Confession Time! ((ABSOLUTELY NO JUDGEMENT))

Options

Replies

• MoHousdon
    MoHousdon Posts: 8,719 Member
    Options
    Except for crayon and coupon (q-pon), I pronounce each of those words interchangeably. I guess it depends on my mood or something.

I also randomly bust out with a fake British accent. :)
  • MissKalhan
    MissKalhan Posts: 2,282 Member
    Options
    ShibaEars wrote: »
    I'm going to continue with my binge posts and the word ones:

I watch a lot of those House Hunter shows and I've noticed that Americans pronounce foyer as "foy-er". I'm pretty sure all Canadians pronounce it "foy-yay". I get a twitch every time I hear "foy-er" lol

FOY-YAY! I totally understand what you mean when you cringe, I stopped watch home improvement shows for that reason.... I'm also that person that will correct you while you're talking if you pronounce something wrong.
  • ShibaEars
    ShibaEars Posts: 3,928 Member
    Options
    MoHousdon wrote: »
    Except for crayon and coupon (q-pon), I pronounce each of those words interchangeably. I guess it depends on my mood or something.

Doesn't every non-British person? I assume British people will bust out fake American or Canadian accents too.
  • MoHousdon
    Options
    MissKalhan wrote: »

I watch a lot of those House Hunter shows and I've noticed that Americans pronounce foyer as "foy-er". I'm pretty sure all Canadians pronounce it "foy-yay". I get a twitch every time I hear "foy-er" lol

FOY-YAY! I totally understand what you mean when you cringe, I stopped watch home improvement shows for that reason.... I'm also that person that will correct you while you're talking if you pronounce something wrong.

Same. I also can't "like" something on Facebook if it has a spelling or grammatical error.

• MoHousdon
    Options

Doesn't every non-British person? I assume British people will bust out fake American or Canadian accents too.

They probably do. I wonder if they all impersonate southern people more than other regions?

• MissKalhan
    MissKalhan Posts: 2,282 Member
    Options

Same. I also can't "like" something on Facebook if it has a spelling or grammatical error.

I've either deleted or hidden most of my friends who talk/spell like they didn't pass grade 4 English.... I'm not a grammar snob by any means but COME ON!
  • ShibaEars
    Options

I will too, unless it's someone I don't know very well. But once that stumble has been made, my brain stops on that word and I miss a lot of what's said after it.
  • MoHousdon
    Options
    Today is Free tea Day at McAlister's, $1 regular coney day at Sonic, and free turnover, lava cake, or shake day at Arby's. I'm tempted to go to all of these places just for free/cheap food.
  • ShibaEars
    Options

They probably do. I wonder if they all impersonate southern people more than other regions?

I would think so!
  • MoHousdon
    Options

I've either deleted or hidden most of my friends who talk/spell like they didn't pass grade 4 English.... I'm not a grammar snob by any means but COME ON!

I have a few teacher friends or friends with degrees that have atrocious grammar and/or spelling. It makes my heart and eyes hurt.

• MoHousdon
    Options

I will too, unless it's someone I don't know very well. But once that stumble has been made, my brain stops on that word and I miss a lot of what's said after it.

YES!!! I thought I was the only one.

• jthurman3
    jthurman3 Posts: 2,121 Member
    Options

Right?? This bugs me, too. And I'm from the US. I want to yell "It's FOY-YAY, dummy!!" But that's me being judgy. Oops.
  • riderfangal
    riderfangal Posts: 1,965 Member
    Options
    ythannah wrote: »
    While we're on the topic of pronunciation... ENvelope or ONvelope? (I say "en")
    I didn't know on-velope was a thing. Envelope for me too!

And... is vi-co a shortened version of vicodin? I have no clue :lol:

LOL no it's what we used to call chocolate here in Saskatchewan when I was a kid. I don't hear it much anymore though.

:confused: What?!

Yep true story!

a806rge4vkek.png
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    Options
    So.... the word "syrup." You guys say see-rup or sir-up?

I'm all about sir-up ;)

I say seer-up, but prefer to eat honey or fruit on my pancakes and waffles...
  • hnsaunde
    hnsaunde Posts: 757 Member
    Options
    I use my phone's voice dictation and Bluetooth in my car if I have to text someone while I'm stopped at an intersection, and it drives me nuts when it spells a word with multiple spellings the wrong way. For example, I tried to tell Siri to write "tailor your resume", which came out as "Taylor you're resume". It also constantly auto-corrects to the wrong "you're" a lot. I'll rephrase my message over sending one with wrong grammar, if I get the choice. I also hate when I've got a word spelled in a certain way, but right before the message sends, Siri auto-corrects it to something else.
  • ShibaEars
    Options
    jthurman3 wrote: »

Right?? This bugs me, too. And I'm from the US. I want to yell "It's FOY-YAY, dummy!!" But that's me being judgy. Oops.

I stand corrected. It must just be the people they select for that show! Just to bug the rest of us lol
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    Options
    LBuehrle8 wrote: »
    LBuehrle8 wrote: »
    pofoster21 wrote: »
    I prefer ice cream to cake by FAR. At birthday parties as a kid I sometimes decided to not take cake and just eat ice cream. Especially those gross cakes with the generic icing you can get in grocery stores. Don't know what the type of icing is called... but while kids were screaming for the piece in the center with the most blue frilly icing on it, I was like ''Just give me the end piece." Now one time I had a cake that switched out icing for some delicious strawberry filling and I was all for seconds. :tongue:

This is me, except the strawberry filling part, since I generally hate fruit mixed into any kind of dessert. Most grocery store cakes and even standard bakery cakes taste yucky to me, especially that really weird styrofoam textured icing that they use. It's very, very rare that I find a cake that I actually WANT to eat--there's only ONE bakery in Oman that I enjoy cake from. One. In the whole country. :p (At least it's the only one that I know of, and I've tasted quite a lot.)
    Yes! Styrofoamy is right. I can really love a good home baked cake, though. My sister and I once made a delicious black cherry chocolate cake. You probably wouldn't like it because of the fruit, but maaaan it was delicious. I also love making homemade carrot cakes with CREAM CHEESE icing.

Exactly! When I first met my in-laws, they bought a cake that was supposedly red velvet from a bakery that has a good reputation here in Saudi Arabia. It was terrible--it tasted just like a grocery store cake, stale and styrofoamy. I forced it down out of politeness. :s

The cake bakery that I enjoy makes THE BEST dense, fresh, DELICIOUS cakes with real buttercream icing, cream cheese frosting, chocolate ganache, etc. They aren't cheap, but they're worth every penny. I go there every time I visit Oman. I haven't found anything like it in Saudi Arabia. :-/

Confession: I make buttercream and eat it without cake. Sometimes I mix in blueberries or strawberries.

At least you make the buttercream.

Your post just reminded me that there is some leftover pre-made frosting in my fridge and I fully intend to eat it, with a spoon, over the next few days... willful cakelessness. Nor am I going to mix in fruit and up the nutritional quotient.

I love frosting. I happily eat it without cake. Sometimes I eat it off the cake and throw the cake away. :)

Hahaha I do too Patricia!! I heart icing so much!

When I would stay at my grandma's I would always look in her fridge to see if she had any icing & then I would take a spoon & eat some.

In high school my friends & I would go to the grocery store on our spares just to buy icing to eat.

American translation?

Probably what we would call a study hall? Just a guess.

I was thinking of a "free period" or something, where you don't have any class that hour. We didn't have anything like it in my high school (years and years ago... :# ) Study hall was an actual class you had to attend, or be found absent.

Yearbook staff got to spend study hall running all over school taking random photos. Loved it!
  • hnsaunde
    Options
    @Tubbs216, awesome news about your son!
  • ShibaEars
    Options
    While we're on the topic of pronunciation... ENvelope or ONvelope? (I say "en")
    I didn't know on-velope was a thing. Envelope for me too!

And... is vi-co a shortened version of vicodin? I have no clue :lol:

LOL no it's what we used to call chocolate here in Saskatchewan when I was a kid. I don't hear it much anymore though.

:confused: What?!

Yep true story!

a806rge4vkek.png

... Huh. I don't know what to say about the chocolate milk one lol. Is/was it a brand or something?
  • hnsaunde
    Options
    So.... the word "syrup." You guys say see-rup or sir-up?

I'm all about sir-up ;)

I say seer-up, but prefer to eat honey or fruit on my pancakes and waffles...

Peanut butter and raspberries are tasty on pancakes too!