Personal Trainer & Weight Management Certified here to help!

Options

Replies

• FatMoojor
    FatMoojor Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    MommyL2015 wrote: »
    Not sure how a calorie can be full or empty. It's like fuel for your car. Some gas is better than others, sure, but both run your car. Over time, the higher quality gas will allow your car's engine to last longer than the cheaper stuff. There's no such thing as empty gas though.

A calorie is a calorie. The stuff you get those calories from makes a difference in the long run, but the calories get used just the same.

You can't really use the fuel analogy though. It would be more like 1 fuel gave your car petrol, oil and water for the engine and one fuel just gave it petrol. That's how the "empty calorie" term is being used.

Alcohol on nutrient basis gives little to nothing other than calories. If you ate the same number of calories in a chicken and broccoli you would get calories, protein and various vitamins. Going on that basis, alcohol is "empty" because the calories are not made up of any worthwhile components.

But that doesn't mean that alcohol in itself is worthless.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    FatMoojor wrote: »
    Not sure how a calorie can be full or empty. It's like fuel for your car. Some gas is better than others, sure, but both run your car. Over time, the higher quality gas will allow your car's engine to last longer than the cheaper stuff. There's no such thing as empty gas though.

A calorie is a calorie. The stuff you get those calories from makes a difference in the long run, but the calories get used just the same.

You can't really use the fuel analogy though. It would be more like 1 fuel gave your car petrol, oil and water for the engine and one fuel just gave it petrol. That's how the "empty calorie" term is being used.

Alcohol on nutrient basis gives little to nothing other than calories. If you ate the same number of calories in a chicken and broccoli you would get calories, protein and various vitamins. Going on that basis, alcohol is "empty" because the calories are not made up of any worthwhile components.

Now I've done the alcohol thing to death upthread (not in reality) and established that there are far greater benefits than nothing including just the giggles

you leave my wine alone :)
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    Options
    It also depends on the context. To many things like gummy bears would be conisdered worthless but to an endurance cycling or power lifter, they can be beneficial to restore glycogen quickly sinc they are mainly dextrose (fast absorbing sugar).
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »
    Merrysix wrote: »
    Sometimes I think that MFP is one of those organizations funded by Coca Cola (you know the message -- all about exercise, and just eating "right" amount of calories, doesn't matter what you eat.) Go for it I say -- just try eating crap to your calorie macro and see how you feel, and how much exercise you are motivated to do. I eat to my calories AND my macros. The combination keeps me health and feeling satisfied. When my macros get out of balance for ME then I have a hard time sticking to my food plan and calorie plan. (PS my macros are higher protein/lower carb, cause that's how I feel best and most motivated to stick to my calorie macros).

Then i would suggest that is how you interpret the information. If you want to look at semantics, yes you can lose on a diet of junk food (i.e twinkie diet) but no one ever would suggest that. Commonly we promote a diet full of variety, foods that are nutrient dense (probably 80 to 90% of them), finding a diet that is sustainable and if you have calories left over then go ahead and have a treat.

Personally, i was eating a klondike on a nightly basis, but decided to give it up once i really bumped up my lifting routine. I made this decision as i needed greater volume of food. So now i do grapes with cool whip. Same calories, both good (obviously klondike > grapes) but the volume is much greater on the grapes.

Since there are so many people that "misinterpret" your message, I would suggest to rethink your communication strategy.

("your" of course is not referred specifically to you, but in general to those that promote IIFYM/flexible dieting/moderation and are "misinterpreted")

If the greater you cant read past my first setence then its not an interpretation issue.. its a reading issue.

These are your moderators, @Alex

What's wrong with what i wrote? I wasnt insulting anyone. Common problems is people dont read the entire paragraph and they make assumptions.

That way i wrote my first statement is a perfect example of how i write. I provided a clear understanding of how people typically take responses and then i clarified the context of what is actually said.

The fact that you can't see "what's wrong" is part of the problem.

I've heard of this game!! It's so fun!!

If this were the normal version of the game, there'd be about 20% chance of psulemon being baited into at least a strike or warning.
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    jofjltncb6 wrote: »
    Sometimes I think that MFP is one of those organizations funded by Coca Cola (you know the message -- all about exercise, and just eating "right" amount of calories, doesn't matter what you eat.) Go for it I say -- just try eating crap to your calorie macro and see how you feel, and how much exercise you are motivated to do. I eat to my calories AND my macros. The combination keeps me health and feeling satisfied. When my macros get out of balance for ME then I have a hard time sticking to my food plan and calorie plan. (PS my macros are higher protein/lower carb, cause that's how I feel best and most motivated to stick to my calorie macros).

Then i would suggest that is how you interpret the information. If you want to look at semantics, yes you can lose on a diet of junk food (i.e twinkie diet) but no one ever would suggest that. Commonly we promote a diet full of variety, foods that are nutrient dense (probably 80 to 90% of them), finding a diet that is sustainable and if you have calories left over then go ahead and have a treat.

Personally, i was eating a klondike on a nightly basis, but decided to give it up once i really bumped up my lifting routine. I made this decision as i needed greater volume of food. So now i do grapes with cool whip. Same calories, both good (obviously klondike > grapes) but the volume is much greater on the grapes.

Since there are so many people that "misinterpret" your message, I would suggest to rethink your communication strategy.

("your" of course is not referred specifically to you, but in general to those that promote IIFYM/flexible dieting/moderation and are "misinterpreted")

If the greater you cant read past my first setence then its not an interpretation issue.. its a reading issue.

These are your moderators, @Alex

What's wrong with what i wrote? I wasnt insulting anyone. Common problems is people dont read the entire paragraph and they make assumptions.

That way i wrote my first statement is a perfect example of how i write. I provided a clear understanding of how people typically take responses and then i clarified the context of what is actually said.

The fact that you can't see "what's wrong" is part of the problem.

I've heard of this game!! It's so fun!!

If this were the normal version of the game, there'd be about 20% chance of psulemon being baited into at least a strike or warning.

I bet I could raise those odds with a few well-chosen words :)
  • FatMoojor
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »

Now I've done the alcohol thing to death upthread (not in reality) and established that there are far greater benefits than nothing including just the giggles

you leave my wine alone :)

Totally agree, which is why I said only on a nutrient basis it gives little to nothing :) A decent glass of quality red with a steak is a wonderful thing :)

I can also say, with 100% certainty that after a 100km run, there is no food in the word which would have compared the the ice cold beer I had at the finish line.
  • jofjltncb6
    Options
    _Terrapin_ wrote: »
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    125goals wrote: »
    How are we suppose to know who's actually right and who's wrong.

I need proof please... Post it! Thanks.
    You hang out, see who can back it up with science. You learn who you can trust. No one is infallible but there are some here that are darn close and if they say something that is incorrect it is usually minor. I trust @ninerbuff @rabbitjb @SLLRunner @usmcmp and many others here because they give great advice. Anyone who is newer, I always take a wait and see approach. There are others who have lots of posts, who are not as trustworthy, but they usually get called out. When someone calls someone else out, with science, it is the BEST!

Adding @SideSteel

Steve Troutman. . . .if I could I find the thread he had up over the winter I'd post it. . . .

@stroutman81 , I think.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options

What exactly makes you think the diet you describe leads to "feeling bad" and performing poorly athletically? I have a muffin for breakfast every week day and half a payday candy bar for a mid afternoon snack, and I'm probably fitter than you and definitely don't "feel bad". Eyes on your own lane
  • jofjltncb6
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    I guess it may sometimes be seen as bragging?? "I eat all the junk I can fit into my calories". Obviously not in those exact words, but that is how it sometimes comes across.
    Possibly. I get people that comment all the time that they can't believe I can eat pizza, fast food, and processed foods and not gain. But, then again they are only hearing about the junk food and not the other 80% of the time of nutritious eating.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

I think one of the challenges is you're a active in shape individual that burns a bunch of calories. You or someone like yourself can get proper nutrition (your macros and micros) eating 80% nutritious. For someone on a lower calorie diet, it's going to be much more difficult to get needed nutrition if 20% of say 1500 calories come from candy, cakes, chips, ice cream, etc.

Well I can hit my macro requirements in 1200 calories if I chose to. Leaving the 20% (300 calories) for chips (85 cals), Ice cream (90 cals), cookies (72 cals) because I choose the ones I like (eg Walkers pops / Quavers - Solero / Fab, McVities Rich Tea)

And it's not like the less nutritiously rich foods you mention don't help with hitting macros too

But it's about choice - there's no reason why people can't manage it - even if it's difficult - if they choose to / if it's important to their wellbeing

Yup this. Even with the 120 discretionary calories listed above. That's a glass of wine, a skinny cow ice cream bar, two squares of dark chocolate, half serving of chips and salsa.., It really is all about choices. It can be done, and with more activity/planning, it can be done often.

It seems that in addition to assuming that someone saying they eat "treats" that they are eating a vast amount of their calories in those treats, people also assume that if you can't eat massive amounts of those treats then it's not worth eating any of them.

I suspect the reason some people interpret it as all or none is because that's how *they* see things. They can't imagine being able to eat certain foods at an amount that fits within heir calorie constraints, so no one else could possibly be able to.

It's similar to the "you wouldn't say things like that if you weren't hiding behind a keyboard." While that *may* be true in that case, I have an even greater degree of certainty that it is true for *the person saying that*. It's a reflection of their own personal ethos that they assume apply to all others.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    I guess it may sometimes be seen as bragging?? "I eat all the junk I can fit into my calories". Obviously not in those exact words, but that is how it sometimes comes across.
    Possibly. I get people that comment all the time that they can't believe I can eat pizza, fast food, and processed foods and not gain. But, then again they are only hearing about the junk food and not the other 80% of the time of nutritious eating.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

I think one of the challenges is you're a active in shape individual that burns a bunch of calories. You or someone like yourself can get proper nutrition (your macros and micros) eating 80% nutritious. For someone on a lower calorie diet, it's going to be much more difficult to get needed nutrition if 20% of say 1500 calories come from candy, cakes, chips, ice cream, etc.

Well I can hit my macro requirements in 1200 calories if I chose to. Leaving the 20% (300 calories) for chips (85 cals), Ice cream (90 cals), cookies (72 cals) because I choose the ones I like (eg Walkers pops / Quavers - Solero / Fab, McVities Rich Tea)

And it's not like the less nutritiously rich foods you mention don't help with hitting macros too

But it's about choice - there's no reason why people can't manage it - even if it's difficult - if they choose to / if it's important to their wellbeing

Take a 1200 calorie a day diet to a registered dietician where 20% of the calories are from nutritionally less dense food (chips, cookies, candy, cake, etc) and get their thoughts .

• FatMoojor
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Take a 1200 calorie diet to a registered dietician where 20% of the calories are from nutritionally less dense food (chips, cookies, candy, cake, etc) and get their thoughts .

Why would their thoughts matter? If you are hitting your macro requirements, it doesn't mater how your intake is made up.
  • Sued0nim
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Take a 1200 calorie a day diet to a registered dietician where 20% of the calories are from nutritionally less dense food (chips, cookies, candy, cake, etc) and get their thoughts .

Why?

Do you think I'm too ignorant to know that I'm hitting my macro and micro targets?

Do you think I'm unaware of my current state of health?

Anyway I worked that out on 1500 you specified which was a calorie allowance I used to have not on 1200

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Take a 1200 calorie diet to a registered dietician where 20% of the calories are from nutritionally less dense food (chips, cookies, candy, cake, etc) and get their thoughts .

Why would their thoughts matter? If you are hitting your macro requirements, it doesn't mater how your intake is made up.

Ahhh what he said
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,261 Member
    Options

Yep i reckon alot of these guys posting are being paid to advertise coco cola and mcdonalds when i think about it.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Well, macros, micros and sufficient variety. Oh, and low nitrates, low trans fats, not too much iron, mix your vegetables (not too much kale or broccoli)....

Yeah, it doesn't matter. :sick:
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    JaneiR36 wrote: »

What exactly makes you think the diet you describe leads to "feeling bad" and performing poorly athletically? I have a muffin for breakfast every week day and half a payday candy bar for a mid afternoon snack, and I'm probably fitter than you and definitely don't "feel bad". Eyes on your own lane

Eek. Based on her profile pic, Merrysix looks to be an unusually fit 61 year old. Kudos Merrysix! Perhaps you are unusually fit for your age too, JaneiR36, but I have to say "probably fitter than you" seemed unnecessary to make your point.

If one's calorie goal is only 1200 calories, it's tough to meet your micro nutrient targets in only 80% of those calories. Theoretically possible of course, but much more difficult than with a higher goal. I might argue though, that 1200 calorie diets are rarely a good idea for any length of time (unless you are quite short I guess).

• Sued0nim
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Well, macros, micros and sufficient variety. Oh, and low nitrates, low trans fats, not too much iron, mix your vegetables (not too much kale or broccoli)....

are you saying it does matter or it doesn't - my filter is off

• auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

I'm not sure, but I feel that the appropriate face was made after use of the word "kale"...
  • Gianfranco_R
    Gianfranco_R Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

so what is your thought on this statement @psulemon ?
    does it fit with your 80/20 rule, or it is just me struggling again with reading comprehension?
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

I'm saying intake matters - it isn't just macros.
    One of the great ironies of trying to get healthy are those people that decide to go all natural and end up eating too much monolithic foods:

too much carrots -- make you ill
    too much kale and broccoli -- make you ill
    too much vitamins - I think you get where this is going

A phrase like "If you are hitting your macro requirements, it doesn't mater (sic) how your intake is made up." is wrong. Dietary composition matters, what doesn't matter is dat der donut or dat der sushi. Total composition matters, single items do not.

There is a difference in context.
  • Nickers5405
    Nickers5405 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    12 hours later and the same people are still having the same argument. No one else is keeping track of this thread since they'd have to go back and read 10 pages of "Prove it. Prove it. Prove it."

I think it's safe to say this "empty calories" subjects has been beaten to death and both sides provided great arguments.

It's a shame no new MFP members would get a chance to benefit from the original post.