Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Giving up sugar for good

Replies

• igottapee333
    igottapee333 Posts: 9 Member
    All these people making jokes have obviously never walked into a club bathroom to find their friend passed out with a spoon sticky with sugar and a lighter. It's something you never forget :'(

what explain this one carefully for me or is it just a weird joke?
  • igottapee333
    igottapee333 Posts: 9 Member
    edited January 2017
    All these people making jokes have obviously never walked into a club bathroom to find their friend passed out with a spoon sticky with sugar and a lighter. It's something you never forget :'(

[
  • Ty_Floyd
    Ty_Floyd Posts: 102 Member
    On another note, what's with all this "kitten" stuff? Someone please explain so I can be in on the joke too. (:-)

Staying out of the usual sugar arguments (they're a dime a dozen here), but the kitten thing is something MFP does to replace a word that's considered "naughty." No private jokes, unfortunately.

I see. Thank you for the explanation!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member

sarcasm...
  • kayemme
    kayemme Posts: 1,782 Member
    Ty_Floyd wrote: »
    Interesting long read by Gary Taubes in The Guardian today about sugar's addictive effects and the futility of trying to "moderate" its consumption. He also makes the interesting observation that people tend to define moderation as "whatever works for them". Anyway, it's all enough to convince me...
    https://www.theguardian.com/society/2017/jan/05/is-sugar-worlds-most-popular-drug

The guardian also had a long format article & podcast about "The Sugar Conspiracy," which was super interesting!

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2016/apr/07/the-sugar-conspiracy-robert-lustig-john-yudkin

I think the Taubes position is mostly talking about sucrose, right? I mean "sugar" is a very blanket term which can often be misappropriated to starches & carbohydrates in general, which (in my opinion) is a grave mistake.
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    I bit the bullet and read the whole article. Taube's articles can be such an eyeroll fest, but he somehow managed to outdo himself on this one.

Seriously? Cigarettes have sugar? Well, oil is used in soap.. so? How is that even relevant?

Once people are exposed, they consume as much sugar as they can easily procure? I have not seen a more rediculous generalization. I go weeks, and in some instances months, without added sugar without even noticing, even after going weeks having it daily. I just randomly lose interest. Is that how addiction works?

People moderate their kids' sugar intake therefore sugar is bad? And? Parents moderate their kids' everything including video games and, in my case as a kid, tomatoes and Greek yogurt.

The tired argument of sugar and the dopamine? Yeah, a hot shower with a nice smelling shower gel does it for me. I should quit showering forever because it might be addictive I guess. You know what else stimulates my pleasure center? Cheese! It turns out I'm not the only one. It's even dubbed as "dairy crack" by the same media that likes slapping the addictive label on sugar, but hating on cheese is not as trendy I guess, and hating on fat (which has been studied extensively and found to stimulate dopamine) has gone out of vogue.

He then ends the article saying that sugar is very likely to be a toxic substance. Yeah, no comment.

It's like he scouted the internet for woo paddlers like the food babe and her elk then distilled all their ideas into one article.

I will agree that the article was disappointing. He unnecessarily introduced some strange reasoning.

But as to parents moderating their children's consumption of sugar, I was thinking that a stronger argument could be made by pointing out that we are supposed to give our children ZERO added sugar from birth to 2 years old. Does anyone disagree with this advice? Would you or did you ignore it with your babies?
  • Ty_Floyd
    Ty_Floyd Posts: 102 Member
    edited January 2017

[

I think she is trying to say that unless you've descended to the state of a heroin addict you don't have anything to worry about.
    See I didn't need to bother quitting smoking after all—clearly I wasn't addicted as I was never found passed out on the floor in a nightclub!
  • blambo61
    blambo61 Posts: 4,372 Member
    edited January 2017
    blambo61 wrote: »
    I've given up sugar (or mostly given it up) not for weight loss purposes but for gout purposes. I've read some scientific articles that say fructose is way bad for gout. I believe it!

gout can be caused by eating certain things not just fructose. my husbands gout flares up if he eats too much pork, an uncle had it and it would flare up if he ate pickled banana peppers. it has to do with uric acid production. if fructose causes it(which it states it can) then you would have to watch fruits and some veggies as well as they are mainly fructose. not to mention certain medical issues,diet,weight,age,etc all are risk factors in gout..if you suffer from gout its best to avoid things that can cause it/flare ups. if you know a certain food causes a flare up you avoid that food.

Gout is caused when uric acid builds up and uric acid crystals precipitate out of the blood and into tissues. The immune system then attacks the crystals and causes a gout flare. People can have the crystals and not have the flare if their immune system isn't attacking the crystals.

Purines in meat produce uric acid when metabolized. Ketones (losing weight can cause gout) and sugars and other things don't produce uric acid but interfere with the kidney's elimination of the uric acid. Who knows what else causes an individuals immune system to go off on the crystals also. Like you said, if you notice something that is causing problems, then that needs to be eliminated. The article I read said that the sugar effect (fructose) is worse than the meat but I have problems with both. Kidney function is hereditary and my dad and brother had to deal with this also. From what I've read the kidneys are supposed to get rid of the majority of the uric acid and the digestive system handles a part of it too (25% I believe I've read). Lots of factors.
  • kayemme
    kayemme Posts: 1,782 Member
    RAinWA wrote: »
    Sorry - I lost interest when he calls sugar a drug. It's not a drug and it's not addictive. People may LIKE the taste of sugar and thus want to consume more but it's no more addictive than cheese is (which is something I have problems moderating but I'm not addicted to it).

I really wish people would stop listening to this kind of low intellect fear-mongering.

/rant

"[Casein], which is present in all dairy products, can trigger the brain’s opioid receptors which are linked to addiction."

http://www.independent.co.uk/extras/indybest/food-drink/cheese-triggers-the-same-part-of-brain-as-hard-drugs-study-finds-a6707011.html

The hypothesis is that milk triggers this reaction so that baby animals drink as much of it as they can so they can get all their nutrients in before they are weaned. It makes sense to me!

bests,

• cupity
    cupity Posts: 1 Member
    Ty_Floyd wrote: »
    Interesting long read by Gary Taubes in The Guardian today about sugar's addictive effects and the futility of trying to "moderate" its consumption. He also makes the interesting observation that people tend to define moderation as "whatever works for them". Anyway, it's all enough to convince me...
    https://www.theguardian.com/society/2017/jan/05/is-sugar-worlds-most-popular-drug

I haven't read all the replies....some people get really upset when you ask them to give up sugar, but of course it is not addictive.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    I bit the bullet and read the whole article.

Thanks for this. You're braver than I am.

• lkpducky
    lkpducky Posts: 16,729 Member
    In the meantime, I'll personally just work on eating common-sense, modest amounts of sugar, like moms have been telling their kids for years, and maybe get a beehive and hide it from the sugar police.
    I'm sure the bees can defend themselves ;-)

This discussion has been closed.