The official nightshift thread....

Options

Replies

• jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Right? So pissed right now! Anyone who thinks for 1 second would realize that the KITCHEN is for EMPLOYEES only and there is a REASON THE LIGHTS AREN'T ON YET.
  • jennifer_417
    edited July 2015
    Options
    To be clear, they didn't get food out of the kitchen (realized that's kinda how I made it sound), they just went in there and turned the lights on for the breakfast room, then started helping themselves to food that had been set out. IT STILL REALLY PISSED ME OFF.
  • Frankie_Felinius
    Frankie_Felinius Posts: 1,398 Member
    Options
    You were told when you checked in that breakfast starts at 6:30. Why would you feel free to GO INTO THE HOTEL KITCHEN, TURN THE LIGHTS ON, AND START HELPING YOURSELVES?

WTH?! WHO DOES THAT?!

Sooooo many people! It has happened here countless times over the years!

• jennifer_417
    Options
    Haha I think I overreacted slightly...I didn't let the guest know, but I was supa pissed! I just don't understand what happens in someone's brain that would make think that was an ok thing to do. Did it not occur to them that the lights were off for a reason? I wish they would hang a sign in there stating what breakfast times are.

• vanillarose77
    vanillarose77 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    lol they were hungry and were only thinking of themselves
  • Frankie_Felinius
    edited July 2015
    Options
    To be clear, they didn't get food out of the kitchen (realized that's kinda how I made it sound), they just went in there and turned the lights on for the breakfast room, then started helping themselves to food that had been set out. IT STILL REALLY PISSED ME OFF.

I've seen many people actually go into the kitchen and start helping themselves! After they asked "What time is breakfast?" and I responded with the time that wasn't what they wanted to hear. People ask for breakfast at 3 a.m. People ask for breakfast at noon. So we should have 24 hour breakfast? The price of your room is what it is because breakfast is budgeted at 3 hours a day. Businesses budget things, believe it or not.

So many people feel rules do not apply to them. Whether it is breakfast times, using someone else's credit card without a prior authorization from the cc holder, not getting the floor they requested, etc. I tell people very politely "I'm sorry, I don't make the rules, I'm just doing my job." People act like they don't have rules at their jobs. EVERYONE has rules to follow and NO ONE is special or exempt!!! Trust me, corporate does not consult little ol' peon me in the middle of Iowa for rules and business practices...they are what they are. There are rules and business practices I don't like. I don't like the fact that I can't go to McDonald's and order a cheeseburger at 7 a.m. when I get off work and it is my dinner time, not breakfast, but I don't cause a effin' scene demanding that they make me one. I order an egg mcmuffin and go on my way. I'm not special. I'm not exempt. Neither is anyone else.

• jennifer_417
    Options
    I really think everyone should be forced to work some type of low-level customer serivce type job for at least 6 months. Then they would get a feel for what's it's really like on the other side of the counter, and would better understand how awful people can really be.
  • Frankie_Felinius
    Options
    I really think everyone should be forced to work some type of low-level customer serivce type job for at least 6 months. Then they would get a feel for what's it's really like on the other side of the counter, and would better understand how awful people can really be.

Seriously. I know working *kitten* customer service jobs has made me a better consumer. I don't flip out on people when I don't get my way, I don't berate people over things that are not their fault, I don't demand things from people. I tell people how much I appreciate their service. And IF I do get frustrated and the least bit snippy, I tell the person "I'm not upset with you, I'm just frustrated." When people are upset about something beyond my control and they say something like that to me, it makes a huge difference. I'm waaaay more likely to go above and beyond to help you after that than if you are berating me and treating me like crap.

When people are flipping out on me, I first try to let them know that I'm a consumer too. I've had bad service/dirty hotels rooms, etc so I know what it is like to be unhappy with something. I'm a human with a job that lives in the same world they do and I've used and purchased things/services that have failed me as well. But it is no excuse to treat other people poorly. Usually this statement kind of hits them and they realize how much of a dick they are being. If they continue, I tell them I will not put up with being spoken to like that and if they cannot speak to me in a rational and respectful manner, I am done. I've walked away from many people over the years. Walked to the back office and closed the door. I've had to threaten to call the cops before and have people removed from the property because they were so irrational. Just because we work in low-level customer service does not give people the right to treat us like that.

The worst though? The worst is the people who you are trying to help and they don't WANT help. They just want to cause a scene and flip out and yell and berate you. You could tell them you are going to fix the problem AND give them a million bucks for compensation and they would still be pissed. Initially they make me angry but then I just feel bad for them. What a miserable person they must be to act like that...

• Frankie_Felinius
    Options
    Haha I think I overreacted slightly...I didn't let the guest know, but I was supa pissed! I just don't understand what happens in someone's brain that would make think that was an ok thing to do. Did it not occur to them that the lights were off for a reason? I wish they would hang a sign in there stating what breakfast times are.

We do have a sign. Does nothing. We have a multiple signs in the pool about no drinking, no food etc. Does nothing. People do not think rules apply to them...smh...
  • BodyByBex
    BodyByBex Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options

Seriously. I know working *kitten* customer service jobs has made me a better consumer. I don't flip out on people when I don't get my way, I don't berate people over things that are not their fault, I don't demand things from people. I tell people how much I appreciate their service. And IF I do get frustrated and the least bit snippy, I tell the person "I'm not upset with you, I'm just frustrated." When people are upset about something beyond my control and they say something like that to me, it makes a huge difference. I'm waaaay more likely to go above and beyond to help you after that than if you are berating me and treating me like crap.

When people are flipping out on me, I first try to let them know that I'm a consumer too. I've had bad service/dirty hotels rooms, etc so I know what it is like to be unhappy with something. I'm a human with a job that lives in the same world they do and I've used and purchased things/services that have failed me as well. But it is no excuse to treat other people poorly. Usually this statement kind of hits them and they realize how much of a dick they are being. If they continue, I tell them I will not put up with being spoken to like that and if they cannot speak to me in a rational and respectful manner, I am done. I've walked away from many people over the years. Walked to the back office and closed the door. I've had to threaten to call the cops before and have people removed from the property because they were so irrational. Just because we work in low-level customer service does not give people the right to treat us like that.

The worst though? The worst is the people who you are trying to help and they don't WANT help. They just want to cause a scene and flip out and yell and berate you. You could tell them you are going to fix the problem AND give them a million bucks for compensation and they would still be pissed. Initially they make me angry but then I just feel bad for them. What a miserable person they must be to act like that...

I am a much better consumer as well having worked in customer service/retail environments. Like in the Best Buy incident, I treated them like humans and I KNEW it wasn't their fault just something that was done on the back end accounting side.
    But they did everything in their power and kept me updated and it did get resolved and I got my money back. I need to bake Kirk some cookies when I have the time because that guy was awesome. Stood by his little peon, made copies so they would know what to do should the situation ever arise again, made sure the store manager knew exactly what had happened. That whole store needs cookies.

Being a rational human works wonders.

Now AT&T, that guy Doug can go smurf himself! Told me I have to call the asurian place myself and tried to pawn me off on someone else.
    I was still REALLY nice but I told him flat out, "I know you are not getting a commission off of me right NOW, but wouldn't you like to SOMEDAY? Wouldn't you like me to spread word of how great you are like I did with Jason*?" He was a bit nicer to me and walked me through all the paperwork and faxed it in himself after that.

*Note: Jason doesn't work at that store anymore, he got promoted and manages his own store in Pflugerville now because he got a LOT of referrals and a LOT of great customer service reviews. I told everyone how awesome he was and so people went in asking for him.
    Because Kirk treated me so well, he will likely get the same treatment :laugh:
  • jennifer_417
    Options
    I think one of the problems with working for commission (which I hope I never have to do) is that it can lead to shortsightedness. When the salesperson is doing anything other than making a sale, they think they aren't making any money. Which isn't really true if you think in terms of the big picture.
  • Frankie_Felinius
    Options
    Speaking of guests who think they are special...so to preface this...we have coffee makers in all the rooms. For people who leave earlier than when breakfast is served. This guy just came down checking out and goes "What time do you make coffee?" I said "My breakfast attendant comes in at 5:30 this morning." He says "I didn't ask what time your breakfast attendant comes in, I asked what time YOU make coffee?" I said "My breakfast attendant makes the coffee. There are coffee makers in the room for guests who leave before breakfast is served." He made some huffy noise and walked off...
  • Frankie_Felinius
    Options
    Have you ever seen the meme that says something about "Instead of saying 'Have a good day', I'm going to start saying 'Have the day you deserve.'"? I think I'm gonna start giving that a spin...
  • vanillarose77
    Options
    lmao that would be classic
  • vanillarose77
    Options
    i got a bit frustrated at work at 930pm when i came in...i work in a prison and when we come in through staff entrance there's a process we go through of putting our stuff in a plastic container and send it through the x-ray machine and then there's a metal detector we walk through next to the staff desk where we swipe our id badge at. there's a newer staff that is working there she's a bit elderly probably in her mid 50s and she's already threw a couple of staff under the bus and tattled on them...well anyways after the x-ray machine and before the metal detector i turn left to go into the locker room and get some of my things, leaving my container of stuff at the end of the x-ray machine with my lunch bag and my frozen smoothie in my cup...i come out and this lady moved my stuff out of the container over to the other side past the metal detector so she could take the container back for other people who are coming in to use...1st i dont like people touching my food/drink items you just dont do that...2 it was still early and it wasnt like that container was needed right that second...but i hate confrontation so i didnt say anything...grr maybe i'm going to have to...
  • Frankie_Felinius
    Options
    I can tell that I need to get out of customer service but it is all I've ever done for the most part. I have no other real skills to offer. I've always hated customer service (even though I do it well and get great reviews from both the public and my employers) but I can feel I'm getting burnt out. I have no patience in general and it is getting harder to conceal my discontent with people. I do have a 10 day vacation coming up at the end of the month so I'm hoping that will remedy this feeling. I have horrible anxiety so starting a new job seems like a horrible idea but staying here seems horrible too...
  • vanillarose77
    Options
    i feel you on that...working in halfway houses, as a child care worker or caregiver is all i've ever done but i feel i'm getting burnt out and i'm not having the patience either but i dont know what i could do. can't go back to school becaue i still havent finished my B.A. in criminal justice and moving around to different schools and being at a baptist university for 2 years sucked up all my loans
  • jennifer_417
    Options
    It would be nice to get out of customer service, but I'm studying to become a psychologist, so I don't know how much better that will be...except maybe I can help people act a little better!
  • jennifer_417
    Options
    We had a Boy Scout troop in house last nightk, on their way to summer camp. When the leaders got up this morning, half the stuff had been stolen off their trailer from the parking lot. I feel really bad for them.
  • jennifer_417
    Options
    Or at least I did until the leader started acting like a huge jerk. Sorry, but bullying me isn't gonna get you your stuff back.