Confession Time! ((ABSOLUTELY NO JUDGEMENT))

Options

Replies

• orangesmartie
    orangesmartie Posts: 1,870 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Oberon21 wrote: »
    kelly_c_77 wrote: »
    Lois_1989 wrote: »
    POF how is this strike still going on? This is ridiculous. I thought it would be over by now. Massive hugs!
    Tim was on strike for 5 months! :o

how the hmmm can people afford to be on strike that long?

Its a totally different culture to strikes on the UK after Thatcher broke the unions in the 80s.

It was tough. Luckily, we had savings. We're still kind of digging ourselves out of the hole though. It's hard because we're a one income family..so we didn't have another source of income through it all. Tim was fishing (side business) as much as he could but the strike was through the winter and the weather didn't allow for many trips. The union helped here and there with gift cards for groceries and things like that...

I feel bad for everyone. Those without pay or healthcare. The folks who are here from TX and CA and OK and OH, etc. who are staying away from their families and kids and missing major life events. Working 16 - 18 hour days. Being harassed by picketing workers. Being harassed for 'not making their numbers' or 'answering 28 calls in a day', etc. It's not a pretty situation all around.

Day 33 today.

Nobody wins out of this situation. Ultimately both sides will compromise and a contract will be agreed, but until then, its ordinary people (on both sides) losing out, so the management (of both sides) can grandstand to the press.

I was horrified to read of a car accident of a woman who was driving to her next job, and crashed due to the harassment of strikers on the road. I was even more horrified that that unions/strikers think it is acceptable to harass workers and picket at their cars, outside customers' houses. Protest the company, not the staff.
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    Options
    Lois_1989 wrote: »
    POF how is this strike still going on? This is ridiculous. I thought it would be over by now. Massive hugs!
    Tim was on strike for 5 months! :o

how the hmmm can people afford to be on strike that long?

Its a totally different culture to strikes on the UK after Thatcher broke the unions in the 80s.

It was tough. Luckily, we had savings. We're still kind of digging ourselves out of the hole though. It's hard because we're a one income family..so we didn't have another source of income through it all. Tim was fishing (side business) as much as he could but the strike was through the winter and the weather didn't allow for many trips. The union helped here and there with gift cards for groceries and things like that...

I feel bad for everyone. Those without pay or healthcare. The folks who are here from TX and CA and OK and OH, etc. who are staying away from their families and kids and missing major life events. Working 16 - 18 hour days. Being harassed by picketing workers. Being harassed for 'not making their numbers' or 'answering 28 calls in a day', etc. It's not a pretty situation all around.

Day 33 today.

Nobody wins out of this situation. Ultimately both sides will compromise and a contract will be agreed, but until then, its ordinary people (on both sides) losing out, so the management (of both sides) can grandstand to the press.

I was horrified to read of a car accident of a woman who was driving to her next job, and crashed due to the harassment of strikers on the road. I was even more horrified that that unions/strikers think it is acceptable to harass workers and picket at their cars, outside customers' houses. Protest the company, not the staff.

Preach it, Nicci! Those protesters should be charged with causing that accident. What if she had hit one of them?
  • raymax4
    raymax4 Posts: 6,070 Member
    Options
    It stinks not being able to talk. End of story.
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    Options
    raymax4 wrote: »
    It stinks not being able to talk. End of story.

My sympathy. It does stink.

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    My son was highly entertained the last time I lost my voice. He thoroughly enjoyed doing all the things I couldn't tell him not to do. :D
  • raymax4
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Hubby asked me how long it took me to recover when I lost my voice before. I just looked at him blankly.
    He has lived with me for 33 years, longer than any other person. I assure you that he has never seen me speechless. Gotta love the man.
  • raymax4
    Options
    My son was highly entertained the last time I lost my voice. He thoroughly enjoyed doing all the things I couldn't tell him not to do. :D

I could see our sons being entertained with this when they are younger.
  • kellyjellybellyjelly
    kellyjellybellyjelly Posts: 9,480 Member
    Options
    Hubby asked me how long it took me to recover when I lost my voice before. I just looked at him blankly.
    He has lived with me for 33 years, longer than any other person. I assure you that he has never seen me speechless. Gotta love the man.

I still remember when I lost my voice when I was cashiering a few years ago & had to whisper. The one customer asked why I was whispering.

Judge-Judy-Eye-Roll-Thumb.gif

I wanted to say why do you think?
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    My dad is the kind of guy who doesn't give a care if he loses his voice. He still yelled at us.

• Italian_Buju
    Italian_Buju Posts: 8,030 Member
    Options

I still remember when I lost my voice when I was cashiering a few years ago & had to whisper. The one customer asked why I was whispering.

Judge-Judy-Eye-Roll-Thumb.gif

I wanted to say why do you think?

I had to tape a note to my counter once explaining I could not speak.....
  • kellyjellybellyjelly
    kellyjellybellyjelly Posts: 9,480 Member
    Options
    CooCooPuff wrote: »
    My dad is the kind of guy who doesn't give a care if he loses his voice. He still yelled at us.

LMAO!

When my supervisor lost her voice she had to use the store intercom & I swear she sounded like some kind of hellish creature. It was so freaky.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Today is my Friday!!! Bellator is tomorrow!!! I am so freaking excited!!!

The 174 #soberdays streak will not see 175! LOL

This is the fight card. The kid I circled is a local kid that we've watched fight in local fights. Super nice kid. I'll be cheering extra hard for him. If you watch Bellator on Spike channel tomorrow, my son dyed his hair bright pink yesterday, so watch for us!!!
    qffh095chq5i.jpg
  • Oberon21
    Oberon21 Posts: 13,235 Member
    Options
    Quik have a GREAT TIME! I am still not on my sober streak. I have decided that I having to accept that this probably won't happen until after strike duty. I just am so not happy these days with this whole situation. I am exhausted and ready for this whole situation to be over. And in all honestly I am not sure there really is an end in sight. But who knows. I did have a fabulous dinner last nigh with some of my co-workers. That was pretty cool.

Hope all of you are well!
  • Oberon21
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Laura, congratulations! Nice! Good for you. I think sometimes when you don't want a job you interview the best. So much less stress so you are more natural! I am sure you'll rock it!
  • crosbylee
    crosbylee Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    POF, I was wondering where you were. I figured it was due to the strike stuff that you weren't here. I hope things get better soon. Those hours have to be killer. Hang in there.
  • Oberon21
    Options
    Hi, rumors are rampant that this will be over soon. It can't end soon enough for me. I got in a fight with my strike supervisor over his hoarding of tools (and he is mad at me for going through his filing cabinet drawers (looking for a rubber band for my hair) and finding the tools). I am pretty sure he has been ordering all new tools for his guys under the auspicious of getting tools for us, the "EWA" (emergency work assignment) employees, and then holding onto them. We have been working with an insufficient quantity of tools, and with all the older, crappy tools when he has been ordering stuff for 'his guys' and holding onto it. Now he is locking his office area every day, which is even more annoying as there is stuff in there like paper, etc. we need but he is being childish.

We were already having a bit of a falling out over these huge cases of water he was buying to give to the striking workers, and I helped myself and my co-workers to a few bottles one Sunday when I was up in his office (it was a case of like 48 bottles) and he was annoyed about that. In my opinion you should first be buying water for the people who have come in to help out during this difficult time, before you worry about the guys blowing horns at us and calling us scabs every day.

So, needless to say, things aren't too comfortable around here. I am going to try and get myself moved if this continues. I don't enjoy killing time all day in an overstaffed CO when I could be adding value somewhere else, working with someone who is buying new tools for his 'guys' and holding out on the people who have put their lives on hold and are working their butts off in jobs they are unfamiliar with, 1,000+ miles from home, while he enjoys a daily food allowance and the ability to restock his supplies while pretending to do it for his EWA workers.

Today he did nothing to prep us for work, so he was going to have 4 people here with zero work to do (3 of whom are earning time and a half) until I complained about that and they told 2 people to take today off. So it's me and lazy sourcing guy today. I am going to work on my expenses and hope we get some work in to pass the time. Oh, and note, in my position in the company I earn nothing additional for the work I am doing (Directors and above get zero additional pay for the EWA work...fun).

Sorry for my bit of a rant in here... it's been a tense few days. I clearly have been practicing my 'winning friends and influencing people' skills... not!
  • Oberon21
    Options
    Quik hope last night was fun. I have again decided to try to start #noalcohol today after all. I am hopeful this strike is about over!
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    Options
    POF, I think I would have gone postal by now. You're a saint. Good luck with your no alcohol days. I am considering drinking one.of the hard ciders in my fridge because they have been there for almost 6 months.
  • raymax4
    Options
    Hi, rumors are rampant that this will be over soon. It can't end soon enough for me. I got in a fight with my strike supervisor over his hoarding of tools (and he is mad at me for going through his filing cabinet drawers (looking for a rubber band for my hair) and finding the tools). I am pretty sure he has been ordering all new tools for his guys under the auspicious of getting tools for us, the "EWA" (emergency work assignment) employees, and then holding onto them. We have been working with an insufficient quantity of tools, and with all the older, crappy tools when he has been ordering stuff for 'his guys' and holding onto it. Now he is locking his office area every day, which is even more annoying as there is stuff in there like paper, etc. we need but he is being childish.

We were already having a bit of a falling out over these huge cases of water he was buying to give to the striking workers, and I helped myself and my co-workers to a few bottles one Sunday when I was up in his office (it was a case of like 48 bottles) and he was annoyed about that. In my opinion you should first be buying water for the people who have come in to help out during this difficult time, before you worry about the guys blowing horns at us and calling us scabs every day.

So, needless to say, things aren't too comfortable around here. I am going to try and get myself moved if this continues. I don't enjoy killing time all day in an overstaffed CO when I could be adding value somewhere else, working with someone who is buying new tools for his 'guys' and holding out on the people who have put their lives on hold and are working their butts off in jobs they are unfamiliar with, 1,000+ miles from home, while he enjoys a daily food allowance and the ability to restock his supplies while pretending to do it for his EWA workers.

Today he did nothing to prep us for work, so he was going to have 4 people here with zero work to do (3 of whom are earning time and a half) until I complained about that and they told 2 people to take today off. So it's me and lazy sourcing guy today. I am going to work on my expenses and hope we get some work in to pass the time. Oh, and note, in my position in the company I earn nothing additional for the work I am doing (Directors and above get zero additional pay for the EWA work...fun).

Sorry for my bit of a rant in here... it's been a tense few days. I clearly have been practicing my 'winning friends and influencing people' skills... not!

I hope this ends soon. (((hugs)))