Teacher says Pop Tarts are not a healthy snack

Options

Replies

• elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    This title sounds like it would be a headline at The Onion.

lol, my favorite Onion piece: "Multiple Stab Wounds May Be Harmful To Monkeys" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQ7J7UjsRqg . Is there anything more political than food? It touches socio-economics, religion, gender, cultural backgrounds, environmental concerns, health and wellbeing, education, etc. I think this could be the most politically charged subject in the world.

I'm sorry but that picture made me laugh so hard. Reminds me of a call I was on a years ago. Guy called 911 for a headache..... secondary to agin shot wound tonhead. Yeah, I'd say that could cause a headache lol.

• 50sforme
    50sforme Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I homeschooled my kids until they were in 6th grade. There are things about the public school experience that we're not thrilled with, such as policies like this. I don't think they are ill-intentioned; more that it stems from having to deal with large numbers of children and families. It's crowd control, and rules (policies, federal mandates...) help the school/teachers serve *most* of the kids well most of the time, and just help the days to run smoothly. I feel like it's all part of the "teach to the middle" problem. That being said, we "take the bad with the good.". When my kids complain about homework being "busy work" I acknowledge that it's frustrating, and yes, if we were homeschooling we could move on quicker--but, they're in school and the hw has been assigned, they need to do it, and it won't hurt. Dress code, food policies...they can complain, we'll talk about it, but, for the most part, they'll follow the rules because that's what we signed up for.
    It all comes down to choosing our battles. I'll let my daughter carry Midol in her backpack, in violation of school policy. But I don't march into the principal's office to tell him that if I deem her responsible enough to carry OTC drugs, that should be good enough for him.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    elphie754 wrote: »
    This actually makes me a bit nervous. I have severe food allergies to the point that we can't have anything I am allergic to in the house. Immoregnant right now and baby has a 50/50 shot of also having my allergies. Even if she doesn't have my allergies, mine are so severe that we still have have it in the house and going to have to make it very very clear that my daughter can only eat what I pack for her and CANNOT share food or eat anything the schools provides.

If they make a huge issue from that or tell her she can't eat something I packed for her, they are going to regret it. Technically severefood allergies can be classified as a disability and I will pursue that if need.

If the baby would have issues by the time school rolls aroind it would be your responsibility to discuss with the school beforehand and resolve. The administration aren't mind readers.

I never said they would. We already have planned how we are going to discuss with school and care givers. this Even if she isn't allergic, we still can't have her eat it.
  • fitmom4lifemfp
    fitmom4lifemfp Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    bgelliott wrote: »
    Wow, I'd be so mad and that teacher wouldn't have a leg to stand on after I got done with her! It's non of her business what you feed your kids unless you're feeding them pot cookies! It is absolutely absurd and inappropriate for the teacher to behave like this. If she wants to control someones diet, she should worry about her own kids/family! Oh I just get so mad at this crap!!!!!!

What she^^ said. I would be furious.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    There is 16 g of sugar in a cherry poptart. And 4.5 g sugar per oz of grapes. So 1 poptart is equal to not quit 4 oz of grapes. That's like what 10-15 grapes if even that many. Sure grapes have other vitamins but still both can be in a good diet. Besides sugar is sugar doesn't matter if you get it from a soda or fruit it all becomes the same thing.

Some nutrition study is needed if you're saying 4 oz of grapes are the same quality snack as a pop tart

Same amount of sugar, different micronutrients, neither being particularly outstanding.

http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/fruits-and-fruit-juices/1920/2
  • Qskim
    Qskim Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »
    This actually makes me a bit nervous. I have severe food allergies to the point that we can't have anything I am allergic to in the house. Immoregnant right now and baby has a 50/50 shot of also having my allergies. Even if she doesn't have my allergies, mine are so severe that we still have have it in the house and going to have to make it very very clear that my daughter can only eat what I pack for her and CANNOT share food or eat anything the schools provides.

If they make a huge issue from that or tell her she can't eat something I packed for her, they are going to regret it. Technically severefood allergies can be classified as a disability and I will pursue that if need.

If this makes you feel less anxious, my son just finished a kindy stint where we weren't allowed to use eggs, shellfish or nuts in school lunches due to a severe allergies of one student - even the packages that may have had the product in it weren't allowed. I felt terribly sorry for the parents but fortunately they found a subsequent primary school for the following years that had a complete ban on those products too due to another student. I hated it sometimes because all I could think of was egg recipes for his lunch and then I'd go doh! Can't do (my son loves eggs). Happy to comply though for the little fella that needed an epi-pen. Would have hated to be the reason he got sick.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    puttputt24 wrote: »
    I went to my kids school this morning, to speak with his first grade teacher.
    He came home yesterday saying he couldn"t bring his Pop tart for their morning snack, because they can only have "healthy snacks".

I was upset. I still am even after speaking with the teacher this morning.
    I teach my child that there are no good or bad foods, unless you have a allergy or ethically cant eat it.

He has been sitting there afraid to pull out his "unhealthy snack" because its not "fruit, or granola bar, or yogurt"(healthy snacks").
    I often send those as well.

I told her not to teach my child about foods being good or bad, because I dont subscribe to that.

Teacher: "So you're ok with him having a sugary Pop Tart in the morning"?
    Me: Yes, I if send it its good enough for him to have. Just so you know there are granola bars with just as much or more sugar in them as Pop Tarts.
    Teacher: blank stare.

Do teachers have the right to teach children sugary snacks are unhealthy?

Are Pop tarts the devil?

How can you be ok with teaching your child bad habits? Teaching them at a young age to eat unhealthy transitions them to eat bad later on in life. The teacher is doing through right thing and educating your child to a healthier lifestyle.

Letting your kid have a treat now and then isn't teaching them bad habits...

My kids have treats regularly...they also eat their fruit and some veggies and their chicken and rice and fish...my youngest (4) plays soccer and my oldest (6) plays flag football...both are avid bike riders and my youngest recently completed a 12 mile ride with me. My wife and I are both very active, healthy, and fit are excellent roll models for our kids even though at this very moment both of them are snacking on a cookie.

There's a lot more to health and wellness and raising children the right way than denying them anything good...you act as if the OP is feeding her kid nothing but pop tarts....
  • Morgaath
    Morgaath Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    All I know is, deep fried Poptarts are amazing! They go from being sugary cardboard to some delightful French pastry.
    And will kill you in the long run.

The things you learn when you are friends with the Funnel Cake guys at the Ren Faire... And they bring fryers with them out to Burns...
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Haven't read the thread. Just going to vent.

Arbitrary food rules drive me a bit crazy. My kids are homeschooled but attend a bum-in-seat school once or twice a week. That school has a no peanut policy. Fine. But there were no peanut allergies in the school. Not a one. My oldest is allergic to sunflower seeds and tree nuts. He carries an epi-pen everywhere. Tree nuts are allowed. My kids are gluten free due to celiac disease. A crumb causes illness for weeks.... It irritated me how they go with the usual standard of food restrictions but not for foods that are a danger.

To keep my kids safe I man all the food tables and create a "free from" area for GF, dairy free or whatever and make everyone label their foods... It is amazing how few people realize that almond flower is a tree nut. LOL

I know teachers encourage nutritious snacks. They also encourage less wrapping and garbage. I would go along to a point. What is considered nutritious is pretty arbitrary and will vary between households.

Now if all packed lunches and snacks were based on pop-tart like "foods", then yes, parents should be talked to.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    everher wrote: »
    I think this was the second time he took the pop tart, as I said he usually takes either fruit or a fruit cup.

The first time he took it I heard nothing. Which was a few weeks ago because I'd just purchased the box.

He took another one yesterday, I opened his lunch box after school and it was in there.

Thats when he told me she said he could not have it weeks ago, because it was not healthy.

So he sat hungry that day because he was forbade from eating it (first time), and yesterday because I packed it and didnt know he couldn't have it.

He must have seen it and was afraid to take it out.

I dont know why he didn't tell me sooner. The first one got trashed so I didnt find it then.

But more so, who stops a child from from eating and not providing another snack?

Ok you dont want him to have it, well what else you got?

I retract my previous advice. Your child was made to sit hungry while everyone else was having a snack?

I would have this lady's head on a silver platter. I'd complain to high heaven and see if I couldn't cost her, her job.

To begin with, this should've been a conversation between you and her not her and your first grader who is what six or seven? And then she has the audacity to not let him eat anything?

Heads. Would. Roll.

But I don't take kindly to people who bully children. Even if you'd sent him a chocolate covered freaking donut he should have been allowed to eat it if he was hungry or another snack should have been provided and this should have been taken up with you.

Yeah, the teacher should have given him an alternative thing to eat. I dare say the teacher equates poptarts to amped up kids on a sugar high, and doesn't want to have to deal with that on top of all of her other duties.
  • Tallawah_
    Tallawah_ Posts: 2,471 Member
    Options
    everher wrote: »
    I think this was the second time he took the pop tart, as I said he usually takes either fruit or a fruit cup.

The first time he took it I heard nothing. Which was a few weeks ago because I'd just purchased the box.

He took another one yesterday, I opened his lunch box after school and it was in there.

Thats when he told me she said he could not have it weeks ago, because it was not healthy.

So he sat hungry that day because he was forbade from eating it (first time), and yesterday because I packed it and didnt know he couldn't have it.

He must have seen it and was afraid to take it out.

I dont know why he didn't tell me sooner. The first one got trashed so I didnt find it then.

But more so, who stops a child from from eating and not providing another snack?

Ok you dont want him to have it, well what else you got?

I retract my previous advice. Your child was made to sit hungry while everyone else was having a snack?

I would have this lady's head on a silver platter. I'd complain to high heaven and see if I couldn't cost her, her job.

To begin with, this should've been a conversation between you and her not her and your first grader who is what six or seven? And then she has the audacity to not let him eat anything?

Heads. Would. Roll.

But I don't take kindly to people who bully children. Even if you'd sent him a chocolate covered freaking donut he should have been allowed to eat it if he was hungry or another snack should have been provided and this should have been taken up with you.

What??? The OP's child was so upset by this that he didn't mention it either time it happened....
  • cnbbnc
    cnbbnc Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    My thought is that the schools don't like sugary snacks because some kids may get hyper. I could be mistaken though.... I don't think it's ok for teacher to be criticizing what kids bring to school.

I got so pissed when my son was going to camp and they would discuss healthy foods. Kids that brought "healthy" foods got to wear a healthy hat. My son was all upset one day because when the camp counselor saw his lunch he didn't get a hat. Mind you I'm paying this camp good money and they're inspecting my kids lunch!

To sum it up, I would be aggravated too.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    i would rip her (and the school if they are supporting that JUDGEMENT call) a new one, on principle alone. and enjoy every minute of it, as its not often I get to do that to a person.

you want to control what my kid eats - you *kitten* buy it. no? then they will eat what *I* send.

and yeah gross. i do keep some on hand but a box lasts us months LOLOLOL
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,618 Member
    Options
    puttputt24 wrote: »
    I went to my kids school this morning, to speak with his first grade teacher.
    He came home yesterday saying he couldn"t bring his Pop tart for their morning snack, because they can only have "healthy snacks".

I was upset. I still am even after speaking with the teacher this morning.
    I teach my child that there are no good or bad foods, unless you have a allergy or ethically cant eat it.

He has been sitting there afraid to pull out his "unhealthy snack" because its not "fruit, or granola bar, or yogurt"(healthy snacks").
    I often send those as well.

I told her not to teach my child about foods being good or bad, because I dont subscribe to that.

Teacher: "So you're ok with him having a sugary Pop Tart in the morning"?
    Me: Yes, I if send it its good enough for him to have. Just so you know there are granola bars with just as much or more sugar in them as Pop Tarts.
    Teacher: blank stare.

Do teachers have the right to teach children sugary snacks are unhealthy?

Are Pop tarts the devil?

How can you be ok with teaching your child bad habits? Teaching them at a young age to eat unhealthy transitions them to eat bad later on in life. The teacher is doing through right thing and educating your child to a healthier lifestyle.
    Or like I learned as a kid, it's okay to have a Poptart IF I'm also eating my other "healthy" stuff.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
This discussion has been closed.