Carbs and Fats are cheap. Here's a Guide to getting your PROTEIN's worth. Fiber also...

andrikosDE
andrikosDE Posts: 383 Member
edited December 2022 in Food and Nutrition
Below you can see the link to the Google Spreadsheet that I created containing 318 foods (as of 5th Sept. 2015) which shows the following:

Column - Title - Meaning
  • A - P%Cal Rank - Ranking of food by Protein Kcal / Total Cals (Highest is ranked 1st)
  • B - Food - Food Name
  • C - Food Category - 1 of 12 food categories
  • D - Kcal - Caloric content of 100g of food (EU standard)
  • E - Protein - Protein content per 100g of food (also doubles as a percentage)
  • F - Carb - Carb content per 100g of food (also doubles as a percentage)
  • G - Fat - Fat content per 100g of food (also doubles as a percentage)
  • H - Fiber - Fiber content per 100g of food (also doubles as a percentage)
  • I - Grams Fiber/100kcal - This is the fiber bang for your caloric buck information. Especially good for calorie-restricted diets
  • J - Protein Quality - This info is taken from the nutritiondata.self.com site. More info here: https://nutritiondata.self.com/help/analysis-help#protein-quality
    17fspk2prn99.jpg
  • K - Nutrient Completeness info - This info is taken from the nutritiondata.self.com site. More info here: https://nutritiondata.self.com/help/analysis-help#nutrient-balance-indicator
    uvs366ipki5d.jpg
  • L - P%Cal - Percentage of how many calories of protein as compared to the total calories of the food. In essence, this is the reason this spreadsheet exists.
  • M-U - Hidden columns - They contain all the ranking of columns B-K above and are used to calculate the overall ranking of the food list.
  • V - Rank of Rankings - Takes all the rankings above (M-U) and averages the rankings. The highest average ranking (lowest number) is the top food based on the above criteria (Seafood, tuna) and the bottom has the lowest (Food, Chocolate Dark 45-59% cacao). It doesn't mean that the bottom-ranked food is "bad", it just means that it's not the best bank for the buck in regards to the above criteria.

There you have it.
Have fun browsing the list.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/12LrMGp8HiWl2FW-odoexKBMxeDTMUhwd4ooT6VoolJk/edit#gid=0

PS If anyone wants to add more info, please let me know and I can provide you with editing privileges.

Replies

• yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,478 Member
    Interesting. I thought you were going to throw cost ($) in there too from the title.
  • Gianfranco_R
    Gianfranco_R Posts: 1,297 Member
    Just to thank you and to follow the thread
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Interesting. I have a couple of questions:

How was nutritional value and ranking determined?

Was fibre included in the nutritional ranking? (I'm not much of a believer in the benefits of fibre for myself.)
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    @andrikosDE thanks for that hard work. My protein macro is 15% and fat is 80% so this helps at a glance to find new foods I can add.
  • mommista
    mommista Posts: 1 Member
    following. Thanks for the information!
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Nice work!
  • andrikosDE
    edited September 2015
    nvmomketo wrote: »

Was fibre included in the nutritional ranking? (I'm not much of a believer in the benefits of fibre for myself.)

If I understand your question well, you're asking how I calculated the "rank of rankings" list?

"rank of rankings" is the average ranking of all columns (D through L). As you can see, Protein is counted 3 times: Protein content, P%cal and protein quality (numbers of and quantities of all essential aminoacids).
    Fiber, naturally only occurs in plant based foods so all meats, seafood and dairy get a rank of 174 and, yes, it's one of the criteria.
    Also, carb content is ranked by the carb-fiber calculation as fiber content is not counted as calories.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    andrikosDE wrote: »
    nvmomketo wrote: »

If I understand your question well, you're asking how I calculated the "rank of rankings" list?

"rank of rankings" is the average ranking of all columns (D through L). As you can see, Protein is counted 3 times: Protein content, protein quality, P%cal and protein quality (numbers of and quantities of all essential aminoacids).
    Fiber, naturally only occurs in plant based foods so all meats, seafood and dairy get a rank of 174 and, yes, it's one of the criteria.

Great. Thanks. :)
  • andrikosDE
    karyabc wrote: »
    Wow thanks, that's freaking awesome, congrats on the dedication and hard work I assume you put into this

Loving that tuna is number 2/4 B) !

Thanks and, yes, you assume correctly... ;)
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Awesome work, thank you!
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Tagging for reference. Thanks for doing the work.