WOMEN ages 50+ FOR JULY 2016

Options

Replies

• KJLaMore
    KJLaMore Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    Good morning, all! Happy Tuesday! My little early bird arrival's mama got a new job, so early bird is not so early and also not here every morning. Which gives me time to swim or walk in the morning, alone. So that is what I did this morning. Walked the two miles down to the pool and swam laps for 30 minutes and walked the two miles home. Much easier in the morning now that the temps have cooled again.
    Re:You are not the Puffy Princess! You are an amazing source of inspiration! You got this and we are beginning a new week! Here are my stats for this week. I was up four pounds last week, but I stuck with it and am down a pound this week! Yeah! I think if I get my carbs under control, I could make this easier on myself!

STARTING WEIGHT: 205
    CURRENT WEIGHT: 208
    TOTAL LBS LOST OR GAINED (THIS WEEK): -1
    TOTAL LBS LOST OR GAINED (ALL WEEKS): +3
    GOAL WEIGHT: 180
    TOTAL LBS AWAY FROM GOAL: 28

Joyce- So sorry to hear about Charlie! Hope he is feeling better soon and getting some relief! Glad you are already scheduled to see a doctor. Waiting to see the doctor seems to make it all harder. Love and hugs to you
    NYKaren - Sending prayers for strength and peace for you my friend.
    Lisa- You are so busy all of the time! Glad you know about the iron deficiency and are able to control/get what you need! Hope you are feeling on top of things soon!
    Chris in MA- What a good son you have! To mom's rescue with a "substitute" car to use, so that you don't have to cancel your plans on the cape!
    Allie- I think you need to put everything/everyone else on the back burner and take your brother up on his cottage offer! You need some time for you!
    Glo-Love the garden shed and flowers! So cute! I think I could vacation there!
    DJ- So sorry to hear about your friend! Love and hugs to you. <3
    Barbie- I hope the docs can figure out the problem with your legs/back/nerves. Good that you are not in pain when you are moving; but you can't always move! Hope you find some relief soon!

Sending love and hugs to any that need them and that I forgot to mention. <3
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    Options
    KarenE- great explanation!

Chris - it is one of the best exercises for toning! The amount of time you put in compared to the results achieved is amazing! Great NSV!

<3

Mary from Minnesota
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,342 Member
    Options
    Hi all!
    I'm back from yoga and the "party" for the 80 year old. I did have a piece of cake, but only had 125 calories for lunch, so not a complete disaster.I will do some kettlebell swings this afternoon to earn some more calories.

Here is a pic of me and the birthday girl at yoga. Sorry it's a bit dark

zyxs4u0art1a.jpg

She is incredible for her age, with a mother of 103.

Joyce - I hope your consultation with the medic is reassuring. I'm sure you want this to turn a corner. :flowerforyou:

I had a look at the Duolingo German this morning. They reckon I'm 2% fluent in German. :laugh:

DH out this afternoon at one day cricket. I will watch an Italian film.

Love Heather xxxxxxxxxx
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    Good morning everyone!

We had a wonderful weekend visiting my parents, brother (and family) and sister in Indiana. If I was in shock that my husband went on this visit with me I almost fainted when he allowed my mother to hug him on the driveway as we were leaving! He said she thanked him for bringing me home to visit and it was good seeing him. Our son drove down from Chicago for a long day visit which made his grandparents so very happy. I truly am blessed.

uymjb5mmvvbd.jpg
    My sister Debbie and myself. We share a birthday, January 17th, just one year apart. Her in 1960 and myself in 1959!

I will read through the thread later today but I hope all is well with y'all!

Hubs just left to take the Honda CR-V in for a big check-up and will return with a loaner car for about 4 hours. We will discuss the plan for the day at that point. In the meantime I can sit for a bit and enjoy a cup of coffee. We are in the home stretch here as a week from Thursday the moving van shows up.

We have had several showings on the house since lowering the price. Had an offer but it was ridiculously low that nothing came of it. Why realtors show their clients homes they clearly cannot afford is beyond me. Looks like we will be leaving the area without a contract. Not the worst situation but it would have been nice.

You are in my thoughts and prayers!

Cheri
    on the verge of leaving Fairlawn, oHIo
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    <3
  • summertime19
    summertime19 Posts: 57 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    @cityjaneLondon I've been looking at Amazon, the Lindens beetroot comes from Yorkshire. LoL...3500mg , 50 caplets are a whopping $10.19. I will have to look for another brand. Looks like there are a few others that might be good.
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    Glo ~ Love the picture of your little house with the beautiful flowers.

NY Karen ~ Good thoughts for you and bless you for helping your OS. The bath looks wonderful.

Cherie ~ Great picture of you and your sis. You two could be twins. It was nice that your DH was able to visit with your parents too!

Heather ~ Your 80 yr old friend looks so fit and lovely.

Barbie ~ I am so sorry about your leg pain. I hope the docs can come up with a plan that will help.

Joyce ~ We are all thinking of you and Charlie.

We kept the 4 & 6 yr old yesterday. They have so much energy. Took them to North Point Mall in Roswell where they had a blast riding the merry-go-round, eating at Chic Filet, and shopping for new outfits at Penny's. The 4 yr old girl kept disappearing and I had to talk to her about that. At my house they loved riding a skate board and skooter down the side road beside my house. The boy loves to play games on the computer and the girl colors pictures that I print off the computer. I certainly know why children are for the young! LOL

Carol
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,686 Member
    Options
    morning peeps!

the end of the month will b coming b4 u no it! come on legs, don't fail me now!
  • CSSJ09
    CSSJ09 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Tracie I WI
    Good morning!

CJ: I love the ice cube tray of mashed berries idea! Thank you for sharing that. I struggle with water intake.
    Thank you

grandmallie Please add my prayers for Faith and Jean.

Cauliflower casserole
    One large head of Cauliflower
    One cup of unsweetened, unflavored plain Greek yogurt. If using commercial, I use real Greek yogurt by Fage. You can also make your own thick yogurt by taking 16 oz of unflavored, unsweetened plain yogurt and straining it in cheesecloth overnight. I tie it up and hang it over the sink faucet to drain. Squeeze out the liquid. You will be left with a cup.
    Freshly grated nutmeg, if you can't find it, use already grated in the jars.
    Salt
    Freshly grated black pepper.
    One egg, well beaten.
    One cup bread crumbs. Make your own by grating whole wheat or a hearty, unflavored, unsweetened toast. The prepared crumbs don't work as well.

Separate Cauliflower into florets. If florets are very large, cut them into 2 to 3 inch chunks. Do same for stems. Do not use hard end of core.
    Steam until al dente or slightly soft.
    Drain. Place in large bowl and cool until it can be handled.
    Combine yogurt and beaten egg and 1/2 t salt and pepper and 1/2 cup bread crumbs and 1/4 t nutmeg.
    Add mixture to Cauliflower and mix thoroughly, being sure to coat all the florets. Try not to mash up the florets as you mix in.
    Pre heat oven to 350 F. Or 177 C.
    Place in large covered baking dish that has been lightly buttered or use olive oil. Do not use margarine or Crisco or artificial coatings or bacon greece.
    Add 1/4 t nutmeg and pepper to remaining bread crumbs and sprinkle on top.
    Bake covered for 30 minutes or until mixture forms nice cassarole texture. Uncover and continue baking for 10 to 15 minutes or until you have a nice crust. Serve immediately. It is also great as a cold dish. You do need to watch to make sure you do not either burn or get too watery texture. I like firm texture, but everyone's tastes are different and sometimes the water content of the Cauliflower is not as expected.
    I hope you enjoy.
    Experiment with seasoning. Sometimes I use other spices or more nutmeg and pepper.

The books you recommended sound helpful.

CJ
  • fanncy0626
    Options
    Stronglifts Rest Day

Kettlebell Swing
    Week three, day one, increase the reps from 7 to 10 using the 35 pound kettle bell.
    Goblet squat-3X5X 35
    Russian kettle bell swing-16 X 10 X 35
    I can feel that the kettle bell is heavy especially when I carry it to my workout spot. I can also feel the weight of it when I am doing the goblet squat. I maintain excellent form when I do the Russian kettle bell swing where I have my muscles prepared for the swing. It does not feel heavy during this time however, for the first time ever I am starting to work up a sweat which has not happened before with the lighter weight kettle bell.

NYKaren- beautiful bathroom!

Heather - great picture of you and your friend!

Cheri- you and your sister look like you could be twins if you had the same hair color! Great picture!

<3

Mary from Minnesota
  • miakoda40
    miakoda40 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Miriam - Hooray for your cover up NSV!

Barbie - I hope you manage to get some answers about your legs soon. This does not sound like a good situation.

DJ - So sorry for the loss of your friend.
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    Jazzercise - 1 hour

Goblet Squat 3x5x10
    Russian Kettlebell Swing 5x10x15
    Deadlift 1x10x25

I took 2 rest days after my first "official" Kettlebell workout due to thigh soreness. I was surprised to find I had more "spring" for Jazzercise this morning - I am crediting Kettlebell routine.

Karen in Virginia

<3
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,686 Member
    Options
    exermom- I guess I don't have to use one of their handkerchiefs, but theirs has MS all over it.
  • fanncy0626
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Kettle bell
    Wanted to point a couple things out to everybody about doing a kettle bell routine. If you want to get the full effects of doing this, there are some fundamental requirements.
    1. Even though I say you can start at a very light weight you do need to do what is called a progressive overload. Where you will be adding weight or more reps each time you finish the five-week program. I went from 10 pounds and am now at 35 pounds and that was since last November.
    2. Do not do more then the program sets and reps. Unless, you are trying to figure out your heaviest starting weight. I started at a 10 pound weight doing single arm swings. I did that because I wasn't sure I wanted to invest in a kettle bell. In reality I should have started with a 20 pound kettle bell doing a double arm swing. At my age it is recommended to do the double arm swing.
    3. If you are just doing lightweight and not considering adding weight and going to the heavier kettle bell it will still be a toning exercise but you will not get the benefit of the 20 calorie per minute burn.
    4. I also know that there are some women that like to go really hard and do more than the program suggest, this could cause injury or excessive muscle soreness. If you feel that you're not getting a good enough workout then increase the weight amount not the # of sets or reps.
    5. The only change in the basic program that I would suggest is to do goblet squats and the single arm press if you do not want to do pull-ups. This is on the day between the kettle bell swings. It is also OK to do kettle bell swings every day, so if you would like to do goblet squats and Kettlebell swings 6-7 days a week it would be ok. I suggest that if you are new to any exercise that you always start out slow that's why I again posted a link to the five-week program.

http://www.muscleandfitness.com/workouts/workout-routines/5-week-whole-body-single-kettlebell-workout

<3

Mary from Minnesota
  • fanncy0626
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Also, expect to possibly gain water weight because of muscle repair that requires water. And don't right away increase your calories because of the high calorie burn. I would say that the high calorie burn would not take effect until you are close to your max weight of the kettle bell. I think that I personally hit mine when I went from the 30 pound to the 35 pound. I started losing 4 pounds per week without changing my diet at all. Now however, I had to increase my calories because I do not want to lose weight that quickly. I would suggest that you weigh yourself daily as well as your food intake, log every bite, don't eat your exercise calories back for the kettle bell at this point, then after a week or two you should be able to tell how this exercise is affecting your weight. Take your measurements immediately. Then in the same timeframe retake your measurements in two weeks and look at the data.

<3

Mary from Minnesota
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,342 Member
    Options
    Today I used my real kettlebell for the first time! It's 8kg - about 18 lbs.
    I did 10 x 10 x 18
    I could tell I was working, definitely "glowing" and slightly out of breath, but no ill effects. It's great to have on yoga days. I'm going to do it every other day. The alternate days I use my dumbells for my arms.
    Really delighted to have this as an addition to my routine. I may eventually be able to cut down the amount of time I spend on my machines. Thank you, Mary!

Heather
  • fanncy0626
    Options
    Heather - You are doing remarkable!
  • summertime19
    summertime19 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    @fanncy0626 Your kettlebells sound intriguing and very popular here! I would love to get into a structured program. Thanks for posting the info!