Okay...McDonald's...Yes, No, Sometimes?

Options

Replies

• Nataliegetfit
    Nataliegetfit Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    I hadn't eaten there in a very long time, my hubby and I went last week and several things we used to get weren't on the menu. Anyway, I tried the Asian salad with grilled chicken, it was very good, could of doubled the chicken though. Awhile ago I went to taco bell and had the steak cantina bowl, it was 500 cal. but very good and worth it once in awhile and kept me full for a long time too.
    You can have it once in awhile, I look at the calories and ask myself is it worth those extra calories or not, sometimes it is, sometimes not. It just slows down your weight loss a little bit. You need to splurge once in awhile, but be careful not to have certain things you can't stop eating and can lead to more bad choices.
  • YalithKBK
    YalithKBK Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    McD's nuggets. Nom nom nom! I plan ahead and make sure it fits my calories for the day. No guilt. If it doesn't exactly fit in my calories for the day, oh well, I eat less the next day.
  • katsmo
    katsmo Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I try to find something suitable that I can fit into my calories at a handful of fast-food places because it's just life sometimes. At McDonald's, I usually opt for a fish or mcchicken sandwich with two packs of apple slices and a small diet coke. Their oatmeal is also a decent option, and it's served all day. Everything in moderation.
  • amyr271
    amyr271 Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Working at McDonalds five days a week for two years and I put on two stone, hence why I am here! But that was only because I was eating it for lunch as it was free, then buying something as I finish, and then going home and eating tea, I was getting like 200 calories before I had left work...

If you eat it in moderation and as a treat, then McDonalds is fine. When it is becoming part of your key diet, then you may want to think about cutting it out
  • NikiChicken
    NikiChicken Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    I don't eat it often, but once in a while it sounds good and I indulge. I never, ever feel guilty about it either! I fit it into my calorie goal and enjoy every bite!
  • jpaulie
    jpaulie Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    It can fit my macros, but makes me bloated and uncomfortable so no
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Bshmerlie wrote: »
    The quality of the food at McD's just doesn't justify the calories. There are usually so many other better options out there. Its just not one of those places that I find difficult to resist. I guess that's why I haven't been there in a while.

This! If I am going to splurge on fast food, it's In 'N Out or nothing. I haven't eaten at McDonald's for like 10 years.
  • Healthexp693
    Healthexp693 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Yikes! All of this is so wrong!! My suggestion is to go to a nutritionist and get some professional advice. This idea that is so pervasive on this app - the idea that you can eat whatever you want as long as your on a calorie deficit is so wrong! Let's talk about McDonald's - loaded full of saturated fat, Trans fat and advanced glycated end products - all cause inflammation. Inflammation in fat cells is associated with obesity. McDonald's does not provide those vitamins or antioxidants which help protect against disease and actually contains carcinogens from cooking at high heat. What is so wrong with propagating this idea that you can eat whatever you want is that many people on here are overweight or obese and at risk for diabetes and cardiovascular disease. Eat real food that is the answer!! In countries like Italy, turkey and France and more - they eat very high calorie meals yet obesity rates are nothing like they are in the usa. Science has not yet figured out exactly how processed foods contribute to the obesity epidemic but they are working on it and so far there is evidence to suggest that they are important contributors. Fast food is the worst thing you can eat - learn how to cook and eat real food. Period.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Why is it always all or nothing with some people?

Eating McD's on occasion does not mean OP only eats McD's or that anyone thinks that's a good idea.

OP said she had one meal at McD's--I'm assuming she knows how to cook and eat homecooked meals. (Not getting into the "real food" thing or any of the rest of it.)

And, no, people in Italy and France and Turkey don't, on average, eat higher cal meals than Americans, quite the opposite, and they tend to have more activity throughout the day.
  • orchidbutterflies
    orchidbutterflies Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I can't eat McDonalds or Wendy's. There is no grey area for me with those two so I cut them both out entirely a year and a half ago (along with all pop). It would be nice to occasionally enjoy something from either place but I don't think I could find the right level of moderation with them. Also, since I am almost half way to goal, I can't justify it in my meal plans right now.
    So I just use the memory of the shame I felt weighing almost 400lbs, sitting in my bedroom at 3 am eating a double quarter pounder, 20 nuggets, large fries, large rootbeer and a mcflurry (And still feeling hungry afterwards) to keep myself away.

After eating healthier for a while now though, I'm pretty convinced that the high sugar/salt/fat would taste gross anyway. I know that when I tried pop again the carbonation caused a burning sensation in my mouth. Dairy Queen was overly sweet when I ate some of my old favourite Blizzard as well. I'd rather eat Greek yogurt & strawberries over ice cream any day.
  • blossomingbutterfly
    blossomingbutterfly Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    BinkyBonk wrote: »
    If it fits into my calories for the day, I eat it without guilt.

This.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,574 Member
    Options
    Yikes! All of this is so wrong!! My suggestion is to go to a nutritionist and get some professional advice.
    Most nutritionists don't need schooling to get certified and give advice, so this wouldn't be a great suggestion. Much better off talking to a Registered Dietician instead.
    This idea that is so pervasive on this app - the idea that you can eat whatever you want as long as your on a calorie deficit is so wrong!
    It's not a lie. Regardless if it's junk food, processed food etc., weight loss is about calorie deficit.
    Let's talk about McDonald's - loaded full of saturated fat, Trans fat and advanced glycated end products - all cause inflammation. Inflammation in fat cells is associated with obesity.
    Actually it's the other way around....obesity causes fat cell inflammation. Still a mystery as to why this happens.
    McDonald's does not provide those vitamins or antioxidants which help protect against disease and actually contains carcinogens from cooking at high heat.
    You're more than likely speaking of acrylamide here. California's proposition 65 has this posted in practically every restaurant. Dosage does matter. And your statement isn't absolute. Parfaits there have blueberries and strawberries. Both have antioxidant properties.
    What is so wrong with propagating this idea that you can eat whatever you want is that many people on here are overweight or obese and at risk for diabetes and cardiovascular disease.
    No the point is that it's eating TOO MUCH of what they want being the problem.
    Eat real food that is the answer!! In countries like Italy, turkey and France and more - they eat very high calorie meals yet obesity rates are nothing like they are in the usa.
    Lol, that's cause they don't exceed their calorie intake limits.
    Science has not yet figured out exactly how processed foods contribute to the obesity epidemic but they are working on it and so far there is evidence to suggest that they are important contributors. Fast food is the worst thing you can eat - learn how to cook and eat real food. Period.
    Oh please. Processed, low quality food isn't the reason we have an obesity epidemic. If that were the case, then State Prisons should have the same issues with obesity but they don't. Why? Because even with all the "bad" food, eating 3 portion controlled meals a day won't let them get obese. The MAIN reason we have an issue with obesity in the US is because people can't seem to control how much they eat overall and reduced physical activity compounds lack of using CICO correctly.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    In countries like Italy, turkey and France and more - they eat very high calorie meals yet obesity rates are nothing like they are in the usa.

They consume fewer calories on average than do Americans.

• theraja79
    theraja79 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Given that I am a vegetarian, they really have nothing I particularly care about anyway...
  • LAC73167
    LAC73167 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I avoid McD like the plague. Empty calories and it always leaves me feeling ill when I ate it. You should google what their food really consists of and trust me, you won't be worried about earing there again. I'm not against all fast food (I'll have a burger or chicken sandwich from Wendy's from time to time) but never McD.
    Confession....I had McDonald's tonight (1 double cheeseburger and a 4 pc. Nugget w Water)...really pretty mad at myself for it. I was just wondering how other people approach fast food.

• glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,615 Member
    Options
    Sorry, but how can you say Mcdonalds is empty calories but not Wendys? They serve most of the same food!

I hadn't been to Mcdonalds in years. The only thing I really enjoyed was the filet o fish but I'm pretty much a grilled chicken salad girl and their lettuce and grilled chicken never thrilled me. I went recently to try the new artisan chicken filet. It was pretty good and had the protein I was looking for.
  • laineybz
    laineybz Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    Like most people have said, if I want it, i'll have it and eat less throughout the week or exercise more. I tend to think for x amount of calories for a McDonalds or KFC or whatever i could have an amazing meal at home. I eat out at restaurants more than eat fast food.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,574 Member
    Options
    I avoid McD like the plague. Empty calories and it always leaves me feeling ill when I ate it. You should google what their food really consists of and trust me, you won't be worried about earing there again. I'm not against all fast food (I'll have a burger or chicken sandwich from Wendy's from time to time) but never McD.
    Actually practically all food have calories and macro/micro nutrients. Density of the micros will matter. And using Google as a "go to" to get information leads to many sites that have no peer reviewed studies, etc. The issue will lie with high calorie values that taste good. And many people eat there 3 times a day thereby well exceeding their calorie intake.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• missomgitsica
    missomgitsica Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    I've had to more or less cut it out, because I have no sense of moderation when it comes to fast food. But if you can fit it into your calorie goal then NBD.
  • Toadstool_
    Toadstool_ Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Personally a no for me - but that's because I've never liked the food at fast food places. I do eat out at restaurants occasionally though, you've still got to enjoy yourself sometimes!