Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

What are your unpopular opinions about health / fitness?

Options

Replies

• Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,646 Member
    Options
    Hilarious!!! :laugh:
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    kolagani12 wrote: »
    i have a lot

IIFYM- plain stupid. An excuse by fatties to allow themselves to eat whatever they want. That type of behavior is what got them in this situation in the first place- you shouldn't ENCOURAGE this behavior

Pre-Workouts- If you lack the energy or the drive to do a proper workout and need to take a powder to give you that energy, you aren't worthy of achieving fitness

Keto- "muh carbs, so let me just eat some bacon instead." You dummy. Carbs didn't make you fat, it was you eating too much that made you fat. Make wise choices, such as whole grains, and you can enjoy carbs. Not to mention this plan is *kitten* for anyone trying to build muscle.

"I can't lose weight"- yes you can, you aren't trying hard enough. Take responsibility.

I don't know what to say...in reality you called me a fatty...because I follow IIFYM and I eat what I want...

It was this type of behaviour that helped me lose the weight because I finally got I didn't have to give up my favourite foods to lose weight as long as it fit in goal.

Pre workouts etc up to the person...I don't get them but not sure it makes them unworthy...maybe they are tired after a sleepless night due to a baby who knows...

Keto whatever again...

staying away from the "I can't lose weight" I haven't bought my 11 foot pole yet.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    unpopular opinion.. protein is overrated.. we dont have protein deficiencies here in the US... its all a marketing scheme..

Care to elaborate on that?
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    All of this is reminding me of a cringeworthy story about my husband before we were together. His ex girlfriend dragged him to a couples baby shower which he was very against, and made him play the cheesy shower games, which he is extremely against. One of the games was "guess the weight!" on which everyone made a prediction of how much the baby would weigh at birth. He insists he missed that detail but my charming husband wrote "183 lbs" on his, and the hostess, upon reading it aloud with a confused look, was dim enough to ask him if he meant ounces, and he said "oh, no, I thought we were guessing how much the mother to be weighs".

Wonderful story! (And, yes, cringeworthy!)
  • Derf_Smeggle
    Derf_Smeggle Posts: 611 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    kolagani12 wrote: »
    staying away from the "I can't lose weight" I haven't bought my 11 foot pole yet.
    They are quite a deal for those people who only have a 10' pole. This thread is gonna make me rich!

• ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    panda4153 wrote: »
    Regarding women and pregnancy weight gain, I think it's fair to say this. There are a lot of women out there who gain a lot more than what they really need to. Regardless of whatever amount of weight that is, there are a lot of women who gain excessively.

So do non pregnant men. What's your point?

Exactly what I was wondering in response to that statement.

Perhaps the point being made was not that non pregnant people also gain too much, but that there are women who use the pregnancy as an excuse to gain too much.

People use lots of things as an excuse for weight gain, so again I'm not sure what JasonForecaster's point was in singling out -- indeed, concern trolling, or so it seemed to me -- about pregnant women doing this. I found it rather humorous (in a way) that he did so. After all, no one asserted that pregnant women never gain too much, there's no particular reason to see pregnant women gaining weight with a pregnancy as the driving force of the obesity problem, which is much broader, and it seems odd that Jason, who is a normal or underweight single guy, last I recall, would be particularly concerned about how all these pregnant women are packing on the pounds. Well, not odd, exactly, but something.
    IRL, I would say that more than half of women I know who have become pregnant gained substantially more weight than they needed to. I don't know if that represents the population as a whole, but among those I actually know, it seems to me like it's a very common (and preventable) issue.

Did you ask these friends of yours how much they gained or you just assumed they gained more than necessary? Curious.
    I did not ask. But I also know other pregnant women who did not gain excessively. There's obviously a noticeable difference between a few extra pounds and a ton extra.

In pregnant women, you can tell just by looking at them how much weight they've put on? That's quite a talent. I wonder how you would have pegged me, who has fibroid tumors that grow to tennis ball/baseball size during pregnancy due to all the excess hormones and gave the distinct appearance that I was carrying twins even though I had only gained 22 lbs and 27 lbs with my pregnancies and gave birth to single, healthy weight, babies each time.

Seriously dude, stop digging your hole. You have no idea how much weight any of those women gained, what their doctors advised them was healthy, etc.
    I never claimed to be able to tell exactly how much weight anyone gained. I said I could tell a difference between a little extra weight and a ton.

And since this thread is about unpopular opinions, what I'm saying is still valid.

• ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    panda4153 wrote: »
    Regarding women and pregnancy weight gain, I think it's fair to say this. There are a lot of women out there who gain a lot more than what they really need to. Regardless of whatever amount of weight that is, there are a lot of women who gain excessively.

So do non pregnant men. What's your point?

Exactly what I was wondering in response to that statement.

Perhaps the point being made was not that non pregnant people also gain too much, but that there are women who use the pregnancy as an excuse to gain too much.

People use lots of things as an excuse for weight gain, so again I'm not sure what JasonForecaster's point was in singling out -- indeed, concern trolling, or so it seemed to me -- about pregnant women doing this. I found it rather humorous (in a way) that he did so. After all, no one asserted that pregnant women never gain too much, there's no particular reason to see pregnant women gaining weight with a pregnancy as the driving force of the obesity problem, which is much broader, and it seems odd that Jason, who is a normal or underweight single guy, last I recall, would be particularly concerned about how all these pregnant women are packing on the pounds. Well, not odd, exactly, but something.
    IRL, I would say that more than half of women I know who have become pregnant gained substantially more weight than they needed to. I don't know if that represents the population as a whole, but among those I actually know, it seems to me like it's a very common (and preventable) issue.

Oh, good, we are back to the pregnancy conversation!

Thanks, Jason, for telling us about these irresponsible pregnant women whom you know. Are they also failing to breastfeed when the children are born? Not using the proper method of toilet training or getting the babies to sleep through the night? Choosing to work outside the home or, perhaps, to stay home with their children? What kind of maternity clothing are they wearing?
    What do those parental concerns have to do with looking at someone and being able to get a rough idea of whether they're carrying around a lot of excess weight or not? That's a way to shift the discussion in a completely different direction.

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    unpopular opinion.. protein is overrated.. we dont have protein deficiencies here in the US... its all a marketing scheme..

She liked cleanse-juicing earlier. "I obviously know what I'm talking about" said she. So take it with a grain of salt.

That will be $64 for that grain of salt - what - we're not in the Middle Ages?

you must work for the food industry...
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,943 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options

She liked cleanse-juicing earlier. "I obviously know what I'm talking about" said she. So take it with a grain of salt.

That will be $64 for that grain of salt - what - we're not in the Middle Ages?

you must work for the food industry...

Work? No thanks.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options

I have actually had protein deficiency (very low albumin)

My sister was hospitalized for protein deficiency once -- she was a teenage vegetarian who ate very few nutrient-dense foods. It can happen.

For me it was when my crohn's was very very severe and I wasn't absorbing anything. I was hospitalized for over a month on tpn and was getting blood transfusions because of it
This discussion has been closed.