WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JUNE 2016

Options

Replies

• Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    Dr Katie ~ That orange coconut cake sounds delicious.

Last night I made the chocolate dump cake. Only, the recipe I found didn't call for cooking the pudding. It called for 1 box cake mix, 1 lg box instant pudding, 1-1/2 c. milk. Supposed to sprinkle chocolate chips on top but I put them in the batter. It was too soggy and way too sweet. Goes to prove that I am a savory gal and not keen on sweets. Anyhow, it got me over wanting some and I'm glad of that.

I think my baking element in my oven is going out. It took over 30 minutes for the oven to get up to 350 degrees. One more thing to fix.

Carol
  • freidaws
    freidaws Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Just stopping by to say a quick hello to everyone. Office has been busy today. Busy means not hungry, so I'm happy. Hotter than Hateeze outside; 92 but feels like 102. I'd like to be a weatherperson. The only job I know that you can be wrong and still have a job. Texas is so hot.

IremiaRe is a stone's throw from me here in the Dallas area, and just maybe she and some of you other ladies' good exercising habits will rub off on me. I need to exercise and this morning I took a 15 minutes walk downtown Dallas at 10:30am and it was so hot that I went inside the CVS, looked around and walked 1/4 block back to the office. I don't like to sweat. When one of you posted her steps as 19,000, I thought...."In a week?" I'm really gonna have to step it up cause I was celebrating with 5,000 steps.

Have a good day!
  • Marcelynh
    Marcelynh Posts: 974 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    csofled wrote: »
    I/we have lived Connecticut 3X, Wisconsin, Ohio 3X, Indiana, New York, Florida, Virginia and Maryland so I know some of the many shades of WINTER!

Cheri
    Fairlawn, oHIo on her way to living in state #9

Oh wow, you sound like us. I've lived in Colorado 2x, New Mexico 2x, Oklahoma, Iowa, Illinois, and Texas 3x and that doesn't count the five states we did summers when my husband was in the construction division since they weren't permanent. I also have seen many shades of winter. I am just glad we didn't buy that snowblower when they went on sale in Iowa and learned we were moving to Houston a month later! For some reason I don't think a snowblower would move at a garage sale in Houston. lol

Marcelyn in Houston
    Thinking the 93 on the thermometer is wrong.. it feels like 193!

• janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Options
    DJ wrote "Janetr, so sorry about your tooth. At least you didn’t swallow it. I hear those are hard to digest. Lol"

Thanks I'm sure glad I didn't either for a couple of reasons, 1) I have no idea how many calories in 1/2 a tooth, and 2) it may have pushed me right over my daily goal.

:)

Janetr OKC
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Dottie, you shouldn't consider yourself a failure, you sought out help, you knew you needed to change habits, you didn't stay in your bad habits. That is not a failure. I am in your place. It took me a little over 2 years to lose 60 pounds and about 6 moths for me to gain 30 of them back. So I am on that agonizing long road back. And yes I have done it many times but in my 60's it is so much harder. But as I see from so many of these wonderful ladies, it is very possible.

I can't remember who asked if Charlie saw the doctor. Yes he did. He has the car keys back, yeahhhhhhh, since the hole in his belly isn't healed up yet we do have another appointment.

I have had 2 doctor's offices call today changing appointment times, Weird.

Joyce, Indiana
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,783 Member
    Options
    Evening ladies
    Nice day out with Doris ,dad of course loved his cookies... And I will pay the 32 bucks for the darn wifi....sad that delta you have to pay for wifi,maybe I will just buy for the trip down and see if It is worth it for the ride back, you get free wifi in the terminals..Tom asked how much money I thought I should take with me.. Any suggestions? Will have to fill the car up a couple of times and 100 for a wedding gift,so does 300.00 sound like to much?
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,669 Member
    Options
  • IremiaRe
    IremiaRe Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    janetr7476 wrote: »

Thanks I'm sure glad I didn't either for a couple of reasons, 1) I have no idea how many calories in 1/2 a tooth, and 2) it may have pushed me right over my daily goal.

:)

Janetr OKC

OMG - you crack me up!
  • Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    Well good news, the dermatologist did a full body check and there are only two spots she said for me to keep an eye on. I told her I didn't want to be a stupid nudist and not keep up on my skin, still appreciating my activity, but being smart about it. She laughed when I took off the gown and said...just do your thing.

I played the piano afterwards at the medical Pavilion so it made my drive all worth it. Three people said thanks, and one kid said, "hey you are pretty good there".

Tonight I am making chicken fried rice for son, and I bought him a chocolate eclair, and my husband a chocolate cream pie. I shall have fun watching them. I didn't see any of the sweets that caught my eye anyway.

Becca
    Oregon
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Had another bag fail with Charlie. I guess I call the expert tomorrow and get some advice. Charlie's skin looks so awful under that bag. I wish they made house calls on a lousy Thursday night. Not every wife sticks her finger around an ostomy bag to see if she can find poop. I think my problem is that I tried to cut the adhesive to fit around his belly button and it cut into the actual seal that was protecting him around the stoma. And right after supper!

Joyce, Indiana
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    Rita – In what do you have your Masters? What would you want to get for the 2nd one? Wouldn’t you have to have a Doctorate to teach in college or not? My DOGD has decided that she might want to go for a teaching degree in Biology. A good part of her reasoning is that in Georgia if you sign a contract for 5 years of teaching they'll pay for 2 years of college. Smart girl. She's already upset that she had $30K in debt and still has until December '17 until she graduates. She was 'thrilled' that she got enough money from her FASFA and Pell Grants, along with HOPE that she has money to go ahead and pay her rent 2 months in advance. That way, her money from her job can go to buying 'healthy' food to cook for her boyfriend and herself. She wanted to be a vet; but, I think she has decided she really did not want to go to school that much longer, nor have the debt associated with it. She’s going to take some sort of course at school that will allow her to change over. She’d like to teach middle school kids; says she knows she can make it fun and they are at the age that they will listen more and can understand what and why something is getting done. Doesn’t want to teach elementary or high school students. Congrats on have 5 charms.

Cheri in oHIo – Wet … we sort of need a little rain; supposed to be getting it this weekend. We are in a spot, where we can watch the rain clouds coming; and, then suddenly the clouds will break and go to the north and/or south of us. We’re wondering if this land was once used to film the parting of the Red Sea. But, when it does rain, it RAINS!!!!! County has ‘finally’ gotten our dirt road ditched, widened, and sort of ‘crowned’ properly. Widening it and ditching it so that two vehicles can pass one another without having to find a spot to pull over and stop. Last Saturday, we were expecting to have a double tandem pick-up truck load of dirt brought to us. They did not make it and DH wants to be here when they do. Then after that he is planning on getting some gravel to lay down on our driveway. This should be ‘fun’.

Charleen2 – I will let my cat, Tux, come visit for a couple of weeks. He is a real 'hunter'; but, you have to be prepared for him ‘showing you’ that he is ‘doing his job’. The other morning I opened up the back door; and, right on the mat was a dead mouse. Funny thing about it was, there was grass all around it was if he was ‘staging’ it to look like it was laying on a bed of lettuce. One day went out there and just the ‘head’ of a bunny. Made me think of the horse’s head in the Godfather movie.

Becca – I know I used to wake up so tired that it was hard to get started. Of course, at the time I did not know I had ‘sleep apnea’. I only ‘knew’ that I snored in any position. My kids would laugh so hard that it would wake me up. Sometimes I even ‘snored’ myself awake. Having bad migraine headaches, too. So my GP ordered that I have a ‘sleep study’ done; 2 night test. First night you just go to sleep attached to a handful of wires like an EEG; then next night (or time) you go in and they fit you into a mask with oxygen and you fall asleep with the same wires attached to you. I did not realize that I woke up so much, moved so much, snored so much, and worse … stopped breathing so much and for a lot longer than I should normally do. A couple of years ago, when my DDnL#2 was still our son’s fiancée – I went to sleep in the chair and she was in there with me. She said that I stopped breathing for a little more than a minute. That scared her to death. She woke me up. Then I went to the bedroom and put my C-pap mask on and went to sleep - dead to the world. I sleep so soundly now that I can sleep through a thunder and lightning storm. But, I told DH that the next time we had one and I am asleep I wanted him to ‘wake me up’. I love those types of storms. The kids had come down because of tornado warnings.

Re in TX – I got stopped on the same section of road by the same ‘female’ cop two weeks in a row. Boss could ‘make’ the first one go away; but, not the 2nd one. Oh well; I got better about going the speed limit. It’s just a really ‘wide’ road for a 2 lane road, so tempting … we have a 25mph portion of road in downtown Bronwood (population) probably less than 1000. One sign is so rusted that you can barely ‘read’ it; the one going the other way is ALWAYS blocked by parked cars at the garage in town. Sometimes the State Trooper will be parked right before the speed limit increases by 10mph. But, usually he is just sitting there – probably taking a break; but, I have seen him pull people over.

My DH has about 5 blueberry (right now, still bushes) … he bird-, deer-, proofed it so well, that I could barely get my hands in to pick them. Two of them are LOADED! I should have picked some yesterday; but, was not really in the mood to go out in the blistering heat; today, a lot of them were shriveled up. Oh, well … still had enough to make about 2 cups of them.

Last year, for the first time … the deer ate our grapes (Muscatine’s and Scuppernongs). Every single one of them. We ‘might’ have gotten a couple of handfuls. Thankfully, I still had some juice from the previous year (for jelly). Have not made it yet. This year I am going to put them in ½ pint sized jars (better for gifts, etc.). DDnL#1’s mother is making some plum jelly from the wild plums that DH and DOS picked last weekend.

DJ – My protein bars give me just enough ‘sweet’ and ‘chocolate’ to satisfy whatever sweetness I want. My mother did not make desserts (she was heavy); her mother made them every day (she was skinny as a rail). Mother, in college, in the 30s had a nice ‘full-figure’ (which was the thing back then). She was 5’3” and weighed maybe 145lbs at the heaviest. I’m thankful every day that I got ‘her’ skin (meaning my mother’s).

Freidasmith – When you say ‘hot’ … I think about Robin Williams in “Good Morning Vietnam”. That’s hot. I think South Georgia can be ‘that’ hot.

My DDnL#1 brought us over some 'butternut spaghetti and venison meat sauce'. WOW!!!!! I wasn't sure that I would like it, or if DH would. We both enjoyed every bite of it and it does not have many calories in it either. We're planning on going to a 'new' Mexican Restaurant tomorrow night in Americus ... so I will have to watch my calories tomorrow so that I can have what I want for supper. They are without children all this week so they are going, too. I think we're going fairly early to beat the crowd. I thought she was just going to bring over a 'bite'; but, she had the spaghetti started and showed DH how to make it by dragging the fork through it; and, then the sauce was in the other half of the squash. When she said she had bought 2 because they were small ... I was surprised when she brought one over to us. She's got a 'job' interview next Wednesday and is hoping to maybe have a 2nd one at another place (here). Both, she'll have 'health insurance' ... and since DOGD is in 'school' full time ... she'll be covered until she is either 25, drops out of school (that's not going to happen), or gets married. Her boyfriends (she's been dating for 4 years) graduates this December.

I like 'hot and spicy' food better than 'sweets'. I put Frank's Hot Sauce on just about everything. Learned that from my DFnL. Had to do something to make him 'like' me ... DMnL cooked rice for every meal (or used left-over rice) to stretch eggs in the mornings.

DH is getting better about eating what I am eating; he has his 'big' meal in the middle of the day so he isn't starving when he gets home.

Well, ladies ... chat with you later! CHOW!
    Lenora
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,380 Member
    Options
    Did an hour of Patrick Goudeaus Dumb Training and Play Ball DVD. I wasn't very impressed with this DVD and probably won't do it again. The plan for tomorrow is to do a bosu DVD.

Need to go to Aldi, told Vince we can go after he gets up and has breakfast. AC Moore has a coupon for 55% off and I need more icing bags so I might get them. I bet Vince wants to stop there on the way to Aldi's. It's supposed to be in the high 90's today so I'll go in the pool while Vince stays in the house. Need to make the fruit salad to take to the end-of season bowling party and the dip for the veges that I'm taking. That's one reason we need to go to Aldi's. I'll get some carrots and cut them up, we need grape tomatoes so I'll take some, maybe I'll get a zucchini and cut that up. Whatever's left I'll eat. Update: totally forgot the carrots. But we need to go to WalMart tomorrow to get some veggies (broccoli, cauliflower, sugar snap peas) and I'll get it from them. WM's produce isn't that good, but I guess we'll live.

Mary from MN - yes, the original recipe called for the small box. Next time I'm going to try the larger box. Bet it'll come out great. Took some of the cake with the smaller box to ceramics yesterday night. One of the gals who runs the ceramics place asked me for the recipe since it's easy and very chocolately.

Cheri - when I get a grease stain on something, I usually put talcum powder on it. The talcum absorbs the grease like I'm sure Dawn does. When I get some, maybe I'll try it on perspiration stains. What's the worst that can happen? Nothing? Then I'm no worse off than I was

Karen in VA - stop apologizing for the cake!!!! Vince ate it and liked it. Like I said, even the lady at ceramics asked for the recipe. What a nice post you made to Dorothy. Dorothy - I agree with everything Karen said, I'm just not as good with the words.

Speaking of ceramics, Vince finished the angel fish. I ordered it from the place in FL. It bothered me that she knew that I wanted to hang it on the pergola yet she sent me something that had a base. Fortunately, it's a small base so we can have it sit on one of the crossbeams (if that's what it's called) on the pergola. Bad news is that Vince needs to drill a hole in order to hang it up. Wish I'd known that it was something that you stand up. When it was in greenware I would have asked that they take off the base and put a hole in the back. Well...that's OK. I'm starting on my seaturtle that I got from the place in VA. What a place!

Larissa in Seattle - so glad you're enjoying the job

Dorothy - welcome! Yes, I have gone back to my old ways once (well, maybe more than once). I remember last year around Christmas time I did, but, fortunately, menopause hadn't kicked in yet full-time so I was able to get the weight off in a few months. For me, I find that if I eat at night, I can be guaranteed of a gain. I try to have a cocoa/tofu blend or some applesauce if I absolutely need something. Wow! I can't remember when I was 108, maybe high school? or grade school?

Melanie Baton Rouge - actually, it's recommended that you have the bulk of your calories early in the day. This way you have more time to burn those calories off. Remember the saying "eat like a king for breakfast, a prince for lunch and a pauper for dinner". I bet Rori can give you some great suggestions, she's ALWAYS on the road so she knows the tricks of the trade

Cheri - I put a placemarker at the start of the row. Just a safety pin, but it marks where I start. My grandmother did this and I do it, too. But I'm still having trouble <sigh>. Maybe once I get back to driving (down to something like 47 more days to go! assuming nothing else happens), I can go to the Y. I understand that there is a crafting group of ladies, maybe some of them will help me. I THINK they start at 1 which will work out since I leave the Green Room on Thursdays around 12:30-45

Meg - feel better fast, hun

Re - woohoo on those pants!!!!

Carol/Peach - if I want my oven to be at, say, 350, it seems to take FOREVER to get to temperature. Vince showed me this trick and it really does work. I put the oven for 500, then when it reaches 350 I turn the oven off. then I turn it back on and it's preheated.

Marcelyn - you could always have put that snowblower on your front lawn as a decoration in Houston...lol

Exercised then went to AC Moore to return a decorating tip that I had and to get more decorating bags since they had 55% off one item. I never knew that if you returned something there and didn't have the receipt, they took 20% off the refund price. Oh well, live and learn. Then we went to Aldi, got veges and other things on my list. Came home to go in the pool then made a fruit salad to take to the end-of-season bowling party and the veggie dip for the veggies I'm taking. For some reason people seem to really like that Ranch dressing mix that you add to sour cream. To me, it's waaayyy to salty. Going to have dinner in a few. Then maybe watch the last episode of Person of Interest. Oh, Vince took me to Food Lion, I'd bought instant pudding instead of the cook & serve type so I needed to exchange it. Really, I think I bought the pudding at WalMart but I knew they'd exchange it for me.

Becca - your posts always make me smile, thanks. So glad there are only two spots for you to keep your eye on

Michele in NC
  • tryingtolive1
    tryingtolive1 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Just catching up on the posts. Love that so many people participate here. I have been busy with my dd wedding it's hard keeping up with all the posts. After Saturday maybe my life will have some sort of slow down. Still have trouble when I spend to much time alone so guess the busy days are good. Sorry I have not been able to respond to any of the posts and be supportive when any of you have needed it. Well off to pack for the weekend.

Anne from Wisconsin
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    Pip You've been #1 with us all along!

Karen in Virginia
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,083 Member
    Options
    Pip WTG!
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    Options
    Pip- fantastic! I always knew you were number one!

<3
  • pipcd34
    Options
    thanks guys!!
  • pipcd34
    Options
    stats for the day:
    ride hm 2 gym- 9.28min, 16.1amph, 138mhr, 2.5mi = 78c
    SPIN- 42min, 94ar, 51aw, 6-8g, 122mhr, 8.6mi = 266c
    ride gym 2 wk- 57.07min, 11.6amph, 152mhr, 11mi = 456c
    riding round the parking lot- 17.42min, 9amph, 111mhr, 2.6mi = 83c
    ride dome 2 hm- 19.34min, 7.9amph, 145mhr, 2.5mi = 181c
    total cal 1064
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Options
    Pip - wow lady, you are impressive!!!! But then we already knew that, huh? Great job.

Janetr okc