The official nightshift thread....

Options

Replies

• BodyByBex
    BodyByBex Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    Well turns out we are NOT replacing our missing night shift person in the foreseeable future. In addition, there will be NO raises this year(to be reevaluated in February but I'm not holding my breath) and NO OVERTIME ANYMORE EVER.

I have few options open to me at this point, but the $hitty coworkers who complain when there is work, complain when there is no work, complain when they're told to sit around doing nothing, and complain when they're told to FIND work to do, compiled with the "not getting a raise" thing and the "you got a lower evaluation than someone who puts in less effort than you" thing all has me thinking I MIGHT apply for the job that will make me have an hour commute just to be SLIGHTLY happier.

I may still end up on nights, but not on or near a computer, I might like my coworkers a bit more, and the opportunity for upward mobility will definitely be better. Added bonus is I will be lifting a burden off of my sergeant's shoulders in the sense that we wouldn't have to worry about violating any policies if we decide to continue this "situationship" whilst I am working somewhere else.

My ONLY issue is I want to be able to make enough to pay for health insurance, pay the car payment, and pay rent, while saving a bit of money for other things.

The only job I REALLY see myself applying for right now is Amazon. They just opened a warehouse in San Marcos.

In other news, I paid off one of my student loans yesterday. Granted, it wasn't the one in collections... But it's something I don't have to worry about right now anymore. So that's good.
  • bethanie0825
    bethanie0825 Posts: 1,474 Member
    Options
    BodyByBex wrote: »
    Well turns out we are NOT replacing our missing night shift person in the foreseeable future. In addition, there will be NO raises this year(to be reevaluated in February but I'm not holding my breath) and NO OVERTIME ANYMORE EVER.

I have few options open to me at this point, but the $hitty coworkers who complain when there is work, complain when there is no work, complain when they're told to sit around doing nothing, and complain when they're told to FIND work to do, compiled with the "not getting a raise" thing and the "you got a lower evaluation than someone who puts in less effort than you" thing all has me thinking I MIGHT apply for the job that will make me have an hour commute just to be SLIGHTLY happier.

I may still end up on nights, but not on or near a computer, I might like my coworkers a bit more, and the opportunity for upward mobility will definitely be better. Added bonus is I will be lifting a burden off of my sergeant's shoulders in the sense that we wouldn't have to worry about violating any policies if we decide to continue this "situationship" whilst I am working somewhere else.

My ONLY issue is I want to be able to make enough to pay for health insurance, pay the car payment, and pay rent, while saving a bit of money for other things.

The only job I REALLY see myself applying for right now is Amazon. They just opened a warehouse in San Marcos.

In other news, I paid off one of my student loans yesterday. Granted, it wasn't the one in collections... But it's something I don't have to worry about right now anymore. So that's good.

That effing sucks like he!!. All that's going to do is drive morale down. I was working less than 20 mins away from my last job but I was miserable. I left for the job I have now, my drive time is 40-45 mins and I drive past that old job; I'm way happier.

I can't wait to get my student loans paid off. I'm in the same boat, make just enough to pay bills and get food and gas, with nothing going to savings. It's frustrating.
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options

That effing sucks like he!!. All that's going to do is drive morale down. I was working less than 20 mins away from my last job but I was miserable. I left for the job I have now, my drive time is 40-45 mins and I drive past that old job; I'm way happier.

I can't wait to get my student loans paid off. I'm in the same boat, make just enough to pay bills and get food and gas, with nothing going to savings. It's frustrating.

Wow that just blows. I hope it gets better for you. As for the Amazon gig I personally know someone who has done seasonal work in their warehouses for them. Depending on where you get placed, expect being on your feet a lot.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    Wow, hope it works out for you, BodyByBex. That's gotta be tough. I left a job at a bank because of co-worker/management drama.... so glad I did.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options

Wow, that's a lot of suck! It almost seems like they're TRYING to drive people out.
    I hope you find something you like better! It looks like I'll be on the job hunt myself shortly.
    Also, good job on the student loan!
  • jennifer_417
    Options
    lacroyx wrote: »
    Welp, looks like I might be night shifting again soon. Stay tuned...

63811412.jpg

LOL!
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Options
    No snow here, and it can stay that way as far as I'm concerned! This is the 1st day I've legitimately felt the need for a jacket.

Never any snow where I live. Doesn't even get cold.
  • sufferlandrian
    sufferlandrian Posts: 8,196 Member
    Options
    @BodyByBex - I couldn't agree more than driving an hour to be happy at your job is better than staying in a miserable job. I used to drive 3 hours to a job so I would be happy at work. Granted they were 15 hour shifts and I could knock out a weeks work in three days. However, being miserable spills in to so many parts of your life that it's not worth it.
  • astrocosmiczoom
    astrocosmiczoom Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I woke up at 6 pm, went to my birthday dinner, came home and fell asleep during normal-people hours. Oh, no. My schedule! Hahaha.
  • sufferlandrian
    Options
    What? That sounds like a normal schedule to me. :smile:
  • sufferlandrian
    Options
    Had to do a Tracheostomy on a Yorkie today. That never bodes well for the dog. Collapsing trachea at four years old.
  • BodyByBex
    Options
    lacroyx wrote: »

Wow that just blows. I hope it gets better for you. As for the Amazon gig I personally know someone who has done seasonal work in their warehouses for them. Depending on where you get placed, expect being on your feet a lot.

That's actually my preference.

I prefer the Bastrop Campus for work because the desk raises up and becomes a stand up desk. :smiley:

I also walk all over God's creation while I'm out here.

There is a 911 dispatcher position open here but I wonder about upward mobility options in a position like that and how I would handle the stress. :cold_sweat:
  • sufferlandrian
    Options
    You would handle the stress quite well. You have a level of maturity that would do well under stress. I'm not going to say every day would be fun, but you are quite good at taking stress and turning it in to something positive over time.
  • bethanie0825
    bethanie0825 Posts: 1,474 Member
    Options

I prefer the Bastrop Campus for work because the desk raises up and becomes a stand up desk. :smiley:

There is a 911 dispatcher position open here but I wonder about upward mobility options in a position like that and how I would handle the stress. :cold_sweat:

I have no doubt you could handle the stress! But if you like being mobile, then maybe not so much. I get an hour to take a day here but at my last job, we didn't. Every center is different. As for upward mobility, that depends on the center too. Some centers are more career focused; they have different positions such as console training officer and such. Where I'm at, there isn't. We have one supervisor for our entire center. They've spoke of adding shift supervisors but that's it really. The only other place to go from here would be to apply for director positions at other 911 centers. I could go to instructor school to teach as well.

It will give you much more of an idea of the crap that officers deal with day in and day out. Truthfully, I have a love/hate relationship with my job. I love that I've helped people with what is the hardest day of their lives. And I hate it bc I carry all of those days with me all the time. We rarely find out how the stories end. No one notices we're here unless we mess up. But we're always here for people. I take a lot of pride in my job. It's a job like no other, that's for sure :lol:
  • BodyByBex
    Options

I have no doubt you could handle the stress! But if you like being mobile, then maybe not so much. I get an hour to take a day here but at my last job, we didn't. Every center is different. As for upward mobility, that depends on the center too. Some centers are more career focused; they have different positions such as console training officer and such. Where I'm at, there isn't. We have one supervisor for our entire center. They've spoke of adding shift supervisors but that's it really. The only other place to go from here would be to apply for director positions at other 911 centers. I could go to instructor school to teach as well.

It will give you much more of an idea of the crap that officers deal with day in and day out. Truthfully, I have a love/hate relationship with my job. I love that I've helped people with what is the hardest day of their lives. And I hate it bc I carry all of those days with me all the time. We rarely find out how the stories end. No one notices we're here unless we mess up. But we're always here for people. I take a lot of pride in my job. It's a job like no other, that's for sure :lol:

I could always pay off my debts, save up, and find a nice strong person/s to help support me while I go back to school and I could do something else.

I will put in my applications everywhere I THINK I see possibility. So.... yeah!
  • sufferlandrian
    Options
    Gonna be another long night. I've got a dog that does really well here but goes to hell when we send it home. Then we spend the next night trying to put it back together again. I can't figure out what the owner is doing at home that is causing so many problems.
  • jennifer_417
    Options
    Got my resume updated today. Thinking about looking into some kind of security work...it has to be something where I can do homework on the job...I don't really wanna go back to hotel work, tbh.
  • jennifer_417
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Gonna be another long night. I've got a dog that does really well here but goes to hell when we send it home. Then we spend the next night trying to put it back together again. I can't figure out what the owner is doing at home that is causing so many problems.

That's really weird. You don't think it could be some kind of Munchaussen-by-proxy ( I probably badly misspelled that) with pets, do you?
  • BodyByBex
    Options
    Got my resume updated today. Thinking about looking into some kind of security work...it has to be something where I can do homework on the job...I don't really wanna go back to hotel work, tbh.

I could totally do homework on the job...until some idjit fell asleep on the night shift and now I have to do an area check every 30 minutes...that makes it hard.
  • BodyByBex
    Options

That's really weird. You don't think it could be some kind of Munchaussen-by-proxy ( I probably badly misspelled that) with pets, do you?

That would be HORRIBLE! :scream: