Confession Time! ((ABSOLUTELY NO JUDGEMENT))

Options

Replies

• peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    Last night my boyfriend commented on needing new deodorant, and I was surprised because I just bought him some last month. I told him so and he said ''Well... yeah, I need new deodorant every month.'' I told him that I buy deodorant maybe two or three times a year and we had to go look this up on the internet. People were saying their deodorant lasts anywhere from 1-6 months.

HOW LONG DOES YOURS LAST? I swear I can take 6 months to go through deodorant. I think I only buy it twice a year. A month seems outrageous to me. I'm not a very sweaty person, but my deodorant lasts me even after most workouts.

I'd say mine lasts about (roughly) two months, and same for my husband, and we use deodorant religiously. We both use a cream-based deodorant, as opposed to gel or aerosol. Maybe he just uses a lot of it at one time?

I think mine lasts about two months too, but I also think I might slather it on a bit. I'm not sure how long my husband's lasts because he's usually got two in his gym bag and one at his desk and one in his travel kit and one in the bathroom and I feel like I'm always replacing one of them. But he has a horror of running out after an incident a couple years ago when he had to borrow mine and smelled like "va-va-vanilla" or something equally dumb all day.
  • Susieq_1994
    Susieq_1994 Posts: 5,361 Member
    Options
    peleroja wrote: »
    Last night my boyfriend commented on needing new deodorant, and I was surprised because I just bought him some last month. I told him so and he said ''Well... yeah, I need new deodorant every month.'' I told him that I buy deodorant maybe two or three times a year and we had to go look this up on the internet. People were saying their deodorant lasts anywhere from 1-6 months.

HOW LONG DOES YOURS LAST? I swear I can take 6 months to go through deodorant. I think I only buy it twice a year. A month seems outrageous to me. I'm not a very sweaty person, but my deodorant lasts me even after most workouts.

I'd say mine lasts about (roughly) two months, and same for my husband, and we use deodorant religiously. We both use a cream-based deodorant, as opposed to gel or aerosol. Maybe he just uses a lot of it at one time?

I think mine lasts about two months too, but I also think I might slather it on a bit. I'm not sure how long my husband's lasts because he's usually got two in his gym bag and one at his desk and one in his travel kit and one in the bathroom and I feel like I'm always replacing one of them. But he has a horror of running out after an incident a couple years ago when he had to borrow mine and smelled like "va-va-vanilla" or something equally dumb all day.

Since I hoard hygiene supplies, this never happens. Both my husband and I have three extra... (containers? Sticks? Bars? What in the heck do you call the things?) deodorant thingies (technical term, of course), so neither of us will run out in the foreseeable future. ;)
  • FluffySandwich
    FluffySandwich Posts: 1,293 Member
    Options
    MoHousdon wrote: »

Every time I turn around, Mr. Mo needs deodorant again. I really don't get it. Am I not using enough because I only buy mine a few times a year too.
    Yeah I was suddenly wondering if I was the grossest person in the world or something... but I think I put on enough because I don't stink. Unless I've become so accustomed to my own stench that I no longer notice :neutral: Well... no one is running away from me in the street, so I think I'm good :lol:

:lol: That's hilarious. I have to say, though, I much prefer "feminine" scented things than the more "masculine" ones like Axe. My brother once dumped his bottle of cologne on me before we went to a fancy dinner. I wasn't happy. Not one bit :neutral: The only kind of Axe I ever liked the smell of belonged to my lesbian friend. I thought that was funny for some reason :lol: Told her she had way better taste than my brother.
  • FluffySandwich
    FluffySandwich Posts: 1,293 Member
    Options

Since I hoard hygiene supplies, this never happens. Both my husband and I have three extra... (containers? Sticks? Bars? What in the heck do you call the things?) deodorant thingies (technical term, of course), so neither of us will run out in the foreseeable future. ;)
    I like the sound of "deodorant thingies." :lol: I call them sticks! I should probably hoard some hygeine products... because I have had some incidents myself where I wanted to take a shower and there was no more shampoo... so I had to go to the store feeling gross. Blah.
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options

My husband buys copious amounts any time it is on sale or if we have a coupon. I have 3 in my bathroom cabinet and a drawer full of others waiting for me. (Same thing with shampoo, toothpaste, etc. Actually everything that we use regularly- the pantry, fridge, and bathroom are always fully stocked!)
  • xLoveLikeWinterx
    xLoveLikeWinterx Posts: 408 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    jthurman3 wrote: »
    FroggyBug wrote: »
    Ok, guys, I need some opinions please. I am leaving now to go for my test and run some errands, but obviously will check later when I am back.....when is it too soon to go knock on the ladies door and ask if she is alright? I have been thinking about her almost non stop, but I do not really know her more than a passing hello, and I am not sure if that would be creepy or not.....

Just my opinion but I would think the next day would be fine. I'd be happy knowing that someone cared enough about me to make sure I was okay.

I do hope that she and the baby are okay...

@Italian_Buju I think waiting a day or two would be good. If they had to deliver the baby early (which would've been necessary if her water broke), she may be dealing with grief if the baby was too early to make it. Just my opinion - give it at least one full day, if not 2. She may still be in the hospital if she had other complications, too. I am so glad you were able to be there for her when she needed it. Checking on her is a sweet, compassionate thing to do!

(My sister delivered twins at 30 weeks of pregnancy, which is very early. They both survived, but she had been in the hospital for a few weeks leading up to that, so had been given steroids to help the babies' lungs mature more quickly. I am familiar with the complications from early delivery/labor because I was very much involved with my sister's process.)

My youngest tried making his great escape starting at about 25 weeks. I seriously went in a few times for the Magnesium Sulfate/hospital stays until the contractions stopped and went home back on bed rest. I had a calendar and counted down the days that passed. They gave me the 2 doses of steroids, too. I cried every day and ALL I could think about was if he was ok. I have never been so scared in my life. I was in the hospital basically bi-weekly until he hit 37weeks2days and then the OB said "enough" and let him come.

They gave me the rundown on mortality rates at 25 weeks, 27, etc. and told me literally every day upped his odds like 1%. At 25 weeks, it was...not good. At one point, I was asked if I wanted to use the hospital chaplain or use one of my own for him for last rites. They throw so much at you, you're just in shellshock. I would give her some time bc 1) she's still in the hospital if in fact it was her water and not urine, and 2) if Heaven forbid something happened, she needs time to process it. The only thing that saved us was they think my water never broke. Had a few "leaks" but it turned out to be urine and then the last one it tested positive for amniotic fluid, but with bed rest/bed pan it stopped and they let me go until the 37 weeks.
  • Susieq_1994
    Options

I like the sound of "deodorant thingies." :lol: I call them sticks! I should probably hoard some hygeine products... because I have had some incidents myself where I wanted to take a shower and there was no more shampoo... so I had to go to the store feeling gross. Blah.

My cabinet is full of extra shampoo, conditioner, body wash, cakes of soap, hand wash, toothbrushes, toothpaste, razors, lotions, leave-in spray hair conditioners, deodorant, toilet paper... I practically hoard the things. :p According to a few others in this thread, they're even worse and have 10+ of each item--I only have 2 or 3 extras each. ;)
  • Susieq_1994
    Options
    Just_Ceci wrote: »

My husband buys copious amounts any time it is on sale or if we have a coupon. I have 3 in my bathroom cabinet and a drawer full of others waiting for me. (Same thing with shampoo, toothpaste, etc. Actually everything that we use regularly- the pantry, fridge, and bathroom are always fully stocked!)

This is pretty much me, except that there doesn't necessarily have to be a sale and there isn't really any such thing as couponing here. I just hoard. :p
  • ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,368 Member
    Options
    Do any of the wonderful Canadians on here who enjoy mystery/detective novels read Louise Penny's Inspector Gamache series? She's a Canadian author whose novels are set in Canada. Anyhow, I love them. I'm very excited that her newest book in the series will be released on my birthday next month!!

Confession - I'm worried that setting a goal weight will mean that I'll rest on my laurels once I get there, setting me up for gaining it back. I need to change my mind set away from having an "end goal" because then the process is over....and I tend to sprint to the finish, if that makes sense. Like go all out to get to that goal weight, especially now that it's within reach, and then have a let down once I'm there. @pofoster21 How did you handle this? Maybe if I keep setting goals for myself re: fitness challenges or hikes or bike rides, that'll keep me focused on continually improving overall (instead of being weight-focused). Anyone else have tips?

I set a goal of finishing a 5k in under 45 minutes. I have done it and discovered I hate running, but I didn't quit and still run a couple of charity races a year. LOL! so I joined a gym and took some classes and discovered that I enjoy yoga, the Barre is still a killer at creating great calves, and I enjoy lifting with my husband. My new goals are to be able to do crow pose and to bench, deadlift and squat my bodyweight. Good luck!

(notice how "crow pose" got neatly eliminated from the part I highlighted? not a yoga fan, lol)

My goal is to deadlift and squat my bodyweight... my deadlift is almost there, think that one needs a goal reset.

My upper body strength is soooo pathetic, I don't know if benching that high is doable, think I'd be thrilled with 70 as a goal.

I want great calves. I have very strong calves, but they're scrawny and almost entirely lacking in definition.

And add me to the "Spa Marie" ranks... I too thought it had something to do with relaxation and wellness.
  • riderfangal
    riderfangal Posts: 1,965 Member
    Options
    Ok, guys, I need some opinions please. I am leaving now to go for my test and run some errands, but obviously will check later when I am back.....when is it too soon to go knock on the ladies door and ask if she is alright? I have been thinking about her almost non stop, but I do not really know her more than a passing hello, and I am not sure if that would be creepy or not.....

Just my opinion but I would think the next day would be fine. I'd be happy knowing that someone cared enough about me to make sure I was okay.

I do hope that she and the baby are okay...

@Italian_Buju I think waiting a day or two would be good. If they had to deliver the baby early (which would've been necessary if her water broke), she may be dealing with grief if the baby was too early to make it. Just my opinion - give it at least one full day, if not 2. She may still be in the hospital if she had other complications, too. I am so glad you were able to be there for her when she needed it. Checking on her is a sweet, compassionate thing to do!

(My sister delivered twins at 30 weeks of pregnancy, which is very early. They both survived, but she had been in the hospital for a few weeks leading up to that, so had been given steroids to help the babies' lungs mature more quickly. I am familiar with the complications from early delivery/labor because I was very much involved with my sister's process.)

My youngest tried making his great escape starting at about 25 weeks. I seriously went in a few times for the Magnesium Sulfate/hospital stays until the contractions stopped and went home back on bed rest. I had a calendar and counted down the days that passed. They gave me the 2 doses of steroids, too. I cried every day and ALL I could think about was if he was ok. I have never been so scared in my life. I was in the hospital basically bi-weekly until he hit 37weeks2days and then the OB said "enough" and let him come.

They gave me the rundown on mortality rates at 25 weeks, 27, etc. and told me literally every day upped his odds like 1%. At 25 weeks, it was...not good. At one point, I was asked if I wanted to use the hospital chaplain or use one of my own for him for last rites. They throw so much at you, you're just in shellshock. I would give her some time bc 1) she's still in the hospital if in fact it was her water and not urine, and 2) if Heaven forbid something happened, she needs time to process it. The only thing that saved us was they think my water never broke. Had a few "leaks" but it turned out to be urine and then the last one it tested positive for amniotic fluid, but with bed rest/bed pan it stopped and they let me go until the 37 weeks.

Sorry you had to go through this but happy things turned out well for you!!!
  • ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,368 Member
    Options

This probably counts as a confession, but I don't use deodorant. Or haven't for the past 3 or 4 years, since I got a nasty flare-up of eczema in my pits, had to use cortisone cream, then it stopped working... that was AWFUL. Needless to say, there was no shaving of cracked, bleeding pits for several months... this was in summer... stuck in jackets for public occasions.

I've been petrified to use deodorant since then. Honestly, the lack of it doesn't make much difference. I'm not very sweaty... at least not armpits. My head and my torso can get pretty soggy at times.

As I recall, a stick of solid used to last me about 6 months.
  • LBuehrle8
    LBuehrle8 Posts: 4,044 Member
    Options

Mine lasts me about a month to two months, I obsessively put it on. I have it everywhere. Apartment, car, work, gym bag,..all those good places. I love me some deoderant!
  • crzyone
    crzyone Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    I have a fear of running out of toiletries so I usually buy three or four at a time and I consider myself "out and need to buy" when I use the next to the last one. I think I go through about a stick of deodorant in a couple of months. I'm really paranoid, too, about stinking so I slather it on. I sometimes wonder if it is helping though. :( No one runs from me either (like someone said about) so I hop it is working. Maybe I'm just really paranoid. LOL
  • rungirl1973
    rungirl1973 Posts: 2,559 Member
    Options

Every time I turn around, Mr. Mo needs deodorant again. I really don't get it. Am I not using enough because I only buy mine a few times a year too.

Same here. I swear, I can buy a 2-pack and not buy deodorant again for a year it seems. Hubby buys the giant pack at Sams and needs more before I've finished the first stick. And, I use deodorant 1-2x per day. I don't get it.

He also uses body wash about 10 times faster than I do. That's because he uses too much, I've switched him to a cheaper brand. LOL
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options

Same here. I swear, I can buy a 2-pack and not buy deodorant again for a year it seems. Hubby buys the giant pack at Sams and needs more before I've finished the first stick. And, I use deodorant 1-2x per day. I don't get it.

He also uses body wash about 10 times faster than I do. That's because he uses too much, I've switched him to a cheaper brand. LOL

Two words...body hair.
  • TigerNY128
    TigerNY128 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    TigerNY128 wrote: »
    Do any of the wonderful Canadians on here who enjoy mystery/detective novels read Louise Penny's Inspector Gamache series? She's a Canadian author whose novels are set in Canada. Anyhow, I love them. I'm very excited that her newest book in the series will be released on my birthday next month!!

Confession - I'm worried that setting a goal weight will mean that I'll rest on my laurels once I get there, setting me up for gaining it back. I need to change my mind set away from having an "end goal" because then the process is over....and I tend to sprint to the finish, if that makes sense. Like go all out to get to that goal weight, especially now that it's within reach, and then have a let down once I'm there. @pofoster21 How did you handle this? Maybe if I keep setting goals for myself re: fitness challenges or hikes or bike rides, that'll keep me focused on continually improving overall (instead of being weight-focused). Anyone else have tips?

I set a goal of finishing a 5k in under 45 minutes. I have done it and discovered I hate running, but I didn't quit and still run a couple of charity races a year. LOL! so I joined a gym and took some classes and discovered that I enjoy yoga, the Barre is still a killer at creating great calves, and I enjoy lifting with my husband. My new goals are to be able to do crow pose and to bench, deadlift and squat my bodyweight. Good luck!

I also have goals to deadlift, bench, and squat my bodyweight! I'm hoping to accomplish this by the end of the year. My boyfriend says I should hit those goals well before the end of the year...here's hoping!

I can deadlift and squat my body weight...but bench?!? Man, it's gonna take me a loooong time to get there. That or I need to lose a lot of weight. LOL

How long did it take you to be able to deadlift and squat your weight??
  • kellyjellybellyjelly
    kellyjellybellyjelly Posts: 9,480 Member
    Options
    spamarie wrote: »
    nonoelmo wrote: »
    Confession
    I ruin songs for my teenage daughter. I sign along in a nasal voice when I feel the song is whiny. I ask too many questions about the meaning of the song or point out how sexist (or whatever it may be) the lyrics are of a particular song. I know he is talented but I change the station when I hear one popular Grammy winning singer whining about someone not being faithful. I don't mean to ruin songs for my daughter, it just happens when I point out something she stops liking the song.

For example the GDFR song that sounds like it has an oboe in it. Then it does not quite sound like and oboe but a sax. Then I go back and forth pondering what musical instrument is making that sound. It drives her nuts. But, we have a lot of similar musical tastes so when she broke her ipod and I gave her mine she didn't complain. :)

Then I think about songs I like and I could be called hypocritical. My kids knew the lyrics and sang along to Violent Femmes Blister in the Sun (for example, there are others) in early elementary school.

Confession #2
    In general I don't like violent movies but I find Grosse Point Blank hilarious.

I over-analyse song lyrics to the point of hating them. There was an admittedly crap song by a boyband over here a couple of summers ago called 'she walks like Rihanna' and it basically explained that this girl was rubbish at everything, but at least she could strut and was hot. Everyone at work would listen to it and it would wind me up so much. I kept hearing the message, 'young girls, don't worry about putting any effort into anything or developing any talents, you're hot so you'll be fine.'

Or that song about the girl who doesn't know she's beautiful . . . and that's what makes her beautiful. I get that conceited isn't an attractive trait, but IME a person who knows they're beautiful attracts a better class of mate than someone with low self-esteem, which makes you wonder about the person who wrote the lyrics. Goodness knows the guys who have encouraged me to have low self-esteem (and other women I've known) have all had serious issues of their own.

And don't even get me started on "Blurred Lines," which has been discussed ad nauseum elsewhere.

But I also enjoy analyzing some songs. When you know how Rihanna's accountant screwed her over, "B---- Better Have My Money" becomes a million times better.

Another song that everyone thinks is so poppy & upbeat but is the exact opposite is Semi Charmed Life by Third Eye Blind.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Semi-Charmed_Life#Content

The lead singer said it's about drug addiction.
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    My husband bought soap for the first time in years recently. He has been using the bars we collected from hotel rooms while traveling. I get bottles of my favorite body wash for birthday/ Christmas gifts, so rarely have to buy any. (I make a very specific Christmas list for my mother-in-law and husband who are already shopping for gifts.)

He also only recently had to buy black pepper. Every time he goes to a fast food place, he takes extra pepper packets and adds them to the pepper shaker. We pretty much stopped eating fast food.
  • kellyjellybellyjelly
    kellyjellybellyjelly Posts: 9,480 Member
    Options
    pofoster21 wrote: »
    Kalici wrote: »
    Some of my relatives and friends of those relatives keep asking me how I'm losing weight. The same people will ask me multiple times. At first I thought it was because they just weren't remembering the information, now I'm starting to think it is because some of them don't believe me. I overheard one of them saying that it isn't that I've finally been correctly diagnosed and medicated no, it is because I've had the surgery. How I've managed to have that surgery and see them once a week without recovery time is a mystery!

I confess I really want to stop seeing these people and on the way out the door I'd like to slap a few of them. Not with a chair or anything too drastic. I also confess that while I have said I'm using a calorie counting site I have not told them it is this one. This is for me. They can sign up on their own, but I do not want to talk to them here as well. I sort of don't care if that makes me a jerk.

I am also tired of people asking me how I did it, signing up for the site, I friend them, and then they never log, don't weigh their food, never complete their diary and then tell me it doesn't work. Well guys, look at me... I lost 30 lbs. You say I look great. So...this does work. If you are honest and track religiously.

When customers ask me at work I always tell them using MFP, exercising a little bit, & the biggest thing for me is weighing my food on a food scale. I guess they want me to say that I snapped my fingers, stood on my head, did a back flip & the weight just melted off.

Exactly. I hate telling people how I lost weight (like the coworker the other day) because they just give you that look that says, 'yea right.' I just told her I count my calories. I told her I don't even exercise much more than I used to yet (I just do my physical therapy exercises but that's been all so far and maybe a walk now and then when my knee feels ok).

@FroggyBug I also tell people I don't exercise much with the rare exception of walking on the treadmill, playing Just Dance, or doing Zumba on the Wii. I try to stress to my fellow coworkers or customers that the biggest thing to lose weight is monitor how much you're eating either by using MFP or using a food scale. Even though I lost a lot of weight I would still be a horrendous at eyeballing portion sizes.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options

I also have goals to deadlift, bench, and squat my bodyweight! I'm hoping to accomplish this by the end of the year. My boyfriend says I should hit those goals well before the end of the year...here's hoping!

I can deadlift and squat my body weight...but bench?!? Man, it's gonna take me a loooong time to get there. That or I need to lose a lot of weight. LOL

How long did it take you to be able to deadlift and squat your weight??

I've been working 5X5's since November. I could deadlift my body weight (190 lbs) by mid-April. I could squat it by mid-June, but I have since de-loaded to work on my form.

I'm currently at 235 on my deadlift, 140 on my squat and 120 on my bench.