HALP! Heavy Lifting Made Me SUPAH Bulky!!!

Options

Replies

• Gwen_44
    Gwen_44 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! You look great!!
  • summerdaze120
    summerdaze120 Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    Love this thread!
  • BodyByBex
    BodyByBex Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • laurenisfitforlife
    laurenisfitforlife Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Lift on my friend, lift on!
  • BettyDares
    BettyDares Posts: 1,498 Member
    Options
    psych101 wrote: »
    Arms progress - day one of stronglifts, compared to almost one year later!!

ntgmqjij2s3f.jpeg

And I have no idea if I've put this one in here but stomach from day one of NROLFW which I completed then one year of stronglifts

g049n6mxk62b.jpeg

And baby abs slowly emerging in my profile pic

I'm a huge advocate for women lifting. It will make you bulky....but in all the right places lol

Ummm... freaking amazing!!! You are my new inspiration.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    katedevall wrote: »
    This about 60 days difference. I lost around 8 pounds. I just Jamie Eason's LiveFit Program.

dygu3srtg4ii.jpg

Is EIGHT pounds a typo?!? It looks more like 40! You look AWESOME!
  • katedevall
    katedevall Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    This about 60 days difference. I lost around 8 pounds. I just Jamie Eason's LiveFit Program.

dygu3srtg4ii.jpg

LOL! No 8 pounds is correct. I lost a lot of my body fat, gained a lot of muscle. :smile:
  • LadyKT
    LadyKT Posts: 287 Member
    Options

dygu3srtg4ii.jpg

LOL! No 8 pounds is correct. I lost a lot of my body fat, gained a lot of muscle. :smile:

Wow 8lbs is the first and last pic?? I thought it was middle and last!
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options

dygu3srtg4ii.jpg

Amazing! Good job!
  • bsbprincess
    bsbprincess Posts: 161 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    This thread... wow. I see such amazing changes. I can't afford the gym for at least a few months :/ I wish I could "lift heavy" at home... I've heard about Stronglifts... I wonder though, will I know what to do with that app at the gym? Or do I need additional info before I start? I don't want injuries from lifting heavy and doing it wrong.

Also, would any of you consider You Are Your Own Gym to be a good start or are they totally different? I know how to follow workout videos.. this whole lift heavy thing is a new beast for me and I feel like a lost child looking around. Anyone wanna help this girl out? :D I wanna look amazing tooooo
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    This thread... wow. I see such amazing changes. I can't afford the gym for at least a few months :/ I wish I could "lift heavy" at home... I've heard about Stronglifts... I wonder though, will I know what to do with that app at the gym? Or do I need additional info before I start? I don't want injuries from lifting heavy and doing it wrong.

Also, would any of you consider You Are Your Own Gym to be a good start or are they totally different? I know how to follow workout videos.. this whole lift heavy thing is a new beast for me and I feel like a lost child looking around. Anyone wanna help this girl out? :D I wanna look amazing tooooo

If you don't have access to a gym, YAYOG is a great place to start! There isn't only one way to do progressive resistance.
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,118 Member
    Options

I was doing body weight exercises at first but didn't see results until I started SL. I saw dramatic results immediately. I also got my own equipment off of craigslist. I lift at home. There are videos on the app for form and if you follow the app exactly you will get your form correct. Look in a mirror. There are a lot of form videos on google and utube.
  • bsbprincess
    Options
    Thank you, auddii! I'm feeling so inspired by this thread
  • bsbprincess
    Options
    fanncy0626 wrote: »

I was doing body weight exercises at first but didn't see results until I started SL. I saw dramatic results immediately. I also got my own equipment off of craigslist. I lift at home. There are videos on the app for form and if you follow the app exactly you will get your form correct. Look in a mirror. There are a lot of form videos on google and utube.

Your photos really stood out to me. You did this work at home?? May I ask exactly what equipment you bought/used? Please forgive me, this is all really new to me... So I really wouldn't know much about what is required. I would LOVE to be able to lift heavy at home. I just need to know what exactly I need. Like, for example, to do stronglifts

• fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,118 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options

Your photos really stood out to me. You did this work at home?? May I ask exactly what equipment you bought/used? Please forgive me, this is all really new to me... So I really wouldn't know much about what is required. I would LOVE to be able to lift heavy at home. I just need to know what exactly I need. Like, for example, to do stronglifts

I bought a squat rack a Olympic barbell, and the weights that went with it. 2-45 pound plates, 2-35 pound plates, 2-25 pound plates, 2-10 pound plates, 4-5 pound plates, 2-2.5 pound weights, and a bench. I started with a 12.5 pound barbell. My emphasis is on form. I have been doing this since March 2015. I have went from the 12.5 pound bar up to 120 pounds on squats, 150 pounds on dead lift, 80 pound benchpress, 85 pounds on barbell row, and 55 pounds on overhead press. I lift by myself without a spotter. I have learned and practiced the roll of shame. Because of my age and back issues I work on lifting with perfect form and then add more weight. By doing it this way I do not fear not being able to complete a lift. In case of emergency when I am performing squats I do not put the clasps on in case I would have to dump the plate onto the floor. I do not for see that ever happening. I also use my ankle and wrist weights to increase weight by 1 pound instead of 5 pounds. Friend me and we can become lifting buddies! Also join the strong lifts 5X5 for women group
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/4601-stronglifts-5x5-for-women
    or the strength training for women group.
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/771-women-strength-training
    I am 58 years old and I belong to the women over 50's January thread as well.
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10304625/women-ages-50-for-january-2016#latest
    I am not sure of your age but I find a lot of motivation and support there. There are a few of us that are joining the BLC Group for the January through March challenge.
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/23818-biggest-loser-team-challenge
    Good luck to you!
  • bsbprincess
    Options

I bought a squat rack a Olympic barbell, and the weights that went with it. 2-45 pound plates, 2-35 pound plates, 2-25 pound plates, 2-10 pound plates, 4-5 pound plates, 2-2.5 pound weights, and a bench. I started with a 12.5 pound barbell. My emphasis is on form. I have been doing this since March 2015. I have went from the 12.5 pound bar up to 120 pounds on squats, 150 pounds on dead lift, 80 pound benchpress, 85 pounds on barbell row, and 55 pounds on overhead press. I lift by myself without a spotter. I have learned and practiced the roll of shame. Because of my age and back issues I work on lifting with perfect form and then add more weight. By doing it this way I do not fear not being able to complete a lift. In case of emergency when I am performing squats I do not put the clasps on in case I would have to dump the plate onto the floor. I do not for see that ever happening. I also use my ankle and wrist weights to increase weight by 1 pound instead of 5 pounds. Friend me and we can become lifting buddies! Also join the strong lifts 5X5 for women group
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/4601-stronglifts-5x5-for-women
    or the strength training for women group.
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/771-women-strength-training
    I am 58 years old and I belong to the women over 50's January thread as well.
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10304625/women-ages-50-for-january-2016#latest
    I am not sure of your age but I find a lot of motivation and support there. There are a few of us that are joining the BLC Group for the January through March challenge.
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/23818-biggest-loser-team-challenge
    Good luck to you!

Thank you!! I'll look at those threads. For now I can't start lifting right away, but I can still build up some muscle, with jillian michaels videos and YAYOG which I plan on getting. I just don't have the money for gym or equipment yet :/ I friended you though, and I would love to get started once I can. I think I'll be able to get to a gym in March, and eventually I'd love equipment in the house.

I'll also check out those posts. Thanks so much for your answer :)
  • bsbprincess
    Options

60 days???!?!?! woooowza

• scrittrice
    scrittrice Posts: 345 Member
    Options

This has been very helpful for many of us:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/902569/barbell-routines-when-you-only-have-dumbbells/p1
  • Bambalina22
    Bambalina22 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    BurtHuttz wrote: »
    I second the This! Compound moves make a big difference and will get you to where you want to be more efficiently IMO.

My profile has some befores and afters but not great ones. I owe all of my changes to a healthy diet and lifting!

Work your whole body!
    BBFullSquat.gifBBDeadlift.gifBBMilitaryPressBentLeg.gif

I needed to see this! One question when do you increase weight? So far I can only manage about 10kg on barbell?

Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!