ndj1979 wrote: »
    emhunter wrote: »
    I agree that pointing out the pros and cons of a "cleanse" and establishing realistic expectations is necessary. However, you can do that without imposing our beliefs or opinions on grown adults. Yes you will likely lose a lot of water from cleanses but this is the same as when one starts eating at a deficit and working out. Drinking smoothies does not mean you aren't getting 1200 cals. That can be done. You won't die from it. There's no harm if someone choses to try a "cleanse" to start their weight loss journey. Whether one thinks cleanses are helpful or marketing schemes is not important. If someone wants to "jumpstart" their journey with it, it doesn't matter as long as they have realistic expectations.

There are no pros to cleansing because there is no such thing..

It's like trying to discuss the pros and cons of being beamed aboard to the star ship enterprise...

I won't debate whether there is a thing called a cleanse. The point remains that whatever the user calls a cleanse has pros and cons. Pros being that for some it could cause them to start on a weight loss journey.

you can't debate it because it is non debatable..

again, you can't debate something that does not exist….

It's not about whether a cleanse exist. That's why I am not debating it. There are pros to successfully doing what some may call a gimmick.

please list the pros of doing something that does not exist...

Whether you call it a cleanse or not DOES NOT MATTER. What matters is doing the thing the OP calls a cleanse, exist. That is drinking her green smoothies. That has pros. Not eating burgers and fries all day, starting to reduce calories, thinking about doing something to lose weight by consuming less than they expend.

Ok, so believing in a theoretical cleanse and not understanding that weight loss is about CICO is the benefit? All that is going to do is set OP for yo-yo dieting as OP will not understand what weight loss is about.

You're assuming that the OP doesn't understand CICO. If realistic expectations about what they are doing are established, they are doing it in a healthy way, and they have weighed their pros and cons, it's not setting the person up for yo-yo. Some people are motivated and encouraged by seeing the scale move even if it's mostly water. Some people find it easier to follow a plan for a few days then to simply eat less and move more. People are individuals and what works for some doesn't work for others. Everyone can't approach life the same way. Everyone can't approach weight loss the same way. What motivates people is highly individualized. If the OP is educated about what she is doing and being healthy, then no, there is nothing wrong with consuming smoothies for 10 days.

I know that OP does not understand CICO because she thinks a cleanse will jumpstart weight loss, which it won't. What happens on day 10 when OP goes back to eating regular food and gains back the five pounds in water weight that she just lost? let me guess she will do another "cleanse" and lose five to ten pounds and then gain it back when she stops, hence the yo-yo dieting begins.

So your position is that we should just encourage ignorance, because it may help OP lose weight in the short term…?

You don't know that. Your post is full of assumptions. Losing weight even if water is a start to weight loss. Arguing over what term to call it is futile.

In addition, you are assuming the plan is to go right back to eating unhealthy after 10 days. You're assuming she will go back to eating poorly. If she starts eating sensibly after the 10 days she will not gain all she lost back.

I've never said to encourage ignorance. EVER. I said I'd be happy to share my info with the OP. I also said that others should share their info. What I agreed with is that if it gets the OP started on their journey, they are doing it in a healthy manner, they have realistic expectations, and have weighed their pros and cons of their method then go for it.

by failing to correct OP's false assumption that a cleanse is necessary to jump start weight loss, you are in fact encouraging ignorance.

and the majority of your posts are full of assumptions as well.

The fact is that OP does not have a basic understanding of weight loss because she thinks that it is (1) necessary to detox her body through a cleanse and (2) that said cleanse will jump start her weight loss. Those are facts not assumptions, and based off of those facts, OP does not have an understanding of basic human physiology or weight loss in general.

I didn't see where the OP thinks cleanses are necessary. It's what she wants to do and feels helps her. Please point out where she said it is necessary.

Also tell me where I have an assumption.

Even if she thinks it's necessary that does not mean she doesn't understand weight loss. Some people need that motivation to start eating at a deficit. And losing weight is a start to the weight loss journey. That does not mean she doesn't understand weight loss because she calls it a jump start.

But none of this matters...i will say here and now OP not everyone needs to "cleanse" or drink smoothies or do any of these tricks/gimmicks to lose weight. You could lose without them. In addition they won't help you if you go back to eating more than you expend. You also don't want to starve yourself. Make sure while you are drinking your smoothies you are getting enough calories.

I don't like to assume that the OP doesn't know these things already. She may. She may not.

But I still say if the OP knows all of this, then she should go for it because it could very well be the start of a long successful weight loss journey.

This post is so full of assumptions, don't know where to begin.
  • emhunter
    emhunter Posts: 1,212 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options

Hmm ok. I'll wait for the someone to point out assumptions I've made in this post.
  • emhunter
    Options
    @queenliz99 im not sure if you are using the term assumption correctly. There were none in my last post.
  • emhunter
    Options
    Green smoothies are amazing. I have about 5 a week and I've not been sick in sooo long and my skin is great! Good luck.

Yes I like them too :)
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    @queenliz99 im not sure if you are using the term assumption correctly. There were none in my last post.

You like to obfuscate then.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

Hmm ok. I'll wait for the someone to point out assumptions I've made in this post.

you are assuming that OP knows about weight loss and that this cleanse will have benefits….
  • emhunter
    Options

you are assuming that OP knows about weight loss and that this cleanse will have benefits….

Nope not assuming she does. Just not assuming she doesn't so won't say what I believe to be basic info if not asked. That's not an assumption.

There are benefits to drinking green smoothies for 10 days. I've stated some of them above. Whether the pros outweigh the cons is a cost benefit analysis that every individual has to make for themselves. Some will find that the pros outweigh the cons and vice versa. You thinking the benefits of drinking green smoothies are small trivial or insignificant does not mean that the benefits don't exist. There's no assumption. Again, you are using the term assumption incorrectly if you don't see that.
  • ndj1979
    Options

Nope not assuming she does. Just not assuming she doesn't so won't say what I believe to be basic info if not asked. That's not an assumption.

There are benefits to drinking green smoothies for 10 days. I've stated some of them above. Whether the pros outweigh the cons is a cost benefit analysis that every individual has to make for themselves. Some will find that the pros outweigh the cons and vice versa. You thinking the benefits of drinking green smoothies are small trivial or insignificant does not mean that the benefits don't exist. There's no assumption. Again, you are using the term assumption incorrectly if you don't see that.

if you think that you are not assuming then I don't know where to go with this..

Please list peer reviewed sources on the benefits of green smoothies…

• emhunter
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »

You like obfuscate then.

Quite ironic you say that when you are the one that's doing it. You went on and on about my posts being full of assumptions then you said well maybe it's "like obfuscate." I don't know. Sounds like all signs point to you...
  • booksandchocolate12
    booksandchocolate12 Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    Drinking smoothies does not mean you are getting 1200 cals. You could die from not getting enough calories. There could be harm.

True. No one ever said that people couldn't do harmful things while drinking smoothies. My point is that drinking smoothies can be done without "starving" and therefor to automatically dismiss them as an option for SOME people to start their weight loss goals is over broad and unnecessary.

And to automatically support & encourage them is dangerous.

Agreed!

It would be terrible if someone posted about how they were going to do [insert name of diet fad here] and someone said something like, "I've never heard of it, but I support you! Good luck".

Glad we NEVER see anything like that around here! :wink:
  • queenliz99
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »

You like obfuscate then.

Quite ironic you say that when you are the one that's doing it. You went on and on about my posts being full of assumptions then you said well maybe it's "like obfuscate." I don't know. Sounds like all signs point to you...

I'm not doing any such thing. I stated facts and you twisted the facts. Your tactics are to obfuscate and act coy. That is your MO.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    I agree that pointing out the pros and cons of a "cleanse" and establishing realistic expectations is necessary. However, you can do that without imposing our beliefs or opinions on grown adults. Yes you will likely lose a lot of water from cleanses but this is the same as when one starts eating at a deficit and working out. Drinking smoothies does not mean you aren't getting 1200 cals. That can be done. You won't die from it. There's no harm if someone choses to try a "cleanse" to start their weight loss journey. Whether one thinks cleanses are helpful or marketing schemes is not important. If someone wants to "jumpstart" their journey with it, it doesn't matter as long as they have realistic expectations.

It's like trying to discuss the pros and cons of being beamed aboard to the star ship enterprise...

I won't debate whether there is a thing called a cleanse. The point remains that whatever the user calls a cleanse has pros and cons. Pros being that for some it could cause them to start on a weight loss journey.

It's not about whether a cleanse exist. That's why I am not debating it. There are pros to successfully doing what some may call a gimmick.

Whether you call it a cleanse or not DOES NOT MATTER. What matters is doing the thing the OP calls a cleanse, exist. That is drinking her green smoothies. That has pros. Not eating burgers and fries all day, starting to reduce calories, thinking about doing something to lose weight by consuming less than they expend.

Ok, so believing in a theoretical cleanse and not understanding that weight loss is about CICO is the benefit? All that is going to do is set OP for yo-yo dieting as OP will not understand what weight loss is about.

You're assuming that the OP doesn't understand CICO. If realistic expectations about what they are doing are established, they are doing it in a healthy way, and they have weighed their pros and cons, it's not setting the person up for yo-yo. Some people are motivated and encouraged by seeing the scale move even if it's mostly water. Some people find it easier to follow a plan for a few days then to simply eat less and move more. People are individuals and what works for some doesn't work for others. Everyone can't approach life the same way. Everyone can't approach weight loss the same way. What motivates people is highly individualized. If the OP is educated about what she is doing and being healthy, then no, there is nothing wrong with consuming smoothies for 10 days.

you are assuming that OP will be motivated by a scale drop…and you are assuming that a ten day smoothie cleanse will set OP up for long term weight loss.
  • emhunter
    Options

if you think that you are not assuming then I don't know where to go with this..

You aren't using the word assumption correctly.

I don't need a peer reviewed article to tell me that drinking smoothies have benefits! Lol. The benefits are that you aren't eating high calorie high cholesterol junk all day. You have started trying to watch what you eat. That is a benefit. I didn't say the smoothie will make your metabolism speed up or you will change your eye color.
  • ndj1979
    Options

I don't need a peer reviewed article to tell me that drinking smoothies have benefits! Lol. The benefits are that you aren't eating high calorie high cholesterol junk all day. You have started trying to watch what you eat. That is a benefit. I didn't say the smoothie will make your metabolism speed up or you will change your eye color.

so those that don't drink smoothies are automatically eating high calorie, cholesterol filled junk all day???

nice assumption ...
  • queenliz99
    Options

Obfuscate yet again.
  • emhunter
    edited November 2015
    Options

you are assuming that OP will be motivated by a scale drop…and you are assuming that a ten day smoothie cleanse will set OP up for long term weight loss.

Nope I'm not. Did not say it's a fact that she will be motivated. I've said some people are motivated by a scale drop and it sets some people up for long term weight loss so accordingly she should go for it and see if it works for her, provided she understands what she is doing and how weight loss works.

Had I said she will DEFINITELY be motivated and DEFINITELY keep it off then I'd be assuming. Never said that.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options

Much more likely that the initial water weight loss will be motivating, but then the regain when beginning real food will demotivate, leading to the belief that the only way to lose weight is to extend the 'smoothie cleanse' for a longer period of time. 'But this time, I'll make better choices when I start eating again'

Of course, no one ever does that. :frowning:
  • ndj1979
    Options

Nope I'm not. Did not say it's a fact that she will be motivated. I've said some people are motivated by a scale deand accordingly she should go for it provided she understands what she is doing and how weight loss works.

yes, which is an assumption on your part.
  • ndj1979
    Options

Nope I'm not. Did not say it's a fact that she will be motivated. I've said some people are motivated by a scale drop and it sets some people up for long term weight loss so accordingly she should go for it and see if it works for her, provided she understands what she is doing and how weight loss works.

Had I said she will DEFINITELY be motivated and DEFINITELY keep it off then I'd be assuming. Never said that.

just putting this out here and will let other judge if you are assuming or not…

Assumption
    noun
    something taken for granted; a supposition:
    a correct assumption.
    Synonyms: presupposition; hypothesis, conjecture, guess, postulate, theory.
    the act of taking for granted or supposing.
    Synonyms: presumption; presupposition.
    the act of taking to or upon oneself.
    Synonyms: acceptance, shouldering.
    the act of taking possession of something:
    the assumption of power.
    Synonyms: seizure, appropriation, usurpation, arrogation.
    arrogance; presumption.
    Synonyms: presumptuousness; effrontery, forwardness, gall.
    the taking over of another's debts or obligations.
    Ecclesiastical.
    (often initial capital letter) the bodily taking up into heaven of the Virgin Mary.
    (initial capital letter) a feast commemorating this, celebrated on August 15.
  • MondayJune22nd2015
    MondayJune22nd2015 Posts: 876 Member
    Options
    Green smoothies are amazing. I have about 5 a week and I've not been sick in sooo long and my skin is great! Good luck.

From my understanding, the OP isn't aiming to consume just 1 and/or 2 a day but only smoothies, for 10 entire days.
This discussion has been closed.