WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MAY 2017

Options

Replies

• janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Options
    janetr7476 wrote: »
    Dana - I have used the site below, Dumbbell Strength Training for Seniors, with good success. You can add reps, sets and weight as you feel comfortable I alternate it with the treadmill and stationary bike.

https://www.verywell.com/dumbbell-strength-training-for-seniors-3498669

Janetr okc

Thank you for sharring this.. I am looking for a good DB workout!

You're welcome. I also use the kettlebell occasionally, mostly when doing squats. If some of the exercises are too strenuous for you, just don't do them. I do squats with no problem, but I've had both knees replaced and lunges hurt my knees. I also bought a cheap little thing from Amazon called Wonder Core and I use it to do crunches. I don't know if that would work if you have back problems. The thing with any exercise routine is to find what works for you and what can stick with. Good luck.

Janetr okc
  • ydailey
    ydailey Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Happy Lucky Penny Day!

I have a friend who posts "Woohoo! Found a penny!" to his Facebook status whenever he picks one up.

Toni - Apparently we need more frogs! Not sure there are enough frogs in the state to deal with the Texas mosquito population, though.

DrKatie - Ouch, I'm sure you could have thought of something more enjoyable to do for $206!

Rori - I hope you all had a great time at the Tom Petty concert. We saw him a couple of weeks ago, and it was a great show.

Lanette - Your flowers are gorgeous! I've never had much luck with azaleas, but yours look very happy.

I finally managed to kick myself onto the ski machine yesterday. I'm trying hard to break the exercise drought! Thankfully the weather has been cooler for the last few days, so it wasn't quite such hard going. My VCR broke, so now I need to find one so I can use some of my old exercise videos now and then for a change of pace.

They're doing some kind of work outside today - a gas line or something. It's making my work day noisier than usual.

May your day be lucky!

-Yvonne in TX

• klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    sara I like your goals! NYKAREN
  • FHImagined
    FHImagined Posts: 145 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Dana - I have used the site below, Dumbbell Strength Training for Seniors, with good success. You can add reps, sets and weight as you feel comfortable I alternate it with the treadmill and stationary bike.

Janetr okc

You're welcome. I also use the kettlebell occasionally, mostly when doing squats. If some of the exercises are too strenuous for you, just don't do them. I do squats with no problem, but I've had both knees replaced and lunges hurt my knees. I also bought a cheap little thing from Amazon called Wonder Core and I use it to do crunches. I don't know if that would work if you have back problems. The thing with any exercise routine is to find what works for you and what can stick with. Good luck.

Janetr okc

:) I think it is a matter of just starting something. I tried another weight training program yesterday.. first time in many months doing anthing with weights. I used a DB, weight machine and a kettlebell. It must of been too light on the lbs. I am not sore at all today. I know its important to increase reps, sets or weight as you go. I think your right, find out what works for you and stick with it! Never heard of Wonder Core. Does it do wonders?

* I looked on Amazon .. Wonder Core has some good ratings!
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Options

Janetr okc

Janetr okc

:) I think it is a matter of just starting something. I tried another weight training program yesterday.. first time in many months doing anthing with weights. I used a DB, weight machine and a kettlebell. It must of been too light on the lbs. I am not sore at all today. I know its important to increase reps, sets or weight as you go. I think your right, find out what works for you and stick with it!e Never heard of Wonder Core. Does it do wonders?

THe Wonder Core for sure makes my abs sore lol and I think my stomach is the flatest it's been in years. You can use it for other exercise but I only use it for crunches.

Janetr okc
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    I having been thinking about all my friends here from UK. How can some one/group do that??? I don't think I will ever understand it. I agree that we should just go on with our every day life and not let them win but still you hear reports like this of kids just wanting to have fun, albeit very expensive fun, and something like this happens. On a side note, my husband didn't know anything about it and he watches his precious Fox news.

This precious little kitten was a stray and is thin. I can't wait to see what some good loving and food will help him look like. I think I have everything I need. Got pretty much at Big Lots today except a collar. I still need to look for an extra small one.

Lanette, love that ground cover. I would come over and take some off your hands!!!!!

Joyce, Indiana
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
  • gotu52
    gotu52 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Lanette Weird mouse story, hope you find it lol!

I have planted corn but am very worried about raccoons and my search on how to keep them out says 3 main things: electric fence, shoot them with a gun, use a radio for a short time as they get used to it. Now I wish I didn't plant corn. Anyone have any ideas? I will go with the radio but I think an electric fence will be expensive and I am not good at doing that kind of a project myself. I can't shoot something and they mostly come in the middle of the night anyway. I'm feeling bummed because we did all that planting and I had forgotten why we don't plant corn. Last time just as the corn was almost ready, some coons destroyed every last one >:) And they could just cross the street and go into a huge cornfield and leave my small plot alone.

That being said, I am not feeling quite myself yet. May was one of the worst months I have had in years and it is still not over. And sadly, it is my favorite month. With the flooding, the constant flood scares, my health has been very poor, my daughter had surgery, my husband was away for 3 weeks right during the flooding, I am working 4 different jobs at the moment as I await some projects to end and transition to my new job; I really thought I was going to completely shut down. Now DH is back, I will complete a big project in 2 weeks and just maybe I can find myself.

The good thing is that throughout all this I ate mostly well and exercised almost daily. Those things I can control. And I have been saying "no" to a lot of things and that has been hard but good for me. I am in a workaholic's paradise now and I must resist. I get to work at 0715 and don't take any health breaks until I get home. The good thing is that I am leaving now between 3:30 - 4:30 which is a huge improvement. I am paid for 7.5 hours per day so I can leave at 3:15 but I feel guilty. There is always so much to do.

And now the whining is done and it felt good to get this out. Thank you for listening.

Sorry for the long post.

I wish everyone strengths in their journey!
    Sarah, Ontario, Canada
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,826 Member
    Options
    Hello ladies: Saw the doctor this morning and am getting off two meds. One was for an arrhythmia. Haven't had problems for a long time so she said try without it. The other was for sleep because one of the side effects of prednisone is sleeplessness. I have been off the prednisone for over a year now but the sleep medicine is addictive and I was unable to get off it. She has given me a different med for sleep that is not addictive and I should be able to sleep but go off in a few weeks with no rebound insomnia. She also froze some plantar warts on my right foot and it is really sore, not getting in many steps today.

Leigh - So glad you were able to participate fully in your vacation. That is so satisfying.

Rori and Sue - Lovely pic. Isn't it grand to meet in person?

Lisa - Good luck with the real estate deals!

NYKaren - Have you changed any lotions or anything like that? I had a rash on elbows and knees one time that turned out to be an allergy to a new kind of fly spray I was using on my horse.

Pip - Have a wonderful trip to California and I am with you, I hate burpees too.

Joyce - Darling kitten. We would like to get a second barn cat and think a kitten would work best with the one we already have but most rescues will not adopt kittens to be outdoor cats.

Everyone take care, Sue in WA
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,551 Member
    Options
  • FHImagined
    FHImagined Posts: 145 Member
    Options

Janetr okc

Janetr okc

:) I think it is a matter of just starting something. I tried another weight training program yesterday.. first time in many months doing anthing with weights. I used a DB, weight machine and a kettlebell. It must of been too light on the lbs. I am not sore at all today. I know its important to increase reps, sets or weight as you go. I think your right, find out what works for you and stick with it!e Never heard of Wonder Core. Does it do wonders?

THe Wonder Core for sure makes my abs sore lol and I think my stomach is the flatest it's been in years. You can use it for other exercise but I only use it for crunches.

Janetr okc

That's good you know it's working, but I am sure it's your hard work that has given you the terriffic results. Kudos!
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
  • pipcd34
    Options
    stats for the day:

bike ride hm 2 gym- 12.22min. 14.1amph, 128mhr, 2.9mi = 98c
    apple watch- 95c
    Plyometrics exercises- 15.51min, 2ets of 10each, burpees, squats, running stationary lunges, single leg toe touches, push-ups, hamstring leglifts, crunches, sit-ups, reverse bicycles, leg lifts, 98ahr, 126mhr = 87c
    apple watch- 101c
    LATERAL MACHINE- 15min, lvl8 and 10, lat10, 1790strides, 30floors, 115ahr, 135mhr, 1.84miles = 124c
    apple watch- 123c
    bike ride gym 2 sumn station, (1st ride in for the year)- 1hr, 7min, 32sec, 12.5amph, 126ahr, 144mhr, 14.1mi = 620c
    apple watch- 561c
    jog station 2 wk- 4.44min, 9.18min mi., 143ahr, 150mhr, .5mi = 81c
    apple watch- 59c
    jog wk 2 sta- 4.16min, 124ahr, 140mhr, .4mi WINDY!!!= 68c
    apple watch- 58c
    bike ride dome 2 hm- 19.57min, 7.8amph, 146mhr, 127ahr, 2.5mi WINDY!!!!= 191c
    Apple Watch 1 157c

TOTAL CAL 1269
  • DamitJanit
    DamitJanit Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    Call me crazy but I love to see other people happy and succeeding .

Good Evening My Dear Friends,

Yvonne, I’m with you on mosquitoes. Grrrrrrrrrr The tie-dye party sounds like fun. Tell us a little more about it. Also I’d love a picture of some of your creations.

Lanette, I still use hard boiled eggs in my tuna and/or chicken salad. DH likes dill pickles in his but if I used pickles it would be sweet pickle relish. I just leave it out now. (Later) Wow, I love your lithadora. I wonder if that would grow around here?

Toni, so glad your kids are including you in activities. (((Hugs)))

Beth, that is too funny about the dog bowl being used at the wedding reception.

Heather, so glad to hear you are writing a bit. I figure that once you get started things will start rolling again.

Kay, congrats for smaller boobs. Rof

Joyce, your kiki is so cute. How old is he? I’m sure you told us but I don’t remember.

Rori, have a ball with the kids visit.

Lanette, do you think that a big mouse ate the trap and left the peanut butter????

Cheri, way to go. Keep it up!!!

Sara, welcome. You can join us any day of the month. This is a great place for support and information so come often.

Sue, I hope things work out with your medication changes.

It rained again today but I managed to dodge it going to the doctor’s office for bloodwork and then shopping. I got some new pj’s so I won’t be embarrassed when I go to the international Moose convention next month. Mine were getting a bit ratty. I also got some Sketcher’s wedge heel sandals that I hadn’t planned on buying. *The devil made me do it* >:)

pretty-pink-welcome-smiley-emoticon.gifto all the Newbies. Come often and join in the chat. This thing works!! Please sign your post with what you want to be called. It makes it easier for us to respond to you. Also a location is great, be it specific or general. We are happy to have you join us.

Congrats on all the victories, large and small and (Hugs) to those who need or want one.
    Sending love, good thoughts and sunshine to all of you.
    I Love youwriting-a-love-letter-smiley-emoticon.gif
    DJ
    Myrtle Beach, SC
  • miakoda40
    miakoda40 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Michele in NC -
    exermom wrote: »
    Denise just told me that her cake is going to cost $300 and she was asking me if that was a lot. I honestly don't know but suggested she ask Jess who can ask her friend. If it's not...wow...is that how much I saved Laura by making her cake???

About 10 (15?) years ago I made the wedding cakes for three of my friends. At that time I was told wedding cakes were about $1.50 per serving so the cake I made to serve 200 people would have cost the bride about $300. I decided that the cake was my wedding gift.

I just looked up cake pricing now.

One site states: " Buttercream average starting price is $3 per guest
    Fondant average starting price is $4 per guest
    Delivery and set up charge is usually $50

Delivered wedding cakes start at a minimum $350. Our average wedding cake price in 2015 was $544; with prices ranging from $300 to $920."

So how many people is Denise planning for?

Mia in MI
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,346 Member
    Options
    Did 1 hr on the stairstepper. We have a Newcomer board meeting tomorrow so the plan is to do a Denise Austin Boot Camp DVD

Got my dress for Denise's wedding in the mail today. The one thing that I'm not crazy about is that it's a little snug in the abdomen. I called David's Bridal and they said I could exchange it, but the only size larger is a 14 that they said and the difference between a 10 and a 14 is 3 inches. To me, that's a lot. The gal suggested I try some spanx. She said "I'd hate to have you spend $200 for alterations". Little does she know that the gal who does my alterations wouldn't charge anywhere near that amount of money. I just have to find shoes.

After exercise stopped at the Salvation Army, found a pair of shoes that looked brand new to me. They are a size 9 and I usually take an 8-1/2, but for $3 I bought them and we'll see how it goes. If the worst comes to worst, I can always redonate them. Then went to Big Lots. We got this solar cat there a few years ago and I know I've seen them since then. Only this year they are carrying a dog and not a cat. I couldn't find it anywhere. One of the eyes on ours isn't lighting up. Then went to WalMart to get shirataki and a few other things. They don't carry poultry seasoning! Guess I'll just have to look in other stores for it. Then went to PetSmart and got dry and moist food for the cats

katla - I seem to remember Re saying that she can no longer post from work so that's why we probably haven't seen her. I miss her, too. Hope your eyes get better

Lanette - hope you find the mouse soon. One time our first cat brought a rabbit into the house, it died behind the buffet. For the longest time I smelled this horrible smell and couldn't get rid of it. Tried candles, spray, everything. Finally for whatever reason Vince moved the buffet and we found it. Gross. Hope you find that mouse

Joyce - our first cat was a stray. To say he looked pathetic (in a bad way) is an understatement. Talk about matted, terrible coat, everything. However, once we took him in, took him to the vet, gave him decent meals...you should have seen what a gorgeous cat he turned out to be. I'm pretty sure he was a purebred Maine Coon. I'm sure your kitten will turn out the exact way.

Sue WA - I love when I can get off any med at all.

DJ - why would you be embarrassed at the convention? Are you maybe sharing a room with a few other ladies?

mia - when I made the wedding cake, that was my wedding gift, too. Last time I talked to Denise the guest list was up to 75. Thanks so much for the pricing info. That was really handy. Seems that she's not getting a real bargain. Well, not my wedding, not my cake.

Michele in NC
  • pipcd34
    Options