Are men afraid to ask for a women's number?

Options

Replies

• Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    Yes ! Guys hit me up on Instagram and Snapchat and ask for my KIK all the time

Same for girls for me. I only do IG and it's public so nothing interesting there. Well, unless you like cooking, drinks, home improvements, a boatload of tennis stuff, and the ramblings of a middle-aged guy.

• kuftae
    kuftae Posts: 299 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I always just make eye contact, then if possible, go up to her and say something directly complimenting her, like "you're cute.......... I saw you walking by and just wanted to......."

Either gets a really negative reaction right away, "I have a boyfriend" or it goes really positive. Then talk for 5 minutes, get number there. I had to work on this confidence though. I Moved multiple times to new cities where i knew no one. I Was (still am) young so I had to find dates other ways besides social groups. I practiced a lot. For about 4 months, one whole summer, I hit on 5 girls every day. No exceptions. Had to go to the next town over because the hot girls remembered me haha. Some I had approached 3 times .
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    I'm not young - I'm from the days when people actually did ask for numbers. But I must be kinda scary I guess, because I've never had a guy ask me for my phone number in my whole life. My husband got mine from my friend. ;)
  • MalkinMagic71
    MalkinMagic71 Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    I stutter when in the presence of a cute/hot girl. It's awful haha.
  • MalkinMagic71
    Options

You're adorable

haha. It's not adorable when I stutter like that. It's nerves or something I guess, but it's the main reason I don't approach anyone. I can feel the nerves/stutter coming on before I even open my mouth. It's bad lol.
  • MalkinMagic71
    Options

You're adorable

haha. It's not adorable when I stutter like that. It's nerves or something I guess, but it's the main reason I don't approach anyone. I can feel the nerves/stutter coming on before I even open my mouth. It's bad lol.

I would think it's charming. It would totally work on me. But I like awkward.

@happilymegan ....well to be fair I wouldn't approach you because I would think you were wayyyyyyyyyyy out of my league to begin with.. so i wouldnt even get to charm you with my stutter lol.
  • melmelw03
    melmelw03 Posts: 5,332 Member
    Options
    I think my RBF keeps the phone number askers away.
  • MalkinMagic71
    Options

You're adorable

I would think it's charming. It would totally work on me. But I like awkward.

@happilymegan ....well to be fair I wouldn't approach you because I would think you were wayyyyyyyyyyy out of my league to begin with.. so i wouldnt even get to charm you with my stutter lol.

Meh, you might change your mind in real life. I'm really short and I almost never wear makeup.

@happilymegan... neither of those sound like a bad thing lol. People who put layers upon layers upon layers of make up on their face.. not a fan.
  • sw33tp3a1
    sw33tp3a1 Posts: 5,065 Member
    Options

Kasner1975 wrote: »
    Kasner1975 wrote: »
    I wish I had balls like @Hi_jakker ... I've never been able to do it. Not once. I honestly couldn't fathom starting a conversation with a woman on my own.

I feel the same way! I could never imagine myself walking up to guy and starting a conversation. Unless I was drunk. Then everything is game.

Not even drunk. I can be a little more social if I'm approached, but still no.

I'm the same way. My shyness and self preservation still takes over when I'm drunk in a social environment. It's the reason I never go to bars. They scare me lol

• Savage__AF
    Savage__AF Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I stutter and say dumb shìt when I hit on women because I am ridiculously shy.
  • uggins311
    uggins311 Posts: 2,204 Member
    Options
    nope, i have no shame.... just afraid of the eye roll that normally comes after asking
  • newbie3122
    newbie3122 Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    I ask for women's number very often (not randomly, just the ones I feel attracted to). Sometimes I get rejected right away with just a 'sorry'; sometimes I get a fake number (these are the worst lol)...

I think that it is the fear of rejection that turns men away from asking #s
  • moya_bleh
    moya_bleh Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    lstrat115 wrote: »
    Rejection builds character. Everyone gets rejected at some point in their lives over something. People need to learn coping mechanisms for this instead of always being afraid to live!
    You could miss out on something amazing if you are always terrified of trying. Is someone saying "no" that big of a deal in the whole scheme of life?

When you're a man, you are rejected over and over and over and over and over again unless you are one of the top 20% that women go for. See this study from okcupid that shows that women deem 80% of men as being below average attractiveness:

https://blog.okcupid.com/index.php/your-looks-and-online-dating/

OK, that study is from the online environment, but it still reflects general attitudes.

Constant rejection doesn't build character, it gradually beats you down until you start to believe that you are nothing. Look at the video that I posted a few pages ago - women openly telling men to **** off for saying hi. That's what we're up against, who'd want to risk hateful reactions that? On a constant basis?