Need to Lose 100 LBS -Robins Thread !

Options

Replies

• Morgori
    Morgori Posts: 954 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Good afternoon everyone!

Happy St. Baldrick’s Lepre-con World’s Largest Leprechaun Gathering Day to Conquer Childhood Cancer!
    We did well on the walk, we only did the mile fun walk, but after eating smoked tri-tip BBQ sandwiches and drinking beer and whiskey I probably should have done the 5K lol.
    We helped set the new world record for the Largest Leprechaun Gathering ever! :)

ee8t1vtqscr8.jpg

qz2xt19s2g4r.jpg

dpjp8zjl7iqa.jpg

nxs8axttjfp5.jpg

jdvguhym8loc.jpg

Every day may not be good, but there's something good in every day. ~Author Unknown

11857432.png

Tom
    1.jpg 180.1K
    2.jpg 210.1K
    6.jpg 143.9K
    7.jpg 194.1K
    8.jpg 181.1K
  • jtconst
    jtconst Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    @Tom looks like a really fun day
  • Lauriek70
    Lauriek70 Posts: 2,087 Member
    Options
    Robin- I go back to work on Tuesday but I can take more time off if needed. The ankle is doing better but still sore. My brother will help with most things as needed. The challenge right now will be mom getting use to not going to see Dad in the afternoons, that has been her life for the past year or so. You have a good memory, I have sprained my ankled many times over the years and this time I am actually taking it easy to let it heal.

Karen- I am sorry to hear about your friend. Pancreatic Cancer is brutal and never easy at any age. Words can not express the sorrow you feel however your friend is now at peace and watching over her children from heaven. Her children will be blessed to have their mom's friends in their lives and to help them throughout life. Wishing you peace during this time.

Mikaiten- welcome to the group. Congrats on overcoming your fear of the gym. Hope you come back and post often.

Morgori-Tom and Amy- Great pictures and the walk looks like fun. It is very cold here so outdoor walking is out of the question right now.

Today was a long day and it was hard to find the motivation to do anything productive. I should have graded papers tonight but all I did was play games on my phone and now I am on here. I wanted to go out with friends but no one was available tonight. Plus, I was tired from the past week so that was not helping either. I saw a high school classmate at church tonight and once he gave me a hug, I started crying but at least it didn't last long. He could see through me and he knew about my dad. It was nice catching up with him tonight. I was able to pull myself together. I realize that this will happen from time to time but it does not make it any easier.

Tomorrow- I am looking forward to rock climbing and I hope that my foot will be able to handle it. If not, I can always work out at the gym there so it will be a win-win situation for me. I am looking forward to getting back to working out at a high intensity level.

Sunday- Climbing
    Monday- Trainer workout
    Tuesday-Gym weights/core
    Wednesday-Cardio-run???
    Thursday- Rest
    Friday- Climbing
    Saturday- swim???

• Ardentoak
    Ardentoak Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone! This is my first post to this discussion - I'm happy to have found you!

This is Day 3 of what I expect will be a very active 2.5 years of weight loss (with about 178 lbs to lose), followed by a lifetime of maintaining life with a healthier body and mind. The number is daunting, but I'm concentrating on each day, and will look at each pound that I lose as a little victory. I know that there's no miracle method with this, but I DO know that I will do so much better with a community of people who understand what this process is like.

I'm looking forward to getting to know you. PLEASE feel free to add me. :smiley:

Sarah
  • zcb94
    zcb94 Posts: 3,679 Member
    Options
    Belated Saturday Success: although I didn't hit my goal on the head this week, I have eaten tons of protein and felt really good lately, satisfied with my diet but never stuffed.
    Sunday Sharing: nothing new to add, but I can re-share my (corrected) intro post with any newbies:
    Sunday Share/intro: hello! I'm not new to MFP, but new to, and excited about this thread/mini-group. I hope nobody minds me butting in to this humble space.
    Anywho, I'm Zoe. I only have about 30 lbs left but would still accept any support that comes my way, especially since I struggle with a health challenge that leaves me in a not-too-comfy bed until further notice. My health care team is supporting my weight loss efforts by guiding me through a diabetic-friendly diet, with a caloric intake that I shan't mention here due to MFP rules, but is lower than usual because I live in a wheelchair since birth, which takes away a lot of calorie burning ability (can't walk 'em off). When I'm not sleeping my life away, I like to worship my Lord and Savior, read, channel-surf on TV, practice crochet, and interact with as many of the people in my life as possible. Before falling ill, I was a thriving college student (Humanities major, Pre-law emphasis, and Spanish minor) who had dreams of becoming a Disability Lawyer who could share God's Good News with her clients. I still believe that this is possible, though, because I would consider myself a pretty smart cookie, brave and strong enough to weather most storms. Funny background story: the OB/GYN who was taking care of Mom during her term with me sadly recommended abortion on grounds that I wouldn't "have a cognizant thought" if born. Oh, how I'd love to shake his hand now! For one thing, that's the wrong word! We experience "cogniTIVE thought, right? Furthermore, I'm in college (and having a simply wonderful life despite occasional moderate discomfort, thanks anyway). Ironic, no? Thus explains my unique name. "Zoe" is Greek for "God-given miracle of abundant life (as opposed to a run-of-the-mill existence)", for which Mom and Dad very fervently prayed upon hearing my Spina Bifida diagnosis.
  • mountmary84
    mountmary84 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Happy Valentine's Day Everyone. <3<3<3
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    skinnyjeanzbound Posts: 3,932 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone!

@sarah & mika-- welcome to the thread! :smile:

@laurie-- I'm glad your father's services went smoothly. It will be tough on your mom as she acclimates to a new routine. Perhaps she can get involved in some sort of group that meets her interests-- book club, bridge, etc. I hope you have a nice climb today and your ankle cooperates. I saw a picture of a rock wall mounted on the side of a pool for harness-free climbing and it made me think of you.

@tom-- love the pics of you and amy!! That looks like a really fun event.

@niki-- it's so interesting how we build our relationship with food from childhood. With my mother, it was always, "You'd better eat something before you go [wherever], you don't want to be hungry." Or, "Aren't you worried you'll be hungry later if you don't eat now?" I never realized how crazy that is until I read an article in Shape magazine about 5 years ago. It was about the different ways fit and not fit people view food and exercise. The one that hit me like a ton of bricks and stuck with me was, "Healthy-weighted people don't fear being hungry." They don't eat now, when they may not be hungry, just to avoid possible hunger in the future. It seems so obvious, but I grew up with a completely different mantra. Now, when I hear my mom say that-- especially to my niece who is 4 and just starting to form her own habits-- it makes me cringe.

@robin, barb, & niki-- thank you for your condolences. We weren't close, but she was such a genuine, friendly girl in HS, and my heart hurts for her family.

Sunday Share:
    Not much new in my life except the grading has begun as you can see below. I'm thankful for the 3-day weekend to get a jump on this next batch. My plan is to do some cleaning today and then go grade at starbucks. Tomorrow, I will go to the gym in the morning and then grade before attending the wake for the HS friend. I would like to complete the analysis activities and quizzes today, and then tomorrow at least get a few of the essays done.

Grading Goals:
    1. x/10 AP analysis activities
    2. 20/41 AP quizzes
    3. x/41 AP essays

Fitness Goals for the month of February:
    I will run 3x/week and at least one 5k/week:
    Week 1 = 3/3 runs, 1/1 5k; Week 2 = 2/3 runs, 1/1 5k; Week 3 = x/3 runs, x/1 5k; Week 4 = x/3 runs, x/1 5k
    I will run a 5k start to finish with no walking breaks.
    I will run an 8k twice. 1/2

Nutrition Goal for February:
    Eat >100 g protein 11/29

You vs Year Challenge:
    60k done/ 940k to go

Exercise Goals:
    Mon-- walk gunner DONE
    Tues-- meeting
    Wed-- walk gunner NOT DONE
    Thurs-- walk gunner NOT DONE + gym DONE
    Fri-- walk gunner NOT DONE
    Sat-- walk gunner DONE + gym DONE
    Sun-- walk gunner
  • Nikion901
    Nikion901 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    Happy Valentine's Day Everyone. <3<3<3

Happy Valentines Day!
  • Nikion901
    Options
    Sunday Share ... yesterday I was into passing time with amusement instead of constructive home making endeavors. One of the activities I did was read some (a lot, actually) of the threads from the differenet categories on the community pages. I replied to some of them also. This morning I had a friend request from someone who read one of my posts and liked the common sense her noted in it ... but he didn't say which one, and I don't accept friends on MFP ... so. There was one thread under a new category "Nutrition Debate" that looked interesting. One thread about 'semantics' caught my eye ... and drew me in. This morning I went back to that thread to see what was going on ... it really both interested and frustrated me ... and I let myself be pulled into making a post on there. Mistake! There is one guy on their who is extremely irritating to me; he is one-minded and doesn't read all the way through anyones posts, just hangs onto one thought stream and pounds on it in a very unfriendly manner. But, it was my choice to reply on the thread, I ended up having to set that profile to 'ignore' because I don't want to be goaded into an online argument.

As for my weight loss objectives, I'm looking forward to Monday Check-in. I had a couple of days where I ate too many carbs because of the food choices I made, or because of staying up too late and becoming hungry enough to eat again. When I eat later than normal, I usually am off schedule the next day as well as I am not hungry at breakfast time and won't eat until I am hungry, so maybe it'll have balanced itself out and I will still be on track.

@Morgori ...love the pictures of you and Amy. Looks like you had a great time. ... and so much like a St Patrick's Day event that I had to check the date stamp on your post.

@Karen~ ... I am so glad my mom never forced food on me, but my rearing did teach me to clean my plate! For some reason, that habit didn't stick with my sister, and it drives me internally wild to see her tossing out perfectly good food or not having any concerns about wasteful food habits. But then, she is in a much more relaxed financial position than me and it doesn't bother her budget like it would mine.

@Laurie~ ... Good luck on the rock climb.

Welcome @Ardentoak and @mikaiten

@Zoe~ ... Is your care team having you on a "diabetic-friendly" diet because you are diabetic? I am ... and would love to hear how they have modified your intake to support that.

OK ... I think I've remembered everyone who posted since my last post on here ...
    Follow-Through with Consistent Focus
    Niki
  • zcb94
    Options
    @Nikion901, I am (well, was but should still keep sugar control in mind while I heal and have A1c checks as often as I safely can). The only modifications are my doctor-supervised "sort of" VLCD (please don't attack me, MFP) and very few carbs. If I have a treat like pasta, it shall be whole grain or not at all. (Then again, if that doesn't work, a diet of all meat, all the time (therefore carbohydrate free) would be just fine by me! :drooling: )
  • Nikion901
    Options
    zcb94 wrote: »
    @Nikion901, I am (well, was but should still keep sugar control in mind while I heal and have A1c checks as often as I safely can). The only modifications are my doctor-supervised "sort of" VLCD (please don't attack me, MFP) and very few carbs. If I have a treat like pasta, it shall be whole grain or not at all. (Then again, if that doesn't work, a diet of all meat, all the time (therefore carbohydrate free) would be just fine by me! :drooling: )

Yes, Very Low Carbs was the only remedy that was available to diabetics when the disease was first identified. Now a days they have medications in pill form and injections to assist in the bodies uptake of glucose into the cells. Ironically, excess protein also converts into glucose. As my doctor explained to me, insulin resistence can be 'cured' by adhering to lifestyle and food changes, but once you are diagnosed with Diabetes it's with you for life but can benefit from lifestyle and food changes. That's the situation I am in ...
  • zcb94
    Options
    ^That makes sense but what I refer to is my dietician's choice to help me with a really low calorie intake. I've tried pills and (seemingly) thousand-time-a-day insulin shots, all of which lowered my sugars to that magical hangry number!
    Nikion901 wrote: »

Yes, Very Low Carbs was the only remedy that was available to diabetics when the disease was first identified. Now a days they have medications in pill form and injections to assist in the bodies uptake of glucose into the cells. Ironically, excess protein also converts into glucose. As my doctor explained to me, insulin resistence can be 'cured' by adhering to lifestyle and food changes, but once you are diagnosed with Diabetes it's with you for life but can benefit from lifestyle and food changes. That's the situation I am in ...
    This is what I thought, until my mom/diabetic educator conquered it! :confused:
  • MrsMorgori
    MrsMorgori Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    <3<3<3<3<3<3
  • Morgori
    Morgori Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    Mountmary84- I'm in Vegas so it got up to 70 something before we left the walk, but was in the 40s when we got there at 7:15AM.
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    Options
    Just a quick drive-by to update my goals. Finished the grading I had slated for today. :smile:

It's snowing here again, so no walk for gunner. However, that means I may get to burn some calories shoveling snow. Lucky me! LOL

Grading Goals:
    1. 10/10 AP analysis activities DONE
    2. 41/41 AP quizzes DONE
    3. x/41 AP essays

Fitness Goals for the month of February:
    I will run 3x/week and at least one 5k/week:
    Week 1 = 3/3 runs, 1/1 5k; Week 2 = 2/3 runs, 1/1 5k; Week 3 = x/3 runs, x/1 5k; Week 4 = x/3 runs, x/1 5k
    I will run a 5k start to finish with no walking breaks.
    I will run an 8k twice. 1/2

Nutrition Goal for February:
    Eat >100 g protein 11/29

You vs Year Challenge:
    60k done/ 940k to go

Exercise Goals:
    Mon-- walk gunner DONE
    Tues-- meeting
    Wed-- walk gunner NOT DONE
    Thurs-- walk gunner NOT DONE + gym DONE
    Fri-- walk gunner NOT DONE
    Sat-- walk gunner DONE + gym DONE
    Sun-- walk gunner NOT DONE
  • zcb94
    Options
    @skinnyjeanzbound , you could therefore phrase that line to say "Sun-- walk Gunner: not done-shoveled snow." Positive, solution-focused thinking is a dieter's best friend!
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    Options
    @skinnyjeanzbound , you could therefore phrase that line to say "Sun-- walk Gunner: not done-shoveled snow." Positive, solution-focused thinking is a dieter's best friend!

That would be true if it would stop snowing, but it's starting to look like shoveling will have to wait until tomorrow. :smile:
  • mountmary84
    mountmary84 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Rats! Just wrote a post, complete with personals AND a photo, but I guess I don't know how to do the photo part. It is gone to la-la land.

I will just say now I met calorie goal today and was 10g over on protein. ....Alas, I made a cherry pie for DH today for V'day, a 52year tradition, and I haven't had any yet. I am not a big sweet eater, but I would like to taste it. We will see...I have 82 calories left to play with....is that one bite??? The pie was the photo, but it came in HUGE and mostly what was visible was the wood of the table. LOL!!
  • zcb94
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Valentine's Day Protein Goal: missing 15 grams, but I'm already full, just ate dinner. Oh dear.
  • Nikion901
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Monday Check-in
    I lost 1.2 pounds this week ... that brings the total loss for 2016 to 5 pounds so far.

The food challenge has me slipping a bit in protein intake. I am trying for 20% but my average thus far is only 19% ... close enough! This week I was at or over my protein goal on 3 days.

Calories were at goal on 5 days, so it is 10/14 for the month
    Exercise goal was 1370 calories and I got in 1590 ... thanks to the 4 times I did snow shoveling by hand.

Yesterday I didn't go out of this house at all because it was too cold out for me to be able to catch my breath out there. It was so cold that the metal door knob on the front door radiated cold as you went past it, and to touch it felt like holding an ice cube! It's supposed to be more seasonable today with temperatures climbing into the low 30's.

Does anyone use the recipe feature on MFP? I do, and it's been 'broken' recently. I just noticed it yesterday and is continuing today. I made a beef barley soup that I wanted to calculate the macro's for and it won't return the database for ingredients.

Speaking of protein, MFP made a post to my FB account with an article about it that included the recommendations and it finally stated it correctly ... that the percentage is based on kilogram of body weight, not pound. (0.8 for the average individual, 1.2 -2.0 for the athlete)

I hope everyone has a strong third week of February and comes in at all their goals.
    I have an additional goal this week of working on the closets in this house.

Follow-Through with Consistent Focus
    Niki