"You can eat whaver you want, as long as you eat at a deficit" is true, but it's garbage advice.

Options

Replies

• HeliumIsNoble
    HeliumIsNoble Posts: 1,213 Member
    Options
    Chilled Pizza Express margheritas are pretty low in calories and UK-based supermarket Tesco sells pizzas with carrot mixed into the dough, for kids.
  • southernoregongrape
    southernoregongrape Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    This is the kind of cat I have:

wce3zz1ab481.jpg

Pretty cat. Ours is about 14 years old, blind, and overly fond of treats over her expensive cat food. But I figure she is happy even if overweight and the vet says she is healthy.
  • dfwesq
    dfwesq Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    Did you ever get around to this, @dfwesq? Because I would nominate it for a sticky in a heartbeat if you could get something together. Since you're the expert and everything.

No, the post you're quoting isn't visible to me.

• kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    dfwesq wrote: »
    The problem is that we are reading it in context, thinking of the threads in which we've given such advice.
    Yes, very likely. New members will not know what you're thinking of though, nor will we have seen all of those threads even if we did a lot of background reading. So we'd read it differently.
    Also, you aren't saying that YOU were confused. You are assuming that other people (much more ignorant than you, I guess) might be confused. Maybe that assumption is problematic?
    I might be wrong that there's some connection between what answers people are given and whether they are confused. But I have seen people who actually are confused - or at least, they're eating what seems like a rather unhealthy diet. Whether that's because they're confused or because they don't care as long as they're losing weight, it's hard to say.

Fwiw, I was confused by what a number of posts (elsewhere on the board) meant. They certainly sounded like it truly made no difference what someone ate, as long as they met their calorie goals.

So you looked at people's diaries, saw they were eating mostly junk, and assumed they were doing so because people on the forum say to eat whatever you want and decided it was the forum's fault they eat that way?

For weight loss, it DOES NOT MATTER what you eat, as long as you hit your calorie goal. For satiety and for health, obviously you need to make smart choices and eat enough nutritionally balanced foods.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    I went to the Google for "Loco Rice" and got nothing. It makes me think of Pollo Loco, which is Mexican chicken & rice, which can have a lot of gooey cheesiness, so maybe it's something like that?
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    If you think that the healthy things in my diary mean I'm not eating what I want? That means you think that NO ONE would ever eat healthy things voluntarily. And what kind of nonsense is that? That's nonsense that leads to falling off the wagon, binging, and yo-yo dieting.

Admittedly, that is not something I ever really thought of in relation to posters here, and probably should when discussing this on forums. I easily get fruit since I enjoy it, but have a harder time getting veggies in sometimes. My husband on the other hand will not eat a fruit or veggie... period....end of story. People like this do exist.

• dfwesq
    dfwesq Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    So who has been given these confusing answers? Did you ask a question about what you could eat and get an answer that left you confused?
    Maybe I've misunderstood about what the rules are, but I saw someone else post something to the effect that we're not allowed to go around the boards quoting from other threads. Am I allowed to do that?

Fwiw, I'm not focused on "eat only junk food". A diet doesn't have to be 100% junk to be unhealthy. I'm not sure I could put a percentage on it, but eating a substantial amount of junk food each day can't be good for you either, and I see lots of posts from people saying they eat that way. (I'm pretty sure I shouldn't clip and post those.)
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    So who has been given these confusing answers? Did you ask a question about what you could eat and get an answer that left you confused?
    Maybe I've misunderstood about what the rules are, but I saw someone else post something to the effect that we're not allowed to go around the boards quoting from other threads. Am I allowed to do that?

Fwiw, I'm not focused on "eat only junk food". A diet doesn't have to be 100% junk to be unhealthy. I'm not sure I could put a percentage on it, but eating a substantial amount of junk food each day can't be good for you either, and I see lots of posts from people saying they eat that way. (I'm pretty sure I shouldn't clip and post those.)

Yeah... no. How do you know what's good for another person?
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options

Depends on your definition of junk, which is a pretty arbitrary term. I've had days when that's all I've eaten (take away food from chain outlets for example, or pizza or a ready meal or two) and have hit my macros and a good amount of micros pretty easily. In fact, sometimes my micros are better because I suck pretty hugely at meting those!
  • HeliumIsNoble
    HeliumIsNoble Posts: 1,213 Member
    Options
    @Savithny- good points, brilliantly made. You've articulated an unease with "bad/good foods" I share, but can never explain well. I wonder, have you ever encountered this short story on 'healthy' eating? It was published over a hundred years ago, and yet remains oddly relevant today.
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options

Just to help with your question on quoting from other thread:

That in and of itself is not necessarily a violation. We do have a guideline saying not to attack and stalk other posters, so where people run into trouble is they argue with someone in one discussion, then start bringing it up to pick a fight with them in another. It can be a problem if you cant talk without someone hassling you, and can be a problem in the new thread because others dont know the context and whole story when they get thrown in halfway through the arguement, so adds alot of confusion.

But if you think of a good example that applies to this discussion feel free to paraphrase it. Talking about advice you have seen given here makes since as the whole thread is about giving good advice.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

I believe it would be fine to link to the thread you think contains confusing advice, as the topic of this thread is that, basically.
    Fwiw, I'm not focused on "eat only junk food". A diet doesn't have to be 100% junk to be unhealthy.

But that's what the OP was talking about, as I illustrated by quoting it.
    I'm not sure I could put a percentage on it, but eating a substantial amount of junk food each day can't be good for you either, and I see lots of posts from people saying they eat that way. (I'm pretty sure I shouldn't clip and post those.)

If you were able to eat what you needed to cover nutritional bases (I used to log on Chron and I think it's the best site for that), what difference would it make if you also ate a lot of so-called "junk" (which I am reading as not having much but calories). A lot of people (IMO) are confused in that they focus on not eating "bad" foods (which usually would be totally fine) and ignore other things -- like they never eat bread or pasta, but also rarely eat vegetables. IMO, far healthier to get adequate vegetables, protein, fiber, healthy fats, and also some junk food, than to eat a totally "clean" diet (however you define that) and not eat many veg.)

Yes, there are some things that probably should be limited anyway (sodium, at least for some people, IMO sat fat, I avoid transfat, etc.), but for most people that's not going to be an issue if you focus on hitting nutritional goals. I think you are reading people saying "I have chocolate every day" or "I have fast food 5 times a week" to mean they eat "a substantial amount of junk food daily" but that might not be so at all.

The bigger point, though, is that OP was talking about weight loss, NOT nutrition (although I always do bring up nutrition). You can lose weight and not care that much about nutrition, although I wouldn't recommend it. What's wrong or confusing about acknowledging that?

I get a bit the sense that you think that we shouldn't be honest with people because they might use the true information to make choices you think are bad.

When threads are about nutrition, there is a lot of good information about nutrition given (there is often good information about nutrition given in "how do I lose weight" threads too, but for more in depth discussions of what nutrition requires -- a rather debated topic -- you do need to go to threads focusing on that.
This discussion has been closed.