Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    KJ ~ Add my prayers to those of others!

Off to paint!

Carol
  • KJLaMore
    KJLaMore Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    Good morning all! Happy Thursday! Thank you for all of the kind words and prayers sent. I went up to the hospital last night after my kids got picked up. It's a 45 minute drive; (not too far) and I stayed with her for a couple hours. She was pretty out of it, but I was glad I was there. She opened her eyes once and seemed to see me and smiled a bit; but then was out again. The docs are confident that her fever will go down and they will be able to replace the drainage shunt (which was infected), but they are sure that this is the "beginning of the end". They (the docs) have called a family meeting for today at 1:00pm. My two oldest brothers and my younger brother will be there to receive information, ask questions, and make decisions. I am pretty sure a hospice situation is going to be discussed.
    A funny thing happened yesterday (well actually Tuesday night), I received a phone call from the mother of my "early bird". Mama lost her job; so her daughter won't be coming to daycare. I spent the evening looking at the budget with dh and trying to figure out how to make up the $500/month cut in income. Then, I got the news about my sis. It dawned on me last night, that not having to get up at 4:30am to begin my day with kids, is allowing me to have more time in the evening/driving to spend time with my sister. Everything happens for a reason. On top of that, I had two of my part time families e-mail me yesterday and ask if they could add extra days in daycare for this month (July). IN doing so, they have made up the difference that the loss of income from losing my "early bird". Just Crazy.
    Marcelyn- I love the pictures and the paintings! The girls look like they had a great time!
    Becca- Hang in there! Thoughts and prayers coming your way as your dh prepares for surgery.
    Pip and Re- Very proud of both of you and your accomplishments! You ladies are truly inspiring to me!

I will be checking in later tonight so I can make the switch to the July thread! Love and hugs to you all!
  • Lilymay2
    Lilymay2 Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    Goals for June
    - 125 miles
    - 10 days over 10,000 steps
    - Log food !!

Not doing so good - but will make 100 miles this month. Only 5 over 10,000 so far... better on logging food but still needs work.

It is a long weekend for me.... Canada Day on Friday. I am off to pick up our little granddaughter (almost 3 years old) so will be a busy couple of days. Hopefully her little sister or brother makes an entrance into the world this weekend. I am good at watching the snacks when the grand kids are around... after all we don't want to spoil their appetites for their meals !! And our youngest son turns 28 this weekend too! I am making the potatoes for the that party..... And I have a summer cold - good grief!!!

Lillian in West Central Saskatchewan
  • melaniemetoyer
    melaniemetoyer Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Good Morning ladies... still have been unable to walk this week. #2 granddaughter's summer day camp is on my way to work so she's been staying with me these last two weeks <3 , but, that doesn't allow me the time to walk in the morning before work :( I also must admit that I DID have a spoonful of HER ice cream, and I'm not REALLY a sweets person LOL!!! Haven't been on the road this week but WILL be tomorrow. Have an audit in the Big Easy (New Orleans) Hate going to New Orleans for work. Spring or fall weekends are my favorite time to go just to go as the HEAT in the middle of the summer is suffocating!
    Thought staying in the office would make my eating choices easier, as I could pack my lunch (i.e grapes, watermelon, plenty of water), but I'm finding that's not necessarily so, especially if I don't pack it the night before. Anyway, my prayer is that all is well with each of you. I especially pray for the young lady whose sister is very ill, and the lady whose husband had surgery Jake(???). Forgive me but I'm so new to this and it will take me a little time to learn all of your names and your individual stories. Have a GREAT day!!!!
    ~Melanie~
    Baton Rouge
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    PIP This is the day!
  • Charleen2
    Charleen2 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    My June goals were:
    • my main goal is to stay under my calorie goal and not eat back my excerse calories
    • and finally weight myself to see where I am on this journey.

Well I did finally weigh myself and can say I lost 2.5lbs this month. I've gotten better about not eating back my exercise calores so I will declare success and move on to my July challenges.

My stress reliever is to go to my quilting room and make something.

Charleen in Colorado (Hoping I finally get some rain today)
  • Marcelynh
    Marcelynh Posts: 974 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Stress relievers:
    #1 on my list is wrestling on the floor with my 5 yr old grandson. He's big enough to be challenging but not big enough to cause Grandma pain. Yes, I am "that" grandma that gets down on the floor and is most unladylike. The grandma on the other side of the family thinks I am crazy and setting a bad example. Oh well, I am who I am. :wink:
    #2 would be walking. If I am stressed I just go out and walk and walk and walk

Then add in gardening and mowing and digging in the garden. Actually anything that is physical and doesn't let me sit and think is stress relieving. Definitely not going out and spending money. I have a friend who swears it is a stress reliever and I don't think she is adding in the additional stress of never having any money because she's always out spending it. She just creates stress.

"When you’re finished changing, you’re finished.” ~ Benjamin Franklin

Marcelyn in Houston
    (it's HOT today)
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,968 Member
    Options
    :) Jake is sitting in a chair and no longer attached to monitors or IVs or catheter but uncomfortable because of constipation from anesthesia

:)Lisacongrats to your hubby and his new job. You two are so talented

:)Allisonhappy birthday and enjoy your trip

:)Beccastress reducers for me are being active ---walking, dancing, riding the exercise bike and reading or watching TV ----while Jake was in surgery I walked and listened to an audio book
    <3 Barbie---right now in overcast Seattle
  • freidaws
    freidaws Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I missed yesterday's posts and had to catch up. It amazes me of the peaks and valleys of all of our lives.

Allie: I don't propose to give anyone advice. I've been in your shoes and when you get a "square belly full" you will step out of that narcissistic jerk's realm and live again. No one could tell me anything because I had my reasons; we all have our reasons for making the decisions we do. I didn't want to be a failure at marriage - again. So, I stayed. His passive aggressiveness and verbal abuse was constant, not to mention physical abuse. I kept it to myself....big mistake. So, I'm glad that you have all the support from these very insightful women, because that will get you through. None of us are perfect, but I came to learn when I loved myself enough to not "need" anyone else for my emotional survival, my fortitude began to emerge and I escaped. Tom will never change because he does not recognize that he has a personality disorder; one cannot change what he doesn't admit.

Joyce and Becca: I have only had a small experience with caring for a husband with a disability. My DH (I know H is husband, but what is D?) has Non-Hodgkin's Lymphoma. He has completed treatments of chemo, but was taken off due to the fact that the oncologist felt more chemo at this time may actually kill him. So, we are waiting for him to gain some weight and strength, and actually I think he's doing better as he has gained some weight, but he has some way to go. During the four months of chemo, he would lose so much strength he would get somewhat paralyzed. Those were tough times, but we do what we have to do, and you both are real Champions in the care that you give. Your stories are interesting.....I am not quite retirement age and still work. I represent people at hearings before administrative law judges for SSA disability. I've done this type of work since I was 32, and I'm 64 in July. What insight you ladies give me in the activities of daily living in these two instances. I love the stories as it give me knowledge for future clients I may have. I did just have a client about six months ago with an ileostomy and I had really no clue as to what he goes through with that, combined with other impairments. I tip my hat to both of you.

Re? If I could get in a size 20 pair of jeans, I'd feel like Miss America! Good job. The best validation ever of your hard work.

Hope you all have a wonderful day!!!

Freida

• ljdw99
    ljdw99 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    This is a test did what MFP suggested as a fix

June Goals
    Hatha Yoga...25 min 6/wk✔️
    Stretch ...15 min 1/wk✔️
    Free weights...15 min 6/wk✔️
    Core...5 min 6/wk...upped to 15 min
  • ljdw99
    Options
    Sorry I guess I'll just stop trying. I can read all your posts & that's helpful in my journey.
    GLo very frustrated on the North Shore, Ma
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Options
    My June goals are below (with results for the month)

3 days a week weight resistance training (I have done fairly well with this, only missing one day here and there)
    3 days a week cardio work (same as above)
    Increase my daily steps (not much progress, on cardio days its good on workout days I'm not getting in many steps)
    Faithfully log everything I eat (this comes and goes in spurts, still fighting late night snacking)

We will be going to Denver the end of July for one of my sister's 50th anniversary celebration. It's giving me incentive to stick to my goals.

Janetr okc
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    Last day of JUNE! EEeek!

Arrived home past midnight last night. A very successful trip to Texas. We were able to secure a lovely small home to rent for the year. The hubs signed all pertinent papers pertaining to his position at Texas A&M.

Busy taking pictures of things in the house we are selling to put on Craigslist. We had great success doing this when we moved from Indiana to Ohio. Downsizing frees the spirit!!!! Will be picking up the puppers from the kennel in a bit. She has been away from the home more than in it for the month of JUNE! We interviewed a vet and boarding facility for her down in our new hometown. She doesn't know of the LONG car trip coming up at the end of the month. She travels well.

Up a few pounds this morning but probably due to bloat as I cannot even get my rings off! Lots of water and protein today. We are in "eating down what's in the pantry/fridge/freezer mode now. Some interesting meals coming our way. LOL

Will take some time later tonight to try and read back through the posts. In the meantime sending hugs, love and kisses for all in need!

Cheri
    back in oHIo for 5 more weeks
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,647 Member
    Options
  • megblair1
    megblair1 Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    Hi ladies. Well the Beagle is better a little. He came home last night and wolfed down food and was very perky, but very confused. His liver enzymes are quite high and it’s affecting his brain. He’s back at the vet’s today since he’s still if off all his meds.

We got 3 ½ inches of rain and some hail last night. They postponed the college World Series final until tonight.

DH is going to tell Tanya she can come over tonight and we can go over some options for her; don’t remember if I told you but one night while we were gone she texted us at about 2 a.m. wanting to move back home. So the answer to that is no, but we can help her find resources. She won’t do it though.

KJLaMore: sending healing wishes your way for you and your sister and whole family! I’m so sorry about this turn of events. I hope whatever decisions need to be made are made with a peaceful heart.

Mary: good for you to get that workout in!

Re: you look mahvelous! Those jeans are great!

Barbie: glad to hear Jake is safely out of surgery and seems to be doing well!

Becca: good luck to hubby with the operation. Can the nurses find you a cot or recliner for his room?

Heather: hope by unloading that guilt you got rid of it!

Allie: happy birthday!

Rori: hi! You are right about that…most people would not be willing to give a pet all those meds and special diet. I guess I got what I was looking for when we adopted a “special needs” pet!

Michele: no I have never used a pill shooter but might need to invest in one! Benny has always been so good about taking pills. Just wrap them up in a little piece of turkey and it eats them right up. In fact, he comes running to the sound of pill bottles rattling! I’m not sure how he would react to 14 pills at once in the pill shooter though! Or just imagine shooting him 14 times in one sitting!. Last night he did eat some turkey (no pills) so maybe he won’t be a problem once we start medicating him again. Yes, I’d love the information though. It’s a great option! Thanks!

Joyce: don’t give up on getting that bag to stay on…many people have trouble until they find the one thing that works for them.

Lisa: congrats to hubby! I agree with what you said in your post. You are wise.

OK gals I have got to get some work done now! Take care all, Meg from Omaha where we are managing both the college world series and Olympic swim trials right next door to each other! Crazy traffic though.
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Michele & Barbie: I am responding to a comment you made to Barbie about hospital patients getting better food than is in the cafeteria. When DH had his stroke few years ago he was in the hospital for several days. The food he got from the hospital kitchen was four-star quality. The cafeteria was not in the same universe. I know because I ate in the cafeteria. :noway:

Karen: I know a lot of women who color to reduce stress, and I've seen coloring books for grown ups at the grocery store check out lane. It is a great way to focus on something other than worries. I tend to walk the dog, ride my recumbent bike in the garage or knit to relieve stress. I can knit a year's supply of dishrags if I'm feeling stressed. Sometimes I do yoga to reduce stress, but not often. Most of the time I do yoga only in class but because I practice yoga several times a week in class I think my overall stress load is down. :flowerforyou:

Lisa: It sounds like things are working out for you and your DH. :star: Good luck finding the right RV. I had fantasies of living on a ranch when I was a horse-crazy little girl. Not any more. Living on acreage near town is a whole other prospect & I can imagine that as more pleasant. DH grew up on acreage right on the outskirts of his hometown. His sister lives there now. :bigsmile:

Lillian: You are a busy woman. I hope the summer cold goes away, pronto. :smiley:

Marcelyn: I agree with you. Spending money causes stress; it doesn't relieve it at all. :noway: I suspect that the shopping is the stress reliever for her because she enjoys the "hunt" for something new. I could be totally off base. :ohwell:

Barbie: It sounds like Jake is doing great. Yay! :heart: :flowerforyou: :heart:

Freida: D in DH stands for dear, darling, darned or d*mned. Depends on the situation. :wink: :devil:

Today we plan to work on getting the boat ready to go for the Fourth of July weekend. We plan to take the dog and go to a nearby anchorage that is away from crowds and fireworks. We haven't been on the boat for an overnight in just over a year. I hope for a successful trip that DH enjoys enough so that he wants to go again.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

Tibetan proverb: "The secret to living well and long is: Eat half, walk double, laugh triple and love without measure..."

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    Options
    Stronglifts Rest Day

Kettlebell Swing

Goblet squat-4X5X 35
    Russian kettle bell swing-19 X7X 35

Week three of transitioning to the 35 pound kettle bell. I guess I will have to get ready to buy the next size up!

Walk 1,000 Miles Challenge

I have already hit my goal of 125 miles for the month of June. I will be out mowing my lawn today so should get another 5 miles in.
    ljdw99 wrote: »
    Sorry I guess I'll just stop trying. I can read all your posts & that's helpful in my journey.
    GLo very frustrated on the North Shore, Ma

Hang in there! It will get better!

Meg- i'm so glad to hear that Benny is doing well today.

Barbie - i'm glad that Jake is up in sitting. If he has any pain now it is probably from the incision site. I know when my mom had her surgery she thought that the doctor made it worse than before because she hurt really bad. But as soon as the incision site healed she was pain-free.

Have a great day everyone!

<3

Mary from Minnesota
  • IremiaRe
    IremiaRe Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    Hello, Wonderful Women!

KJ - I certainly don't deserve to be mentioned in the same breath with Pip - she is my hero. But thank you... and I am thinking good thoughts for whatever time you have left with your Sister. Treasure every moment that she is truly with you.

I have to run - I will check in from work.

Hugs for everybody!

Re in TX
  • ljdw99
    Options
    ✔️