What nobody tells you about losing weight

Options

Replies

• grinning_chick
    grinning_chick Posts: 765 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    nuffer wrote: »
    I now have a drawer of ridiculously large t-shirts from events I've done in the past. I don't want to get rid of them because I had fun at those,

My friend cut squares of all her event shirts and made a quilt of them... if you are the crafty type or know someone who is...

Edit: Never mind. Originally posted the same comment, then saw someone beat me to it. Should've kept reading. XD
  • kettlebells_and_cupcakes
    Options
    I love this thread!

Actually looking forward to working out which I never used to when I was bigger...including going jogging in the street.

Wearing sleeveless tops and vests without worrying about how my arms look.... And also finding shaving my pits really hard work now they are so concave ha ha!

Waking up every day and having some muscle group somewhere feeling sore, just to remind you of your previous day's workout.

Like others on here have said about the wide range of comments (or none at all!) from family and friends/colleagues.

There's just a few! I could easily go on x
  • charmmeth
    charmmeth Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    I now have a drawer of ridiculously large t-shirts from events I've done in the past. I don't want to get rid of them because I had fun at those, but when I put them on, I look like a hobo that robbed a thrift store and ended up with a night shirt.

(this message is not making fun of hobos, or thrift stores, both of which I favor)

I use my over-large t-shirts as nightshirts, as it happens. :)

• BigAnnieG
    BigAnnieG Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    How, when you're over 6ft, it takes more than a few pounds for anyone to notice. I lost 13st a few years back, and it wasn't until over 4st lost that anyone (even my then significant other) noticed. There's a lot more surface area for fat to drop from!

On the plus side, when the scales tip up again after a bad week...nobody notices an extra pound or two :)

It does make me envy short people though - 15lbs on a tiny person is a big difference, 15lbs on me is barely one dress size! (After 13st, I had gone from a 32 to a 20, so only 7 sizes!)

How it affects the other parts of your life when you realise you can reach ambitions. You get more organised and start believing in yourself more. That's a lovely feeling :)

(Disclaimer: still have about 5st to go...but I stick to the above as my experiences so far!)
  • sisxena
    sisxena Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    - how vain you will become! I can't walk past a mirror without checking how I look nowadays!

I have not lost a lot, but my face is different... I am overdosing on selfies...
    and today a colleague told me, when I am going to throw away all the clothes that don't fit me anymore...

• sisxena
    sisxena Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    this thread is old, but I discovered it at the right time, I needed it.... Thanks a million
  • BigAnnieG
    BigAnnieG Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    When you have a full-time job, in theory it should be easy if you plan ahead and get into pack-ups at lunch and diarising workouts but...

That your workplace can seem to encourage fitness but only on their terms. We have company FitBits with challenges - not helpful when you're a swimmer - and a subsidised gym without a pool despite the nearby leisure centre with a pool being cheaper and better - again not helpful when you're a swimmer! They also have free fruit to hand, but then have loads of bread options too. Those are picky things though - it's more the way they try to drive a healthy attitude but cause a fuss when you say you can't make a morning meeting (2 hours before work is supposed to start) because you have a gym appointment (or that you want to leave on time for the same). Makes it hard to keep your own commitments when you have a full-time job!
  • GBrady43068
    GBrady43068 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    VeryKatie wrote: »
    rhianna818 wrote: »
    kuwick1230 wrote: »
    That moment when you pull out your drivers license and realize that for the first time in years you actually weigh less than what's printed on the card!!

They put your weight on your licence really that bloody invasive

They don't put your weight on your licence? Where are you from? I'm Canadian, and that's standard. No sarcasm intended, just curious?

TX here. And no weight listed. But I did live in Louisiana and they put it on there.

Weight on your license is not standard in Canada. It's a provincial decision. Manitoba doesn't do it.

Had someone at the DMV ask if I was sick (I think he thought he had cancer or something) because of the drop from the previous license compared to the updated one. OH here. :p
  • im_simply_karen
    im_simply_karen Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I've only lost 1stone 7lb but...
    •how your appetite changes drastically
    •how good healthy foods can taste
    •that sweets are ok as long as they are in moderation
    •that you look forward to continuing on your meal plan once you start to see tiny results
  • Syneea
    Syneea Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    That your hubby can start feeling a bit threatened by your changes.. (You are Looking good... Always working out... Becoming an aerobics instructor, etc) and while still being overall supportive of you, he may still make a few comments that sounds as if he feels threatened by your changes!! NOT that you've given him any reason to be because you love him and your life with all of your heart and would never jeopardize it...you talk it over with him though and reassure him of your continued commitment and love. Lol
  • IILikeToMoveItMoveIt
    IILikeToMoveItMoveIt Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    ekahnicole wrote: »
    you end up looking forward to having a really good poop.

Yes! lol
  • sadie1164
    sadie1164 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I am surprised I eat more food while losing weight than I did while gaining. Its all about the choices.
    kgb6days wrote: »
    How cold you get without a thick pad of insulation

That's the realest! I'm cold all the time now!!
    Things I'm loving:
    - Being my lowest adult weight. Ever.
    - My teeny tiny waist
    - The extra energy I have now
    - Treating my body with the due care and respect it's always deserved

Things I wasn't prepared for:
    - Family/friends saying they want to also lose weight and then in the same breath start making excuses for why they can't.
    - How long it would take for my brain to catch up with my body. I've lost 2 st and 2 dress sizes in the last year and even though I know that I'm so much smaller and I can see the huge difference, even now when someone compliments me, calls me pretty, or straight-up hits on me, a part of me doesn't believe they could be genuine. It's like I keep forgetting I'm not overweight anymore.

I wonder if my brain will ever catch up with my body...Not seeing what people are saying.
  • kar328
    kar328 Posts: 4,149 Member
    Options
    sadie1164 wrote: »
    I am surprised I eat more food while losing weight than I did while gaining. Its all about the choices.

Things I'm loving:
    - My teeny tiny waist

- Family/friends saying they want to also lose weight and then in the same breath start making excuses for why they can't.
    - How long it would take for my brain to catch up with my body. I've lost 2 st and 2 dress sizes in the last year and even though I know that I'm so much smaller and I can see the huge difference, even now when someone compliments me, calls me pretty, or straight-up hits on me, a part of me doesn't believe they could be genuine. It's like I keep forgetting I'm not overweight anymore.

I wonder if my brain will ever catch up with my body...Not seeing what people are saying.

I didn't see it either, until I printed out two face pictures, one two months before I started this, and one at the fifty pound loss mark, then laid them side by side. Only then was I able to see it.
  • unrelentingminx
    unrelentingminx Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    kar328 wrote: »

Things I'm loving:
    - My teeny tiny waist

I didn't see it either, until I printed out two face pictures, one two months before I started this, and one at the fifty pound loss mark, then laid them side by side. Only then was I able to see it.

When I started my weight loss journey last year I neglected to take some 'before' photos to allow that direct comparison. Now I am fairly happy with my general size and weight so have changed to maintenance and recomposition so I have made sure to take new 'before' photos as any further changes will be much smaller.
  • middy1959
    middy1959 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    cblue315 wrote: »
    How uncomfortable my bed really is. After loosing 100 pounds I had to buy a new mattress. I no longer had the padding around my hips.

Both me & the husband have been using this app since April. Between us we have lost 5 stone & it's staying off. We both found it helpful to get a memory foam topper for the bed to enable us to be more comfortable now the fat cushioning has gone. :D
  • sadie1164
    sadie1164 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    kar328 wrote: »

Things I'm loving:
    - My teeny tiny waist

I have before and now pictures and still doesn't seem real..
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    I now have a drawer of ridiculously large t-shirts from events I've done in the past. I don't want to get rid of them because I had fun at those, but when I put them on, I look like a hobo that robbed a thrift store and ended up with a night shirt.

(this message is not making fun of hobos, or thrift stores, both of which I favor)

I've seen people make quilts and stuff out of cool T shirts they can't wear anymore.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!