Done with it!

Replies

• crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    edited January 2017
    AFGP11 wrote: »
    The real truth? Most people here are overweight and have not been successful with weight loss, won't be successful long term and they give bad advice. There are also many, many successful people who give good advice but they won't give you excuses. CICO is how weight loss works no matter what your body us like. It doesn't tackle health issues, but it does help with losing pounds. You're looking for health advice which is just foolish on a free website. There's a reason people make a living giving health advice. Go to a professional if you have health issues. It's honestly your own fault for replacing a real medical professional with people on a forum. Come on now.

Many people find that by losing the extra weight it does help with health issues though. It normalized high glucose numbers for me and there's others here who have shared their own stories of weight loss improving their health markers and correcting/reducing severity of medical conditions.

eta: https://www.niddk.nih.gov/health-information/health-topics/weight-control/health_risks_being_overweight/Pages/health-risks-being-overweight.aspx
  • crackpotbaby
    crackpotbaby Posts: 1,297 Member
    lizery wrote: »
    There's a few ideas here so bear with me. I think there is a huge knowledge base here BUT I think there's also a lot of people that weigh into medical issues when they don't know what they don't know.

CI<CO is the 'formula' for weight loss, but weight loss and health are linked, yes - but not synonymous.

I work in health care (clinical nurse; irrelevant online) and I cringe at the number of people telling people 'eat whatever you want' so long as the caloric balance is right.

Losing weight alone DOES improve health, but it is not ALL there is to health and I feel that often that message is lost here.

Sure, some people are knowledgeable. Others parrot the same lines without any deeper context and that in itself can be dangerous to a new or uneducated forum user.

This app is after all called 'my fitness pal' not my weight loss pal.

To a degree this can be true but I find it's often because someone hasn't disclosed a medical condition/disclosed all facts pertinent to their query that results in largely generic but helpful advice. If someone does disclose then the advice is more measured and people are directed to clear anything with their medical professional. But CICO still applies to everyone, medical condition or not, safety (from a medical perspective) to currently lose weight or not.

I think the insinuation people are reckless with advice is largely unfair and untrue, as usual with threads like these, I'd love to be provided with evidence. I find it's often an issue of personal interpretation of tone and intent rather than factual inaccuracy.

Maybe it is personal interpretation of tone, but if that's how people are interpreting it maybe people could consider their phrasing.

I think you're missing the point that CI<CO applies for weight loss, but other factors contribute to health.

I have seen numerous threads where a person asks a medical question and people who clearly from their answers, have no medical knowledge try and give 'advice'.

It's not malicious. As I said, people don't know what they don't know.

Others repeat what educated people have said without the background knowledge.

I've only ever been a little overweight and been using this app on and off for different goals since 2012. I've only looked into the forums in the last few months. I've seen lots of great, measured advice but also a lot of people repeating rhetoric and giving 'advice' on subjects that they really probably are not qualified to comment on.

I mean sure - it's the Internet - anything goes, but they're is an overwhelming attack of sorts to anyone that points out short fallings of forum content/advices. It has a distinct bully like nature to the casual observer.

I'm off to bed. It's nearly midnight here.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,830 Member

I'm off to bed. It's nearly midnight here.

You must be on my side of the world!

• snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member
    There's a few ideas here so bear with me. I think there is a huge knowledge base here BUT I think there's also a lot of people that weigh into medical issues when they don't know what they don't know.

CI<CO is the 'formula' for weight loss, but weight loss and health are linked, yes - but not synonymous.

I work in health care (clinical nurse; irrelevant online) and I cringe at the number of people telling people 'eat whatever you want' so long as the caloric balance is right.

Losing weight alone DOES improve health, but it is not ALL there is to health and I feel that often that message is lost here.

Sure, some people are knowledgeable. Others parrot the same lines without any deeper context and that in itself can be dangerous to a new or uneducated forum user.

This app is after all called 'my fitness pal' not my weight loss pal.

To a degree this can be true but I find it's often because someone hasn't disclosed a medical condition/disclosed all facts pertinent to their query that results in largely generic but helpful advice. If someone does disclose then the advice is more measured and people are directed to clear anything with their medical professional. But CICO still applies to everyone, medical condition or not, safety (from a medical perspective) to currently lose weight or not.

I think the insinuation people are reckless with advice is largely unfair and untrue, as usual with threads like these, I'd love to be provided with evidence. I find it's often an issue of personal interpretation of tone and intent rather than factual inaccuracy.

Maybe it is personal interpretation of tone, but if that's how people are interpreting it maybe people could consider their phrasing.

I think you're missing the point that CI<CO applies for weight loss, but other factors contribute to health.

I have seen numerous threads where a person asks a medical question and people who clearly from their answers, have no medical knowledge try and give 'advice'.

It's not malicious. As I said, people don't know what they don't know.

Others repeat what educated people have said without the background knowledge.

I've only ever been a little overweight and been using this app on and off for different goals since 2012. I've only looked into the forums in the last few months. I've seen lots of great, measured advice but also a lot of people repeating rhetoric and giving 'advice' on subjects that they really probably are not qualified to comment on.

I mean sure - it's the Internet - anything goes, but they're is an overwhelming attack of sorts to anyone that points out short fallings of forum content/advices. It has a distinct bully like nature to the casual observer.

I'm off to bed. It's nearly midnight here. [/q

Well then, don't be a "casual observer" get in there and help out with the newcomers--sounds like you've got some qualifications. There is an avalanche of newbies right now. HELP OUT.
  • DietVanillaCoke
    DietVanillaCoke Posts: 259 Member
    Hey OP
    I get it.
    Me too.
    trigdon1991 you exemplify the problem

Bye

I'm most offended that you didn't spell my name correctly.
    Hey OP
    I get it.
    Me too.
    trigdon1991 you exemplify the problem

Bye

What about us other middle aged women on the post chiming in agreeing with Trigden? Don't we count?

I've lost 94 pounds agreeing with Trigden.

I never you knew I was such an inspiration. Glad I could help ;)

All joking aside, this thread is ridiculously stereotypical and a bit pointless. If you don't like people posting their opinions or even science based facts then no one is forcing you to read the forums.

I'm yet to see Trigden1991 post something bad.

This is an online forum where people will tell you crazy theories based on nothing and call it fact, some will link research and some might tell you how it is. I personally like being told the truth. If i post a diet and ask a forum about it, it's open for debate and I'll read all the comments and it will help and hopefully educate me... I might also have a good laugh..

If you want to post beliefs and don't want to agree with facts and science that's great but don't get angry about it and blame them for commenting on your post with facts. If anything it's a good read. Yes some things work better for others. Some people like low carb, some people like expensive meal replacements and some people believe it's fine to eat 600calories a day.. But guess what? Some people don't and they're going to say why on a forum and they may even back it up with research.

You don't have to like it and you don't have to agree with it. You don't even have to read it and lastly, you don't have to use the forums if you don't want. That's another great thing about MFP.

If people abuse you or call you names, that's a completely different matter and that needs to be reported. There's a wonderful list of rules many users may want to read but not agreeing with you... is not against the rules. Sorry.

I hope you have a great journey and I hope what ever your doing works for you and you reach your goals OP. =)
  • crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    51 year old menopausal woman in maintenance here.

It IS about CICO.

And I believe the variables that influence CI and CO differ for different people.

And different ways of eating affect different folks' success with keeping CO higher than CI.

And, people have different goals when they visit the forums. Most want the number on the scale to go down (some want it to go up). But beyond that, different folks have different goals here.

And, finally, folks are at different points along their life journeys, both in terms of their knowledge about weight loss, and their readiness to lose and MAINTAIN weight loss.

How I approach all of this differs from how many others approach it. That's just reality.

Great post :)
This discussion has been closed.