Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Fast food and obesity

Options

Replies

• ouryve
    ouryve Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    This article might be interesting in light of this discussion...http://www.mass.gov/eohhs/docs/dmr/nutrition-portion-distortion.pdf. We choose what we eat, but our culture has also done a major shift in the distortion of sizes of any food. Is fast food to blame? I love fast food, but have had to drastically cut back, not necessarily because of the calorie counts, but because of the sodium count. Fast food can be nutritious, but again, it comes down to what and how much we choose to eat. Just my two cents, anyway.

That article is a load of nonsense. 20 years ago, single serving bottles of pop were 500ml, here, just like today. And the basil with the meatballs magically grew.

It's like the published nonsense suggesting that a single portion of ready meal cottage pie used to be 200g. Nope. I remember it being 300g in the 80s/90s and we had it with chips (fries) on the side and a load of baked beans.These days, the 400g cottage pie is more likely to be served with just the beans (or even veg, actual veg!)
  • ouryve
    Options
    auddii wrote: »
    Hm, considering the hamburger is German in origin, that surprises me. And honestly, I'd think the more common associate is for uniquely American items, like apple pie.

Wiki tells me the national food in the US includes hamburgers, hot dogs, apple pie, fried chicken, buffalo wings, and mac and cheese.

Those 9 year olds know what's up.

Although I was surprised to see mac and cheese on pretty much every menu I saw in Scotland. I guess it's an easy vegetarian option?

My youngest doesn't have school dinners, but for the brief period my oldest did, the veggie options on the 4 week menu included 5 days of macaroni cheese and as many of "baked potato with [baked] beans or cheese"

In England, the default pub lunch veggie option is "vegetarian lasagna" with goat's cheese and beetroot tart or mushroom risotto appearing on the more sophisticated menus.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    OK sorry.... crappy salads. Truly crappy to me and probably many others, and very fatty..... Mom used to do this. Plain mayonnaise on top and lots of it. Not even miracle whip, plain mayo.

*shudders*
  • ouryve
    Options
    Karb_Kween wrote: »
    One time I had a chicken sandwich over doused with mayo and gained 5 lbs over night

The struggle is real folks

Not every item of FF is created equal as the last, and also the maker of your food might click mayo pump more than once

You don't take it back because there's too much mayo do you?

No you eat it,

As the mayo, tomato and meat juice dribbles over the side of your bun, falling onto the food wrapper you're holding it over

You get a fry and dip it into the mayo, tomato juice cocktail

You're in fat, salt and sugar Heaven

Caloric Hell

if the mayo weighed 5lb, I'm surprised you could even eat it.
  • Sloth2016
    Sloth2016 Posts: 846 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    auddii wrote: »
    Hm, considering the hamburger is German in origin, that surprises me. And honestly, I'd think the more common associate is for uniquely American items, like apple pie.

Wiki tells me the national food in the US includes hamburgers, hot dogs, apple pie, fried chicken, buffalo wings, and mac and cheese.

Those 9 year olds know what's up.

Although I was surprised to see mac and cheese on pretty much every menu I saw in Scotland. I guess it's an easy vegetarian option?

I always thought it was sushi. Cuz sushi. ;)
  • selina884
    selina884 Posts: 826 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Gamliela wrote: »
    The series Superfat to Superskinny was one. At least I think thats what it was called.
    They took obese UK people over to the US and had them see Americans homhad been obese for years, were undergoing surgery and all the problems like, wheelchairs, special medical teams and beds for the obese etc.
    It did seem to help th UK people get the motivation to lose weight before it got any worse.

The UK doesn't have any morbidly obese people of their own they could've used?

not to the extreme levels of what you have.
    However we have an "Obesity crisis" (still incomparable to you) and the country is trying to do something about it which is commendable.

Over the last 10 years, the country started with tackling schools to ensure nutritious meals are provided to children and Jamie Oliver is to salute for this. He started the trend.

Just today it was announced on the radio that all of the food retail businesses have a responsibility to reduce salt/sugar by 20% over the next 5 years. Good or bad, I don't know but it's an attempt to move forward.

..and there might be more but I am not versed on everything.

Also, we DONT use Americans as an example to motivate ourselves. We do have a growing concern here and there are several programs on TV that bring awareness to that using brits as an example.

However big and successful documentaries from the states do get aired here for educational/awareness.
    There's certain things where the UK cannot compare itself to America and I will not deny it!
  • selina884
    Options
    selina884 wrote: »
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    it's a lack of education if anything.

I'm sorry, but does anyone really think eating a couple Big Macs, giant order of fries and a giant Coke at lunch is good for them?

'good' or not is a different matter, but eating mcdonalds doesn't make someone obese... eating too many calories does.

Understand, that was why my example was of a 1500 calorie + lunch. A Big Mac side salad (light on dressing) and Diet Coke not so bad. It's how much one eats. And I would be pretty sure most people know the 2 Big Mac lunch in my example is too much.

Why diet coke as opposed to normal coke?

You are kidding - sugar is a killer

You'll find that the chemicals in diet coke are generally more harmful than sugar which comes from a natural plant.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    it's a lack of education if anything.

I'm sorry, but does anyone really think eating a couple Big Macs, giant order of fries and a giant Coke at lunch is good for them?

'good' or not is a different matter, but eating mcdonalds doesn't make someone obese... eating too many calories does.

Understand, that was why my example was of a 1500 calorie + lunch. A Big Mac side salad (light on dressing) and Diet Coke not so bad. It's how much one eats. And I would be pretty sure most people know the 2 Big Mac lunch in my example is too much.

Why diet coke as opposed to normal coke?

You are kidding - sugar is a killer

You'll find that the chemicals in diet coke are generally more harmful than sugar which comes from a natural plant.

Really? How so?
  • selina884
    Options
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    Gamliela wrote: »
    The series Superfat to Superskinny was one. At least I think thats what it was called.
    They took obese UK people over to the US and had them see Americans homhad been obese for years, were undergoing surgery and all the problems like, wheelchairs, special medical teams and beds for the obese etc.
    It did seem to help th UK people get the motivation to lose weight before it got any worse.

The UK doesn't have any morbidly obese people of their own they could've used?

not to the extreme levels of what you have.
    However we have an "Obesity crisis" (still incomparable to you) and the country is trying to do something about it which is commendable.

Over the last 10 years, the country started with tackling schools to ensure nutritious meals are provided to children and Jamie Oliver is to salute for this. He started the trend.

Just today it was announced on the radio that all of the food retail businesses have a responsibility to reduce salt/sugar by 20% over the next 5 years. Good or bad, I don't know but it's an attempt to move forward.

..and there might be more but I am not versed on everything.

Also, we DONT use Americans as an example to motivate ourselves. We do have a growing concern here and there are several programs on TV that bring awareness to that using brits as an example.

However big and successful documentaries from the states do get aired here for educational/awareness.
    There's certain things where the UK cannot compare itself to America and I will not deny it!

The ignorance and offensiveness of the bolded is just astounding.

Yes, our numbers are worse but they are in no way incomparable. America has an obesity problem just like most of the industrialized world but we're not a population made up exclusively of obese slobs like you continue to insinuate.

You're assuming what I am insinuating by picking up a few words and throwing them out of context.

Your problem.

• Gamliela
    Gamliela Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    I've gone on holiday and travelled in the UK a few times. I didn't see any difference in the size of people compared to when I've been back to the US.

I hink, looking a the graph of obesity in the countries listed that unless we compare the top to the lowest, its not really that impressive of a difference. I mean obesity is a problem to those who suffer from it period, and it happens world wide, even in Japan.

Side note, I think the wikipedia list of obeseity in nations includes the category 'oceana' or something like that.

It tops the list, evidently Island people have the highest rate of obesity, knocking the US on the present graph down a notch, for those who care about graphs and things.