10 a Day (800g) Veggie&Fruit Challenge Participants Check in!

Options

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    Looks like I'm going to get 568 g today. There were 871 g of veggies in the gumbo I made so I thought I'd get more, but it was a BIG pot of gumbo!
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options
    Just added up my totals for the day and I got in 741g, so pretty happy with that! It was a mix of lettuce, spinach, tomato, broccoli, onion, bell pepper, cantaloupe and banana. Plus 53g of mushroom, but I don't know if that counts? Technically mushrooms aren't vegetables but I've always lumped them in the same category since they're sold in the produce section and they also have lots of nutrients. But, I didn't count it because I didn't know?

I totally count mushrooms.

I had planned to get back to it yesterday but was totally lacking in appetite, so 600g (you'll be surprised to know the majority of that was watermelon I'm sure).

Currently munching on lunch and once I've finished that I'll be on 823g so far.
  • msr8898
    msr8898 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I clocked out at 1141g today!

488g lentils, 200g green peppers, 120g carrots, 120g banana, 100g onion, 70g blueberries, & 43g baby spinach.

That was a lot more veg, and a lot more effort than I expected.
  • southernoregongrape
    southernoregongrape Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I want to join this. Sounds like fun.
  • southernoregongrape
    Options
    I got 8 servings in today. Wish my potato counted.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Options
    msr8898 wrote: »

488g lentils, 200g green peppers, 120g carrots, 120g banana, 100g onion, 70g blueberries, & 43g baby spinach.

Sadly only 80g of beans/lentils (one serving) count towards the 10 a day (there's a link somewhere on page one with what counts and if it has limits) but that's still a stellar effort :)
  • French_Peasant
    French_Peasant Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    So last night was interesting. We went out and I ordered a hummus plate so I could get in my one allowed serving of beans/lentils, and I also ordered a chicken breast sammy piled with veg. Well, the sammy came out and I was happily eating it and the hummus with veg when I realized...the inside of this chicken is dead pink and not cooked. Ugggghhhhh....I was so disgusted I couldn't finish the meal. (We did get a replacement, which I took home, and it was free). I didn't bother adding up my veg till tonight, and I just whiskered in at 810 grams. (And I didn't even have to cheat and add in the mashed potatoes I gphad at lunch...yay). I did a better job tonight at 890 g but I need to get back into my 1000+ groove.

I still kind of feel like puking when I think of that chicken, and I am the kind of person who enjoys her steaks fairly bloody and eats plenty of sashimi and nigiri.
  • msr8898
    Options
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »

Sadly only 80g of beans/lentils (one serving) count towards the 10 a day (there's a link somewhere on page one with what counts and if it has limits) but that's still a stellar effort :)

Say it isn't so!! Gah! Ok, so that bumps me down to 733g for today... tomorrow is another day though!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,070 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options

I believe that's a UK rule (but so is the "10 a day" part).

The US legume rule is even more whacky: As I read it, you count legumes as a protein serving unless/until you have enough protein servings for the day (counting non-legume protein sources first, of course). Any excess legumes that you don't need to meet your protein goal can be used to meet your veggie goal - as many of the legumes as you want. I think maybe peanuts only count as a protein, not a veggie ever, even though they're legumes? Not sure! And don't go counting dairy as a protein food, no matter how much protein it has, 'cause it's in the dairy group, counted separately. Except cream and cream cheese, which are not dairy.

No, I didn't make that up. You can't make this s*** up! (https://choosemyplate.gov/vegetables-beans-and-peas, and you can link from there to the other nonsense.)

The US also doesn't use the 80g simplification. It's in cups, how many cups they say you need varies by age/sex, and while most things count 1C as 1C (including 100% veg or fruit juice), instead lettuce and its ilk are 2C counted as 1C eaten, and dried fruit counts as 1C if you eat 1/2C. There are cup-equivalencies for whole fruits, like a whole apple or pear. Confused yet? ;)

See also: My post up-thread speculating that the national variations have something to do with our national eating patterns. Don't you UK folks eat beans for breakfast a lot, or something, so maybe The Authorities think you already get plenty? We USAians (except veggies like me) mostly only eat beans in Mexican food, or at holidays in baked beans. ;)

Also, our authorities think we're patient with complicated counting rules. They evidently don't know us very well.

• Nony_Mouse
    Options
    Only 1071 total for me today. I had kind of a weird dinner because my beetroot had spoiled and I decided mushrooms and halloumi don't sound like they'd go together, so had halloumi with baby spinach and watermelon. Was delish, but significantly less veg quantity than my usual dinner salad.
  • crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

The US legume rule is even more whacky: As I read it, you count legumes as a protein serving unless/until you have enough protein servings for the day (counting non-legume protein sources first, of course). Any excess legumes that you don't need to meet your protein goal can be used to meet your veggie goal - as many of the legumes as you want. I think maybe peanuts only count as a protein, not a veggie ever, even though they're legumes? Not sure! And don't go counting dairy as a protein food, no matter how much protein it has, 'cause it's in the dairy group, counted separately. Except cream and cream cheese, which are not dairy.

No, I didn't make that up. You can't make this s*** up! (https://choosemyplate.gov/vegetables-beans-and-peas, and you can link from there to the other nonsense.)

The US also doesn't use the 80g simplification. It's in cups, how many cups they say you need varies by age/sex, and while most things count 1C as 1C (including 100% veg or fruit juice), instead lettuce and its ilk are 2C counted as 1C eaten, and dried fruit counts as 1C if you eat 1/2C. There are cup-equivalencies for whole fruits, like a whole apple or pear. Confused yet? ;)

See also: My post up-thread speculating that the national variations have something to do with our national eating patterns. Don't you UK folks eat beans for breakfast a lot, or something, so maybe The Authorities think you already get plenty? We USAians (except veggies like me) mostly only eat beans in Mexican food, or at holidays in baked beans. ;)

Also, our authorities think we're patient with complicated counting rules. They evidently don't know us very well.

It boggles the mind how these people are in charge of running entire countries! The group of us could put together a much clearer, simpler guideline, (which includes mushrooms as a veggie, white potatoes and all the darn beans/lentils you want :D ).
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,070 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

It boggles the mind how these people are in charge of running entire countries! The group of us could put together a much clearer, simpler guideline, (which includes mushrooms as a veggie, white potatoes and all the darn beans/lentils you want :D ).

Keep in mind these were promulgated by our nutritionist types (people in general are notoriously bad at simplifying/explaining complicated things they know really a lot about, for an audience of people who not only don't know, but don't really care very much (so require a marketing approach).

Our politicians - those running the country - are a whole 'nother category of improbable. But I didn't really post this reply to critique politicians (too easy). Here's the on-topic reason for replying:

I forgot to mention: The US rules do let one count mushrooms as a vegetable, 1C = 1C. Even though they're a fungus, even though they have a bit of protein.

I don't know about UK.

US also counts white potatoes as a starchy vegetable, 1C = 1C (which kind of defeats my earlier argument about national authorities adjusting recommendations based on national eating patterns and their deficiencies. Potatoes are probably the one veg USAians do get in some quantity, on average).

US does have separate daily recommendation levels for starchy vegetables and non-starchy vegetables, though - can't resist a chance to complicate things! ;)
  • Nony_Mouse
    Options
    This is the New Zealand 5+ a Day site: http://www.5aday.co.nz/facts-and-tips/fruit-vegetable-info/.aspx

No lentils/beans for us (which I concur with but am totally counting for the challenge), but it looks otherwise fairly standard, including mushrooms. And a serving size is a handful cos everyone has hands ;) (the info on each fruit/veg also gives serving size in grams).
  • msr8898
    Options
    Well, I made it today...barely.
    884g of veg, and only counting 80g of the lentils I had today.
    I've got to figure out how to space it all out better....I ate over half of it all in one go, and it was just a wee bit much.

It's really interesting to learn about how it's calculated differently...it all seems unnecessarily complicated
  • southernoregongrape
    Options
    In the US here. 1/2 cup of fruit or cooked veggies= a serving. A small can of V8 =a serving. Fresh veggies/like salads 1 cup= a serving. And I think potatoes count too. Anyhoo.....
    I had 10 servings not counting the potato.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Options
    1513 g today, made up of all my usual stuff. I still have cals to spare so may have some more watermelon later.
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Just popping in here to say, high five to all and especially me. I figured out how to fix my lifelong struggle with constipation. Boom! There, I said it! Lol.

• dfwesq
    dfwesq Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    Just popping in here to say, high five to all and especially me. I figured out how to fix my lifelong struggle with constipation. Boom! There, I said it! Lol.

I guess "boom" is one way to say it. :D
  • French_Peasant
    French_Peasant Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options

High fives all around, and a toast to interesting observations in the Throne Room!
  • southernoregongrape
    Options
    I only got in 9 servings today, but I'm too stuffed to eat any more.