Need to Lose 100 LBS -Robins Thread !

Options

Replies

• zcb94
    zcb94 Posts: 3,679 Member
    Options
    Nikion901 wrote: »
    zcb94 wrote: »
    @kah68, I'm from Ransom Canyon (small town between Lubbock and Slaton). I'm not sure what the exact temperature is, but BRRR! Winters here are kinda brutal. :s

As I'm sitting here on the computer, I looked it up for you Zoe ... 45 degrees.
    You are going to have 76 on Saturday ... and everyday until then will be about 13 degrees warmer than right now until you get there!~

Enjoy your heat wave!
    Thanks! Until I get where, pray tell? :confused:
  • Nikion901
    Nikion901 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    Nikion901 wrote: »
    @kah68, I'm from Ransom Canyon (small town between Lubbock and Slaton). I'm not sure what the exact temperature is, but BRRR! Winters here are kinda brutal. :s

As I'm sitting here on the computer, I looked it up for you Zoe ... 45 degrees.
    You are going to have 76 on Saturday ... and everyday until then will be about 13 degrees warmer than right now until you get there!~

Enjoy your heat wave!
    Thanks! Until I get where, pray tell? :confused:

To Saturday
  • LC_libra
    LC_libra Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Hello, just now joining the thread. Been using MyFitnessPal on and off for some time but am determined to make this year my year! I restarted my seemingly ongoing weight loss journey to losing about 100 lbs. at the beginning of this month and am down 4.8 lbs. so far. Slow and steady wins the race. :)

Congratulations on your loss!
  • Lauriek70
    Lauriek70 Posts: 2,087 Member
    Options
    Karen- I have started looking at flights. I just need to figure out what time I want to fly out on Friday and return on Monday. Would you recommend flying into O'Hare or Midway. I am looking forward to the trip and need to get running again. Motivation time to start revving it up.

Kelley- I am thankful that we don't get the big storms every year. I remember the winter of '96 and how long it closed it schools for a week. Today, I started breaking up the icy patches on the roads to make travel a little easier on the road. If nothing else it will help me to turn around without getting stuck. I will see if my plan worked in the morning.

Welcome to all the new people on the thread.

The weather warmed up here today into the 50's so that really helped to melt the snow. Schools are closed again tomorrow. I am guessing they will be closed all week. They are working on clearing the bus lots and it is taking a lot of time for each lot. Sadly, this is using our emergency snow days so it means a longer month of June being in school. However, I don't want to deal with unplowed parking lots and many of the roads in the county are not completely passable at this point. The sidewalks are also impassable since many have been plowed under and the snow is piled up at the bus stops.

Today, was a great day for exercise. Went for a 2 mile walk into town and saw the condition of some of the sidewalks- not good. Then came home and shoveled the street literally trying to break up the ice. Tonight I am relaxing and trying not to fall asleep. I walked with a friend who lost 100 pounds of weight about 10 years ago though surgery. The conversation was very good and we talked about how this battle is never ending. It also changes how we see ourselves and alters who we are in a good way. It allows our true selves to come out and experience life.

Tomorrow, I head back to the gym for cross training and some running drills then Thursday will be a running day. Friday is climbing. It is good to get back into a routine.

• Lauriek70
    Options
    I don't know if this link will work but it is worth a try. This is the spokesman for my School system sending out a special message about the school closure tomorrow. It was funny and made many of us laugh. The guy is Bob Mosier and this message has gone viral. Is is based on the song Hello from Adele. You may need to copy and past the link for it to work.

• skinnyjeanzbound
    skinnyjeanzbound Posts: 3,932 Member
    Options
    @laurie-- O'hare is much bigger and has better public transportation to downtown. Plus, my parents live a few minutes from O'hare and a block from the Metra (train). One plan I have floating around in my head is that I will pick you and Susan up from O'hare and we can leave my car at my parents' house and take the train down to the condo. The train will be much cheaper than paying to park all weekend even if it includes a short Uber ride.

The other plan is I could drive to my parents' and have my dad drop me at the airport and we can all take the el downtown. I need to know for sure we are staying at the condo Susan reserved and get the address to see which option is better for us. It also depends a bit on how close together your flights arrive.

I won't be able to take you back to the airport on Monday b/c I have to work, but you can take public transit all the way back. If you fly in and out of Midway, you could also take public transit, but I'm not at all familiar with public transportation from that airport. It's all the way on the south side of the city and I grew up Northside. I don't think I've ever been to Midway.

That being said, if you find a fantastic fare in and out of Midway, we can make it work. :)
  • zcb94
    Options
    Lauriek70 wrote: »
    I don't know if this link will work but it is worth a try. This is the spokesman for my School system sending out a special message about the school closure tomorrow. It was funny and made many of us laugh. The guy is Bob Mosier and this message has gone viral. Is is based on the song Hello from Adele. You may need to copy and past the link for it to work.

Oh, gosh! That's just too funny. :lol:
  • stephc002
    stephc002 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Hey all. Finally checking in today. Been a pretty good day. Much better than yesterday. The dental work yesterday caused a major anxiety attack which kept me shakey all day. I am such a baby...lol.

Had a wonderful massage today, and was finally able to get in and out of the car without hurting like crazy. My new massage therapist has a hydro massage table, and I highly recommend it if you have never tried one. It was amazing!! I will definitely be going back for that again soon!

Been doing well on my tracking and eating...lost 2.2 lbs for my first week back, even with indulging a bit, so I am thrilled! Still haven't managed to get the motivation up to exercise much, bUT I am getting my steps in so I suppose that is something.

Hope everyone is having a great week! It's freezing here in Ohio...can't wait for summer! Lol
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    Options
    Welcome to the newlings! :smiley:

@zoe-- haha, perspective is a funny thing. Here in Chicago we are excited that our temps will move up to 45 by Saturday. I guarantee there will be people wearing shorts.

@kelley-- yeah, I'm really enjoying not being bogged down with papers right now. Trying to take advantage of the extra time to get ahead with planning and such. Good luck with your grad work; I know how busy that gets on top of a full-time job.

AFM-- Another good day today as far as food goes. I will come in under goal even with the 113g of ice cream I plan to eat after I finish this post. Tomorrow will be tougher. I've talked about my young (28 yo) friend and former colleague who has breast cancer. She was declared cancer free after chemo and a double mastectomy only to have it return about a year ago. Since then it has spread to her bones and they recently found a spot on her brain. Tomorrow, a group of us are meeting her for sushi and drinks. I will still try to make good choices, but I know it will be emotional as she catches us up on what's next as far as her treatment is concerned.

I also made it to the gym despite some very sore legs as a result of the 8k I ran on Sunday. Made it through 2 miles on the treadmill. No walk for gunner b/c it was snowing and the sidewalks are very slick after a night of rain that has since frozen over.

Tuesday Goals:
    See below.

Grading Goals:
    1. 60/60 Avalon movie guides DONE
    2. 60/60 Jungle excerpt annotations DONE

Fitness Goals for the month of January:
    I will run 3x/week and at least one 5k/week:
    Week 1 = 2/3 runs, 1/1 5k; Week 2 = 2/3 runs, x/1 5k; Week 3 = 1/3 runs, 1/1 5k; Week 4 = 2/3 runs, 1/1 5k
    I will run a 5k start to finish with no walking breaks. DONE
    I will run an 8k twice. 1/2

Nutrition Goal for January:
    Stay under calorie goal 6/7 days each week.
    Week 1 = 6/7
    Week 2 = 5/7
    Week 3 = 6/7
    Week 4 = 4/7

You vs Year Challenge:
    31k done/ 969k to go

Exercise Goals:
    Sat-- walk gunner DONE
    Sun-- walk gunner DONE + gym DONE
    Mon-- rest day (meeting)
    Tues-- walk gunner NOT DONE + gym DONE
    Wed-- rest day (meeting a friend after work)
    Thurs-- walk gunner + gym
    Fri-- walk gunner
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    Options
    stephc002 wrote: »
    Hey all. Finally checking in today. Been a pretty good day. Much better than yesterday. The dental work yesterday caused a major anxiety attack which kept me shakey all day. I am such a baby...lol.

Had a wonderful massage today, and was finally able to get in and out of the car without hurting like crazy. My new massage therapist has a hydro massage table, and I highly recommend it if you have never tried one. It was amazing!! I will definitely be going back for that again soon!

Been doing well on my tracking and eating...lost 2.2 lbs for my first week back, even with indulging a bit, so I am thrilled! Still haven't managed to get the motivation up to exercise much, bUT I am getting my steps in so I suppose that is something.

Hope everyone is having a great week! It's freezing here in Ohio...can't wait for summer! Lol

Steph-- they have a hydro massage at my gym. I use it every time I go and I love it!

Great job with the loss! It's better in the long run to lose at that 2 lb/week rate while allowing yourself some treats than to cut the treats and lose more quickly. The way you're doing it will make it much easier for you to maintain.
  • stephc002
    stephc002 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    @skinnyjeanzbound thanks!! I found a group on here last week that talks about eating more and losing more slowly...I increased my calories from mfp's suggestions to theirs, and I found I am much happier at the slightly higher level. Don't feel like I am starving all the time (first 2 days back were awful until I upped a bit) have room for a couple indulgences, but overall making very healthy choices. Feel so much better, and losing, so I am thrilled! Lol.
  • Morgori
    Morgori Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    Good morning everyone.

Happy Paris Peace Accords Day!
    From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    The Paris Peace Accords of January 27, 1973 intended to establish peace in Vietnam and an end to the Vietnam War. It ended direct U.S. military combat, and temporarily stopped the fighting between North and South Vietnam. The governments of the Democratic Republic of Vietnam (North Vietnam), the Republic of Vietnam (South Vietnam), and the United States, as well as the Provisional Revolutionary Government (PRG) that represented indigenous South Vietnamese revolutionaries, signed the Agreement on Ending the War and Restoring Peace in Vietnam on January 27, 1973. The agreement was not ratified by the United States Senate.[1][2]
    The negotiations that led to the accord began in 1968 after various lengthy delays. As a result of the accord, the International Control Commission (ICC) was replaced by International Commission of Control and Supervision (ICCS) to fulfill the agreement. The main negotiators of the agreement were United States National Security Advisor Henry Kissinger and Vietnamese politburo member Lê Đức Thọ; the two men were awarded the 1973 Nobel Peace Prize for their efforts, although Lê Đức Thọ refused to accept it.

” In minds crammed with thoughts, organs clogged with toxins, and bodies stiffened with neglect, there is just no space for anything else.” ~Alison Rose Levy, "An Ancient Cure for Modern Life," Yoga Journal, Jan/Feb 2002

11857432.png

Tom
  • zcb94
    Options
    Wednesday Wishing: This week, I wish for a little bit of QUIET in my area, so my head can simmer down. All these constant stress/sinus headaches can't be good for my wound healing! Aaahh!
    On a more positive note, I also want this afternoon's in-home checkup to go well, and Monday to hurry up and get here so I can attend a meeting to discuss seating for a bum-friendly wheelchair that I desperately need.
  • Nikion901
    Options
    Bump ... I was going to post an 'insensitive, sensative Nikki' soapboax type speak today but decided to just come back another day when I'm in a more mellow mood. Back to doing something active for a change of pace.
  • trustthelordtotally
    Options
    Struggling with binge eating at night. My food choices are usually healthy and at home but around1,000-1,200 calories over my MFP limit. Any suggestions on how to break this habit?
  • Nikion901
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Struggling with binge eating at night. My food choices are usually healthy and at home but around1,000-1,200 calories over my MFP limit. Any suggestions on how to break this habit?

It's very discouraging, isn't it?
    It happens to me sometimes also.
    What I do about it really take a close look at the foods I ate during the day, and most specifically the last meal. Often times I find that there was either an inbalance in the kinds of food I ate, or the calories were too light.
    I also learned there are 'trigger' foods that set of cravings for binge eating that can crop up.

For example, if the food I've eaten is very salty, very sweet, or very fatty, then I am more prone to having a binge attack. Thus, I shy away from having those kinds of foods in the house except in very small portions. Take bread, for an example. I love bread and all products made with grains but have learned that if I bring home a French bread, or a batard from the grocery store that it will be gone within 24 hours (especially if there is hard salami, bolonga or some sausage to pair with it!). However, if I bring home a loaf of whole wheat (not honey WW), or make a sour-dough bread from scratch that I can be happy with just a slice or two just once every day or two.

And, in line with the balance in the meal topic, I find if I don't combine my foods I am more prone to wanting more. No sandwiches for supper with something crispy ... I'm better off with a bowl of spaghetti with any kind of protein and a salad. Or, if it is sandwiches, then there has to be big bowl of homemade veggie soup with it.

And apples ... I find I cannot eat an apple all by itself at any time. It has to be with something else, like cheese, or peanut butter, or as an ingredient in my meal. Otherwise I'll be binging later on.

Hope my experiences are tips that will work for you if you give them a try.
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    Options
    @trustthe-- In addition to niki's suggestions, have you tried to cut the amount of your servings? I took a peek at your food diary, and I agree your choices are mostly healthy. Try serving yourself just half of what you think you want. Then put the rest away in the fridge or cabinet before you eat and put any serving utensils in the dishwasher. When you are finished eating, I bet you will be satisfied. If not, you will have to take the food out and serve some more-- sometimes the work that involves is enough to stop me from having seconds.

Wednesday Wish:
    I know this is totally far-fetched, but I wish cancer would just go away and leave the people I love alone.

Grading Goals:
    1. 5/22 object speeches
    2. x/22 object speech reflections

Fitness Goals for the month of January:
    I will run 3x/week and at least one 5k/week:
    Week 1 = 2/3 runs, 1/1 5k; Week 2 = 2/3 runs, x/1 5k; Week 3 = 1/3 runs, 1/1 5k; Week 4 = 2/3 runs, 1/1 5k
    I will run a 5k start to finish with no walking breaks. DONE
    I will run an 8k twice. 1/2

Nutrition Goal for January:
    Stay under calorie goal 6/7 days each week.
    Week 1 = 6/7
    Week 2 = 5/7
    Week 3 = 6/7
    Week 4 = 4/7

You vs Year Challenge:
    31k done/ 969k to go

Exercise Goals:
    Sat-- walk gunner DONE
    Sun-- walk gunner DONE + gym DONE
    Mon-- rest day (meeting)
    Tues-- walk gunner NOT DONE + gym DONE
    Wed-- rest day (meeting a friend after work)
    Thurs-- walk gunner + gym
    Fri-- walk gunner

• kah68
    kah68 Posts: 1,515 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    The day/night got away from me. Will try to catch up tomorrow.

Wednesday Wish:
    I know this is totally far-fetched, but I wish cancer would just go away and leave the people I love alone.

I'm with you Karen. I'm so sorry for your friend and what she has been going through at such a young age. I have a friend that was hit hard with cancer and fought it aggressively all of last year, it is so hard to watch the people you love go though that. :cry:

• grandmakaye44
    grandmakaye44 Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    I'm with you on the cancer. I've lost some friends to cancer in the last few years. It's very hard!
    Today I tried a new exercise and I think that I am going to like it. My daughter is a certified Piyo instructor. She teaches a beginner level on Monday and Wednesday evenings. I went this evening for the first time. It necessitates changing our dinner time and a little planning ahead so dinner is ready when I get home, but I think that it is worth it. My form isn't very good, but everyone is so busy trying to do it right that they don't have time to watch others. She has modified some of the moves so that another lady and I who both have knee issues can use a chair for some of the moves. It takes alot to get me sweating, but that did it. I know that I can get better with time. I just have to remember that the exercises won't get easier, but I will get stronger.
    Hang in there. We can do this.
    Onward and downward. Kaye
  • Lauriek70
    Options
    Wish- that my friend Matt gets better. He has surgery and then sprained his ankle on top of it. This is making his recovery from surgery difficult.

I am back to work tomorrow and sort of surprised that they managed to clear all the school lots in record time. Kids report back on Friday to start the 3rd marking period.

Karen thanks for the advice on the airport. I will let you know.