"You can eat whaver you want, as long as you eat at a deficit" is true, but it's garbage advice.

Options

Replies

• HG210
    HG210 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    HG210 wrote: »
    HG210 wrote: »
    When did I say that???? What are you talking about???? In no way was my message cryptic. It was do what makes you happy. IF you think that it is because of your own insecurities.

Do what makes me happy?? You mean like literally do whatever makes me happy?!?. Well that sounds completely irresponsible and inappropriate advice. Who doesn't enjoy doing extremely dangerous and harmful things? Who doesn't enjoy eating only junk food? This is terrible advice!! Why do you hate me??

Hate is a strong word but that is what I mean. That is exactly what I mean. Do what makes you happy. If you don't know as an adult not to do something that is harmful to you, well that is one you.

That's kind of the whole point here. It's not "garbage advice" to tell people to eat what they like because the vast majority of people instinctively understand that will not include things that make them feel ill. Yet that was your argument for agreeing with the OP.

Ok, let me clarify. That was not my argument. I had no argument. I just had lunch. It was Pizza. I don't generally eat pizza. It made me feel bad. Not sick, not in pain, not hurting. Just like when I eat any other fast food. Fast food is not something I generally eat, it's not something I ever gave my kid, it's not something I recommend. I am not big on eating out at all. I cook most of my meals. However, I do on OCCASION eat fast food. Like I did today with a friend for lunch, or if I am traveling and the trip is long. So I am not "condemning" (as it was said) any one for eating it. I could careless what you eat. Your an adult. Do what you want. If you take that as me judging you or an oxymoron again I don't care. Your an adult.

For me, not you, but for me I agree with the OP.

Now maybe some people here need support and I get that.
    Like one young lady said she eats what she wants she would rather die young and happy and do what she wants. I TOTALLY AGREE. Do what makes you happy!!!! Eat what you want but your way might not be my way if is eating out a lot or having fast food on a daily basis.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Right here! I would rather have a lot of food than a little bit. If I have some teensy-weensy, tee-niney, pigmy sized pea shaped piece of something magically delicious I will not be satisfied. I save the junk for when I REALLY want it. I may blow my calories that day but man is it ever worth it when I do! Some people really are content with two Oreos or a half-cup of ice cream. I I eat that and it's gonna be on like Donkey-Kong.

I consider this a form of moderation too, though.

One form is eat a serving (or whatever amount regularly fits in your calories) more regularly. For example, I went through a stage where I had about 200 calories for dessert every night. I'd have ice cream or cheese usually, or else a more indulgent dinner.

Another is a rare blow out. There are some things I'm not interested in eating in moderation or are hard to fit -- a Mexican restaurant, Indian restaurant, Ethiopian restaurant, rare multi-course tasting menu at a new place, maybe. So I do them more rarely (at maintenance it doesn't have to be that rarely, as I tend to do a weekend long run and long bike, but depends), but when I do them I don't try to fit a calorie goal or skip the naan and get the tandoori chicken and so on. I eat what I want and without really worrying about it and since it's not something I do weekly regardless of workout it doesn't matter. It's a form of moderation. If I felt like that about ice cream or cake (I really don't, I'd rather just have a sensible amount and not overdo), then I'd follow a similar schedule there. But I wouldn't claim that meant "eat what you want within your calories" didn't work, since that would still be what I was doing.

I love pie, I have it basically on holidays only anymore, because baking it is a bad idea unless I have other people to eat it, and because if I bake it I will want more than a piece. I haven't cut out pie and wouldn't tell anyone else you need to cut out pie. 'Cause that's not so, even though I don't eat much pie anymore.

Moderation comes in many forms. I choose to abstain more often. However the kind of moderation most often referred to around here is the "make it fit on a daily basis" moderation.

Then why do so many posts advocating for moderation say "sure, you can have X just maybe not every day?"

Because there are so many thousands of comments on these boards you will easily find "so many" of almost anything if you look for it. Many push making it fit daily, many advocate a cheat day, many advocate saving it for one when you just want it so bad you don't want to resist. You tell me why so many different views, opinions and ways of eating exist. There are many different types of people on these boards is the likely answer.

You're projecting when you say what other people mean by "moderation."
    As a strong supporter of moderating, I would tell you that moderation entails controlling portion sizes on some foods and frequency of intake on others. Which foods fall into which category varies by individual. Also, moderation via control of frequency could mean only having one a day vs three a day or it could mean only having that item once a week or it could mean only having that food on holidays/special occasions.

Considering that you feel so strongly that the majority of moderation proponents on MFP think of moderation only as fitting treats into each and every day, I challenge you to find 3 frequent posters who support the concept of moderation but disagree with my definition above.

When a person says what they mean, and they say it a LOT around here I am repeating not projecting. I speak on what I see. You don't even have to like it.
    If they say it so much, please provide just one quote of someone claiming that moderation is strictly defined as "eating a little every day" and doesn't apply to the approach of moderating frequency of consumption.
  • brittyn3
    brittyn3 Posts: 481 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Yeah, I'm one who would eat a large sized deep-dish pizza. All in one sitting with a 2L bottle of Pepsi. Meat lovers no less. Gave me heartburn, but worth every minute of it. I often would just sleep downstairs so I didn't have to bother the wife with getting Gaviscon every 1/2 hour.

Guess what I had last night. 1/2 a thin crust meat lovers pizza. Gonna have the other half tonight. Oh and I had a micro-brewed beer with it last night and will probably have a Guinness with it tonight. No heartburn, no gaviscon and it fits into my calories.

I'm happy with it.

I think you summed up the ideal outcome for many on here. I think that's what the goal is isn't it? Develop a good/healthy relationship with food. Eat what you would like and things you love, but still fit it within your calorie goal and move on.

ETA: Ideal outcome in regards to food/relationship. Making the assumption weight is getting healthier as well.
  • ThatUserNameIsAllReadyTaken
    ThatUserNameIsAllReadyTaken Posts: 1,530 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Right here! I would rather have a lot of food than a little bit. If I have some teensy-weensy, tee-niney, pigmy sized pea shaped piece of something magically delicious I will not be satisfied. I save the junk for when I REALLY want it. I may blow my calories that day but man is it ever worth it when I do! Some people really are content with two Oreos or a half-cup of ice cream. I I eat that and it's gonna be on like Donkey-Kong.

I consider this a form of moderation too, though.

One form is eat a serving (or whatever amount regularly fits in your calories) more regularly. For example, I went through a stage where I had about 200 calories for dessert every night. I'd have ice cream or cheese usually, or else a more indulgent dinner.

Another is a rare blow out. There are some things I'm not interested in eating in moderation or are hard to fit -- a Mexican restaurant, Indian restaurant, Ethiopian restaurant, rare multi-course tasting menu at a new place, maybe. So I do them more rarely (at maintenance it doesn't have to be that rarely, as I tend to do a weekend long run and long bike, but depends), but when I do them I don't try to fit a calorie goal or skip the naan and get the tandoori chicken and so on. I eat what I want and without really worrying about it and since it's not something I do weekly regardless of workout it doesn't matter. It's a form of moderation. If I felt like that about ice cream or cake (I really don't, I'd rather just have a sensible amount and not overdo), then I'd follow a similar schedule there. But I wouldn't claim that meant "eat what you want within your calories" didn't work, since that would still be what I was doing.

I love pie, I have it basically on holidays only anymore, because baking it is a bad idea unless I have other people to eat it, and because if I bake it I will want more than a piece. I haven't cut out pie and wouldn't tell anyone else you need to cut out pie. 'Cause that's not so, even though I don't eat much pie anymore.

Moderation comes in many forms. I choose to abstain more often. However the kind of moderation most often referred to around here is the "make it fit on a daily basis" moderation.

Then why do so many posts advocating for moderation say "sure, you can have X just maybe not every day?"

Because there are so many thousands of comments on these boards you will easily find "so many" of almost anything if you look for it. Many push making it fit daily, many advocate a cheat day, many advocate saving it for one when you just want it so bad you don't want to resist. You tell me why so many different views, opinions and ways of eating exist. There are many different types of people on these boards is the likely answer.

You're projecting when you say what other people mean by "moderation."
    As a strong supporter of moderating, I would tell you that moderation entails controlling portion sizes on some foods and frequency of intake on others. Which foods fall into which category varies by individual. Also, moderation via control of frequency could mean only having one a day vs three a day or it could mean only having that item once a week or it could mean only having that food on holidays/special occasions.

Considering that you feel so strongly that the majority of moderation proponents on MFP think of moderation only as fitting treats into each and every day, I challenge you to find 3 frequent posters who support the concept of moderation but disagree with my definition above.

When a person says what they mean, and they say it a LOT around here I am repeating not projecting. I speak on what I see. You don't even have to like it.
    If they say it so much, please provide just one quote of someone claiming that moderation is strictly defined as "eating a little every day" and doesn't apply to the approach of moderating frequency of consumption.

Please go read for yourself. I am not going to sift through threads or quotes to help you see what you likely already see but refuse to admit to seeing. This whole thread has turned into a neighborhood brawl in the most absurd way. Enjoy the rest of your stay here on this endlessly growing MFP rumble.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,618 Member
    Options
    "For things to change, you have to change." (Jim Rohn, 1930-2009).
    This is a fundamental truth and it applies to anyone trying to lose weight and keep it off every bit as much as the formula stating that to lose weight you must burn more calories every day than you consume.
    I was obese for most of my adult life, a serial yo-yo dieter who would try this and that diet, lose some weight and then put it back on again plus more.
    The reason I kept failing is actually very simple. I didn't change. I just did what the diets said I had to do, but they didn't teach me anything. I didn't learn any new eating habits.
    And this is what the OP is getting at with his post.
    If you tell an obese person they can eat what they want providing they stay under their daily calorie allocation, you are just sugar-coating the truth to make it easier to swallow.
    The simple truth is, if you eat nutritionally poor foods as part of a calorie controlled eating plan, then the weight you lose won't just be fat. Sure, you will lose some fat, but some of the weight you will lose is going to be the good part of your body (your muscle tissue, your organs, your skeleton, etc).
    That is the price you pay for eating nutritionally poor foods. They don't contain enough good stuff to maintain the important parts of your body.
    If you are already eating less food to stay under your calorie allocation, then it's even more important than ever that the food you eat had high nutritional value - what the hell else is your body going to use to sustain itself?
    So here is the real deal: if you want to lose weight and keep it off, better start learning some new eating habits.
    New eating habits means making food choices that are nutrient rich.
    Does it mean you can never eat another burger? Of course not, but you'd do far better learning how to make a decent burger yourself rather than eating the total non-food they serve at fast food outlets.
    "For things to change, you have to change."
    Embrace it, do it.
    During 2016 I lost 9 stone (126lb) and now I'm happily maintaining my weight under 11stone.
    I did that by changing my relationship with food and learning new eating habits.
    I don't eat pizza anymore. Why? Because it's nutritionally poor food.
    But I make a mean burger meal, a steak meal and a spaghetti bolognese meal all for less than 500 calories each.
    I learned how to eat well whilst consuming less.
    That's what this is about, and the rest can be summed up like this:
    "Suck it up or stay fat!".
    Disagree. Get incarcerated for a year. Bet you'll lose weight and maybe even come out more muscular looking.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    mph323 wrote: »
    Emily3907 wrote: »
    "For things to change, you have to change." (Jim Rohn, 1930-2009).
    This is a fundamental truth and it applies to anyone trying to lose weight and keep it off every bit as much as the formula stating that to lose weight you must burn more calories every day than you consume.
    I was obese for most of my adult life, a serial yo-yo dieter who would try this and that diet, lose some weight and then put it back on again plus more.
    The reason I kept failing is actually very simple. I didn't change. I just did what the diets said I had to do, but they didn't teach me anything. I didn't learn any new eating habits.
    And this is what the OP is getting at with his post.
    If you tell an obese person they can eat what they want providing they stay under their daily calorie allocation, you are just sugar-coating the truth to make it easier to swallow.
    The simple truth is, if you eat nutritionally poor foods as part of a calorie controlled eating plan, then the weight you lose won't just be fat. Sure, you will lose some fat, but some of the weight you will lose is going to be the good part of your body (your muscle tissue, your organs, your skeleton, etc).
    That is the price you pay for eating nutritionally poor foods. They don't contain enough good stuff to maintain the important parts of your body.
    If you are already eating less food to stay under your calorie allocation, then it's even more important than ever that the food you eat had high nutritional value - what the hell else is your body going to use to sustain itself?
    So here is the real deal: if you want to lose weight and keep it off, better start learning some new eating habits.
    New eating habits means making food choices that are nutrient rich.
    Does it mean you can never eat another burger? Of course not, but you'd do far better learning how to make a decent burger yourself rather than eating the total non-food they serve at fast food outlets.
    "For things to change, you have to change."
    Embrace it, do it.
    During 2016 I lost 9 stone (126lb) and now I'm happily maintaining my weight under 11stone.
    I did that by changing my relationship with food and learning new eating habits.
    I don't eat pizza anymore. Why? Because it's nutritionally poor food.
    But I make a mean burger meal, a steak meal and a spaghetti bolognese meal all for less than 500 calories each.
    I learned how to eat well whilst consuming less.
    That's what this is about, and the rest can be summed up like this:
    "Suck it up or stay fat!".

I don't know how things are done elsewhere but they serve food in fast food restaurants here.

How is pizza nutritionally poor? It's just bread, sauce, cheese and you can add veggies and make your own. I never understand this argument.

Agreed. My homemade pepperoni pizza has 524 cals, 51 carbs, 25 fat and 27 protein in 2 slices. I consider that a pretty good macro ratio. Add veggies to that, even better.

You both illustrate my point perfectly.
    If your average pizza actually was just bread, cheese, veggies then you'd be some way to having a bit of nutrition - but they're not.
    Try reading the ingredients list on some pizza packaging, you'll see the list of stuff going in them is somewhat longer. Then read the nutritional information about those pizzas and see just how "healthy" they are.
    The home-made pizza does sound a ton better, specially the amount of protein there compared to ready-made ones. But I'll make a stab at two slices being what, two sixths of the pizza maybe?
    I've been a fat person remember, fat people don't eat two slices of pizza, they eat whole pizzas. And so do most ordinary people as well. Do you order half pizzas or quarter pizzas in a restaurant? Nope, didn't think so.
    So yeah, two-sixths of a pizza for 524 calories ain't bad, but that's knocking on the door of 1600 calories for the whole pizza.
    And guess who is eating the whole pizza?
    Yep, just about everyone...

Just...wow. Fat people eat whole pizzas, not two slices, huh? And somehow packaging pizza sucks all the nutrients out of it. Because there's a long list of ingredients. Huh. So you know what we all eat, how we eat it and what made us fat. Huh.

I've posted this before, but I think it bears repeating here. My diet is heavy on frozen meals, protein/energy bars, and other unnatural foods. MFP records the macro and micro nutrients they contain. Guess what - they add up pretty good at the end of the day. I lost 30 lbs because I was on the edge of requiring statins and blood pressure meds. I'm no longer anywhere near that state and I haven't changed my diet at all, just the amounts I eat. Like wine or dessert after dinner, not both. I eat what I like, which is food.

Actually I do know what made you fat.
    You ate too much and didn't move enough.
    But that's the same for all of us.

It's a shame that the focus here is mainly on pizza. I pointed out that I don't eat pizza anymore and stated that the reason is because it's nutritionally poor.
    That's a generalisation of course, but it's also a fact that most pizzas out there are nutritionally poor.

Whether you believe it or not is totally up to you. You won't read many package labels that say something other than the pizza is high in calories/carbs, high in salt, high in fat and low in protein.
    Packaging a pizza doesn't suck the nutrition out of it, it was simply lacking in the first place.

The message I hoped to convey about food choices is that people want to question what they are eating, check it out to see if what they believe about it is actually true.
    Then make some changes.

I'm sorry, but the bolded is patently false. How is a thin crust pizza with tomato sauce, cheese, onions, mushrooms, and peppers "nutritionally poor"? This is a serious, honest question. I guess if the only pizza you ever eat comes out of the freezer section of the grocery store, and you are afraid of "chemicals", I guess I could see how you might come to that conclusion. But I'm just not following you :confused:

Indeed. Here are some sample pizzas (thin crust, they are supposed to be NY style, heresy that that is) from the Robert's place I mentioned above:

Seafood
    Roasted clams, calamari, shrimp, fresh mozzarella, garlic, EVOO

Chicken Breast and Spinach
    with artichoke hearts, Fontina cheese and lemon zest

Huevos Rancheros
    Black bean, chorizo, queso fresco, scallion, cilantro, salsa verde and eggs ( gluten free crust n/a)

Prosciutto and Arugula
    with fresh mozzarella, lemon vinaigrette, grape tomatoes

Brussels Sprout and Applewood Smoked Bacon
    with dates, smoked mozzarella and balsamic glaze

Create Your Own
    Choose fresh mozzarella with EVOO or tomato sauce, then add your favorite toppings: Artichoke, Basil leaves, Caramelized Onions, Tomato, Garlic, Calabrian peppers, Roasted Peppers, Jalapeño Pepper, Red onion, Spinach, Fennel Sausage, Meatballs, Pepperoni, Chicken, Bacon, Prosciutto, Shrimp

I mean, yeah, they have fewer vegetables and often a bit less protein than I like in my usual meal, but that's why I get a salad on the side and have a bit less pizza, and also why I might compensate with more protein and veg (and less fat and carbs) at my other two meals of the day.

I don't get why pizza is supposed to be "nutritionally poor" at all.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    annacole94 wrote: »
    I'm sorry I mentioned pizza in my initial reply. I had literally finished a piece of Domino's cheese pizza that my kid started and had nothing but regrets for that.

Good pizza can be worth it and easy to make a balanced meal. I maintain that domino's is gross and have no plans to try novelty crust to test that theory.

Newbies need to buy some big girl panties* and not be quite so thin skinned.

*both genders welcome to try them on and see if it helps.

Domino's doesn't even qualify as pizza. :grimace:
  • brittyn3
    brittyn3 Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    brittyn3 wrote: »
    ETA: Idea outcome in regards to food/relationship. Making the assumption weight is healthy as well.

Not at a healthy weight yet. But am down from 330 last Sept to 250, so I've made damn good headway towards it.

That's fantastic! And what I was trying to say, maybe healthier would be a better word. :)

Kudos to you for all your hard work, it's inspiring
This discussion has been closed.