WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR NOVEMBER 2016

Options

Replies

• skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,845 Member
    Options
    Hello all: Went to water exercise this morning so that is done. DH went and got his x-ray while I was in the water so he is ready for his appointment this afternoon. Just have to watch the food today.

Gloria - Hope your first day at the new job goes wonderfully.

Heather - I think that invitation is a compliment.

Katla - Enjoy your yoga. I think I am going to try a Yoqua class on Wednesday.

Marcelyn - I had an uncle who lived in Kerrville. My mom visited him there and says it is really pretty country. I agree with Karen, make a donation in their name. My niece did this for me one year and I thought it was really neat.

"Life is a balance between rest and movement" - Osho

Everyone take care, Sue in WA
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Pip, i just love you dogs, whether they are new pics or old. I can tell that they are so gentle with each other. Well there was the one picture that they LOOK like they are fighting over a toy. Maybe you have a special lense on your camera to make them look so sweet! I remember your back yard pic from last year.Very creative. I agree, any or all of them could be Christmas cards.

My Dad was in a recording studio doing a church service when he got news of the bombing of Pearl Harbor. He was one of I am sure thousands who probably directly went and signed up. He was stationed in Guam fixing the bombers. He was colored blind and could not do his first love, piloting. But he had enough stories about what was on the planes when they came in. Really he had very little stories he would tell Mom or us. I do know he had night horrors for many years. It wasn't long before he died that he had a night mare. He was in the hospital and the over the bed table was over the end of the bed and he fractured his toe really bad. Mom had always told us girls about how he would have a dream and kick her in the night and when she would wake him up he would be dazed and wanted to be by himself.

One year right around Veterans Day, my niece who always seems to 'know a lot', put a face book one of his pictures and said that since was a minister was a conscientious objector and did not serve. Oh I was about to know my head off. I sent a very tactfull personal face book message with pictures of him in his uniform and the arrangement my brother did with all his medals. I several pictures of him in his different uniforms. Also of his brother, also a minister, in his uniforms. This was only about 4 years ago and Dad died when she was 19 and we have all talked of his service. My husband joined the Navy so that the Marines would not get him in the Vietnam war. So the Navy trained him as a medic and the the Marines snacthed him for the rest of his 4 years! I am glad he only served stateside.

We have the new bathroom floor in and just to get it out of the bedroom, placed the vanity in it's place.The vanity top still has to be put on. The faucet we fixed out I am just not sure of. On the vanity box we could tell the top was light but we didn't know that it is white and I mean virgin white. We liked the faucets because it had white porcelain faucets. It almost looks to much white. Of course we haven't picked out a paint color or other accessories. I have bought white porcelain knobs for the doors. Right before the floor guy left he aid not to walk on the floor since he wanted the glue to set. So Charlie just wanted to check it all out and also wanted to 'place' the base board we had from a bunch of scrap baseboards and stepped on the floor. He could feel it squish and now there are toe prints. This time tomorrow it will all be done and all of Charlie's ileostomy supplies will be moved over. I love him whether he has an ileostomy or not. It is part of him therefore it is him. But when he empties it, it STINKS! When he was giving me all these stops the other day about things he did not need done, like paint, accessories, curtains, etc I jsut told him that it was my bathroom also. No, I won't use it very often but it is my home with him and I may use that bathroom if company is using the other one. Plus if some one really needs a bathroom right now, like he did when he has his ulcerative colitis, I will direct them to 'his' bathroom.

Well I have now bought 2 Christmas presents. Charlie likes to give money so they can pay bills. I would rather not but I know that it does help out both our girls and they both really need help with bills. So I agree. And with all our health care costs, the money given is less and they are OK with that. Well to bad if they didn't. So Christina wants money for both her and her husbands birthdays, and for the entire Christmas present. All this goes to their 'RVcation next year. Michelle's birthday is also in December and she needs a new mattress and found one on Cyber Monday deal so we bought that. We will be having a white elephant gift exchange this year also but it is to be found at a dollar store gift. And that delightful flamingo umbrella would be so neat for any of the 9 kids as an actual present so it's not what we are calling a 'Dirty Santa'.

Love you all. Joyce, in rainy Indiana
  • Marcelynh
    Marcelynh Posts: 974 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    klanders30 wrote: »
    [ would it be appropriate to offer a donation in those two hard to gift folks.

NYKAREN

Lovely thought but no.... all 20 of us will be together opening gift.... I can see the daughters getting gifts and the daughter-in-law getting a donation notification. That is one Christmas I don't want to experience! lol Last night I came up with an awesome idea though and within the budget. My son even said it was a winner. So the hardest one is done. The other person is my daughter. I have an idea but I have to feel out her sisters to see if it will offend her or be appreciated.

I'll have to remember the donation for extended family members if we ever decide to give gifts for them. lol Usually we only stick with our kids and grandkids. Since there are 18 of them (20 next year) that is more than enough to buy for I don't need to add aunts, uncles, .... sheesh that would be crazy. There are 90 neices and nephews on my side of the family alone. That is direct ones, not a generation removed.... My husband's family would only add four more... but really... could you imagine buying for all of them? augh!!!!!!!

• klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    Wow marcelyn what a fantastic sized family you have! I'm from a large family but my generation held back and kept to single or two children per family. Phew that would be a lot of gifts!

Had a great day back at work, looking forward to the rest of the week. NYKAREN
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    Well said Lenora!
  • Purl62
    Purl62 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    5 days, 2335 miles, 4 states, 36 hours at our destination, a gorgeous hike in Bristlecone Forest, 40+ hours in the car, daughters stuck in Portland when their flight to meet up with us in Redding was cancelled prompting us to re-route to get them in Sacramento, a car break in, what else? lol, we survived our Thanksgiving adventure. I tried my best to track my food using my phone and got so frustrated with the ads blocking the content that I just upgraded to premium. Discovered Subway's chopped salads which saved me along the way. I passed on the In n Out but did have Burgerville's turkey burger with brie and cranberry which wasn't worth the 520 calories, but it got tracked.

I am way behind reading, and don't know if I'll catch up but want to send positive thoughts to all. I know this can be a hard time of year. It is for me- this time last year my dad was starting to have some health issues; we didn't know yet but he was diagnosed with advanced lung cancer on Jan 18th and passed away Feb 4th.

Hugs to all.

Purl/WA
  • terewilliams
    terewilliams Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    LENORE: I enjoyed your post so much...it brought tears to my eyes..tears of agreement and appreciation. I have shared it with other dear friends. Thanks <3
  • Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    <3
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Lenora: Thanks for the suggestions. I rubbed the stains with fells naptha and a resolve stick and rewashed the shirt. I'm pleased to report that the problem area is much better now. :smile:

Tere (& Alison): I love the advice you have given Alison, especially, "the first thing you need to do is learn how to love, appreciate, and value yourself. If you love, appreciate, and value yourself your footsteps will be ordered accordingly." :flowerforyou:

Heather: Being your son's facebook friend will give you access to know more about how he is feeling and what he is doing. I think it is a good thing and the invitation is definitely a compliment. :heart:

Sue: I was a complete mess when I started yoga and was surprised at how quickly I came to depend on it to help my muscles and joints feel better. I was at my heaviest when I began taking yoga, and moving hurt. I found MFP later on and began doing something about my weight. Yoga & MFP combined have created miraculous changes for the better in my life. :bigsmile:

DH is experiencing some vision problems that have me worried. He has made an appointment with his eye doctor on Wednesday morning because of changes in his vision. I hope there will be good options. She has been talking about cataract surgery for a year or more. The situation hasn't warranted surgery so far. I don't know if the current symptoms are related to a possible cataract or something else. I just want a good outcome.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    Thanks to all about my comments; I just felt 'led' to post it. Hope it helps you! <3o:)<3

Katla - I will have to get some of that soap and a resolve stick. I usually will spit or splatter something on me, every time I wear white; and, I love white T-shirts/shirts with jeans. I just hate the drips. I'm getting a little better about leaning into the table over the plate and I like big linen table napkins.

Lenora
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    Options
    Marcelyn - My Daddy was the oldest of 9 children; some of my cousins were older than some of their aunts and uncles. I had a first cousin who was a great-grandmother herself by the time I was a teenager. I can still remember seeing picture of 5 generations together. I wish we could have taken a picture of the 5 generations we had in our family [Mimi, my mother, me, my DOS, and DOGD]. If we had still lived in Macon, it might have worked. But, I really just don't think that we realized we had a 5 generations. Same thing with my oldest sister. I was a young 'grandmother'.

Lenora
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    Options
    :#>:):(:/:o:'(<3o:)
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,582 Member
    Options
    stats for the day:
    ride hm 2 gym- 13.29min, 13.1amph, 149mhr, 2.9mi= 136c
    fitbit- 142mhr, 103c
    SPIN- 45min, 86r, 107w, 10-16g, 120ahr, 143mhr, 19mi = 340c
    fitbit- 152mhr, 273c
    ride gym 2 dome- 6.49min, 12.5amph, 137amhr, 1.4mi = 56c
    fitbit- 135mhr, 39c
    walk station 2 wk 8min, 15.18ap, 116mhr, .4mi = 38c
    fitbit- 138mhr, 62c
    walk wk 2 sta-7.55min, 3.5ap, 167mhr, .4mi = 70c
    fitbit- didn't record
    ride dome 2 hm-18.57min, 8.1amph, 155mhr, 2.5mi = 208c
    fitbit- 148mhr, 151c

total cal 848w/wahoo
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    You guys, well ladies, I love Allie as much as the rest of you do, but I don't want to lose her by pushing her to much and putting her out of her comfort zone. I know she is going to have to do that but I am just worried she may be so frustrated she may stop posting. She has said she knows a friend she can go to and a lawyer.

Joyce, scared in Indiana
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    Good evening!

Entertaining 2 offers on our home in OHIO, yes we still have it, and would love any and all positive vibes sent in this direction so that we can get this house sold and in the books. We drastically reduced the price and that seems to have worked. Just don't want to have to worry about this house through the Ohio winter!

Cheri
    holding her breath in TX
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    I'm making chicken soup for dinner. I love homemade soup, but I'm not a fan of the canned stuff. :noway:
  • Poerava14
    Poerava14 Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    Cheri: I'm surrounding your house with light and energy that will make it irresistible to potential buyers. Stay positive.

Pip: Love all the holiday photos, especially the poochers.

Karen: Thank you in advance for the tribute gift to Girl Scouts of the USA!!! I have been doing the same thing every Christmas for siblings and good friends. I make sure to find out the charities they favor, then make a gift in their honor. If I start to get mail from the organizations, I immediately opt out, so they don't waste their resources on me.

Am a bit distracted right at this moment. About 7 miles away there is a large grass fire raging, fed by 20 mile an hour winds. It's headed away from us, but toward the neighborhood where my niece, her boyfriend and their large 'fur-mily' live. :o

I also need to pack for a 5 night trip to NYC starting tomorrow. Denver airport has an ice-skating rink this year. I've already told I'm stopping there to get in my exercise before coming home on Sunday.

Stay well friends. We can do this.

Rori
    Colorado Foothills
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,133 Member
    Options
    <3