People who say cardio is "too boring" are full of crap

Options

Replies

• Alpha12
    Alpha12 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    If you think that cardio is boring, then you haven't found the right "cardio" for YOU! I do a mix of cardio, pilates, yoga and strength training every week, and it's a trial-and-error typ of thing. Look for "cardio" you enjoy and you'll stick with it.
  • victoria_1024
    victoria_1024 Posts: 915 Member
    Options
    I don't find all cardio boring, but I do find elliptical machines, treadmills, and other stationary equipment ridiculously boring. Maybe if I had room in my living room for a machine so I could watch my own tv shows it would be different. But I workout in the basement and don't have access to a tv. If I go to the gym, I basically would watch what is on tv and it is all not interesting enough to hold my attention.

But I love HIIT workouts which make me sweat and work way harder than stationary machines, so it's certainly not that I don't like the hard work like you mentioned before. I also enjoy Zumba and hiking. I'm very active but I'd rather go to the dentist or something rather than spend 30 minutes a day on one of those machines.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    dewd2 wrote: »
    dewd2 wrote: »
    @mburgess458 - What do you do for cardio/exercise? I see no picture, no stats on your profile. How is your fitness level? Do you run? Lift? Spend hours on a machine watching Netflix?

Can you keep up with me?

@mburgess458 - Still waiting. You've been on the site since I posted this last night. Why suddenly so shy?

Still waiting?
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,566 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Alpha12 wrote: »
    If you think that cardio is boring, then you haven't found the right "cardio" for YOU! I do a mix of cardio, pilates, yoga and strength training every week, and it's a trial-and-error typ of thing. Look for "cardio" you enjoy and you'll stick with it.
    Oh I like doing HIIT cardio. If done right (most people interval train and don't actually do HIIT), you CAN'T do it everyday because it's a bit rough on the nervous system. It's the other days of "boring" cardio.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • bigmuneymfp
    bigmuneymfp Posts: 2,235 Member
    Options
    I love cardio
  • theflatpick
    theflatpick Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Whenever I start getting board with my cadio routine, it just means it is time to mix it up and find some other exercise to do.
  • Traveler120
    Traveler120 Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    tjkita wrote: »
    Cardio may be boring but it works for weight loss! Gotta get that heart rate up somehow!
    Incorrect. Lots and lots of people spend HOURS on cardio a week with no results. They may be fitter, but if their EATING isn't conducive to weight loss, they aren't going to lose weight.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

LOL. Just because people undo their deficit by eating too much, doesn't mean that cardio doesn't work for weight loss. Unless you want to imply that doing cardio automatically will result in a person eating too much, which is just silly. Many of us have used cardio as the primary way to increase energy expenditure and therefore deficit without having to restrict ourselves to very little food. And we've lost weight. So it obviously works.

For someone who advertises their expertise on every post, you should not be peddling misinformation. And saying cardio doesn't work for weight loss IS misinformation.
    Cardio DOESN'T work for weight loss if there isn't a calorie deficit. One could do all the cardio they want, but if they still consume maintenance or higher, they aren't going to lose weight. That's NOT DISPUTED in any Journal of Science.
    Cardio can HELP to create a deficit, but the deficit is created more by INTAKE not output. Think about it, how long would it take to burn 500 calories? Now how long does it take to eat 500 calories? If one burned 300 calories from doing cardio, but ate 500 calories because they felt they exercised to offset it, then they are +200 calories on their eating. So no misinformation, it still comes down to CICO.
    Again, if you don't believe that, you'd still have to explain how so many do cardio for hours and hours a week, but don't lose weight.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

CICO is CICO. A deficit is a deficit.

If you want a 500 calorie deficit, you can keep your activity the same and eat 500 less.
    OR
    You can keep your intake the same and do 500 calories of cardio or other exercise.
    OR a little of both.

Which one you choose is a matter if preference.
    ALL of these WILL lead to a deficit and fat loss.
    It's as simple as that

One reason folks struggle with weightloss is coz so called "experts" complicate weight loss for no reason.
  • Nixi3Knox
    Nixi3Knox Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    You don't get to decide what other people think about anything. It may very well be boring to some people. To each his own.
  • MarziPanda95
    MarziPanda95 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    Ah yes because we all have enough money and space to buy a home treadmill to park in front of the TV /Sarcasm. I find cardio boring. I would probably find it less boring if I had a treadmill and put it in front of the TV, but I'm a university student. I can barely afford food shopping... forget about buying gym equipment.
  • pinklife1117
    pinklife1117 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Cardio is boring etc... however there is something good for your mental being that cardio at least gives me. Just that I don't have to think too much and get dopamine and lose weight... sweat out toxins. Weight training you have to take breaks to recover. But yes I think it can be boring....
  • tsortsor
    tsortsor Posts: 830 Member
    Options
    Cardio usually is boring unless your playing a sport
  • pinklife1117
    pinklife1117 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Cardio is boring etc... however there is something good for your mental being that cardio at least gives me. Just that I don't have to think too much and get dopamine and lose weight... sweat out toxins. Weight training you have to take breaks to recover. But yes I think it can be boring....

I do weight train three times a week so mix it up!!

• ninerbuff
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Cardio may be boring but it works for weight loss! Gotta get that heart rate up somehow!
    Incorrect. Lots and lots of people spend HOURS on cardio a week with no results. They may be fitter, but if their EATING isn't conducive to weight loss, they aren't going to lose weight.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

LOL. Just because people undo their deficit by eating too much, doesn't mean that cardio doesn't work for weight loss. Unless you want to imply that doing cardio automatically will result in a person eating too much, which is just silly. Many of us have used cardio as the primary way to increase energy expenditure and therefore deficit without having to restrict ourselves to very little food. And we've lost weight. So it obviously works.

For someone who advertises their expertise on every post, you should not be peddling misinformation. And saying cardio doesn't work for weight loss IS misinformation.
    Cardio DOESN'T work for weight loss if there isn't a calorie deficit. One could do all the cardio they want, but if they still consume maintenance or higher, they aren't going to lose weight. That's NOT DISPUTED in any Journal of Science.
    Cardio can HELP to create a deficit, but the deficit is created more by INTAKE not output. Think about it, how long would it take to burn 500 calories? Now how long does it take to eat 500 calories? If one burned 300 calories from doing cardio, but ate 500 calories because they felt they exercised to offset it, then they are +200 calories on their eating. So no misinformation, it still comes down to CICO.
    Again, if you don't believe that, you'd still have to explain how so many do cardio for hours and hours a week, but don't lose weight.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

If you want a 500 calorie deficit, you can keep your activity the same and eat 500 less.
    OR
    You can keep your intake the same and do 500 calories of cardio or other exercise.
    OR a little of both.

It's as simple as that

One reason folks struggle with weightloss is coz so called "experts" complicate weight loss for no reason.
    Again, it's still matters on consumption. Cardio is for fitness and health. No debate there. It can help with a calorie deficit IF the person doing the cardio is aware that they aren't EATING more than they need to. And that's precisely the issue in many gyms and with people today. They think they HAVE to do some form of cardio to lose weight and it's just not true. Do you dispute that? If so, then how do people who are immobile able to lose weight without cardio?
    Cardio can HELP to lose weight IF there is a deficit. If no deficit, then it's just exercise.

BTW, you CANNOT just keep the intake the same for a long period time if weight loss occurs, do a 500 calorie burn and expect to keep losing weight. Common sense will tell you that you'd have to LOWER YOUR INTAKE as your weight goes down. Unless you're a unicorn or something.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• smartin168
    smartin168 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I'm the exact opposite. Love, love, love my cardio. Last night...55 minutes on my bowflex M5 with a new external speaker cranked and my video feed of Taylor Swift in Australia.....boogied to the beat and sweat bullets.
  • comeonnow142857
    comeonnow142857 Posts: 310 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    [soapbox] It drives me nuts when people claim they don't do cardio because it's just too boring. If sitting on a couch watching TV/movies isn't too boring for you then how can running on a treadmill/riding a stationary bike/etc. while watching the exact same TV/movies be too boring?
    Please explain how doing X while sitting on the couch can be less boring than doing X while running?
    I honestly don't see how running on a treadmill watching TV can possibly be more boring than sitting on a couch watching the same show.
    How is watching TV from a couch more "mentally stimulating" than watching the same show while doing something else?

Because how engaging/nonboring/mentally stimulating activities are, doesn't stack up linearly and so don't follow a simple additional math formula. Multitasking can greatly reduce the ability to focus and the quality/efficiency of thinking when it comes to mental stimulation.

To me, doing cardio while watching TV makes BOTH activities more boring (I've done it). I much prefer to immerse myself in one or the other. Running ruins Ingmar Bergman, and by God Ingmar Bergman ruins running.
    You aren't doing cardio because it's too hard or you don't enjoy sweating or whatever, not because it's too boring. If you don't want to do cardio then don't, just be honest with yourself. [/soapbox]

When I skip cardio (and I do plenty of cardio, but sometimes I won't follow through on a planned run etc) it's because the circumstances leave the available cardio as booooring. That's the fact. A 30 minute run on my own around my shed is boring as hell, but nowhere near as hard or sweaty as the other stuff I do which I enjoy greatly.

You're simply wrong about other people.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Just a note: you don't sweat out toxins.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
  • JaxxieKat
    JaxxieKat Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    It drives me nuts when people claim they don't do cardio because it's just too boring.

I find indoor cardio somewhat boring. A necessary evil, if you will. I love dancing, cycling, and running, but some days I just have to knock out that necessary cardio at the gym.

• Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

OR
    OR a little of both.

It's as simple as that

Again, it's still matters on consumption. Cardio is for fitness and health. No debate there. It can help with a calorie deficit IF the person doing the cardio is aware that they aren't EATING more than they need to. And that's precisely the issue in many gyms and with people today. They think they HAVE to do some form of cardio to lose weight and it's just not true. Do you dispute that? If so, then how do people who are immobile able to lose weight without cardio?
    Cardio can HELP to lose weight IF there is a deficit. If no deficit, then it's just exercise.

BTW, you CANNOT just keep the intake the same for a long period time if weight loss occurs, do a 500 calorie burn and expect to keep losing weight. Common sense will tell you that you'd have to LOWER YOUR INTAKE as your weight goes down. Unless you're a unicorn or something.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Aren't you two saying the same thing? Anyway, I'm living proof that you cannot do enough cardio to burn enough calories to lose weight if you are eating too much. Did it for almost 40 years til I came on here and listened to people like @ninerbuff and decreased my intake enough to make my cardio worthwhile for weight loss.