Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Fast food and obesity

Options

Replies

• Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    selina884 wrote: »
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    it's a lack of education if anything.

I'm sorry, but does anyone really think eating a couple Big Macs, giant order of fries and a giant Coke at lunch is good for them?

'good' or not is a different matter, but eating mcdonalds doesn't make someone obese... eating too many calories does.

Understand, that was why my example was of a 1500 calorie + lunch. A Big Mac side salad (light on dressing) and Diet Coke not so bad. It's how much one eats. And I would be pretty sure most people know the 2 Big Mac lunch in my example is too much.

Why diet coke as opposed to normal coke?

You are kidding - sugar is a killer

You'll find that the chemicals in diet coke are generally more harmful than sugar which comes from a natural plant.

...explain
  • French_Peasant
    French_Peasant Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    Gamliela wrote: »
    The series Superfat to Superskinny was one. At least I think thats what it was called.
    They took obese UK people over to the US and had them see Americans homhad been obese for years, were undergoing surgery and all the problems like, wheelchairs, special medical teams and beds for the obese etc.
    It did seem to help th UK people get the motivation to lose weight before it got any worse.

The UK doesn't have any morbidly obese people of their own they could've used?

not to the extreme levels of what you have.
    However we have an "Obesity crisis" (still incomparable to you) and the country is trying to do something about it which is commendable.

Over the last 10 years, the country started with tackling schools to ensure nutritious meals are provided to children and Jamie Oliver is to salute for this. He started the trend.

Just today it was announced on the radio that all of the food retail businesses have a responsibility to reduce salt/sugar by 20% over the next 5 years. Good or bad, I don't know but it's an attempt to move forward.

..and there might be more but I am not versed on everything.

Also, we DONT use Americans as an example to motivate ourselves. We do have a growing concern here and there are several programs on TV that bring awareness to that using brits as an example.

However big and successful documentaries from the states do get aired here for educational/awareness.
    There's certain things where the UK cannot compare itself to America and I will not deny it!

The ignorance and offensiveness of the bolded is just astounding.

Yes, our numbers are worse but they are in no way incomparable. America has an obesity problem just like most of the industrialized world but we're not a population made up exclusively of obese slobs like you continue to insinuate.

You're assuming what I am insinuating by picking up a few words and throwing them out of context.

Your problem.

It's no assumption that you have continued to speak of Americans as nothing but a bunch of fat hamburger gulpers.

In case you missed the addition I made to my above post, the overweight/obesity rates in our countries are within about 4% of each other. That's such a small difference that walking through the US would look just like walking through the UK in terms of how fat the people are.

yep. thats definitely an assumption but did you read the entire post?

It was a lead on from an ASSUMPTION made by your American brothers/sisters which as usual is almost always ignored.

One trend Ive noticed with some of you is that you tend to start on a person responding in defense and completely dissect and misinterpret sections as opposed to reading as a whole and understanding what that person maybe implying.

My post was overall positive, how did it become so negative? Because you found a FACT disturbing? That's beyond ridiculous.

I acknowledged a growing problem within my Country. You could've responded to that post with examples of how your country is trying to tackle the problem you have since you are pretty much on top of the charts. That would have been more educating but instead you are arguing over something so menial. Yeah 4% difference, yet that still doesn't deny that you have a higher risk/problem and considering your population size is greater, I suppose it comes across more saturated to some.

Getting defensive is silly and that is what you are doing.

PS - The charts, I remember. There are other charts too and you are still among the top 3. Boohoo. deal with it.

I want to discuss more about what each country is doing to stop this growing problem and not have to listen to a bunch of crybabies whinging and throwing their toys out.

Although it's not what you were saying here, I suspect he might be contextualizing what you said in other more explicitly unkind statements you have made about Americans and their culture, including on threads have have been deleted.

It is similar to Americans who callously make fun of English people's teeth, even though we have our fair share of teeth problems here: it's the pot calling the kettle black, and it is unkind.

America is certainly a land of extremes, on both ends of the spectrum. Perhaps when the British are brought over to observe grossly overweight people and their special beds and winches, they could also go to South Beach in Miami or Muscle Beach in Venice and do some observations there as well.

giphy.gif

[...snorts the non-South Beach kind of coke through nose when sees that gif...]
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    The series Superfat to Superskinny was one. At least I think thats what it was called.
    They took obese UK people over to the US and had them see Americans homhad been obese for years, were undergoing surgery and all the problems like, wheelchairs, special medical teams and beds for the obese etc.
    It did seem to help th UK people get the motivation to lose weight before it got any worse.

However we have an "Obesity crisis" (still incomparable to you) and the country is trying to do something about it which is commendable.

Over the last 10 years, the country started with tackling schools to ensure nutritious meals are provided to children and Jamie Oliver is to salute for this. He started the trend.

Just today it was announced on the radio that all of the food retail businesses have a responsibility to reduce salt/sugar by 20% over the next 5 years. Good or bad, I don't know but it's an attempt to move forward.

Also, we DONT use Americans as an example to motivate ourselves. We do have a growing concern here and there are several programs on TV that bring awareness to that using brits as an example.

However big and successful documentaries from the states do get aired here for educational/awareness.
    There's certain things where the UK cannot compare itself to America and I will not deny it!

Yes, our numbers are worse but they are in no way incomparable. America has an obesity problem just like most of the industrialized world but we're not a population made up exclusively of obese slobs like you continue to insinuate.

You're assuming what I am insinuating by picking up a few words and throwing them out of context.

Your problem.

It's no assumption that you have continued to speak of Americans as nothing but a bunch of fat hamburger gulpers.

In case you missed the addition I made to my above post, the overweight/obesity rates in our countries are within about 4% of each other. That's such a small difference that walking through the US would look just like walking through the UK in terms of how fat the people are.

yep. thats definitely an assumption but did you read the entire post?

It was a lead on from an ASSUMPTION made by your American brothers/sisters which as usual is almost always ignored.

One trend Ive noticed with some of you is that you tend to start on a person responding in defense and completely dissect and misinterpret sections as opposed to reading as a whole and understanding what that person maybe implying.

My post was overall positive, how did it become so negative? Because you found a FACT disturbing? That's beyond ridiculous.

I acknowledged a growing problem within my Country. You could've responded to that post with examples of how your country is trying to tackle the problem you have since you are pretty much on top of the charts. That would have been more educating but instead you are arguing over something so menial. Yeah 4% difference, yet that still doesn't deny that you have a higher risk/problem and considering your population size is greater, I suppose it comes across more saturated to some.

Getting defensive is silly and that is what you are doing.

PS - The charts, I remember. There are other charts too and you are still among the top 3. Boohoo. deal with it.

I want to discuss more about what each country is doing to stop this growing problem and not have to listen to a bunch of crybabies whinging and throwing their toys out.

Although it's not what you were saying here, I suspect he might be contextualizing what you said in other more explicitly unkind statements you have made about Americans and their culture, including on threads have have been deleted.

It is similar to Americans who callously make fun of English people's teeth, even though we have our fair share of teeth problems here: it's the pot calling the kettle black, and it is unkind.

America is certainly a land of extremes, on both ends of the spectrum. Perhaps when the British are brought over to observe grossly overweight people and their special beds and winches, they could also go to South Beach in Miami or Muscle Beach in Venice and do some observations there as well.

Bingo
  • PennWalker
    PennWalker Posts: 554 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options

I'm sorry, but does anyone really think eating a couple Big Macs, giant order of fries and a giant Coke at lunch is good for them?

'good' or not is a different matter, but eating mcdonalds doesn't make someone obese... eating too many calories does.

Understand, that was why my example was of a 1500 calorie + lunch. A Big Mac side salad (light on dressing) and Diet Coke not so bad. It's how much one eats. And I would be pretty sure most people know the 2 Big Mac lunch in my example is too much.

You'll find that the chemicals in diet coke are generally more harmful than sugar which comes from a natural plant.

Diet Coke tastes like somebody put gasoline in it.

• ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,365 Member
    Options
    PennWalker wrote: »

But taste has nothing to do with whether or not something is harmful to the body - I to am waiting for an explanation of the 'harmful' nature of the chemicals in diet coke...
  • Carlos_421
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »

Your problem.

When I'm explaining something to a group of 10 and 1 misunderstands, it is likely on them. When 8 misunderstand, it it my communication that needs to be evaluated.

Thing is, I don't think anyone misunderstood her.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options

Your problem.

When I'm explaining something to a group of 10 and 1 misunderstands, it is likely on them. When 8 misunderstand, it it my communication that needs to be evaluated.

But that is her claim, that people are twisting her words and/or misunderstanding and/or taking things out of context. When communication breaks down, it is often helpful to evaluate communication style and if the message you intend to send is actually conveyed through wording. Particularly online, where tone isn't obvious.
  • Carlos_421
    Options

Your problem.

But that is her claim, that people are twisting her words and/or misunderstanding and/or taking things out of context. When communication breaks down, it is often helpful to evaluate communication style and if the message you intend to send is actually conveyed through wording. Particularly online, where tone isn't obvious.

Yup.
  • PennWalker
    PennWalker Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    ccrdragon wrote: »

But taste has nothing to do with whether or not something is harmful to the body - I to am waiting for an explanation of the 'harmful' nature of the chemicals in diet coke...

I would respectfully disagree that taste has nothing to do with whether something is harmful to the body. Taste, like pain, is a natural way our body sends a message that something is not right. People override both by cultural conditioning but the basic body message is there.

Somebody else can take on the chemicals research.
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,365 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options

I would respectfully disagree that taste has nothing to do with whether something is harmful to the body. Taste, like pain, is a natural way our body sends a message that something is not right. People override both by cultural conditioning but the basic body message is there.

Taste may be true in some cases, it is not however a universal constant. 2 examples - ethylene glycol (anti-freeze) is toxic, but it is also incredibly sweet so people and animals will drink it and die as a result. Second example - axle grease - tastes salty to some animals, so if you were to leave an open bucket in a field with cows, they will lick it clean in a day (I have personal experience of this) - this is, by-the-way, really bad for the cows.

eta because spelling...
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options

Taste may be true in some cases, it is not however a universal constant. 2 examples - etylene glycol (anti-freeze) is toxic, but it is also incredibly sweet so people and animals will drink it and die as a result. Second example - axle grease - tastes salty to some animals, so if you were to leave an open bucket in a field with cows, they will lick it clean in a day (I have personal experience of this) - this is, by-the-way, really bad for the cows.

ethylene glycol (sorry, chemical grammar nazi)
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options

Taste is a very personal and subjective interpretation. What tastes awful to you may taste just fine to someone else. And just because you don't like the taste of something, doesn't also mean it's harmful in any way.

I don't like the taste of green pea soup. To *me* it tastes really nasty. It's a personal distinction and has nothing to do with the soup being harmful to the body because obviously it's not. It just tastes like death in a bowl. :)