Confession Time! ((ABSOLUTELY NO JUDGEMENT))

Options

Replies

• MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    Options
    saraherren wrote: »
    So in May 2014, I graduated from college with a Bachelor of Science in Biochemistry. After looking for over a year, I finally landed an incredible new job on Tuesday with a well-known medical company specializing in eye care (won't say the name of the company). I'll get to do a bunch of chemistry lab testing (which is very exciting to me :p).

I get to quit my current job next week (where I'm on my feet 4-5 hours every day for 6 days a week). I've been celebrating getting this new job all week but plan on getting back on track by Monday.

Congratulations!!
  • Susieq_1994
    Susieq_1994 Posts: 5,361 Member
    Options
    ejb060793 wrote: »
    @Susieq_1994 The thing that set it over the top for me was seeing his wife. He's only 65 (I consider it young because the average age in my family is 85 - 90+) and they've been married since they were in their 20s. The doctor had to pull her out of the room to talk to her and try and calm her down because she was crying so hard. She kept rocking back and forth saying "he's going to die, I'm going to lose him". I kept thinking of what I'd do if roles were reversed and it was my husband. I know I would have been way worse than her, and would have just sat in a corner silently.

That's horrible. I would feel the same as you--I can't imagine what I would do if that were MY husband on that stretcher. Just thinking of it is enough to be terrifying for me.
  • raymax4
    raymax4 Posts: 6,070 Member
    Options
    @Susieq_1994 The thing that set it over the top for me was seeing his wife. He's only 65 (I consider it young because the average age in my family is 85 - 90+) and they've been married since they were in their 20s. The doctor had to pull her out of the room to talk to her and try and calm her down because she was crying so hard. She kept rocking back and forth saying "he's going to die, I'm going to lose him". I kept thinking of what I'd do if roles were reversed and it was my husband. I know I would have been way worse than her, and would have just sat in a corner silently.

@raymax4 Exactly, and even if I saw him on the street I probably would have no idea it was him, and if I did, all that would do is let me know he's alive. Unless a patient talks to me about their hospital stay, part of HIPAA is that I cannot approach them. So if I met you in the hospital, then saw you on the street, I cannot acknowledge that I know you in any way.. I can smile and be friendly, but not be like "oh hey, how's your foot doing?" The whole time he was there, he was laying on the stretcher with a breathing machine over his face (they kept switching between a BiPAP and a CPAP) after they got him back breathing okay again. If the hospital does do a review, it's nothing I'd be invited to attend. I'm contracted through a scribe program at the hospital, no certification or licensure required, so we have no part in any of the medical stuff, just following around the doctors and taking notes for them, letting them know when labs/diagnostic results are back, and any odd things in their chart (like a diagnosis of chest pain when they came in with a broken toe)

@Italian_Buju I came home and slept for about 5 - 6 hours, and feel a little better, which also makes me feel guilty. I know that I didn't do anything wrong and he's not there because of anything that I did, but I feel bad that I'm not still crying for him. I know it sounds crazy, but my mind keeps arguing with me about moving on with life. I know I have to, whether or not he is okay. It's the first person I've seen who was that close to death. First time I didn't think I'd be able to say that a patient was stable when the doctor left... though he'd be expired. I honestly thought about calling and saying I was his daughter, just to see how he was doing, but reminded myself that it's not of my business, a clear violation of HIPAA/the law, and even if he's not alright, there's absolutely nothing I could do about it.

does the hospital or scribe service have crisis counseling? It's hard for anyone who saw what you did to come to terms with it.
  • Oberon21
    Oberon21 Posts: 13,235 Member
    Options
    Glinda1971 wrote: »
    raymax4 wrote: »
    pofoster21 wrote: »
    LBuehrle8 wrote: »
    ythannah wrote: »
    Confession: I just ate a peanut butter and jelly doughnut. If possible, I have negative regrets. That was a sound taste bud investment.

Mmm wow didn't know those existed!!

It was just a jelly doughnut with (glorious) peanut butter frosting, but it was absolutely what I needed/wanted.

My local doughnut shop makes a strawberry filled doughnut with peanut butter icing. I miss those. And this year they are making a pumpkin filled with cream cheese icing. I got Mr. Mel.one the other day. It smelled wonderful.

Dear God,

Please let Heaven be filled with these pumpkin donuts when I get there. Thank you.

Love,

Laura

Yes, yes... 1000 times yes.

The only good thing about fall: it's Pumpkin Season.

Blasphemy! I love fall. I can't wait for jacket weather.

ETA: It occurs to me that Canadian fall is probably not what I'd like fall to be. I'll just be over here with my apple cider...

Yep- separated at birth.

I am a fall/winter person. I like sweaters, tights, high boots, etc. I do not like summer clothes. I am always glad when fall hits.

I agree I love seeing how people layer their clothes, their boots, & the different jacks they wear.

Plus it's better to see customers in more clothes rather than seeing less of them.

I enjoy every season but usually by the end of one season I'm ready for the next.
    I'm looking forward to fall and cooler weather.

I enjoy 3 seasons of the year like that. Usually by Christmas I'm sick of winter.

That's because you live in Canada!

Yes. Winter is long and dark and cold and snowy.

Yes it is. I hate that is still dark in the morning when I get up now. I am not a fan of winter at all!

I hate when you go to work in the dark and when you leave, still dark :'(

That is the one part of winter I do hate.
  • Oberon21
    Options
    ericGold15 wrote: »
    This is the best thread at MFP, hands down. Thank you to all the brave and honest souls.

My all-grown-up daughter reminded me the other day that one Halloween she woke up the morning after to find a pile of wrappers in the living room. My explanation that I was saving her from the ravages of candy did not go over well.

Must remember to buy her a pile of chocolate when she visits during the holidays.

I think you saving her from all the candy was a wise decision! Welcome!
  • Oberon21
    Options
    So in May 2014, I graduated from college with a Bachelor of Science in Biochemistry. After looking for over a year, I finally landed an incredible new job on Tuesday with a well-known medical company specializing in eye care (won't say the name of the company). I'll get to do a bunch of chemistry lab testing (which is very exciting to me :p).

I get to quit my current job next week (where I'm on my feet 4-5 hours every day for 6 days a week). I've been celebrating getting this new job all week but plan on getting back on track by Monday.

Congratulations! This is very exciting!
  • Oberon21
    Options
    Confession: I just ate a peanut butter and jelly doughnut. If possible, I have negative regrets. That was a sound taste bud investment.

It was just a jelly doughnut with (glorious) peanut butter frosting, but it was absolutely what I needed/wanted.

My local doughnut shop makes a strawberry filled doughnut with peanut butter icing. I miss those. And this year they are making a pumpkin filled with cream cheese icing. I got Mr. Mel.one the other day. It smelled wonderful.

Dear God,

Please let Heaven be filled with these pumpkin donuts when I get there. Thank you.

Love,

Laura

ETA: It occurs to me that Canadian fall is probably not what I'd like fall to be. I'll just be over here with my apple cider...

Yep- separated at birth.

I am a fall/winter person. I like sweaters, tights, high boots, etc. I do not like summer clothes. I am always glad when fall hits.

I agree I love seeing how people layer their clothes, their boots, & the different jacks they wear.

Plus it's better to see customers in more clothes rather than seeing less of them.

I enjoy every season but usually by the end of one season I'm ready for the next.

I enjoy 3 seasons of the year like that. Usually by Christmas I'm sick of winter.

Did you stick to your prelogged dinner drinks? :)

My prelogged drinks? Yes - except there may have been a couple additional bottle cap shooters in there. Still under calories for yesterday even if I log them.

All good! What are bottle cap shooters?
  • ShibaEars
    ShibaEars Posts: 3,928 Member
    Options

Congrats!
  • ShibaEars
    edited September 2015
    Options

Dear God,

Love,

Laura

Yep- separated at birth.

Yes it is. I hate that is still dark in the morning when I get up now. I am not a fan of winter at all!

I hate that too! My office area doesn't have any windows so I basically don't see any sunshine Monday to Friday during the winter. The older I get the more I'm liking winter though - probably because I can't handle heat. The only other part of winter I truly hate is freezing rain. It makes me mad just thinking about it - it's impossible to scrape off the car windows, and I can't walk anywhere because the whole town becomes a skating rink! :rage:
  • ShibaEars
    Options
    misskarne wrote: »
    This weekend is my birthday weekend (it's actually on Sunday). I was hoping to be under 100kg by now but I've only missed it by a kilo so I'm ok with that.

I am going to eat ALL OF THE FOOD this weekend and have ZERO regrets. :)

Happy (early) birthday!
  • Glinda1971
    Glinda1971 Posts: 2,328 Member
    Options

Dear God,

Love,

Laura

Yep- separated at birth.

My prelogged drinks? Yes - except there may have been a couple additional bottle cap shooters in there. Still under calories for yesterday even if I log them.

A bottle cap shooter is when you take a glass and put some lime juice in it. Then you put a shot glass of red sour puss (a liqueur) in the glass and drink them both together.

Tastes somewhat like bottle cap candy.
  • ShibaEars
    Options

Dear God,

Love,

Laura

Yep- separated at birth.

A bottle cap shooter is when you take a glass and put some lime juice in it. Then you put a shot glass of red sour puss (a liqueur) in the glass and drink them both together.

Is that all it is?! Those are one of my favorite shots but I had never learned what was in them.
  • kellyjellybellyjelly
    kellyjellybellyjelly Posts: 9,480 Member
    Options
    I was at work this morning (scribe in the ER) and a patient came via ambulance. He could not breathe and was slowly turning purple. He kept saying how tired he felt. He kept looking at me and I could see so much pain in his eyes. It was rough and the doctor spent an hour or so in his room trying to get him breathing. She did multiple EKGs, lab work, a chest xray, intubation, and was getting ready to helicopter him to a different facility. When my shift ended at 7, he was still there, still alive, and she wasn't sure whether or not she'd still need to fly him. I cried the whole way home. Like, fully crying, to the point where I was gasping for air and making these awful noises. I almost stopped and grabbed a pint of ice cream because I just felt so crappy. Worst part is, I'll never know whether or not he made it alright, unless I see him there again. We don't follow up with patients. Once they're gone, we have no idea what happened unless another doctor calls to update or consult about the patient.

That's so sad! I hope everything was okay, whether you know about it or not. <3

I will keep him in my prayers how sad:(.
  • Oberon21
    Options
    ShibaEars wrote: »

Dear God,

Love,

Laura

Yep- separated at birth.

Is that all it is?! Those are one of my favorite shots but I had never learned what was in them.

Sounds really sweet?
  • Oberon21
    Options
    All I can say after tonight's dinner thank goodness I will burn like 6k calories tomorrow.

Olive Garden Pumpkin Cheesecake anyone?
  • saraherren
    saraherren Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I was at work this morning (scribe in the ER) and a patient came via ambulance. He could not breathe and was slowly turning purple. He kept saying how tired he felt. He kept looking at me and I could see so much pain in his eyes. It was rough and the doctor spent an hour or so in his room trying to get him breathing. She did multiple EKGs, lab work, a chest xray, intubation, and was getting ready to helicopter him to a different facility. When my shift ended at 7, he was still there, still alive, and she wasn't sure whether or not she'd still need to fly him. I cried the whole way home. Like, fully crying, to the point where I was gasping for air and making these awful noises. I almost stopped and grabbed a pint of ice cream because I just felt so crappy. Worst part is, I'll never know whether or not he made it alright, unless I see him there again. We don't follow up with patients. Once they're gone, we have no idea what happened unless another doctor calls to update or consult about the patient.

That's so sad! Hopefully the patient is okay. I actually applied to be a scribe in an children's ER here in Fort Worth. Hoping it works out! How do you like it?
  • Italian_Buju
    Italian_Buju Posts: 8,030 Member
    Options

Dear God,

Love,

Laura

Yep- separated at birth.

I HATE winter, HATE it.....there is nothing I like about it at all. Even when people say that they like to have snow at Christmas.....nope, I don't, I do not celebrate outside so there is no need for snow.

Snow is the devil's doing!!

I think you and I were separated at birth. Lol

Yeah it is starting to look that way!
  • Italian_Buju
    Options

Dear God,

Love,

Laura

Yep- separated at birth.

I HATE winter, HATE it.....there is nothing I like about it at all. Even when people say that they like to have snow at Christmas.....nope, I don't, I do not celebrate outside so there is no need for snow.

Snow is the devil's doing!!

Move south, a little more, a little more.....
    Now are you close to the equator?

I WISH!
  • Italian_Buju
    Options
    ShibaEars wrote: »

Dear God,

Love,

Laura

Yep- separated at birth.

I hate that too! My office area doesn't have any windows so I basically don't see any sunshine Monday to Friday during the winter. The older I get the more I'm liking winter though - probably because I can't handle heat. The only other part of winter I truly hate is freezing rain. It makes me mad just thinking about it - it's impossible to scrape off the car windows, and I can't walk anywhere because the whole town becomes a skating rink! :rage:

Yeah, I have fallen a few times and really hurt myself so now I am super slow and paranoid.....my friends said if I walked any slower in the winter I would be going backwards!
  • BodyByBex
    BodyByBex Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    I was taking Tessa out for our morning walk/run (I decided on interval training). We always walk past this one house and this lady sits on her front porch and when her dogs start barking at Tessa like mad, she "Tsks" at us. EVERY TIME.
    Well my time to 'run' was going to come up in front of this lady's house and I don't want to be judged, glared at, and "tsked" at while running. Not fun. So here's my confession:

I thought of @Italian_Buju and her profile pic and thought to myself, "It doesn't matter what she looks at, judges, or "tsks" at. It's her problem, not mine. I'm lapping her @$$ anyway because all I've ever seen her do is sit on that outdoor couch."

I ran right past her house and she "Tsked" me and I didn't even care. I was doing my body good and she can just sit there and watch me be amazing.