"Totally Tall" Women of MFP (5'9" and up) Open Group

Options

Replies

• Misslillian123
    Misslillian123 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    5 9 and feel short now :) I love being taller but it does get a bit depressing when things don't fit properly..10 lbs weight loss and still the same dress size now if I was shorter I would have dropped a size or two and im not even that big.
  • never2bstopped
    never2bstopped Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    shannonbun wrote: »
    I'm, a 6ft guy and don't like tall girls......give me one that fits under my armpit anyday! ;)

well good for you cos i don't think any of us would want to be with a guy that superficial and ridiculous anyways :)

"dude she has everything in common with you!"
    'can i fit her under my armpit? cos like, that's mega important'

You said that much nicer than I was going to.
  • Altagracia220
    Altagracia220 Posts: 876 Member
    Options
    shannonbun wrote: »
    I'm, a 6ft guy and don't like tall girls......give me one that fits under my armpit anyday! ;)

well good for you cos i don't think any of us would want to be with a guy that superficial and ridiculous anyways :)

"dude she has everything in common with you!"
    'can i fit her under my armpit? cos like, that's mega important'

LMAO
  • SDB210
    SDB210 Posts: 100 Member
    Options

Gotta say, the last place I would want to be is under someone's smelly armpit. And when I'm with my 6'2 hubby , I can look in his eyes....not up his nostrils.

But hey... each to their own. :smile:
  • acorsaut89
    acorsaut89 Posts: 1,147 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I'm 5'9, 5'10ish. I wear a size 10 shoe and a size 16ish US. I say 16ish because as so many have pointed out the cut of clothes can take me anywhere from a 14 to an 18, and that's frustrating!

I have very broad shoulders though, and I'm by no means petite. I have a very hard time finding jackets and shirts. Also, I hate short shirts . . . I just can't stand them and I'm not all leg so sometimes it's really hard to find shirts that fit decently in length because I have a longer torso and proportionate length legs.

I was this tall when I was about 12 years old, so I played basketball and volleyball - no other teams had a 12 year old girl who could block the net like I could ;) It was a major advantage. But I also wasn't a thin 5'9 girl either. I've always been the Amazonian build and I feel like I will never get to smaller than about 200lbs. It wasn't easy being big at that point of my life because so many people associated being athletic with being tiny but I have thick legs, like thick legs and there's definitely power that comes from those legs. I'm very similar to my mom in build (thanks genetics!) and we're both naturally muscular, not bulky, just not petite. The composition of my legs has changed a huge amount but the size of them not so much. Maybe 5 inches smaller, MAYBE and they're still big. It's definitely frustrating to shop because my waist is getting smaller but my legs are still big and they're looking bigger in proportion to my waist. My butt is getting a lot more definition, so a lot more attention lol and I'm ok with that I just wish I could find a really good fitting pair of jeans some time.

I started at 340, currently at 260. I was at 250 but gained a bit from a separation last summer and the holidays. I actually hit 275 January 1 but I've knocked it down with some hard work. I also like that I don't look like I weigh 260. We did a thing at work - just a couple women - asking what they thought we weighed. I was really scared to do it because I've always been big and it's not fun for the big girl's weight to be out there. However, they each guessed like 220, 230. I was pretty happy that I can carry it as well as I do and none of them even thought I wore a size 16 clothing. It was a good day to be tall.

I'd like to hit 100lbs lost this year :D

Anyone feel free to add me . . . I love meeting women who have similar body shapes as I do and are facing similar issues. Makes it easier to relate to :)
  • acorsaut89
    acorsaut89 Posts: 1,147 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    My post posted twice, not sure why. So just updating this so it doesn't show twice. :|
  • RuthieMuffin
    RuthieMuffin Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    If any tall ladies are looking for low-maintenance friends, feel free to add me! It would be nice to connect with people who are going through the same thing!!

- Ruth
  • daniturkeysammie
    daniturkeysammie Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    5'10 want to drop 80 lbs, just started a week ago. Add me!!! I need tall friends that know the struggle
  • klilz_
    klilz_ Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    5'10 over here! Jeans are my ultimate struggle grrrrrr
  • DaneanP
    DaneanP Posts: 433 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Sleepless in Seattle's post made me remember something. Of all the guys I've dated - taller and shorter (mostly shorter), the tall guys always seemed to have the biggest problem with my height! It was like their ego just could not handle it. Most shorter guys I dated always seemed to love it and my hubby is a few inches shorter and it has never been an issue between us. He especially likes the slow dancing. ;)

Anyway, I've been out of the dating biz for a quarter century now, so I haven't really thought about it in awhile but wondered if any of you lovely ladies experienced the same thing?
  • AngeBee18
    AngeBee18 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    klilz_ wrote: »

Yup. Why do stores only stock petite and regular length jeans for women? Men usually get tall/long jeans, why not us?! Drives me crazy.
  • TheGoktor
    TheGoktor Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    5'10 want to drop 80 lbs, just started a week ago. Add me!!! I need tall friends that know the struggle

I'm the same as you - 5'10", need to lose 80lbs as well, although going for 60 to begin with. 25 down since January 12th, and while I notice the difference when out walking, for example, and can see that my tummy has got flatter, it's made no difference to my clothing size!
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    Ha! Ha! I hear that all the time, too. "You don't look that big!" Well, I am and finding clothes is a nightmare!! So there! I'm 5'10'' and at 96 kilos (209 lbs.) I wear a size 18/20 and feel disgusted by it. I've been skinny before and was so for quite a few years and well...we all know the story!

Looking forward to sharing!

I am also 5'10" and my scale is reading 96 kilos/211 pounds at the moment. I wear size 10S US in jeans, a size or two larger in dresses due to large breasts.

My feet are US size 9.5 and I have a 28" inseam...in other words, incredibly short legs/really long torso.

I've lost 89 pounds. My goal is a total of 110 pounds. I have serious health issues that make losing really hard...but I now weigh 30 pounds less than my doctors said would be possible, so I guess I am doing OK. Mostly I am just thrilled to maintain.
  • TheGoktor
    TheGoktor Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    AngeBee18 wrote: »
    klilz_ wrote: »

Yup. Why do stores only stock petite and regular length jeans for women? Men usually get tall/long jeans, why not us?! Drives me crazy.

In Britain, women's jeans come in petite, regular (28"/30" inside leg), tall (33") and in some cases, extra tall (36"), so I've never had a problem finding the right length (I'm 32"). Skirts and dresses, OTOH are ridiculous - maxi skirts, unless they are made for tall women, come to my mid-calf.

I lived in Thailand for a year and a half, and never once came across a pair of jeans that would have fit me beyond the age of eight years old! In fact, all the clothes in the shops were what in the West would be children's sizes. People are tiny in Thailand. And I felt like a giant!

The problem I've always had with jeans, even when I was a very slender UK 10/12 (US 10/12), is that the waist is far too large. I've always had a 12"-13" difference between waist and hips, so have always had to take waists in because jeans manufacturers make their garments with a 10" difference. C'est la vie!

Not Your Daughters Jeans, which are an American brand, are brilliant jeans, by the way. I have four pairs, and I've never found any better since I used to wear Vanderbilts back in the early '90s. At around £120, they're pretty expensive but worth every penny. I suspect they're cheaper in the US though - everything in the UK is expensive. There are some good sellers on Ebay who sell NYDJ seconds and discontinued lines, so it's worth having a look to see if you can pick up a bargain.

There's a UK brand called Wizard Jeans, which are basically a NYDJ rip-off; I've tried them, and am not a fan at all. Sizes run very small, and rather than being able to go down a size as with NYDJ, I had to go up two sizes, and even then, they were uncomfortably tight!
  • bustedsweetie
    bustedsweetie Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    DaneanP wrote: »
    Sleepless in Seattle's post made me remember something. Of all the guys I've dated - taller and shorter (mostly shorter), the tall guys always seemed to have the biggest problem with my height! It was like their ego just could not handle it. Most shorter guys I dated always seemed to love it and my hubby is a few inches shorter and it has never been an issue between us. He especially likes the slow dancing. ;)

Anyway, I've been out of the dating biz for a quarter century now, so I haven't really thought about it in awhile but wondered if any of you lovely ladies experienced the same thing?

Oh yes I have noticed that. I'm sure it's an ego thing.
  • mnnyc
    mnnyc Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'10.5" - I totally can relate to all the clothing and shoe issues!
    DaneanP wrote: »

Oh yes I have noticed that. I'm sure it's an ego thing.

I've noticed that a lot of shorter guys really like my height but unfortunately I generally like taller guys who seem to always like the tiniest girls! So frustrating haha. Last guy I dated was 6'3" but liked tall girls- he is an anomaly in my experience!
  • kdwest87
    kdwest87 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    5' 11" and 222lb. Goal is 165 so 57 lbs to go....
  • christch
    christch Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'10 and 150lb and trying to gain some muscle then lose skinny fat look. I find though when lifting weights that some lifts are harder than others because of long limbs especially squats. Do any of you have any ideas on how to get around these problems?
  • Igoligirl
    Igoligirl Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone! I thought I would start a thread for us "Totally Tall" women of MFP because I believe our journey to a healthier, more fit and slimmer us differs from our shorter counter parts.

For Example:

A 20lbs lost for us may not be a drastic change but for them they may be down 3 dress sizes :noway:

How can she be in a size 10 and I know I'm smaller than her but I'm wearing a size 14 :grumble:

It also differs in other areas as well :ohwell:

Those of us with slightly larger feet have to have a college fund in order to pay for a few pairs of decent shoes and finding jeans or other pants that aren't high waters is like searching for water in the Sahara Desert. :grumble:

No matter how unfair we may have thought or maybe still think it is at times :bigsmile: we deal. We take the cards we've been dealt and we push on!! :smile:

So ladies let us unite in all of our tallness. Use this thread to motivate each other, pass on tips, great deals...anything that relates to us and our way of living tall!

By the way I love the air up here and I wouldn't give up this view for the world!! :flowerforyou:

Thank you so much for starting this thread! I'm 5'10 and 250. Want to be back at my healthy 180 again :)
    Love to see all the tall ladies coming together :)