June 2017 Running Challenge

Replies

• ctlaws44
    ctlaws44 Posts: 182 Member
    Nice! @MNLittleFinn. I'd definitely wash your shirt. Even before your first run. Almost all new clothing has chemicals from the factory production which can cause some pretty bad skin reactions especially if you're going to be sweating. Your skin pours will be opened more. I know this from first hand experience. Just my 2.
  • ctlaws44
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    A potential solution to scaring folks?

I'm stiiting outside on the walk eating a bowl of Honey nut Cheerios just after dusk and hear music. It was a runner. She had her music playing on her phone strapped in an arm band.

Anyone try this​?

I think it would be good idea on a run but not a race. I dislike getting stuck within earshot of these people. I had this happen in my first HM. I got trapped next to one girl playing country music and another guy talking on his bluetooth. I wasn't going to compromise my pace for them but I couldn't out run them either. That was my worst race ever!
  • OSUbuckeye906
    OSUbuckeye906 Posts: 315 Member
    ctlaws44 wrote: »
    Nice! @MNLittleFinn. I'd definitely wash your shirt. Even before your first run. Almost all new clothing has chemicals from the factory production which can cause some pretty bad skin reactions especially if you're going to be sweating. Your skin pours will be opened more. I know this from first hand experience. Just my 2.

@MNLittleFinn I agree with @ctlaws44 on washing the shirt. Also, even if you do try out the shirt first and it's fine, if it were me I would be inclined to put some Vaseline or body glide on the under part of the arms that may rub against the bottom of the loose arm hole as you swing your arms. No telling where you'll get chafing after that many miles and better to be safe than sorry.

• BruinsGal_91
    BruinsGal_91 Posts: 1,400 Member
    ctlaws44 wrote: »

I'm stiiting outside on the walk eating a bowl of Honey nut Cheerios just after dusk and hear music. It was a runner. She had her music playing on her phone strapped in an arm band.

Anyone try this​?

I think it would be good idea on a run but not a race. I dislike getting stuck within earshot of these people. I had this happen in my first HM. I got trapped next to one girl playing country music and another guy talking on his bluetooth. I wasn't going to compromise my pace for them but I couldn't out run them either. That was my worst race ever!

I hate being in a race next to someone who is sharing their music. It doesn't make you cool, it singles you out as a selfish, narcissistic jerk.

I don't run with music because I don't like not being able to hear what is going on around me. But a friend told me about the Aftershokz bone conduction headphones and I wondered if anyone here has tried them.

https://aftershokz.com/
  • KatieJane83
    KatieJane83 Posts: 2,002 Member
    girlinahat wrote: »

Anyone try this​?

no, but I hear music from cyclists and passing cars. quite frankly I don't want to hear someone else's music. There is an inverse ratio as to the quality of music and volume. The more pimped up the car the worse the music tends to be. When did you last hear Vivaldi from a boy racer?

Of course, now whenever I run, I'm going to be singing rollin, rollin rollin as that damn thing is STILL in my head.

Yeah, I too am of the school of thought where I don't want to hear your music, lol.

I will tell you though, the most irritating example of this I ever encountered was from someone who was hiking. They had a wireless speaker hooked onto their backpack, rather loudly playing their music, as they hiked through the lovely, peaceful woods! :o:s I seriously couldn't believe my ears
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    @OSUbuckeye906 body glide is already packed. I always need it for where my HRM runs and adding more to me is always a good idea. I'll probably throw the shirt in The wash tonight, just to be safe.
  • cburke8909
    cburke8909 Posts: 990 Member
    today 3 mile total 60.8 89.2 miles to go for June
  • karllundy
    karllundy Posts: 1,490 Member
    6/1 - 4 miles
    6/2 - Pre-race rest day. Ate some donuts for national donut day / carb load :wink:
    6/3 - 13.2 miles. Damn HOT Dam to Dam half marathon! Race report forthcoming.
    6/4 - Ow.
    6/5 - Still ow. Had hoped for a recovery run, but decided against it when I got up.
    6/6 - 4.3 miles.
    6/7 - Unplanned rest day due to son's strep throat :-(
    6/8 - 5 miles.
    6/9 - 5 miles.
    6/10 - 6.2 miles.
    6/11 - Rest day.
    6/12 - 5 miles. 78° and humid at 4:45 a.m.!
    6/13 - 4.1 miles of track/speed work with a group. Then quick upper body weights. Again, 78° and humid.
    exercise.png
  • hesfeld
    hesfeld Posts: 95 Member
    @Elise4270 @girlinahat I go to a park with a trail and everyone there has their music playing on their phone with no headphones in. I passed about 10 in one run that were doing that. Even before I set out on that run, I myself thought about doing it because it's safer than wearing headphones, but I'm so self conscious I didn't want people to be annoyed with me. Now I know better that I can get away with it haha
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    juliet3455 wrote: »
    I remember last year at an event down in the States an un-scheduled train crossed the course and destroyed the BQ hopes for a large group of Runners. I just copied this from the Web-Site for the Banff Marathon this weekend.

Our scenic running course takes you through some of the most scenic land in the world…and also across some active railway tracks. We will know when trains are approaching and we will have race marshals on both sides of the track to halt the race accordingly. In order to ensure your timing does not get disrupted by train activity, we will place timing matts on either side of the tracks. The time needed to close the course at railway crossings will be deleted off of the final time of any patiently waiting athletes.
    Now that deserves some Kudo's for the Race Director and Committee.
    girlinahat wrote: »
    @MNLittleFinn - you're going as a watermelon?????
    Looks like he could Mascot for the Saskatchewan RoughRiders in the CFL, all he would have to add is a Watermelon Helmet. Okay Me Bad.

Ok, I am probably going to sound like a petty little *kitten* here, but I am surprised that the BAA would accept this as a qualifier course. Even though this is probably the fairest solution to the problem, it does allow the runners an untimed rest and recovery stop as they wait for the train to pass. As nit picky as the BAA can be sometimes...
  • karllundy
    karllundy Posts: 1,490 Member
    VydorScope wrote: »
    I am not sure what is up with Strava. Not only does it give me way higher calorie counts, it also has me going faster! So, for example:

RunKeeper: 7.01 miles, 1:07:26 time, 9:37 pace, 994 Calories
    Strava: 7.01 miles, 1:00:20 moving(?) time, 1:07:26 elasped(?) time, 8:36 pace, 1120 Calories

Now, that is the exact same run, imported into Strava from RunKeeper (I have a service that keeps them in sync).

I find the calorie counts in Strava to be about 20% high. Never had the speed issue though. Does it stop timing/calculating if you wait to cross the street or pause?
  • ctlaws44
    23f01wts9uc4.png

Did Yorktown hill intervals yesterday. Pretty uneventful. It was 94F / 34C and 80% humidity. There was a nice breeze though down at the beach. It was crowded though. One of the regulars wasn't taking much of a break between hills so he was pushing us and I was feeling it. gong to try to go tonight after work. Hope everyone's having a great day, run or rest!
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Date Miles today - Miles for June

6/1 10.5 miles - 10.5
    6/2 7.5 miles - 18
    6/3 14 miles - 32
    6/4 REST DAY
    6/5 8 miles - 40
    6/6 10 miles - 50
    6/7 5.4 miles - 55.4
    6/8 10 miles - 65.4
    6/9 4.15 miles - 69.55
    6/10 14 miles - 83.55
    6/11 REST DAY
    6/12 10.5 miles - 94.05
    6/13 10 miles - 104.05

exercise.png

Elkmont Hound Dog Half (unofficial) - 1/21 << 1:46:48 2 OA
    Elkmont Hound Dog Half (rescheduled) - 2/18 << 1:41:04 1 in AG & 24 OA
    Kentucky Derby Festival Marathon - 4/29 << 4:09:59

Upcoming races:
    None so far

• ctlaws44
    Welcome @SpiritHippo! This is a very encouraging, knowledgeable group.