

That's alright, it doesn't offend me! :)

It's called an abaya, and most of them don't cover the head or face--They're basically just black dresses. I wear one myself. The headscarf and niqab (face covering) are all separate pieces. There is one that has a head covering attached as well, but these are mostly worn by older ladies, as it's just an older style.

That said, I wear the abaya and headscarf. I don't find it hot, personally--I actually find it cooler than when I wear "regular" clothing like skirts and blouses because the abaya tends to be very lightweight. It's also because I've been covering for a very long time--If I didn't cover, I'd probably feel hotter due to the sun burning my skin!

My sister wears a niqab, and according to her, it did feel very hot in the first week, but she says it doesn't feel like that anymore now that she's used to it.

Just an add-on: The abaya isn't a must, Islamically. Women are encouraged not to wear very bright colors for the purpose of attracting men (yes, men have a rule that involves not attracting women--it isn't a sexist rule), but you're allowed to wear whatever color you like, as long as you're covered properly.

I prefer the abaya in Saudi Arabia because everyone wears it (I've seen like... two people so far that didn't... Even the non-Muslims wear it!) and I just don't want to stand out. In Oman, I often wear regular colored dresses, skirts, blouses, etc. Unless I'm lazy. Because the abaya is really easy to just throw on and be done. ;)

Can I ask some follow ups? You say your sister wears a niqab; was that something she decided to do as an adult? And how did she come to that decision? And are you wearing your regular clothes under the abaya? Or is it like a "dress".

Thanks for educating me! :)

Yes, she decided to start wearing it two years ago. Nobody else in our family wears it and she's unmarried, so nobody influenced her in that decision--in Islam there are some scholars (I refuse to count the Sheikh Google people...) who believe the niqab is obligatory, and others who believe it is simply recommended based on evidence from the Qur'an and hadith. After doing some studying, my sister chose to go with the scholars who believe it's obligatory, and began covering her face from then on.

You do have to wear clothing under an abaya--it's basically a cover, but the material is too thin to wear with nothing but underwear underneath, for example. I usually wear jeans and a tank top underneath it--since we have to remain covered, it's best to have your legs covered in case the wind blows it up, for example. :) But I would wear the same under a dress, actually, although I would probably wear cotton pants underneath in that case.

Oh, can I ask if you have one of these? I've always wondered if it was hard to swim in the modest suits, because of the extra fabric:

8r71esdpgap0.jpg

Nope, I don't own one--those suits actually don't meet the fardh (obligatory) requirements for modest clothing for women, especially because they cling when they're wet, and the shape of the body is revealed, which is the major requirement of covering.

If I'm going to swim, I swim in an all-women's facility with a modest swimsuit (even women aren't supposed to reveal nakedness to other women) or just jump into the ocean fully clothed because that's fun. ;)

Am I the only one who loves being naked? I don't know why but I do! Could be because ( I know I say this a lot but it's true) I really have no shame...haters going to hate!

I hate being naked. I hate skin touching skin. And I totally hate when running any part of my body touching any other part. I tried running in a sports bra ONCE. Never again. Yes I am a prude (I believe I have said this before).

I hate being naked too. Even in the shower. I get dressed as soon as humanly possible. I put on undies right after a shower.

Hmm not being naked in the shower might be hard...but I dress immediately as well. Or put a robe on. I don't like to be without undies either.

Is it T-8 now? Or 7?

I know it's impossible to be unnaked in the shower, but I get in and get out with the quickness.

Yesterday was T-7 but now, it's T-6 or 5 depending on when you're reading this.

T-5 you must be so excited! I hope you and the hubby have everything all straightened out so you can just enjoy yourselves!

I assume you know I was kidding on the shower (is hard to tell sometimes in this forum and I don't want you thinking I was being sarcastic).

Because I'm so incredibly sarcastic, I just assume everyone is too. No worries. :smiley:

We are VERY excited and cannot wait. I will elaborate on this later.

• riderfangal
    riderfangal Posts: 1,965 Member
    Options
    spamarie wrote: »
    I know you hate people apologising for asking you questions, @Susieq_1994, but I only do because I feel like that stereotypical ignorant privileged white girl, and I don't want to offend.

So...there is that - robe, I'm sorry, I don't know the word for it - the long black one with the head and face covering. But it gets to 60C in Oman, right? So, um...how do the women not die of heatstroke?

It's called an abaya, and most of them don't cover the head or face--They're basically just black dresses. I wear one myself. The headscarf and niqab (face covering) are all separate pieces. There is one that has a head covering attached as well, but these are mostly worn by older ladies, as it's just an older style.

That said, I wear the abaya and headscarf. I don't find it hot, personally--I actually find it cooler than when I wear "regular" clothing like skirts and blouses because the abaya tends to be very lightweight. It's also because I've been covering for a very long time--If I didn't cover, I'd probably feel hotter due to the sun burning my skin!

My sister wears a niqab, and according to her, it did feel very hot in the first week, but she says it doesn't feel like that anymore now that she's used to it.

Just an add-on: The abaya isn't a must, Islamically. Women are encouraged not to wear very bright colors for the purpose of attracting men (yes, men have a rule that involves not attracting women--it isn't a sexist rule), but you're allowed to wear whatever color you like, as long as you're covered properly.

I prefer the abaya in Saudi Arabia because everyone wears it (I've seen like... two people so far that didn't... Even the non-Muslims wear it!) and I just don't want to stand out. In Oman, I often wear regular colored dresses, skirts, blouses, etc. Unless I'm lazy. Because the abaya is really easy to just throw on and be done. ;)

Can I ask some follow ups? You say your sister wears a niqab; was that something she decided to do as an adult? And how did she come to that decision? And are you wearing your regular clothes under the abaya? Or is it like a "dress".

Yes, she decided to start wearing it two years ago. Nobody else in our family wears it and she's unmarried, so nobody influenced her in that decision--in Islam there are some scholars (I refuse to count the Sheikh Google people...) who believe the niqab is obligatory, and others who believe it is simply recommended based on evidence from the Qur'an and hadith. After doing some studying, my sister chose to go with the scholars who believe it's obligatory, and began covering her face from then on.

You do have to wear clothing under an abaya--it's basically a cover, but the material is too thin to wear with nothing but underwear underneath, for example. I usually wear jeans and a tank top underneath it--since we have to remain covered, it's best to have your legs covered in case the wind blows it up, for example. :) But I would wear the same under a dress, actually, although I would probably wear cotton pants underneath in that case.

Oh, can I ask if you have one of these? I've always wondered if it was hard to swim in the modest suits, because of the extra fabric:

8r71esdpgap0.jpg

Nope, I don't own one--those suits actually don't meet the fardh (obligatory) requirements for modest clothing for women, especially because they cling when they're wet, and the shape of the body is revealed, which is the major requirement of covering.

If I'm going to swim, I swim in an all-women's facility with a modest swimsuit (even women aren't supposed to reveal nakedness to other women) or just jump into the ocean fully clothed because that's fun. ;)

I'm not even totally caught up, but I am SO GLAD you opened up to us here @Susieq_1994 and are giving us all this info, both about your culture and your own personal self. I just gotta let it out: This girl *kitten* rocks!

Same goes for a lot of our regulars: @MoHousdon @Italian_Buju (BTW we are testing some AWESOME stuff here at my facility regarding diabetes, might be while before human clinical trials though.) @BZAH10 @pofoster21 @quiksylver296 @FrancI27 (I hope that's the right one) Sorry if I forgot some peeps! I love this thread so much. I think I love this thread more than I love guacamole.... and that's REALLY saying something.

You, I like. I have been known to make a quick and dirty quacamole (diced avocado, halved grape tomatoes, some salt/garlic/lime juice) for breakfast.

I have never tried guacamole.....or avocado actually....

I keep trying to will myself to like avocado but I can't. It is gross! Bleurgh.

Add me to the avocado aversion side. My sister keeps telling me I will like them if I just keep trying but not gonna happen. Why would I waste calories on something I don't even like?
  • kelly_c_77
    kelly_c_77 Posts: 5,658 Member
    Options
    m1xm0d3 wrote: »
    annette_15 wrote: »
    My previous 3 mile pr on the elliptical was 41:05, today I beat it at 40:01, but I'm mad because my goal has been to get under 40 minutes for a long time lol...dammit.

Anyways, EDC tomorrow and OMG I cannot contain my excitement :open_mouth: Here's a live stream if anyone wants to see what its all about https://screen.yahoo.com/live/event/edc-1

I'll post some pictures on sunday after we get back!!

NIce. I have been a EDM DJ and for over 15 years and have followed EDC and Insomniac parties for decades. Have fun!

<----Hint... username = mixmode ;)

Confession: I never figured that one. It just looked like gibberish to me. :p
    Same here. Glad to know now! :)
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options

8r71esdpgap0.jpg

I'm not even totally caught up, but I am SO GLAD you opened up to us here @Susieq_1994 and are giving us all this info, both about your culture and your own personal self. I just gotta let it out: This girl *kitten* rocks!

Same goes for a lot of our regulars: @MoHousdon @Italian_Buju (BTW we are testing some AWESOME stuff here at my facility regarding diabetes, might be while before human clinical trials though.) @BZAH10 @pofoster21 @quiksylver296 @FrancI27 (I hope that's the right one) Sorry if I forgot some peeps! I love this thread so much. I think I love this thread more than I love guacamole.... and that's REALLY saying something.

You, I like. I have been known to make a quick and dirty quacamole (diced avocado, halved grape tomatoes, some salt/garlic/lime juice) for breakfast.

Add me to the avocado aversion side. My sister keeps telling me I will like them if I just keep trying but not gonna happen. Why would I waste calories on something I don't even like?

While I don't agree with your absolutely incorrect opinion of avocado ;) , I do agree with not wasting calories on something you don't like. DON'T WASTE THE DELICIOUS POINTS, people!!!
  • CountessKitteh
    CountessKitteh Posts: 1,505 Member
    Options
    Greetings from work on this lovely Saturday morning, peeps! (I'm on call from 8am today until 8am tomorrow, and we're supposed to be in the office from 8-noon).

Interview with lab administration went alright. I knew going in that I was not the absolute ideal candidate for the job, so nothing surprising came up. The interview with HR was spectacular, but I don't think that's going to help too much. Ha! ;)

They have another candidate interview yesterday and one on Tuesday. After that, it should at the very least be narrowed down to two for background/resource checks. So, if I don't hear anything by next Friday, I can safely assume that I didn't make the cut. And while it was only 30 minutes, I didn't get a great vibe from the woman who would essentially be my boss, so I don't think I'll be too disappointed to not be chosen. We shall see!

Confession: I logged two slices of pizza for dinner last night, intending to have the other two for lunch today. I then ate a third because I have no self control around pizza. Now I only get one today, but those second slice calories are still going into today's budget. :(

Any interview is great practice. This way you'll be prepared for the interview for the job you really want!

Did you talk to your old supervisor about using her as a reference? Sorry if I missed it, but what did she say?

I decided to wait until I'd had the interview to see if they would even be contacting my references (they don't until they choose one or two potential candidates). I am now waiting to see if I make the cut for the background check, at which point they will call/email my references.

My gut says I will not make this cut, and I am absolutely okay with that.

Confession: Realized earlier today that I am now only 11 weeks away from being transfer eligible with my current company. That means I wouldn't lose my 7+ years tenure or current PTO accrual (we earn WAY above average) to find a new/better job. If this hospital one doesn't pan out, I may just bide my time for the next two months.
  • MoHousdon
    Options
    Glinda1971 wrote: »
    DSC_0553.JPG

I don't if this works!

ETA: it did! This was Charlie and I at the end of our day at the zoo

this is before we set off:
    DSC_0440.JPG

Lunchtime:
    DSC_0472.JPG

this was charlie at the end of the day:
    DSC_0556.JPG

and i might be a little bit biased, but i do think he really is a beautiful kid

He is absolutely adorable!!

That is word for word what I was going to say. What a sweet little guy!

• TigerNY128
    TigerNY128 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    Ugh, Monday morning. Ate and drank all weekend at our lake house, and I'm up 4.2 pounds today! Boo for water weight! I know it'll be gone in 2 or 3 days, but it's still annoying to see.

Hope everyone had a great weekend!
  • orangesmartie
    orangesmartie Posts: 1,870 Member
    Options

8r71esdpgap0.jpg

Me three. Don't like avocados

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Greetings from work on this lovely Saturday morning, peeps! (I'm on call from 8am today until 8am tomorrow, and we're supposed to be in the office from 8-noon).

Interview with lab administration went alright. I knew going in that I was not the absolute ideal candidate for the job, so nothing surprising came up. The interview with HR was spectacular, but I don't think that's going to help too much. Ha! ;)

They have another candidate interview yesterday and one on Tuesday. After that, it should at the very least be narrowed down to two for background/resource checks. So, if I don't hear anything by next Friday, I can safely assume that I didn't make the cut. And while it was only 30 minutes, I didn't get a great vibe from the woman who would essentially be my boss, so I don't think I'll be too disappointed to not be chosen. We shall see!

Confession: I logged two slices of pizza for dinner last night, intending to have the other two for lunch today. I then ate a third because I have no self control around pizza. Now I only get one today, but those second slice calories are still going into today's budget. :(

Any interview is great practice. This way you'll be prepared for the interview for the job you really want!

Did you talk to your old supervisor about using her as a reference? Sorry if I missed it, but what did she say?

I decided to wait until I'd had the interview to see if they would even be contacting my references (they don't until they choose one or two potential candidates). I am now waiting to see if I make the cut for the background check, at which point they will call/email my references.

My gut says I will not make this cut, and I am absolutely okay with that.

Confession: Realized earlier today that I am now only 11 weeks away from being transfer eligible with my current company. That means I wouldn't lose my 7+ years tenure or current PTO accrual (we earn WAY above average) to find a new/better job. If this hospital one doesn't pan out, I may just bide my time for the next two months.

That was one of the biggest bummers about changing jobs after 18 years. I had hours and hours and hours of vacation time built up, and now I have nothing. I was sweating it just to see if I would have 40 hours built up in time to go to the beach in July like we do every year. If you can find something you really like within your current organization, I would say it's totally worth it to wait.
  • MoHousdon
    Options
    festerw wrote: »
    Today marks 1 year of food logging for me, this time last year I was 250lbs and wearing 42" waist pants and couldn't run an 1/8 of a mile. Now I'm 180lbs, wearing 32" waist pants and run 3 miles a few times a week.

The really surprising part to me is that with the exception of the first month it just seems too easy and I feel like if I stop logging the weight will show back up overnight.

That's awesome. Keep up the good work.

• CountessKitteh
    CountessKitteh Posts: 1,505 Member
    Options
    I have a hard time refusing anything with caramel in it...

Make it salted and we can be buddies. ;)
  • spamarie
    spamarie Posts: 2,825 Member
    Options
    @orangesmartie Charlie is a little cutie. Glad to see you two having a great time together!
    @festerw Great stuff! You made me look back to check what my first day of logging, at least on MFP, was. I'm just groaning at my stupid mistakes.

On the topic of kids and walking, I went to the mall with the family for one of the niece's birthdays when I still had to be in a wheelchair and the older girl, around nine, said I was lucky because I didn't have to walk.

Oh dear. I don't know what age it is children are supposed to develop proper empathy skills. Here's hoping it was just one of those mouth in gear before brain moments! I've had a few myself where I wish I could go back in time and apologise for being so stupid and rude and that it wasn't meant with malice!
  • spamarie
    spamarie Posts: 2,825 Member
    Options
    Speaking of children and empathy skills etc. I got in loads of trouble once when I asked an elderly neighbour if her skin was so white because she was very old. I wasn't meaning to be rude, I was genuinely curious. My mum marched me over to apologise and I had no idea what I'd done wrong. I think I was maybe 6 or 7 and a pretty well-behaved kid in general.

Pretty cringe-worthy now, but it does go to show it's important to explain these things to kids and not just assume they get it and are being naughty!
  • riderfangal
    riderfangal Posts: 1,965 Member
    Options

Pick me pick me!!
  • orangesmartie
    orangesmartie Posts: 1,870 Member
    Options

oh yes! This is me! Salted caramel anything and I'm in!

• MoHousdon
    Options
    Lois_1989 wrote: »
    Tubbs216 wrote: »
    Lois_1989 wrote: »
    Tubbs216 wrote: »
    Quiz to see how well you Yanks and C'nucks understand proper British English, just in case we do all get together for a tea party one day:
    http://en.what-character-are-you.com/d/en/1041/index/5577.html

Thank God I got 15, that would have been embarrassing!
    Out of curiosity, which one's did you struggle with? It never even occurred to me people wouldn't understand some of those sayings. lol
    Me? None! But then I'm British and Canadian, so I'm pretty much bilingual.

:lol: Whenever someone asks me if I can speak another language I always say "Yeh, I can speak English, American, Canadian, Australian...

That's funny!

• MoHousdon
    Options

8r71esdpgap0.jpg

TRUTH!!!!

• WestCoastJo82
    WestCoastJo82 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    While I am not Susie I am quite proud of my first effort in my new kitchen (which was finished in Jan but hey...it's never too late to turn on your new oven, right?). pigm5j57duuy.jpg

I don't cook very often as you can infer. :)

Sorry I missed 1000.

That looks awesome - and I am so jealous of your new kitchen. That cooktop is gorgeous so I'm sure the oven is great too :)