"You can eat whaver you want, as long as you eat at a deficit" is true, but it's garbage advice.

Options

Replies

• Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    pinuplove wrote: »
    annacole94 wrote: »
    I'm sorry I mentioned pizza in my initial reply. I had literally finished a piece of Domino's cheese pizza that my kid started and had nothing but regrets for that.

Good pizza can be worth it and easy to make a balanced meal. I maintain that domino's is gross and have no plans to try novelty crust to test that theory.

Newbies need to buy some big girl panties* and not be quite so thin skinned.

*both genders welcome to try them on and see if it helps.

Domino's doesn't even qualify as pizza. :grimace:

Why not? I managed a Domino's pizza for years and we used the same things I use to make my pizzas at home. I never understood fast food shaming.

No fast food shaming here! I'm all over Pizza Hut carry out. I've just never liked Domino's. Our local one overdoes the sauce and skimps on the cheese, even when you ask for easy sauce/extra cheese. I'm sure yours was better :hushed:

I'm also a former fast-foodie. Worked at Taco Bell, even met my husband there (he was a customer). I can still wrap a mean burrito!

Haha that is awesome!
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry I mentioned pizza in my initial reply. I had literally finished a piece of Domino's cheese pizza that my kid started and had nothing but regrets for that.

Good pizza can be worth it and easy to make a balanced meal. I maintain that domino's is gross and have no plans to try novelty crust to test that theory.

Why not? I managed a Domino's pizza for years and we used the same things I use to make my pizzas at home. I never understood fast food shaming.

No fast food shaming here! I'm all over Pizza Hut carry out. I've just never liked Domino's. Our local one overdoes the sauce and skimps on the cheese, even when you ask for easy sauce/extra cheese. I'm sure yours was better :hushed:

I'm also a former fast-foodie. Worked at Taco Bell, even met my husband there (he was a customer). I can still wrap a mean burrito!

And our local ones are the opposite. Dominos is decent and the pizza hut is terrible.
  • cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    By the way, I have an 8" cast iron skillet, a flour tortilla fits perfect. I make an awesome personal size pizza in it, macros break down just about 30/30/40. Around 400 calories. My garbage advice is to eat some of that unhealthy crap!

This might be dinner tonight.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,951 Member
    Options
    kclaar11 wrote: »
    Emily3907 wrote: »
    "For things to change, you have to change." (Jim Rohn, 1930-2009).
    This is a fundamental truth and it applies to anyone trying to lose weight and keep it off every bit as much as the formula stating that to lose weight you must burn more calories every day than you consume.
    I was obese for most of my adult life, a serial yo-yo dieter who would try this and that diet, lose some weight and then put it back on again plus more.
    The reason I kept failing is actually very simple. I didn't change. I just did what the diets said I had to do, but they didn't teach me anything. I didn't learn any new eating habits.
    And this is what the OP is getting at with his post.
    If you tell an obese person they can eat what they want providing they stay under their daily calorie allocation, you are just sugar-coating the truth to make it easier to swallow.
    The simple truth is, if you eat nutritionally poor foods as part of a calorie controlled eating plan, then the weight you lose won't just be fat. Sure, you will lose some fat, but some of the weight you will lose is going to be the good part of your body (your muscle tissue, your organs, your skeleton, etc).
    That is the price you pay for eating nutritionally poor foods. They don't contain enough good stuff to maintain the important parts of your body.
    If you are already eating less food to stay under your calorie allocation, then it's even more important than ever that the food you eat had high nutritional value - what the hell else is your body going to use to sustain itself?
    So here is the real deal: if you want to lose weight and keep it off, better start learning some new eating habits.
    New eating habits means making food choices that are nutrient rich.
    Does it mean you can never eat another burger? Of course not, but you'd do far better learning how to make a decent burger yourself rather than eating the total non-food they serve at fast food outlets.
    "For things to change, you have to change."
    Embrace it, do it.
    During 2016 I lost 9 stone (126lb) and now I'm happily maintaining my weight under 11stone.
    I did that by changing my relationship with food and learning new eating habits.
    I don't eat pizza anymore. Why? Because it's nutritionally poor food.
    But I make a mean burger meal, a steak meal and a spaghetti bolognese meal all for less than 500 calories each.
    I learned how to eat well whilst consuming less.
    That's what this is about, and the rest can be summed up like this:
    "Suck it up or stay fat!".

I don't know how things are done elsewhere but they serve food in fast food restaurants here.

How is pizza nutritionally poor? It's just bread, sauce, cheese and you can add veggies and make your own. I never understand this argument.

Agreed. My homemade pepperoni pizza has 524 cals, 51 carbs, 25 fat and 27 protein in 2 slices. I consider that a pretty good macro ratio. Add veggies to that, even better.

You both illustrate my point perfectly.
    If your average pizza actually was just bread, cheese, veggies then you'd be some way to having a bit of nutrition - but they're not.
    Try reading the ingredients list on some pizza packaging, you'll see the list of stuff going in them is somewhat longer. Then read the nutritional information about those pizzas and see just how "healthy" they are.
    The home-made pizza does sound a ton better, specially the amount of protein there compared to ready-made ones. But I'll make a stab at two slices being what, two sixths of the pizza maybe?
    I've been a fat person remember, fat people don't eat two slices of pizza, they eat whole pizzas. And so do most ordinary people as well. Do you order half pizzas or quarter pizzas in a restaurant? Nope, didn't think so.
    So yeah, two-sixths of a pizza for 524 calories ain't bad, but that's knocking on the door of 1600 calories for the whole pizza.
    And guess who is eating the whole pizza?
    Yep, just about everyone...

You make a lot of blanket statements about people that do not seem to mesh with anything I have ever seen. I am sorry, but no, just about everyone is not eating the whole pizza. My experience has been that most people could not even stomach a whole pizza. Maybe I am the minority here, but most people I know only eat a few slices of pizza per meal. The only person I know that can eat that much in one sitting is my brother who happens to be 6'3" 350lbs and is very (and happily) obese.

How many calories in your whole pizzas? Ours have 1280 and when my OH's brother's family is in town, on Pizza Night, several of them will eat a whole pizza and no one but me has less than 5 pieces. (8 pieces in a pizza.)
  • HG210
    HG210 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    [
    HG210 wrote: »
    When did I say that???? What are you talking about???? In no way was my message cryptic. It was do what makes you happy. IF you think that it is because of your own insecurities.

Do what makes me happy?? You mean like literally do whatever makes me happy?!?. Well that sounds completely irresponsible and inappropriate advice. Who doesn't enjoy doing extremely dangerous and harmful things? Who doesn't enjoy eating only junk food? This is terrible advice!! Why do you hate me??

Hate is a strong word but that is what I mean. That is exactly what I mean. Do what makes you happy. If you don't know as an adult not to do something that is harmful to you, well that is one you.

That's kind of the whole point here. It's not "garbage advice" to tell people to eat what they like because the vast majority of people instinctively understand that will not include things that make them feel ill. Yet that was your argument for agreeing with the OP.

Ok, let me clarify. That was not my argument. I had no argument. I just had lunch. It was Pizza. I don't generally eat pizza. It made me feel bad. Not sick, not in pain, not hurting. Just like when I eat any other fast food. Fast food is not something I generally eat, it's not something I ever gave my kid, it's not something I recommend. I am not big on eating out at all. I cook most of my meals. However, I do on OCCASION eat fast food. Like I did today with a friend for lunch, or if I am traveling and the trip is long. So I am not "condemning" (as it was said) any one for eating it. I could careless what you eat. Your an adult. Do what you want. If you take that as me judging you or an oxymoron again I don't care. Your an adult.

For me, not you, but for me I agree with the OP.

Now maybe some people here need support and I get that.
    Like one young lady said she eats what she wants she would rather die young and happy and do what she wants. I TOTALLY AGREE. Do what makes you happy!!!! Eat what you want but your way might not be my way if is eating out a lot or having fast food on a daily basis.

You just made two different conflicting arguments in one statement. Wow.

I did not realize I was arguing a point. I thought I was clarifying my statement but, ok.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    CSARdiver wrote: »
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    This is a fundamental truth and it applies to anyone trying to lose weight and keep it off every bit as much as the formula stating that to lose weight you must burn more calories every day than you consume.
    I was obese for most of my adult life, a serial yo-yo dieter who would try this and that diet, lose some weight and then put it back on again plus more.
    The reason I kept failing is actually very simple. I didn't change. I just did what the diets said I had to do, but they didn't teach me anything. I didn't learn any new eating habits.
    If you tell an obese person they can eat what they want providing they stay under their daily calorie allocation, you are just sugar-coating the truth to make it easier to swallow.
    The simple truth is, if you eat nutritionally poor foods as part of a calorie controlled eating plan, then the weight you lose won't just be fat. Sure, you will lose some fat, but some of the weight you will lose is going to be the good part of your body (your muscle tissue, your organs, your skeleton, etc).
    That is the price you pay for eating nutritionally poor foods. They don't contain enough good stuff to maintain the important parts of your body.
    If you are already eating less food to stay under your calorie allocation, then it's even more important than ever that the food you eat had high nutritional value - what the hell else is your body going to use to sustain itself?
    So here is the real deal: if you want to lose weight and keep it off, better start learning some new eating habits.
    Does it mean you can never eat another burger? Of course not, but you'd do far better learning how to make a decent burger yourself rather than eating the total non-food they serve at fast food outlets.
    Embrace it, do it.
    During 2016 I lost 9 stone (126lb) and now I'm happily maintaining my weight under 11stone.
    I did that by changing my relationship with food and learning new eating habits.
    But I make a mean burger meal, a steak meal and a spaghetti bolognese meal all for less than 500 calories each.
    Disagree. Get incarcerated for a year. Bet you'll lose weight and maybe even come out more muscular looking.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

Or enlist in the military.

Yeah, chow hall slop isn't great...leanest and meanest I've ever been in my life...
  • HG210
    HG210 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    This whole thread almost had me thinking I don't like pizza. SMH. I'm out! Good day
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options

crust is sub par...sauce is meh...their sausage is weird
  • kclaar11
    kclaar11 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    kclaar11 wrote: »
    Embrace it, do it.

I don't know how things are done elsewhere but they serve food in fast food restaurants here.

How is pizza nutritionally poor? It's just bread, sauce, cheese and you can add veggies and make your own. I never understand this argument.

Agreed. My homemade pepperoni pizza has 524 cals, 51 carbs, 25 fat and 27 protein in 2 slices. I consider that a pretty good macro ratio. Add veggies to that, even better.

You both illustrate my point perfectly.
    If your average pizza actually was just bread, cheese, veggies then you'd be some way to having a bit of nutrition - but they're not.
    Try reading the ingredients list on some pizza packaging, you'll see the list of stuff going in them is somewhat longer. Then read the nutritional information about those pizzas and see just how "healthy" they are.
    The home-made pizza does sound a ton better, specially the amount of protein there compared to ready-made ones. But I'll make a stab at two slices being what, two sixths of the pizza maybe?
    I've been a fat person remember, fat people don't eat two slices of pizza, they eat whole pizzas. And so do most ordinary people as well. Do you order half pizzas or quarter pizzas in a restaurant? Nope, didn't think so.
    So yeah, two-sixths of a pizza for 524 calories ain't bad, but that's knocking on the door of 1600 calories for the whole pizza.
    And guess who is eating the whole pizza?
    Yep, just about everyone...

You make a lot of blanket statements about people that do not seem to mesh with anything I have ever seen. I am sorry, but no, just about everyone is not eating the whole pizza. My experience has been that most people could not even stomach a whole pizza. Maybe I am the minority here, but most people I know only eat a few slices of pizza per meal. The only person I know that can eat that much in one sitting is my brother who happens to be 6'3" 350lbs and is very (and happily) obese.

How many calories in your whole pizzas? Ours have 1280 and when my OH's brother's family is in town, on Pizza Night, several of them will eat a whole pizza and no one but me has less than 5 pieces. (8 pieces in a pizza.)

I will get the numbers for you, and let you know, but I can assure you it is nowhere near that much. Then again, I do not pile toppings on top of mine. And, in that case, that would make you the exception, not the rule. As you can see from the many people that have posted after me, very few people seem to eat whole pizzas in one sitting. Even so, that would equate to 1280, not 1600 as was mentioned.
  • TyFit1908
    TyFit1908 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I get where the OP is coming from. You can lose if you eat what you want and stay within your calorie goals, but do you have the will power to eat what you want within moderation. Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't. As an emotional eater, some foods are very difficult for me to have in moderation. So I have to recognize, that when I am going through stressful times, I will likely not eat just 3 cookies. So best to avoid them altogether.

Also, I don't think there is anything wrong with adopting healthier habits, which may include limiting or eliminating foods that have very little health benefits. Better to do it now, then later when you are faced with many ailments that you have no choice. My mother has congestive heart failure and I'm her caretaker. She is allowed, 2000 mg of sodium a day, that virtually eliminates all processed foods. She is also diabetic so sugar must also be monitored. It isn't easy preparing her food. She still wants crap, but it isn't an option for her now. She is not overweight, but has been at different points in her life. As someone coming from a family with a history of heart disease and diabetes, it is about more than just calories.

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,951 Member
    Options
    karahm78 wrote: »
    I've been around MFP for years, and I've gained and lost weight more than once.... I have lurked pretty much daily in the forums but I don't post much. I naturally tend to be one of those people that "fall off the wagon" the first day my calories are in the red, "screw it, I've already blown it so I'm gonna eat everything in sight". Then I quit logging and then come back to MFP to lose the same pounds that I've gained. NOT a good cycle.

I have learned the hard way through trial and error, that coming to embrace moderation and not restricting myself to the point that one day/meal will throw me off the wagon is NOT garbage advice. I have to eat less overall that I burn, simple enough. I learned the hard way that making better choices most of the time makes me more satiated, have some fiber/protein (and avocados), but make room for what I enjoy as well. The veteran posters here were right, and I just needed to embrace what I have read over the years and maybe as I get a little older a little more wisdom and been there, done that.

Friday night we went out for Thai food, I had some edamame and a regular entrée, ate a little of the rice but not the whole bowl. Saturday afternoon had sushi, and for dinner I had a huge pita with cucumber/tomato salad. Sunday I was up a pound (sodium bombs!). Years ago I would have freaked, now I drank some water and kept on... today, I am a pound less than I was before the weekend started. Eating food I enjoy and still losing? I'll take it!

Veterans, your posts are not for nothing.... lots of us are listening. Some of it is the school of hard knocks, but your work is appreciated. Because if I listened to people other than you fine folks, I would be drinking Herbalife and sleeping with an It Works wrap on. LOL The woo is everywhere!

This is my experience exactly. Actually, some of the threads/veterans also made me realize I had some "food issues" that lead me to seeing a therapist. No one directly said I should see a therapist, but seeing this "moderation" mentality scared me and that was not a healthy way of thinking. I have done so many diets over the past 10 years, believed so much woo and it all really distorted my thinking about how to effectively lose weight and not be miserable. I believed I had to follow a certain set of "rules" or I was going to fail. Those "rules" were actually doing me more harm than good. It was not until I started following the moderation/non-restriction mentality that it started to actually click. I still have work to do and I still have a lot to lose, but I finally feel like I can lose the weight, keep it off and not be miserable in the process.

There are so many myths, misnomers and business driven claims out there regarding weight loss. It can make it hard to know what will work and it can also cause yo yo dieting, which can lead to food issues. Sometimes the simplest advice (no matter how blunt) and going back to the basics is the most effective way to approach weight loss.

For the record, I just made chocolate chip cookie dough. I plan to freeze the dough, so I can pull out individual servings over the next six weeks. In the past, I would have baked all the cookies today and they probably would have been gone by the weekend. :D

@Emily3907 Sweet Jesus you just CHANGED MY LIFE!!! I've been craving homemade peanut butter cookies for weeks and it never dawned on me that I could FREEZE THE DOUGH!!! Usually I pawn them off on coworkers but now I can keep them all for myself. GENIUS!

I learned about freezing raw dough from Nigella. BEST chocolate chocolate chip cookie recipe ever! In fact, I think I decrease the amount of chips cuz I just can't cram them all in there.

https://www.nigella.com/recipes/totally-chocolate-chocolate-chip-cookies
This discussion has been closed.