Confession Time! ((ABSOLUTELY NO JUDGEMENT))

Options

Replies

• riderfangal
    riderfangal Posts: 1,965 Member
    Options
    pofoster21 wrote: »
    LBuehrle8 wrote: »
    misskarne wrote: »
    I know you hate people apologising for asking you questions, @Susieq_1994, but I only do because I feel like that stereotypical ignorant privileged white girl, and I don't want to offend.

So...there is that - robe, I'm sorry, I don't know the word for it - the long black one with the head and face covering. But it gets to 60C in Oman, right? So, um...how do the women not die of heatstroke?

That's alright, it doesn't offend me! :)

It's called an abaya, and most of them don't cover the head or face--They're basically just black dresses. I wear one myself. The headscarf and niqab (face covering) are all separate pieces. There is one that has a head covering attached as well, but these are mostly worn by older ladies, as it's just an older style.

That said, I wear the abaya and headscarf. I don't find it hot, personally--I actually find it cooler than when I wear "regular" clothing like skirts and blouses because the abaya tends to be very lightweight. It's also because I've been covering for a very long time--If I didn't cover, I'd probably feel hotter due to the sun burning my skin!

My sister wears a niqab, and according to her, it did feel very hot in the first week, but she says it doesn't feel like that anymore now that she's used to it.

Just an add-on: The abaya isn't a must, Islamically. Women are encouraged not to wear very bright colors for the purpose of attracting men (yes, men have a rule that involves not attracting women--it isn't a sexist rule), but you're allowed to wear whatever color you like, as long as you're covered properly.

I prefer the abaya in Saudi Arabia because everyone wears it (I've seen like... two people so far that didn't... Even the non-Muslims wear it!) and I just don't want to stand out. In Oman, I often wear regular colored dresses, skirts, blouses, etc. Unless I'm lazy. Because the abaya is really easy to just throw on and be done. ;)

Can I ask some follow ups? You say your sister wears a niqab; was that something she decided to do as an adult? And how did she come to that decision? And are you wearing your regular clothes under the abaya? Or is it like a "dress".

Thanks for educating me! :)

Yes, she decided to start wearing it two years ago. Nobody else in our family wears it and she's unmarried, so nobody influenced her in that decision--in Islam there are some scholars (I refuse to count the Sheikh Google people...) who believe the niqab is obligatory, and others who believe it is simply recommended based on evidence from the Qur'an and hadith. After doing some studying, my sister chose to go with the scholars who believe it's obligatory, and began covering her face from then on.

You do have to wear clothing under an abaya--it's basically a cover, but the material is too thin to wear with nothing but underwear underneath, for example. I usually wear jeans and a tank top underneath it--since we have to remain covered, it's best to have your legs covered in case the wind blows it up, for example. :) But I would wear the same under a dress, actually, although I would probably wear cotton pants underneath in that case.

Oh, can I ask if you have one of these? I've always wondered if it was hard to swim in the modest suits, because of the extra fabric:

8r71esdpgap0.jpg

Nope, I don't own one--those suits actually don't meet the fardh (obligatory) requirements for modest clothing for women, especially because they cling when they're wet, and the shape of the body is revealed, which is the major requirement of covering.

If I'm going to swim, I swim in an all-women's facility with a modest swimsuit (even women aren't supposed to reveal nakedness to other women) or just jump into the ocean fully clothed because that's fun. ;)

Am I the only one who loves being naked? I don't know why but I do! Could be because ( I know I say this a lot but it's true) I really have no shame...haters going to hate!

I hate being naked. I hate skin touching skin. And I totally hate when running any part of my body touching any other part. I tried running in a sports bra ONCE. Never again. Yes I am a prude (I believe I have said this before).

I totally laughed out loud reading that!
  • nonoelmo
    nonoelmo Posts: 3,941 Member
    Options
    I am on p 992. Here is my most embarrasing (or perhaps a tie) moment.

My most embarrassing moment.

Once upon a time I lived in one major city and as things worked out my now ex husband and I and our then baby girl were going to move back to where I grew up. For ease of writing this I will choose a name for baby girl, Molly, (not her real name.)

The move was of a distance that would require several days of driving. My genius plan was for 6 month old Molly and I to fly ahead and ex would follow a week or so later with our belongings. It was a great plan. I researched flying with babies. I researched busy flights vs lighter flights. After all my research what I came up with was flying mid-morning mid-week. Somehow I figured that this flight would not be busy. Molly was still being breastfed at the time. I was discrete and covered but I did breastfeed as unobtrusively as possible in public. I booked two tickets on the mid-week, mid-morning flight. My plan was to put the baby car seat in the middle and sit by the window so that I had extra privacy when nursing. Molly despised the car seat and screamed every time she was placed in it so having her in the car seat on the airplane was never part of my plan.

The day started off ok. I had on a t-shirt type blouse on with jeans. I carried a light baby blanket, the diaper bag, car seat and Molly when we boarded the airplane. Here is where my plan started to unravel. I was not allowed to put the car seat in the middle so it was next to the window and Molly and I were in the middle seat. I rolled with it. I was going to make this work. Plus, the seat next to me on the aisle was empty. Just before the doors closed to the airplane a very handsome man about my age (late 20’s) in a full, dark suit sat down in the aisle seat. He was very good looking and he seemed nervous. We didn’t acknowledge each other. Molly was at the age of alertness and a beautiful baby.

The airplane started taxing down the runway. I had heard that nursing on takeoff and landing was very helpful in preventing ear pain and preventing baby Molly from crying. We started the taxi and I put Molly on the breast farthest away from my seatmate. Molly started happily nursing. The plane was about to take off when the safety announcements started with a loud hiss and squeal. Baby Molly jerked her head toward the noise. This threw off the light blanket covering her. She had not let go of my nipple when she jerked her head. In fact, there was quite a vacuum formed. So when her head jerked quickly and unexpectedly away from my body there was a loud and obvious “pop” noise as the vacuum from her mouth nursing was broken. This noise was immediately followed by a light spray of breastmilk crossing over to the arm/suit jacket of the man in the aisle seat next to me. I covered myself quickly. I watched in horror as those tiny little droplets of milk soaked into the sleeve of his suit jacket. He had not responded /moved during this but I assume he had to have noticed something. We did not make eye contact or acknowledge each other during flight. I was horrified and mortified. What do you EVEN say to some stranger you’ve inadvertently sprayed with your breastmilk?

I’ve always wondered if he knew the extent of it, it was fine droplets but how could he not? Since then I’ve come to see the humor in it, but it took me years to get there. :)

• TigerNY128
    TigerNY128 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! I won't be around this weekend to check in, but I hope everyone has a wonderful weekend! You are all SUPER GREAT!!
  • crosbylee
    crosbylee Posts: 3,454 Member
    Options
    Ok, went and took the British phrase quiz. Not too bad for a Texas gal, 12 of 15!
  • nonoelmo
    Options
    Lois_1989 wrote: »
    I just had the BEST NSV so far! Doing my lunch time weight training and I was sharing the squat rack with a personal trainer. So far I can squat 50Kg and he asked me if I'm going any higher to which I replied "No, I thought I would stay at 50Kg and check my form is ok and I'm comfortable before I go higher." To which he said "Pffft your form is better than most men in this gym!" I was like :open_mouth:Really?! Made my day! :lol:

I just had to share it with you all, because that has actually made the lack of movement on the scales completely worth it. :smile:

Great!
  • robin388
    robin388 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    franksl87e wrote: »
    I keep changing my weekly goals (first week!) from 2lb to 1.5lb depending on what I know I still want to eat that day!!

I've done this too.
  • CountessKitteh
    CountessKitteh Posts: 1,505 Member
    Options
    Why are people so defensive when you tell them that things are inaccurate estimations and not guaranteed facts?

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10191054/weight-loss-prediction-after-diary-entry

Confession: I do sweet-as-sugar-b!tch very well. I once had an outside vendor watch me talk to his (very unhelpful - at first) boss on the phone and he told me that he could practically "see the venom dripping off [my] fangs" (He has a very pronounced southern drawl if that helps you picture it). >:)
  • nonoelmo
    Options
    Confession: I'm not shutting up on here this morning because I'm trying to ignore how nervous I am about my interview(s) today.

I'm actually skipping lunch because of said nerves (and the timing), so I'm making buffalo chicken pizza for dinner! The "extra" calories (plus whatever I earn at the gym later) will make it guilt free.

I hope it went very well!
  • nonoelmo
    Options
    misskarne wrote: »
    I know you hate people apologising for asking you questions, @Susieq_1994, but I only do because I feel like that stereotypical ignorant privileged white girl, and I don't want to offend.

So...there is that - robe, I'm sorry, I don't know the word for it - the long black one with the head and face covering. But it gets to 60C in Oman, right? So, um...how do the women not die of heatstroke?

That's alright, it doesn't offend me! :)

It's called an abaya, and most of them don't cover the head or face--They're basically just black dresses. I wear one myself. The headscarf and niqab (face covering) are all separate pieces. There is one that has a head covering attached as well, but these are mostly worn by older ladies, as it's just an older style.

That said, I wear the abaya and headscarf. I don't find it hot, personally--I actually find it cooler than when I wear "regular" clothing like skirts and blouses because the abaya tends to be very lightweight. It's also because I've been covering for a very long time--If I didn't cover, I'd probably feel hotter due to the sun burning my skin!

My sister wears a niqab, and according to her, it did feel very hot in the first week, but she says it doesn't feel like that anymore now that she's used to it.

Just an add-on: The abaya isn't a must, Islamically. Women are encouraged not to wear very bright colors for the purpose of attracting men (yes, men have a rule that involves not attracting women--it isn't a sexist rule), but you're allowed to wear whatever color you like, as long as you're covered properly.

I prefer the abaya in Saudi Arabia because everyone wears it (I've seen like... two people so far that didn't... Even the non-Muslims wear it!) and I just don't want to stand out. In Oman, I often wear regular colored dresses, skirts, blouses, etc. Unless I'm lazy. Because the abaya is really easy to just throw on and be done. ;)

Can I ask some follow ups? You say your sister wears a niqab; was that something she decided to do as an adult? And how did she come to that decision? And are you wearing your regular clothes under the abaya? Or is it like a "dress".

Thanks for educating me! :)

Yes, she decided to start wearing it two years ago. Nobody else in our family wears it and she's unmarried, so nobody influenced her in that decision--in Islam there are some scholars (I refuse to count the Sheikh Google people...) who believe the niqab is obligatory, and others who believe it is simply recommended based on evidence from the Qur'an and hadith. After doing some studying, my sister chose to go with the scholars who believe it's obligatory, and began covering her face from then on.

You do have to wear clothing under an abaya--it's basically a cover, but the material is too thin to wear with nothing but underwear underneath, for example. I usually wear jeans and a tank top underneath it--since we have to remain covered, it's best to have your legs covered in case the wind blows it up, for example. :) But I would wear the same under a dress, actually, although I would probably wear cotton pants underneath in that case.

Oh, can I ask if you have one of these? I've always wondered if it was hard to swim in the modest suits, because of the extra fabric:

8r71esdpgap0.jpg

Nope, I don't own one--those suits actually don't meet the fardh (obligatory) requirements for modest clothing for women, especially because they cling when they're wet, and the shape of the body is revealed, which is the major requirement of covering.

If I'm going to swim, I swim in an all-women's facility with a modest swimsuit (even women aren't supposed to reveal nakedness to other women) or just jump into the ocean fully clothed because that's fun. ;)

Am I the only one who loves being naked? I don't know why but I do! Could be because ( I know I say this a lot but it's true) I really have no shame...haters going to hate!

I love being naked when I'm home alone. LOVE IT Feel so good to let the skin take an air bath.
  • nonoelmo
    Options
    Caitwn wrote: »
    xMrBunglex wrote: »
    xMrBunglex wrote: »
    festerw wrote: »
    Confession: If I sit down for a meal I will drink whatever is in front of me non stop until I get up. Doesn't matter what it is, coffee, water, iced tea, beer..... That was part of the reason I started losing weight fairly quickly when I stopped ordering calorie laden drinks when we went out, it was not uncommon for me to have 4+ of whatever drink in the hour or so we'd be at a restaurant. Now I usually stick with coffee or unsweetened iced tea.

Me too. When I was heavy, it would be beer, diet soda, Long Islands, coffee, Beam & diet...4 or 5 at a sitting.

Now I order the same thing at every restaurant - water with lime. No problem drinking 4 or 5 of those!

Were you able to walk out of the restaurant after?!? I love me a good Long Island, but after 2, I'm toast. :D

I'm 3+ years sober now, so I can joke about it...but in my prime, my booze tolerance was pretty ridiculous!

Oh, well done! 3-ish years clean and sober was about the time I started to feel like my brain was really kicking back into gear, if that makes sense. I can't quite believe it, but I will be reaching 29 years without alcohol or drugs this July. Good stuff :)
    Aweseome job to all the sober posters!
  • riderfangal
    riderfangal Posts: 1,965 Member
    Options
    Just went through the Tim Hortons drive through in my jammies. Not ashamed needed coffee and I was out at home
  • trvlpk
    trvlpk Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I don't know how to eat "healthy" and do not know what good nutrition means. :/ Also, I am a compulsive overeater/food addict that is finding it very hard to find recovery.
  • MoHousdon
    MoHousdon Posts: 8,722 Member
    Options
    m1xm0d3 wrote: »
    MoHousdon wrote: »
    Tubbs216 wrote: »
    Feels good to be wearing clothes that truly fit again. No more sucking in my gut or keeping the top button of my pants unbuttoned! I am donating all of my oversized clothes so I have nothing to swell into down the road.
    Good for you! That's awesome.

Thanks! I am almost down 50, even though MFP says like 38 cuz I didn't record the last gain over winter. Roomy clothes are awesome! (And by roomy, I mean properly fit as opposed to squeezing into while simultaneously cutting off circulation ;))

Way to go! That's awesome and I'm sure your clothes and circulation are thanking you. :wink:

Hahaha thanks and yes they are. I've essentially unlocked a section of my wardrobe that hasn't been worn in years. Hell, some still have the tags on them cuz they were too small to wear on day one. I'm trying them on tonight. I hope they all fit!

That is absolutely adorable.

:blush:

I DID try them on. Some shirts fit and some were oooh so close. A few more weeks and I know they will. The last of my work slacks now fit which pleases me to no end. :smiley:

Congrats!

• m1xm0d3
    m1xm0d3 Posts: 1,576 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    annette_15 wrote: »
    My previous 3 mile pr on the elliptical was 41:05, today I beat it at 40:01, but I'm mad because my goal has been to get under 40 minutes for a long time lol...dammit.

Anyways, EDC tomorrow and OMG I cannot contain my excitement :open_mouth: Here's a live stream if anyone wants to see what its all about https://screen.yahoo.com/live/event/edc-1

I'll post some pictures on sunday after we get back!!

NIce. I have been a EDM DJ and for over 15 years and have followed EDC and Insomniac parties for decades. Have fun!

<----Hint... username = mixmode ;)
  • Kalici
    Kalici Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    kelly_c_77 wrote: »
    Kalici wrote: »
    kelly_c_77 wrote: »
    Kalici wrote: »
    When it finally comes time for a cheat meal... It some how magically turns into a cheat day... Then cheat week... And it only gets worse from there :/ Then after those awful cheat days, I decide I'll start again Monday. EVERY. DANG. TIME. Lol

I don't know if this is helpful or not (I'm still relatively new to this whole thing), but I don't do "cheat meals". If I am craving something, I just make sure it fits into my daily calorie allowance or I work out extra to make it fit. I don't view food as "good" or "bad" I just view as "good" or "gross". I hope you can get back on track. Good luck.

+1..me too! Definitely helped my "relationship" with food. If I want it, I make room for it, or balance out my calories the rest of the week!

I agree with this as well. A while back we got on the topic of Poptarts to the point that I had to go out and get some. I had one to get it out of my system. A month later i still have a few left.

I did that. i had to buy poptarts when i saw them because of this thread. I inhaled way too many and then threw the rest in a bin, just so I wouldn't eat them

I bought fudge ones, but I bought the cheap market basket brand. To my surprise they tasted a lot better. They were moist and chewy and yum. I am now afraid to buy anymore because they are the same amount of calories. :)

MARKET BASKET!! Where are you from? MA or NH? Or ME?

I'm from MA.

Oh ok, cool! I've never seen anyone in here mention Market Basket before...got a little excited that someone has heard of it and must be from around here. I grew up in NH but moved to ME three years ago because of my husband's job.

They should mention it more! It has cheap things that taste good. In my opinion at least. :)

• Kalici
    Options
    I was talking to my aunt about a pair of jeans not fitting anymore even though I just bought them and she said, "Woo! Now you're thinner than me!" and I said, "And I'm even smaller than that because the new ones are falling off too." Then I cringed because I replayed how that sounded in my head. I immediately apologised and said it wasn't what I meant. I was just excited, but I still feel like a jerk. Open mouth insert the dumb.
  • Kalici
    Options
    Why are people so defensive when you tell them that things are inaccurate estimations and not guaranteed facts?

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10191054/weight-loss-prediction-after-diary-entry

Confession: I do sweet-as-sugar-b!tch very well. I once had an outside vendor watch me talk to his (very unhelpful - at first) boss on the phone and he told me that he could practically "see the venom dripping off [my] fangs" (He has a very pronounced southern drawl if that helps you picture it). >:)

Woah. I think maybe they get disappointed that they won't lose that much and they lash out, but woah.

• SoulOfRusalka
    SoulOfRusalka Posts: 1,201 Member
    Options
    My scale is being weird. Five days ago it said 130, the scale at the doctor's the same day (after I had eaten) said 127.8, and now mine says 124.8. So maybe mine is just realistic again? Aaaaaaaaaaah. If I lose 10 more pounds maybe I can start wearing all my pants again, anyway!
  • nonoelmo
    Options
    pofoster21 wrote: »
    Feels good to be wearing clothes that truly fit again. No more sucking in my gut or keeping the top button of my pants unbuttoned! I am donating all of my oversized clothes so I have nothing to swell into down the road.

Good for you. I lost 50 lbs a few years ago. Gave away all my clothes. When I started having only 3 things to wear and had to unbutton my pants again I knew it was time. So I started again last year.

As of this am I am the thinnest I have been in 24 years. Yay me. :)

Awesome!!