Calorie Counter

You are currently viewing the message boards in:

Carbs and Fats are cheap. Here's a Guide to getting your PROTEIN's worth. Fiber also...

andrikosDEandrikosDE Posts: 384Member Member Posts: 384Member Member
Below you can see the link to the Google Spreadsheet that I created containing 318 foods (as of 5th Sept. 2015) which shows the following:

Column Title Meaning
A P%Cal Rank Ranking of food by Protein Kcal / Total Cals (Highest is ranked 1st)
B Food Food Name
C Food Category 1 of 12 food categories
D Kcal Caloric content of 100g of food (EU standard)
E Protein Protein content per 100g of food (also doubles as a percentage)
F Carb Carb content per 100g of food (also doubles as a percentage)
G Fat Fat content per 100g of food (also doubles as a percentage)
H Fiber Fiber content per 100g of food (also doubles as a percentage)
I Grams Fiber/100kcal This is the fiber bang for your caloric buck information. Especially good for calorie restricted diets

J Protein Quality This info is taken from the nutritiondata.self.com site. More info here: http://nutritiondata.self.com/help/analysis-help#protein-quality
17fspk2prn99.jpg

K Nutrient Completeness info
This info is taken from the nutritiondata.self.com site. More info here: http://nutritiondata.self.com/help/analysis-help#nutrient-balance-indicator
uvs366ipki5d.jpg

L P%Cal Percentage of how many calories of protein as compared to the total calories of the food. In essence this is the reason this spreadsheet exists.

M-U Hidden columns. They contain all the ranking of columns B-K above and are used to calculate the overall ranking of the foodlist.

V Rank of Rankings Takes all the rankings above (M-U) and averages the rankings. Highest average ranking (lowest number) is the top food based on the above criteria (Seafood, tuna) and bottom has the lowest (Food, Chocolate Dark 45-59% cacao). It doesn't mean that the bottom ranked food is "bad", it just means that it's not best bank for the buck in regards to the above criteria.

There you have it.
Have fun browsing the list.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/12LrMGp8HiWl2FW-odoexKBMxeDTMUhwd4ooT6VoolJk/edit#gid=0

PS If anyone wants to add more info, please let me know and I can provide you with editing privileges.
edited September 2015

Replies

• yarwellyarwell Posts: 10,573Member Member Posts: 10,573Member Member
    Interesting. I thought you were going to throw cost ($) in there too from the title.
  • Gianfranco_RGianfranco_R Posts: 1,297Member Member Posts: 1,297Member Member
    Just to thank you and to follow the thread
  • nvmomketonvmomketo Posts: 12,031Member Member Posts: 12,031Member Member
    Interesting. I have a couple of questions:

How was nutritional value and ranking determined?

Was fibre included in the nutritional ranking? (I'm not much of a believer in the benefits of fibre for myself.)
  • karyabckaryabc Posts: 835Member Member Posts: 835Member Member
    Wow thanks, that's freaking awesome, congrats on the dedication and hard work I assume you put into this

Loving that tuna is number 2/4 B) !
  • GaleHawkinsGaleHawkins Posts: 7,640Member Member Posts: 7,640Member Member
    @andrikosDE thanks for that hard work. My protein macro is 15% and fat is 80% so this helps at a glance to find new foods I can add.
  • mommistamommista Posts: 1Member, Premium Member Posts: 1Member, Premium Member
    following. Thanks for the information!
  • Liftng4LisLiftng4Lis Posts: 15,161Member Member Posts: 15,161Member Member
  • andrikosDEandrikosDE Posts: 384Member Member Posts: 384Member Member
    nvmomketo wrote: »

Was fibre included in the nutritional ranking? (I'm not much of a believer in the benefits of fibre for myself.)

If I understand your question well, you're asking how I calculated the "rank of rankings" list?

"rank of rankings" is the average ranking of all columns (D through L). As you can see, Protein is counted 3 times: Protein content, P%cal and protein quality (numbers of and quantities of all essential aminoacids).
    Fiber, naturally only occurs in plant based foods so all meats, seafood and dairy get a rank of 174 and, yes, it's one of the criteria.
    Also, carb content is ranked by the carb-fiber calculation as fiber content is not counted as calories.
    edited September 2015
  • nvmomketonvmomketo Posts: 12,031Member Member Posts: 12,031Member Member
    andrikosDE wrote: »
    nvmomketo wrote: »

If I understand your question well, you're asking how I calculated the "rank of rankings" list?

"rank of rankings" is the average ranking of all columns (D through L). As you can see, Protein is counted 3 times: Protein content, protein quality, P%cal and protein quality (numbers of and quantities of all essential aminoacids).
    Fiber, naturally only occurs in plant based foods so all meats, seafood and dairy get a rank of 174 and, yes, it's one of the criteria.

Great. Thanks. :)
    karyabc wrote: »
    Wow thanks, that's freaking awesome, congrats on the dedication and hard work I assume you put into this

Loving that tuna is number 2/4 B) !

Thanks and, yes, you assume correctly... ;)
    you should do a vegetarian option

All you have to do is filter out all the content that you don't want to see. There are many versions of vegetarians and all can be served by filtering out whatever food category they don't want to see.
    The spreadsheet link is in the first post.
    If you don't know how to do it, let me know.
    Also, feel free to post your results. :smiley:
    edited September 2015
  • PeachyCarolPeachyCarol Posts: 8,040Member Member Posts: 8,040Member Member
    Awesome work, thank you!
  • zyxstzyxst Posts: 9,147Member Member Posts: 9,147Member Member
    Tagging for reference. Thanks for doing the work.