June 2017 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• OSUbuckeye906
    OSUbuckeye906 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I'm getting a laugh out of the discussion around announcing you are about to pass vs just blowing right by! :lol: I seem to switch back and forth and have yet to find the right method that doesn't result in people getting the kitten scared out of them. When I announce myself to walkers in front of me (I don't pass runners because I'm too slow) they always jump and freak out. Even when they have a dog with them who knows I'm coming because, well, it's a dog! When I have a wider path and just go around, same thing most times.

Actually, just about a week ago I passed by some walkers unannounced because we had already seen each other as I was running up to the intersection, they were just a bit ahead of me by the time I turned on the path, I know they saw me, and should have been a bit aware I was coming, or so I thought. It was a teenage girl and her mom. I was about to go off into the grass to pass in order to give them the path when the daughter stopped to tie her shoes and the mom kept walking ahead. So I just weaved around really quick and as I was headed up to pass the mom her daughter shouted out really loud, "Mom, look out"! The mom leapt off the path freaked out and I said, "You're fine, sorry to scare you". Yeah, that was weird. I could have scared both of them, I guess, by just announcing myself. Not sure which is better. I always hear people behind me long before they pass, so announced or otherwise it doesn't bother me. The only time I remember being scared was when I heard dog tags clinging and closing in on me from behind really fast as two loose dogs flew by. That was nerve wracking knowing a dog was closing in and I had no clue what to expect.

I feel like everybody has a personal preference on this. The posted rules on the multi-use path that I run on a lot are that cyclists are to signal when passing. It doesn't say anything about runners. Personally, I'm grateful when someone on a bike announces themselves because I usually run with headphones in and can't always hear a bike coming up from behind. I also tend to run near the center line when I don't think anyone's around since the path is fairly sloped in places and I'll move over if I know someone's there. I don't really ever announce myself when I'm running past someone else and I don't really expect them to do that for me either. I may say "excuse me" if a particular group is taking up the whole width of the path, but this particular path is fairly wide and gets enough traffic that most people stay on their side of the center line. In the case that I'm coming up behind someone that I don't think knows I'm there, I'll usually cough or make some other noise to let them know I'm there...or just let them be surprised.

My step-dad has a big problem with people who say "On your left" during a race because he takes it to mean that they think their race is more important than his and that they think everyone should move out of the way for them. I think the few times this has happened to him has likely been a situation where the person didn't want an elbow in the chest rather than thinking he should move over for them.

VydorScope wrote: »
    It is in the 90's here right now. Was planing an easy run after my 15 miles in the upper 80's yesterday. Having a hard time convincing myself to go out. heh

um... I think I'd die if I had to go out in the afternoon in 90 degree weather. You are amazing if you do it, and totally a normal human if you don't....

I was wanting to go to a group pub run tomorrow evening that one of the local running stores has every Monday, but it's supposed to be in the 90s tomorrow. Otherwise, I wasn't planning on running until Tuesday morning. I'm only supposed to run 3 easy miles so we'll see if I make it there or not. I haven't run in anything about 85 so far this year.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    It is in the 90's here right now. Was planing an easy run after my 15 miles in the upper 80's yesterday. Having a hard time convincing myself to go out. heh

um... I think I'd die if I had to go out in the afternoon in 90 degree weather. You are amazing if you do it, and totally a normal human if you don't....

Right now I am telling myself if I wait for the Sun to get low in the sky it will not be so bad. I am not really convincing though.

Well I did it, and my JLabs Epic 2 headphones died when I was couple miles from home. :'( This is my third set ot die, the first set lasted like 8 months, the second less than 30 days (returned to store) and the third (new warrenty replacement for first set) less than 60 days. Not going to bother making a calim this time. Just will find a new brand.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    @Orphia and fellow runners! Got my new Oiselle shorts and a new running tank!!!!

20170610_110404_zps0nxlllon.jpg

Looking awesome!!! @Elise4270

Here's the Embrace the Suck MFP Monthly Running Challenge T-shirts linky in case anyone missed it:

https://www.zazzle.com/spodorama/products
  • nFoooo
    nFoooo Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Ran an easy 5K. Tommorow is weight lifting I might not run or maybe an easy 3.5K we shall see. I tried using Strava for the first time but my app got stuck on the settings screen and there was no back button, anyone have that problem happen to them? I am talking about the settings screen you get after clicking Record an activity and then the top left icon, where you can turn on auto-pause, beacon and stuff like that.

exercise.png

• Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    Om nom nom @juliet3455 ! Sounds like an awesome event!
  • PinkamenaD8
    PinkamenaD8 Posts: 99 Member
    Options

Talking about this yesterdad I did a 15k - 9 miles under 29° C or 84° F and even though I took water before and after, when I got home after resting a little my blood pressure lowered I felt dizzy, I trowed out the water and amost fainted but I was fine after resting, could it be effect of dehydratation, an electrolite imbalance? the excercise wasn't too strenouss.

@Elise4270 @hanlonsk @WhatMeRunning runner problems, I feel you, I sometimes run outside of a sport center, it has a sidewalk to run around it with 5 entries to the facilities, so walkers are very often in the way, I never talk to them except to say thank you when they move aside, since the sidewalk is not too narrow I usually pass by the side, but when there are families obstructing all the road I have get down to the street, I don't like detouring to the street because there's a lot of traffic and something can happen and I'm extremelly grateful at the sensible people that moves when they see me.

I've never startled anybody passing them yet because is pretty common to see runners there, but bikers that pass me startle me. I'd be more glad if they announced themselves, though I'm always at the edge giving them room I just have to get used to it.

exercise.png
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options

Talking about this yesterdad I did a 15k - 9 miles under 29° C or 84° F and even though I took water before and after, when I got home after resting a little my blood pressure lowered I felt dizzy, I trowed out the water and amost fainted but I was fine after resting, could it be effect of dehydratation, an electrolite imbalance? the excercise wasn't too strenouss.

Not sure, I am no doc. Did you only drink water or did you have a sports drink? Was this a new distance for you? Did you loose a lot of water weight? I can easily lose 10 pounds of water weight on a long summer run. I actually take an electrolyte capsule for every hour I run as recommended to me by a running coach. No idea if it helps or if it is a placebo though :)
  • KatieJane83
    KatieJane83 Posts: 2,002 Member
    Options
    Chiming in on the passing conversation. I usually don't call out, unless there isn't a ton of passing space, or the person/group seems particularly oblivious. Then, I'll either say, 'on your left' or clear my throat loudly. I honestly don't know that there's a perfect solution, because I've been startled by people not calling out, but I've also been startled by the 'on your left' call, lol.

Yesterday though, there was a group of cyclists that really ticked me off, and I seriously regret not shouting something at them. I was on a lovely graveled, mixed-use path that runs along the river. There are walkers, people with dogs, adults and kids on bikes, runners, and even people fishing along the edge. And it can get decently crowded on a weekend. It also curves with the banks of the river, so you don't always have a long sight-line to see who or what is ahead. As I was running, I suddenly hear bicycle tires on the gravel, and two seconds later this single-file line of five cyclists on their road bikes go FLYING past me. This was also as I was going around a gentle curve, where you couldn't really tell if there might be more people just ahead. They did not call out or anything. This path, like I said, gets little kids running around on it, and people with leashed dogs, and if this speeding crew encountered something like that it could end very badly. I'm really quite irritated with myself for not shouting something after them, but it happened so quickly, and I was so startled, I was still struggling to get my thoughts together. Ugh.
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    6/1- REST
    6/2- 5.2 Miles
    6/3- 19
    6/4- 4.3
    6/5- 4.2
    6/6- 3.2
    6/7- 8.0
    6/8- REST
    6/9- 3.2
    6/10- 9
    6/11- REST
    4/12- 4.0

Total: 60.1

Goal for June. Finish Marathon training well, taper well and run Grandma's well
    Nominal mileage goal: 100

Today's notes: It was HUMID out this morning. Temp was only 56, but the humidity really thumped me good. Kept my breathing in check for the run at 6-in/6-out, and a little at 6-in/4-out, but my HR ended up at 156. I'm pretty sure that was a dehydration issue, as I woke up pretty dry yesterday, after having had some Dr. Pepper yesterday afternoon.... note to self, caffeine after noon means sleep that isn't as good.

Looks like another hot one today, and it's a "work day" in prep for summer school, so I'll be in my classroom "working" until close to noon... time to Hydrate!

Have a runderful day all!

2017 Races Scheduled
    6/16- William A Irvin 5k
    6/17- Grandma's Marathon (Full!)
    8/19- Rampage at the Ridge 5k OCR
    9/23- Ely Marathon (full)
    10/21 Wild Duluth 50k
    11/23- TBD 5k Turkey Trot

Possible? 2017 Races
    7/15- Eugene Curnow Trail Marathon
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    6/1 - 6 miles
    6/2 - 4 miles
    6/3 - rest day
    6/4 - 7 miles
    6/5 - 3 miles
    6/6 - rest day
    6/7 - 4 miles (the Big Run 5K and warm up)
    6/8 - unscheduled rest day
    6/9 - 4 miles
    6/10 - 3 miles
    6/11 - 7 miles
    6/12 - 3 miles of reccovery

41 of 70 miles

exercise.png

Humid and hot and tired legs, but it was okay.

I had to train Skip not to move to either side when someone calls they are passing on the left, just maintain where you are and they will go by. She thought they wanted her to move, no they just want you to know they are passing you. @girlinahat I think you pretty much hit every pet peeve I have. ha ha. I have not issues with doggie's not on leads at all, but honestly not everyone is a dog lover. Our rules for leashes is this, if I'm walking her around the hood she's on an extended leash, running 4' lead. At the greenway I usually take the extended leash but she stays on the right of me so she is off the path or directly in front of me. The minute I see or hear anyone she's pulled in to my side. She is never ever allowed to go across the entire path. Last year our greenways went from having a painted lanes for bikes and one for walker/runner to stay right pass left. Well I'm ready to take some black paint and cover up the lanes because people are confused. In general when I'm walking if someone coming at me is younger than me, they need to move out of my way on the path. Skip is taught to move out of the way of people older than her and I expect the same of others.
  • hesfeld
    hesfeld Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for the well wishes. I'm still feeling pretty knocked down, but it's maybe because I can't take it easy. I love when my jobs tell me I can't call in sick again because my replacements aren't as good as me, or so they tell me :)

I think walking the 5k this Friday night is seeing as my only option. I haven't done anything workout related since last Sunday. It's Shaun T week on Beachbody this week, and I am bummed I don't have the energy or breathing capabilities to participate. I was thinking of trying very slow elliptical tonight. If I have to do a breathing treatment when I get home from work, that will answer that question. I feel like @WhatMeRunning and @MNLittleFinn with rest day (week) overthinking things haha