Confession Time! ((ABSOLUTELY NO JUDGEMENT))

Options

Replies

• spamarie
    spamarie Posts: 2,825 Member
    Options
    ythannah wrote: »
    MoHousdon wrote: »
    Just_Ceci wrote: »
    I am known at work for making really good cakes, usually from scratch. Today one of the guys is leaving to take a job out of state, so they asked me to make him a German chocolate cake. I made it- box mix, can of frosting. Everyone is raving about how good it is. I don't know whether I should be flattered or disappointed.

ETA: Yay me, I can follow directions!

German Choc cake is the one I'm the most tempted to do this with. I never make anything out of a box (My kitchen would have to be on fire first lol) but German Choc Cake from scratch tastes almost exactly like a box mix. If anything, scratch made is less sweet and mild chocolate flavor. The cake is a cinch to make, but the frosting is a PITA. Making the caramel base and throwing in the pecans and stirring til your arms hate you on extremely low heat drives me nuts... My mom asks for a GC Cake every year for her birthday and I do it but every year I swear I'm substituting Duncan Hines...Then no matter how cold/cooled off the cake is, even if you do a crumb coat, frosting it is HARD.

This is the mix I used:

It is delicious! It has a separate packet of coconut pecan mix to add in before baking. It is super moist! I baked it in a 9 x 13 pan and frosted it with whatever brand of coconut pecan frosting I grabbed first. (Betty Crocker, I think?)
    Edit: because spelling is hard.

Would I be driven out of the thread if I admitted that I'd most likely HATE German Chocolate cake? I hate nuts in everything (they can only be eaten alone, unless we're talking nut butter), and I really hate coconut in desserts--and in everything else. I can only eat it plain and fresh.
    German chocolate cake has a special place in my heart. My dad used to buy one for everyone on their birthday, thinking it was our favorite cake. The truth is it wasn't the favorite cake of any of us... except for my dad. I think he convinced himself everyone loved it as much as him. Now it always makes me think about him <3

I also do like German chocolate cake, and I'm not a big cake person. I love coconut!

Apparently I loved licorice allsorts as a kid. I have no independent recollection of this.

My father buys me a HUGE tin of them every Christmas as a result.

I don't much care for them any more. Next tin is going to the office for the vultures to devour.

I have zero clue what this is.

3446158757_bcb3cf754e.jpg

Agreed that looks pretty weird. Some almost look like styrofoam.

I find it funny that so many Americans think liquorice Allsorts look weird (they're lovely btw) when you have rainbow coloured cereal and the most bizarre coloured fizzy pop ever. I think we must have a different set of approved food colourings in the EU compared to the States.
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    Options
    @MelissaPhippsFeagins @nonoelmo @MoHousdon
    Turns out he was just joking. He had NO idea it would hurt my feelings and when we talked, he was about to apologize and I asked him not to. It wasn't his fault I took it the wrong way. He said he knows I'm smart and thinks I'm "young, beautiful, and have a lot of potential." Yeah he used those words. :blush:
    He's encouraging me to go back to school, which is good.

I keep getting this feeling that he wants me to be happy, not just rich. :wink:

I am so glad that you worked it out. If you were going back to school, what would it be for?
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    Options
    peleroja wrote: »
    I'm not caught up but just came to complain that traffic and construction made our 3 hr drive into over 5 hours, so by the time we got to the trailhead we wouldn't have finished hiking until 10PM. So...we had to turn around and drive back, which we're still doing. So ten hours of driving for absolutely nothing. Not impressed.

Oh, that's maddening.
  • KylerJaye
    KylerJaye Posts: 861 Member
    Options
    pofoster21 wrote: »
    Tubbs216 wrote: »
    @LBuehrle8 Ok, you're off to the UK very soon. Here's your food list! Some Harry Potter related, some just British stuff that you have to try. In no particular order. (And to the Brits: Yes, I know that nobody in the UK eats like this really! Some of these are just things I miss and enjoy when we visit. Feel free to add to Laura's list!)

Treacle Tart
    Bangers & Mash
    Cream cake from a bakery
    Curry from a proper curry house (ideally at 11pm after the pub closes)
    Sherbert lemons
    Bacon sandwich
    'Full English' breakfast
    Cornish pasty
    Trifle
    Chocolate Frog
    Spotted Dick & custard
    Pork pie
    Crumpets
    Cream Tea
    Fish and chips (ideally eaten with fingers on a beach)
    Butterbeer
    Sunday roast (pubs are good if nobody wants to cook)
    Toad In The Hole
    More curry

What is a chocolate frog? and what is butterbeer? I assure you those are not regular British things! Are they more a regional thing Tubbs?

HARRY POTTER!

So things that don't really exist then :expressionless:
    Well, they do now!
    79uqla3cg1bz.jpg
    b8y6q6lmi7ds.jpg

Can you buy them in tesco?

Not that I know of ;) But I did have a butterbeer in Hogsmeade in FL... hot and cold. Both good but way too fattening. My nephew got the chocolate frog. I think both my niece and nephew got the Bertie Botts flavoured jelly beans. They even got ear wax! I refused to try them. :)

when i worked at borders (rip) we sold boxes of bertie botts every flavor beans, and chocolate frogs. when we had the book seven midnight release party, we went through cases of both, all the kids were running around on massive sugar highs. lil capes and wands flying through the air. it was pretty fun :)
  • xLoveLikeWinterx
    xLoveLikeWinterx Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    nonoelmo wrote: »
    Turns out he was just joking. He had NO idea it would hurt my feelings and when we talked, he was about to apologize and I asked him not to. It wasn't his fault I took it the wrong way. He said he knows I'm smart and thinks I'm "young, beautiful, and have a lot of potential." Yeah he used those words. :blush:

I wondered if he might have been joking and wondered if he thought it were completely obvious (to him) that he was joking.

You are smart and beautiful (young too) and you have TONS of potential. Totally get your tucus back in school. The sooner the better. I speak from loads of experience (and others here have taken similar paths) that the sooner you get back into school the better. It does not become easier to return the longer you wait. You can PM me any time if you need extra or specific encouragement but you can do this.

Step 1: Do you have all the prerequisites out of the way? Do those even one at at time while you are working. Take a FUN class first to get yourself back in the school mode. It can even be a non-credit course just for fun. Do it.)
    Step 2: (this may be step one) fill out a FAFSA and make a note to fill it out again Jan 1 or 2 of next year.
    Step 3: (notice this is NOT at all the first step,) figure out what you want to do, what you want to major in and get in to talk to an academic adviser about what steps are needed. (Repeat this step, often you need to talk to multiple people to get all the answers you need.)
    Step 4: Look at resources and scholarships and other funding sources. When I started back I was in talking to the financial aid advisers, academic advisers, and the women support center. I asked classmates questions, and just kept asking until I figured things out. Look for scholarships. Keep looking. If you go to a community college get great grades and join the honor society (I swear to you this helped me get a $10,000 deans scholarship when I transferred to a four-year college.)
    Step 5: Understand and internalize that you CAN do this. We believe in you. Look to others for inspiration too, I know this amazing talented group of people can offer great insight into their experience and what they did.

Thumbnail of my experience:
    At age 32 with a medically fragile infant and a 2 year old as a stay at home mom to care for those kids, working graveyard shift, I thought I'd take "one" class a semester and maybe someday earn an associates degree.
    On my 42nd birthday I was conferred a PhD in chemistry.

I believe in you!!!

OMG! There IS hope for me!

I keep thinking at 26 it might be too late. :disappointed:

I have some prerequisites out of the way but I never made it far because I was always over loaded. Now, I have nothing but time and maybe I could get my friend Alycia back into school and she could get a degree too!

I work overnights and have lots of time for studying and my Sergeants and Lieutenant all think I should study while working. It would be nice to get a Bachelor's Degree in something. :smiley:

I'm 33 and going back to grad school again for my MS. I worked full-time office work 50+ hrs/week on my way through my BA, BS, MA, and MBA- never had the typical college experience with drinking til ya puke and all that. Did some CLEP tests so tested out of stuff, community college, online courses, whatever I could pay for. Took me forever but once I got my BA, I was encouraged to take "a bit more" and just kept going. I did the MBA and now this MS starting in 3 weeks while being a mom, still working full-time, all of it. You can totally do it!

The biggest thing that helps me is staying organized. I'm the dork with a calendar because I have to write down tests and papers so I know when everything is due. I check it all the time.

The sense of accomplishment fuels a lot of other things in life and it will be SO worth it.
  • xLoveLikeWinterx
    xLoveLikeWinterx Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    spamarie wrote: »
    MoHousdon wrote: »
    I am known at work for making really good cakes, usually from scratch. Today one of the guys is leaving to take a job out of state, so they asked me to make him a German chocolate cake. I made it- box mix, can of frosting. Everyone is raving about how good it is. I don't know whether I should be flattered or disappointed.

ETA: Yay me, I can follow directions!

German Choc cake is the one I'm the most tempted to do this with. I never make anything out of a box (My kitchen would have to be on fire first lol) but German Choc Cake from scratch tastes almost exactly like a box mix. If anything, scratch made is less sweet and mild chocolate flavor. The cake is a cinch to make, but the frosting is a PITA. Making the caramel base and throwing in the pecans and stirring til your arms hate you on extremely low heat drives me nuts... My mom asks for a GC Cake every year for her birthday and I do it but every year I swear I'm substituting Duncan Hines...Then no matter how cold/cooled off the cake is, even if you do a crumb coat, frosting it is HARD.

This is the mix I used:

It is delicious! It has a separate packet of coconut pecan mix to add in before baking. It is super moist! I baked it in a 9 x 13 pan and frosted it with whatever brand of coconut pecan frosting I grabbed first. (Betty Crocker, I think?)
    Edit: because spelling is hard.

Would I be driven out of the thread if I admitted that I'd most likely HATE German Chocolate cake? I hate nuts in everything (they can only be eaten alone, unless we're talking nut butter), and I really hate coconut in desserts--and in everything else. I can only eat it plain and fresh.
    German chocolate cake has a special place in my heart. My dad used to buy one for everyone on their birthday, thinking it was our favorite cake. The truth is it wasn't the favorite cake of any of us... except for my dad. I think he convinced himself everyone loved it as much as him. Now it always makes me think about him <3

I also do like German chocolate cake, and I'm not a big cake person. I love coconut!

Apparently I loved licorice allsorts as a kid. I have no independent recollection of this.

My father buys me a HUGE tin of them every Christmas as a result.

I don't much care for them any more. Next tin is going to the office for the vultures to devour.

I have zero clue what this is.

3446158757_bcb3cf754e.jpg

Agreed that looks pretty weird. Some almost look like styrofoam.

I find it funny that so many Americans think liquorice Allsorts look weird (they're lovely btw) when you have rainbow coloured cereal and the most bizarre coloured fizzy pop ever. I think we must have a different set of approved food colourings in the EU compared to the States.

Our FDA is so bizarre :( And for the record, I can't stand fizzy drinks or the colored fruity pebbles type cereal, either.
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    Options
    I am holding a conversation with myself. :neutral: It is time for me to get some sleep. Goodnight all!

I'm totally here! But I am at work and had to make my rounds. :smiley: I do a little bit more than just sit around all night watching videos on Youtube. :smiley:

I want to take something difficult but not too hard. Maybe a beginner chemistry course? I've always hoped to understand chemistry. I made the attempt when I was married but my now ex-husband had me signed up for History, Biology, English Literature, and an Algebra refresher course along with Chemistry. I was also working 60+ hours a week bartending....how I was supposed to do ALL of that and keep the house together while he was unemployed was a little beyond me.

I think I will start with Math for my first class. I'm good at math and it makes sense to me.

Math is a good starting spot for anything you would keep doing at MD Anderson. Go for it!!! (and was your ex trying to kill you? Seriously, that's way too much...)
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    Options
    I'm having a good day today. Feeling very chirpy this morning. Had an epic session in the gym last night. (PT session, weights and a spin class). Just waiting for the DOMs to set in!

And after much too-ing and fro-ing we finally booked our holiday! Who knew coordinating 5 people's diaries and wants would be so difficult, especially when we all say 'oh, i'm easy, i don't mind'. Turns out we do. Anyway, we're having 3 weeks in Cyprus in September. The smarties and I fly out on the 5th and have a few days on our own, then my parents and Charlie come out on the 9th. Mr Smartie flies back on the 15th for work, and the rest of us fly back on the 25th. I can't wait! Its been such a horrible year, we all just need a relaxing sunshine break.

I am feeling a little narked about having to go into central london for a meeting today and i'll miss my spin class this evening :( but really, its a minor inconvenience, because i love walking round London, looking at the blue plaques and the architecture.

Hope i can keep things under control for the next few weeks, and get some lbs off before i go!

Sounds wonderful! you can definitely keep things under control, but don't judge yourself if you don't , just go have a good time.
  • LBuehrle8
    LBuehrle8 Posts: 4,044 Member
    Options
    KylerJaye wrote: »
    @LBuehrle8 Ok, you're off to the UK very soon. Here's your food list! Some Harry Potter related, some just British stuff that you have to try. In no particular order. (And to the Brits: Yes, I know that nobody in the UK eats like this really! Some of these are just things I miss and enjoy when we visit. Feel free to add to Laura's list!)

Treacle Tart
    Bangers & Mash
    Cream cake from a bakery
    Sherbert lemons
    Bacon sandwich
    'Full English' breakfast
    Cornish pasty
    Trifle
    Chocolate Frog
    Spotted Dick & custard
    Pork pie
    Crumpets
    Cream Tea
    Butterbeer
    Toad In The Hole
    More curry

What is a chocolate frog? and what is butterbeer? I assure you those are not regular British things! Are they more a regional thing Tubbs?

HARRY POTTER!

Well, they do now!
    79uqla3cg1bz.jpg
    b8y6q6lmi7ds.jpg

Not that I know of ;) But I did have a butterbeer in Hogsmeade in FL... hot and cold. Both good but way too fattening. My nephew got the chocolate frog. I think both my niece and nephew got the Bertie Botts flavoured jelly beans. They even got ear wax! I refused to try them. :)

when i worked at borders (rip) we sold boxes of bertie botts every flavor beans, and chocolate frogs. when we had the book seven midnight release party, we went through cases of both, all the kids were running around on massive sugar highs. lil capes and wands flying through the air. it was pretty fun :)

I was that 23 year old running around with a sugar high, my cape and wand in hand!! haha
  • Italian_Buju
    Italian_Buju Posts: 8,030 Member
    Options
    I'm not caught up but just came to complain that traffic and construction made our 3 hr drive into over 5 hours, so by the time we got to the trailhead we wouldn't have finished hiking until 10PM. So...we had to turn around and drive back, which we're still doing. So ten hours of driving for absolutely nothing. Not impressed.

Oh I am so sorry!! That really sucks! How frustrating!
  • KylerJaye
    KylerJaye Posts: 861 Member
    Options
    LBuehrle8 wrote: »

Treacle Tart
    Bangers & Mash
    Cream cake from a bakery
    Sherbert lemons
    Bacon sandwich
    'Full English' breakfast
    Cornish pasty
    Trifle
    Chocolate Frog
    Spotted Dick & custard
    Pork pie
    Crumpets
    Cream Tea
    Butterbeer
    Toad In The Hole
    More curry

HARRY POTTER!

Well, they do now!
    79uqla3cg1bz.jpg
    b8y6q6lmi7ds.jpg

I was that 23 year old running around with a sugar high, my cape and wand in hand!! haha

hahaha awesome!!
    borders dubbed the event the Grand Hallows Ball, so all the employees (me included) were dressed in ball gowns and suits. i wore a full long strapless black ball gown, it was way more fun than any prom i'd ever gone to! :D
  • kellienw335
    kellienw335 Posts: 1,745 Member
    Options

I wondered if he might have been joking and wondered if he thought it were completely obvious (to him) that he was joking.

You are smart and beautiful (young too) and you have TONS of potential. Totally get your tucus back in school. The sooner the better. I speak from loads of experience (and others here have taken similar paths) that the sooner you get back into school the better. It does not become easier to return the longer you wait. You can PM me any time if you need extra or specific encouragement but you can do this.

Step 1: Do you have all the prerequisites out of the way? Do those even one at at time while you are working. Take a FUN class first to get yourself back in the school mode. It can even be a non-credit course just for fun. Do it.)
    Step 2: (this may be step one) fill out a FAFSA and make a note to fill it out again Jan 1 or 2 of next year.
    Step 3: (notice this is NOT at all the first step,) figure out what you want to do, what you want to major in and get in to talk to an academic adviser about what steps are needed. (Repeat this step, often you need to talk to multiple people to get all the answers you need.)
    Step 4: Look at resources and scholarships and other funding sources. When I started back I was in talking to the financial aid advisers, academic advisers, and the women support center. I asked classmates questions, and just kept asking until I figured things out. Look for scholarships. Keep looking. If you go to a community college get great grades and join the honor society (I swear to you this helped me get a $10,000 deans scholarship when I transferred to a four-year college.)
    Step 5: Understand and internalize that you CAN do this. We believe in you. Look to others for inspiration too, I know this amazing talented group of people can offer great insight into their experience and what they did.

At age 32 with a medically fragile infant and a 2 year old as a stay at home mom to care for those kids, working graveyard shift, I thought I'd take "one" class a semester and maybe someday earn an associates degree.

I believe in you!!!

I have some prerequisites out of the way but I never made it far because I was always over loaded. Now, I have nothing but time and maybe I could get my friend Alycia back into school and she could get a degree too!

I work overnights and have lots of time for studying and my Sergeants and Lieutenant all think I should study while working. It would be nice to get a Bachelor's Degree in something. :smiley:

I went back at 25 and graduated at 28. You can do it!
  • Italian_Buju
    Options

I did not comment on the original post, because it seemed to me that it was a joke, and I thought you were upset that he was joking, so I did not know what to say. I am glad it is all worked out and you are no longer upset about it....
  • Italian_Buju
    Options
    I am holding a conversation with myself. :neutral: It is time for me to get some sleep. Goodnight all!

This made me laugh!
  • Italian_Buju
    Options
    I'm having a good day today. Feeling very chirpy this morning. Had an epic session in the gym last night. (PT session, weights and a spin class). Just waiting for the DOMs to set in!

And after much too-ing and fro-ing we finally booked our holiday! Who knew coordinating 5 people's diaries and wants would be so difficult, especially when we all say 'oh, i'm easy, i don't mind'. Turns out we do. Anyway, we're having 3 weeks in Cyprus in September. The smarties and I fly out on the 5th and have a few days on our own, then my parents and Charlie come out on the 9th. Mr Smartie flies back on the 15th for work, and the rest of us fly back on the 25th. I can't wait! Its been such a horrible year, we all just need a relaxing sunshine break.

I am feeling a little narked about having to go into central london for a meeting today and i'll miss my spin class this evening :( but really, its a minor inconvenience, because i love walking round London, looking at the blue plaques and the architecture.

Hope i can keep things under control for the next few weeks, and get some lbs off before i go!

Glad things are looking up for you!!
  • Italian_Buju
    Options
    spamarie wrote: »
    Okay to all my British pals- asked the SO what marmite is ( I didn't want to tell him y'all had already told me as he likes explaining those kinds of things to me :)) his reponse- "Eugh marmite is some disgusting vegetable spread. It's slogan is you either love it or hit it which tells you a lot!" I cracked up as this was the same response from a lot of you!

There is a lot of Marmite hate going on in this thread. I may have to disown you all!

I might have some Marmite on cheese on toast for tea. The tea of kings.

Please explain to me what is appealing about that?? Like I can't believe that would be tasty at all!
  • m1xm0d3
    m1xm0d3 Posts: 1,576 Member
    Options

Oooooh man. My saltiness would know no bounds. Sorry for the misfortune.
  • Susieq_1994
    Susieq_1994 Posts: 5,361 Member
    Options

I thought that he probably was, because what he said sounded exactly like something my husband would say to tease me--that's just the way his sense of humor works. :p I'm glad you got it all cleared up.
  • Susieq_1994
    Susieq_1994 Posts: 5,361 Member
    Options

I believe in you!!!

Assuming your average life expectancy is about 82... do you really believe anything is too late at age 26?

My grandfather, born a (SusieQ is the B word for illegitimate on your list of words not to use?) born an illegitimate child in 1902 went back to school in the late 1950's for his third degree. That was almost completely unheard of at the time. No judgement whatsoever to you - Just STOP limiting yourself with false deadlines and made up limitations. It is not at all too late. Now is a wonderful time. You have some life experience, you have time, you have more of an idea of why it is important, you recognize how much it will change your life. Start taking some steps to get moving. Don't just jump in too fast, though, ease back in with one or maybe two classes. The adult brain does change and if you have been out of school you have to relearn how to learn. It is all a good thing but it is different too.

Do it!! :smiley:<3

Well, I don't like the word, but not because of the original meaning it implies--I don't like it because it's used as an insulting/vulgar expression nowadays, not a legitimate word meaning "someone who was born outside of the sanctity of marriage". While I dislike it, it isn't an anxiety trigger when it's used as originally intended--however, I prefer the phrase "illegitimate" over it, due to my above explanation.
  • LBuehrle8
    LBuehrle8 Posts: 4,044 Member
    Options

Treacle Tart
    Bangers & Mash
    Cream cake from a bakery
    Sherbert lemons
    Bacon sandwich
    'Full English' breakfast
    Cornish pasty
    Trifle
    Chocolate Frog
    Spotted Dick & custard
    Pork pie
    Crumpets
    Cream Tea
    Butterbeer
    Toad In The Hole
    More curry

HARRY POTTER!

Well, they do now!
    79uqla3cg1bz.jpg
    b8y6q6lmi7ds.jpg

hahaha awesome!!
    borders dubbed the event the Grand Hallows Ball, so all the employees (me included) were dressed in ball gowns and suits. i wore a full long strapless black ball gown, it was way more fun than any prom i'd ever gone to! :D

JEALOUS- That sounds AWESOME!!