Options

Replies

• Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    ^Beat me to it, @AnvilHead :laugh:

Cake and steak with a beer. :)

I concur! Steak sounds good but the cake looks good! So both it is! 1600 for a 7 layer piece of cake doesn't sound that bad plus sharing is caring. :wink:

Or save half for the next day :blush:

:+1:
  • Hearts_2015
    Options
    Imma say it, don't eat the chocolate tower truffle cake, at 1,600 calories - not worth it. o:)

Oh man. Im pretty sure what you just did was illegal. Or should be. Now Im crying because I dont have anything remotely close to this, and when my hubby gets home from work, the store will be closed :'(
    (I edited the pic out so as not to torment myself- or others- any more. You realize that thing is 300 over my *entire* calorie budget?! I think i hate you =P ;)

But it's 6 layers... you could eat one layer and some of the whipped creme and it was be a nice treat and pretty yummy and fit in nicely in your budget. :wink: Or 2 layers.. not knowing your budget I won't suggest 3. :blush:
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Here's a steak on a calorie restricted diet.

http://www.foodcoach.me/2014/11/18/carne-asada-steak-salad/

And the brownie to go with it (100 calls)

http://www.skinnytaste.com/brownie-bites-2-points/
  • wanzik
    wanzik Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    As most everyone has mentioned, you can do this by eating anything and avoiding nothing. It is all about calories, so log accurately.
    There certainly are foods that are packed with calories, or salt and are tough to fit into a budget but no one is advising you to stuff your face with those things. Moderation

Yep. This is all anyone is saying. There is no food that everyone "should" cut out in order to be successful. You might find there is some stuff you need to avoid, but they will be different for everyone and many won't need to give up anything at all. Not sure why anyone would think that is unhelpful or disingenuous. If you asked every person in this thread who has already reached goal (and there are many of them) they would probably each have a different type of food that they needed to keep out of the house. For me, it's those canisters of roasted nuts, I can eat 1000 cals worth in a sitting. I do fine with 100 grams of ice cream or a couple of slices of pizza, but a jar of nuts is irresistible to me. And none of the posts in this thread saying which foods to avoid mentioned nuts, go figure!

Excellent point. I use to buy the unsalted mixed nuts from Costco. I are way too many. I tried just fillibg a dixie cup in the morning and snacking on that throughout the day and tha5 worked for a whole. I found tue best thing I could do for myself is not have them around.
  • Hearts_2015
    Options
    wanzik wrote: »
    kimny72 wrote: »
    As most everyone has mentioned, you can do this by eating anything and avoiding nothing. It is all about calories, so log accurately.
    There certainly are foods that are packed with calories, or salt and are tough to fit into a budget but no one is advising you to stuff your face with those things. Moderation

Yep. This is all anyone is saying. There is no food that everyone "should" cut out in order to be successful. You might find there is some stuff you need to avoid, but they will be different for everyone and many won't need to give up anything at all. Not sure why anyone would think that is unhelpful or disingenuous. If you asked every person in this thread who has already reached goal (and there are many of them) they would probably each have a different type of food that they needed to keep out of the house. For me, it's those canisters of roasted nuts, I can eat 1000 cals worth in a sitting. I do fine with 100 grams of ice cream or a couple of slices of pizza, but a jar of nuts is irresistible to me. And none of the posts in this thread saying which foods to avoid mentioned nuts, go figure!

Excellent point. I use to buy the unsalted mixed nuts from Costco. I are way too many. I tried just filling a Dixie cup in the morning and snacking on that throughout the day and tha5 worked for a whole. I found tue best thing I could do for myself is not have them around.

I buy the lb bag of raw unsalted almonds and lb. bag of raw unsalted walnuts from Trader Joe's. Those haven't been a problem for me, I weigh them on my food scale and zip them in baggies then toss them in the fridge or freezer for later use. I usually do a bunch up a time so there's always some around to grab and go to be able to toss in the car or gym bag etc. Typically I weigh out 1/2 servings to save some fats for later for other things

Those two I don't have an issue with binging on but something like cashews or salted sunflower seeds (I buy raw unsalted ones for salads or sandwiches/wraps) or pistachios or salted nuts of any type in a can I don't typically buy or keep around. Same as a few of you mentioned up above, too easy to begin eating and suddenly you look down and WHOA... way more than you planned are gone! :laugh:

Oh and the mixed nuts in in a can? Nope, can't keep those around too long so I don't keep them in the house. If I'm out and looking for quick protein I'll pick up a small bag of nuts from a Kwik Mart station and have some with an apple.
  • blambo61
    blambo61 Posts: 4,372 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Don't eat cake, ice cream, maple syrup, candy, donuts, potato chips, cookies, juices, bagels and stay away from sodas. :wink:

This. Sugar makes you hungrier cause you get an insulin spike and then your blood sugar drops and you get hungry again. If you count your cals and have a deficit that will work but that will be much harder if you eat sugar IMO.
  • lilolilo920
    lilolilo920 Posts: 184 Member
    Options

:)[/quote]
    also...
    Chocolate ice cream can only be eaten 2x weekly, a small french fry once in a while only because they don't don't contain sugar or chemicals..[/quote]

damn, I did it again! :'(

I'm screwed guys - I had vanilla ice cream last night. TWICE! :([/quote]

But did you juice it to get rid of all the toxinz???
  • msalicia116
    msalicia116 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    OP my only advice is to avoid foods that you know you cant moderate and that inevitably end up sending you over your calories. I have a few foods which i have very rarely, because i struggle to eat them in moderation.
    Stuff like Cheescake, peanut butter cups, peanut butter, cheerios.

We have the exact same palette.
  • everyusernamewastakenso
    Options
    Personally I try to limit overly processed foods. I read ingredients determining if I could even pronounce the words. If I can't I put it back.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Personally I try to limit overly processed foods. I read ingredients determining if I could even pronounce the words. If I can't I put it back.

The level of education is not a great way of determining if an ingredient is 'safe' or not, though. If it was, then scientists and those who had an affinity for pronouncing difficult words would be able to eat the food, while others would not. Many common foods, plants and animals actually have hard to pronounce names, especially if you go as far as taxonomy. What about foreign foods? Some are difficult to pronounce.

Everything is made up of chemicals.

I wonder how many cannot pronounce dihydrogen monoxide?

Quinoa is kind of hard to pronounce. So is carne de res con cebolla, if you don't happen to speak Spanish.
  • everyusernamewastakenso
    Options
    I said personally... what works for me might work for others. And I don't look up the ingredients for natural foods i.e. fruits.
  • CiaIgle
    CiaIgle Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    CiaIgle wrote: »
    During the first phases of weight loss (I am in the 4th month and reduced 16 Kgs/ 35 pounds), there are difinitively things I recommend to forget:
    - Sugar of any kind (even brown or honey): they add calories we don't need, I only use sweeteners 0 cals.
    - Sodas of any kind and even boxed juices. They are like water with sugar (see previous). From time to time (max 2 per week) some 0 cals soda
    - Any cakes or industrial bakery: glucose shots that will unbalance you on spot.
    - Pizza

Besides above, I won't eliminate anything else.

yea, I ate all those things, lost 50 pounds, and got to sub 15% body fat....I must be a freak of nature...

Not at all! It's just that your way isn't THE ONLY WAY! Your way worked for you and it would work for many others. But it might not work for someone else. So you don't need to blast anyone else's opinions in order to validate your own.

That's the point.
  • CiaIgle
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    CiaIgle wrote: »
    During the first phases of weight loss (I am in the 4th month and reduced 16 Kgs/ 35 pounds), there are difinitively things I recommend to forget:
    - Sugar of any kind (even brown or honey): they add calories we don't need, I only use sweeteners 0 cals.
    - Sodas of any kind and even boxed juices. They are like water with sugar (see previous). From time to time (max 2 per week) some 0 cals soda
    - Any cakes or industrial bakery: glucose shots that will unbalance you on spot.
    - Pizza

Besides above, I won't eliminate anything else.

I lost that same amount of weight and never gave any of those things up. Well other than sugary soda, I wasn't drinking those to begin with.

I'm always perplexed why pizza gets such a bad rap. Depending on the toppings, it can be a macro balanced meal, especially if one eats salad with a couple of slices. Really not hard to work that in on a regular basis if it's something you enjoy.

Surely you gave up on something, else you would not give up calories and gave up weight, right?

Going for pizza, I will not restrict the pleasure of a Domino's Pizza by restricting its content, IMHO I prefer just to pass until I go for maintenance regime (still 10 kilos away).

• CiaIgle
    Options
    I have another huge list of things I definitively will NEVER eat while on regime. They can be summarize in the following two directives:
    - Anything that I DO NOT LIKE.
    - Anything I like but I can't really enjoy due to ration size

So, for example:
    - I do not eat fat free or "light" alternatives like light creamcheese, or lowfat milk or light mayonnaise.
    - I love nuts, but I will never eat just a handfull of them.
    - Pizza, one or two slices are never enough. I prefer to pass