"You can eat whaver you want, as long as you eat at a deficit" is true, but it's garbage advice.

Replies

• Blubberbuster1
    Blubberbuster1 Posts: 265 Member
    Would just like to point out, over the weekend I ate out at restaurants 3 times.
    Fish Tacos, Nachos and 2 Guinness's And a loaded chocolate ice cream cookie dessert thing.
    The day after I had Fish Tacos again, 6 Tall Boy Bud's, and a BigMcMeal at 3am.
    I did show some increase in water weight of course, 7lb to be exact, but today I weighed less than I did Friday before all this.
    I'm at my lowest since I've started. During my 5 weeks since I started I have stayed on point with my meals.
    No regrets.
  • prattiger65
    prattiger65 Posts: 1,657 Member
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    ugh.gif

Are people really this lacking in common sense and dumb?

Yes
  • AntoinetteAngus
    AntoinetteAngus Posts: 58 Member
    I think it's silly to assume that by saying, "You can eat whatever and still lose weight if you're at a deficit" that people are going to take that and say, "Only junk for me...I will never eat a full meal again, just small bites of all the yummy junk food I love!" I mean come on, you really think that everyone out there is either eating "clean" or just shoving junk in their face and staying under calories?

Honestly cutting out everything I love is so unbelievably unsustainable for me...yesterday I had a free ice cream cone...I came in way under calories. Most days I eat veggies and lean meat, whole grain, and get in plenty of water...and most days I can also fit in a little chocolate or a treat of some kind. I would be completely lying if I said I hadn't spent almost all of my daily calories at Taco Bell on a few occasions. Making this a sustainable lifestyle change needs to allow flexibility. Most of the time I eat healthy foods and make good choices...but dang some times I would do anything for a Cheesy Gordita Crunch...see? Balance. It seems sad to deny yourself everything that isn't deemed healthy.

I love your comment here because you are depicting what you normally eat (which is healthy) without disregarding the fact that you indulge in treats too and that is what we're supposed to do. This is completely and totally socially responsible. The issue is only with those who fail to depict their full story and irresponsibly state that 'you can 'eat whatever you want' as long as your within your calorie goals. Why not say...you know what....some days I eat healthy, some days I love to eat junk food...

I love your comment because it is not misleading to others in any way and thank you for sharing!
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Quick comment for @dfwesq Like you, I've moderated board elsewhere. But there is a different "feel" here when it comes to new posters. Anywhere else I've posted, people who come to a board lurk first to get a feel for what the board is like, and that simply doesn't happen here. I've no idea why or maybe the boards I participate in are different and this is the norm.

Yes, this is one thing that has surprised me too. I lurked first and read some of the stickies, and I didn't start a thread for ages and ages. Because that was my pattern. I also always searched for threads on a topic of interest before posting, although I know we are not supposed to suggest that that would be better forum behavior.

I think it's kind of odd that people don't here, but I am sure we are all biased by where we are most familiar with.

I am also used to forums where debate is common (sometimes polite, sometimes less so, depending on the forum, although I like polite better). Here lots of people seem to take disagreement as, well, mean, which I find puzzling. My main other forum was a book one, but I've also played around or had a lengthier relationship in forums that discussed politics, law, religion, and music -- all topics that can be contentious (and indeed I recall a knock-down blow-out about Great Gatsby back in the day and a long debate about postmodern lit (mostly what it is and does it suck or not), so the internet can be weird).

I get the sense that the newbie posters on MFP are more likely to be familiar with areas of the internet I am not (YouTube followers, instagram, of course FB), and less so some of the areas I find most interesting (and some maybe aren't particularly into forums or different forum cultures -- this one definitely is moderated much more than the others I've been part of, even though they were quite friendly overall, so nothing bad came of light moderation and self-moderation).

I admit that all of these impressions may be related to the fact that I am old (I remember usenet), and I never did fitness internet pre MFP.

I have to agree with this. I too lurked for a long time before posting anything. I read stickies in any forum I visit before I do anything else. It always puzzled me how people can post questions that a few seconds on Google can answer as well as not read anything before posting.

I was also a member of a certain popular baby board and if you want to see mean drop a cloth diapering is the only way thread and watch the explosion. :laugh:

Breastfeeding vs. Bottle is way worse than cloth diapering :wink:

I also lurked and read everything before I started posting. I thought that was basic internet etiquette.

One of the things regarding the push back veterans see from newbies I think has to do with the psychology of dieters. How to phrase this... dieting is personal. A lot of people are mired in a set of complex feelings regarding their weight and losing that weight and bring all of that with them when they come to these forums.

I'm not saying this justifies how they act, mind you. I think, in an ideal world, people should accept responsibility for their actions and be civil to each other and give other people credit for treating them with good intent. Saying that, I know that a lot of people on certain parts of their path to weight loss aren't really at a place where they're truly accepting full responsibility for their part in being overweight in the first place, and are defensive and come here in that sort of vulnerable fragility that being on the defense places you.

It puts anyone giving them advice in a damned if you do, damned if you don't position.

Cloth vs. disposable and breast vs. bottle, oh memories! Don't forget c-sections, VBACs, and the holiness of unmedicated childbirth! I'm so *kitten* happy my kids are older now and don't give a crap about how they were birthed, diapered, or fed. Age and experience has given me some perspective I didn't have as a new mom.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    edited March 2017
    pinuplove wrote: »
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    Me too WG, and with that I am out. #ragequit

Today is my 1495th day of consecutive logging on MFP and I've been telling my friends list that I'm considering an epic ragequit before I hit 1500 days. Maybe this will be the catalyst.

Please don't.

Quick comment for @dfwesq Like you, I've moderated board elsewhere. But there is a different "feel" here when it comes to new posters. Anywhere else I've posted, people who come to a board lurk first to get a feel for what the board is like, and that simply doesn't happen here. I've no idea why or maybe the boards I participate in are different and this is the norm. For example, given the number of new people who come in asking about ACV without doing a single search first, is astounding. Now they all come here after seeing it somewhere (Facebook it seems), buying it, starting to drink it and then come looking for people who are doing the same. A quick search will very quickly tell them how useless it is, and how it is not taken seriously here. But they don't even do that basic search. I admit it astounds me. But, as per the rules here, that is acceptable. And it is considered mean to ask them to do a search.

Now, when I started, I lurked. For a fair bit. Fortunately, what I saw was people posting to research, challenging those who were expressing an unfounded opinion as fact and generally trying to be reasoned and rational in their approach (talking most veterans here). I saw Dr. Oz essentially ridiculed and most diet fads called just that. In other words, I knew I would fit in just fine and started learning, then posting.

How, or why was it different for your?

Not 100% sure this has anything to do with it, but I know for me weight loss is a relatively selfish endeavor. In most other aspects of my life, my efforts are dedicated to others - spouse, children, work, etc. MFP is all about me :lol: (But I still lurked first and at least conduct a board search before posting any questions I have that aren't covered by that, which is rare!)

Everyone thinks they are a special snowflake.

And this is why we're friends.

It's because I'm a special snowflake, isn't it? I KNEW I was the specialest special snowflake of all!

Sorry hon--but you're not. I am.

Dammit! The username don't lie :disappointed:
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    Me too WG, and with that I am out. #ragequit

Today is my 1495th day of consecutive logging on MFP and I've been telling my friends list that I'm considering an epic ragequit before I hit 1500 days. Maybe this will be the catalyst.

Please don't.

Quick comment for @dfwesq Like you, I've moderated board elsewhere. But there is a different "feel" here when it comes to new posters. Anywhere else I've posted, people who come to a board lurk first to get a feel for what the board is like, and that simply doesn't happen here. I've no idea why or maybe the boards I participate in are different and this is the norm. For example, given the number of new people who come in asking about ACV without doing a single search first, is astounding. Now they all come here after seeing it somewhere (Facebook it seems), buying it, starting to drink it and then come looking for people who are doing the same. A quick search will very quickly tell them how useless it is, and how it is not taken seriously here. But they don't even do that basic search. I admit it astounds me. But, as per the rules here, that is acceptable. And it is considered mean to ask them to do a search.

Now, when I started, I lurked. For a fair bit. Fortunately, what I saw was people posting to research, challenging those who were expressing an unfounded opinion as fact and generally trying to be reasoned and rational in their approach (talking most veterans here). I saw Dr. Oz essentially ridiculed and most diet fads called just that. In other words, I knew I would fit in just fine and started learning, then posting.

How, or why was it different for your?

Not 100% sure this has anything to do with it, but I know for me weight loss is a relatively selfish endeavor. In most other aspects of my life, my efforts are dedicated to others - spouse, children, work, etc. MFP is all about me :lol: (But I still lurked first and at least conduct a board search before posting any questions I have that aren't covered by that, which is rare!)

Everyone thinks they are a special snowflake.

And this is why we're friends.

It's because I'm a special snowflake, isn't it? I KNEW I was the specialest special snowflake of all!

Sorry hon--but you're not. I am.

Dammit! The username don't like :disappointed:

Ha! Don't worry---you're special too <3<3
  • lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Right here! I would rather have a lot of food than a little bit. If I have some teensy-weensy, tee-niney, pigmy sized pea shaped piece of something magically delicious I will not be satisfied. I save the junk for when I REALLY want it. I may blow my calories that day but man is it ever worth it when I do! Some people really are content with two Oreos or a half-cup of ice cream. I I eat that and it's gonna be on like Donkey-Kong.

I consider this a form of moderation too, though.

One form is eat a serving (or whatever amount regularly fits in your calories) more regularly. For example, I went through a stage where I had about 200 calories for dessert every night. I'd have ice cream or cheese usually, or else a more indulgent dinner.

Another is a rare blow out. There are some things I'm not interested in eating in moderation or are hard to fit -- a Mexican restaurant, Indian restaurant, Ethiopian restaurant, rare multi-course tasting menu at a new place, maybe. So I do them more rarely (at maintenance it doesn't have to be that rarely, as I tend to do a weekend long run and long bike, but depends), but when I do them I don't try to fit a calorie goal or skip the naan and get the tandoori chicken and so on. I eat what I want and without really worrying about it and since it's not something I do weekly regardless of workout it doesn't matter. It's a form of moderation. If I felt like that about ice cream or cake (I really don't, I'd rather just have a sensible amount and not overdo), then I'd follow a similar schedule there. But I wouldn't claim that meant "eat what you want within your calories" didn't work, since that would still be what I was doing.

I love pie, I have it basically on holidays only anymore, because baking it is a bad idea unless I have other people to eat it, and because if I bake it I will want more than a piece. I haven't cut out pie and wouldn't tell anyone else you need to cut out pie. 'Cause that's not so, even though I don't eat much pie anymore.

Moderation comes in many forms. I choose to abstain more often. However the kind of moderation most often referred to around here is the "make it fit on a daily basis" moderation.
This discussion has been closed.