Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

What are your unpopular opinions about health / fitness?

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,937 Member
    Wait. Apple fritters are 500 calories? :wah:
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    tapwaters wrote: »
    I think the whole "eat what you want as long as it fits in your calories" tripe is total *kitten*. Yea, you'll lose weight, but you'll still be fatty on the inside and not healthy.

I agree, I don't think it's reasonable to expect people to count their calories for the rest of their lives, so just saying to eat whatever you want within your calories is irresponsible. It doesn't help people in the long term because they continue to eat the foods that generally cause people to over eat and gain weight. There aren't many people who have gained a lot of weight eating entirely nutrient dense foods, and yes I'm sure some of you will come on to say that's how you gained your weight, but for the VAST majority of people, reducing the sugary and fatty meals and treats will help keep their weight at a more healthy level in the long term.

It's much more likely that incorporating those "treats" into a deficit will build the habits over time to prevent them from exceeding their calories on maintenance.

Also, I don't know why it's unreasonable to monitor intake for a lifetime.

I agree, I think people are far better off incorporating treats, but to say "eat what you want as long as it fits in your calories" I don't believe is good because I don't think that's what people should be doing. I think they should be eating a nutrient dense diet and allowing themselves treats when they need them.

Also there is a small group of people that have their health and diet at a high enough priority in their lives to even make healthier food choices and quantities to begin with, so I believe it is very unreasonable to expect for people to be counting their calories for a lifetime, most cannot even consistently do it to lose and maintain a substantial amount of weight even when their health is in jeopardy.

who is this person advocating a nutrient deficient diet and saying eat cookies all day but stay under your calories and you will be fine? I just want someone to tell me who this person is that is making this claim..????

No one claimed that there was bud, neither me or tapwaters had said that..... You keep coming back to this as if we were implying that, what I (as I don't want to speak for him) am saying is that, by just saying that they can eat whatever they want to eat under a certain calorie amount is reckless because there will be people who read that and actually just go eat poor quality foods. I am not saying that anyone here (or anywhere) is advocating for people to eat junk all day, but to me, when you say "eat what anything as long as it's under your calories" may cause people to have trouble with their weight in the future when they do not meticulously count their calories if they have not learned to properly feed their body and listen to their body.

If you specifically separate the "eat what you want in your calories" approach from "nutrient dense diet with treats" one would wonder what you believe "eat what you want" entails.
  • Rammer123
    Rammer123 Posts: 679 Member
    I think the whole "eat what you want as long as it fits in your calories" tripe is total *kitten*. Yea, you'll lose weight, but you'll still be fatty on the inside and not healthy.

I agree, I don't think it's reasonable to expect people to count their calories for the rest of their lives, so just saying to eat whatever you want within your calories is irresponsible. It doesn't help people in the long term because they continue to eat the foods that generally cause people to over eat and gain weight. There aren't many people who have gained a lot of weight eating entirely nutrient dense foods, and yes I'm sure some of you will come on to say that's how you gained your weight, but for the VAST majority of people, reducing the sugary and fatty meals and treats will help keep their weight at a more healthy level in the long term.

It's much more likely that incorporating those "treats" into a deficit will build the habits over time to prevent them from exceeding their calories on maintenance.

I agree, I think people are far better off incorporating treats, but to say "eat what you want as long as it fits in your calories" I don't believe is good because I don't think that's what people should be doing. I think they should be eating a nutrient dense diet and allowing themselves treats when they need them.

Also there is a small group of people that have their health and diet at a high enough priority in their lives to even make healthier food choices and quantities to begin with, so I believe it is very unreasonable to expect for people to be counting their calories for a lifetime, most cannot even consistently do it to lose and maintain a substantial amount of weight even when their health is in jeopardy.

who is this person advocating a nutrient deficient diet and saying eat cookies all day but stay under your calories and you will be fine? I just want someone to tell me who this person is that is making this claim..????

No one claimed that there was bud, neither me or tapwaters had said that..... You keep coming back to this as if we were implying that, what I (as I don't want to speak for him) am saying is that, by just saying that they can eat whatever they want to eat under a certain calorie amount is reckless because there will be people who read that and actually just go eat poor quality foods. I am not saying that anyone here (or anywhere) is advocating for people to eat junk all day, but to me, when you say "eat what anything as long as it's under your calories" may cause people to have trouble with their weight in the future when they do not meticulously count their calories if they have not learned to properly feed their body and listen to their body.

If you specifically separate the "eat what you want in your calories" approach from "nutrient dense diet with treats" one would wonder what you believe "eat what you want" entails.

Okay thanks Jeff
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    You're welcome, Gary.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member

So, while you acknowledge that's not what anyone is advocating for, eating nothing but junk all day, but as @lemurcat12 pointed out above, your assumption is that there are people who will interprete a simple statement like "eat what you want within your calories" (which by the way is almost always preceded by the question - can I eat a cookie and still lose weight?) as a suggestion to just go and eat nothing but poor quality foods. Like @lemurcat12 said, I think it is insulting to presume that this is what people want to do, or that they don't even have the basic knowledge of nutrition that is taught in preschool, that it is important to eat healthy foods.

• Rammer123
    Rammer123 Posts: 679 Member
    WinoGelato wrote: »

So, while you acknowledge that's not what anyone is advocating for, eating nothing but junk all day, but as @lemurcat12 pointed out above, your assumption is that there are people who will interprete a simple statement like "eat what you want within your calories" (which by the way is almost always preceded by the question - can I eat a cookie and still lose weight?) as a suggestion to just go and eat nothing but poor quality foods. Like @lemurcat12 said, I think it is insulting to presume that this is what people want to do, or that they don't even have the basic knowledge of nutrition that is taught in preschool, that it is important to eat healthy foods.

When you consistently meet with people that actually eat with no regard to the effect it's having on their bodies that are coming in to change and learn because they have absolutely no understanding about nutrition at all, it's not really insulting but the unfortunate truth....
  • Penthesilea514
    Penthesilea514 Posts: 1,189 Member

Even if someone did decide to fill their entire calorie count with low quality foods (according to your definition), they would still be better off if they learned how to match their intake to the number of calories that they actually need to maintain a healthy body weight. Even if they decide not to count calories forever, they could take learnings about portion size and the general calorie count in various types of food and apply them to their post-calorie counting life.

This is also completely ignoring that many people (at least on this website) who begin counting calories in the context of their typical diet make minor or even major changes as they progress in order to eat more volume, feel fuller longer, etc.

When I began counting calories, I was thrilled to learn that I didn't have to stop eating anything. But still, over the months, without making deliberate decisions to do so, I began adding new foods and drastically limiting my consumption of others to make it easier to hit my goals daily

I have had the same experience myself during this whole process. I am making choices of what I consider "worth" splurging calories on now that I am more knowledgeable about calories and my energy requirements. Alcohol is an example of this for me- I have cut a lot of it out of my diet because it isn't worth the calories (most of the time, not all :smiley:) but someone else wants to have some beer or wine with dinner regularly and they make adjustments for their lifestyle.

Overall, I am way healthier now that I am making the choice to include healthier foods that I like rather than feeling guilty/deprived/ashamed for eating/not eating specific foods. Sure, it is a learning process but it has been a much more organic change that feels more sustainable to me.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    I don't believe humans were necessarily meant to eat grain nor dairy... Maybe some have adapted but I know many people and myself feel terrible after eating any gluten or dairy.

Apples give me a stomachache. Therefore people aren't necessarily meant to eat apples?

Well, what evidence can you provide that we were meant to eat apples?
  • stormcrow2
    stormcrow2 Posts: 33 Member

Like, literally fatty on the inside? How does that work?

Not literally :P

I guess I don't understand how someone who understands how much energy their body needs and consistently consumes that amount of energy is still a fatty on the inside. I became fat because I disregarded how much energy my body needed. Adjusting that changed the situation. But you're arguing that if I don't meet certain nutritional standards (as determined by you), I might still be considered fat?

sounds like he is making the mythical connection that anyone who says it is OK to eat within your calories and you will still lose weight, is advocating for a diet of 100% oreos, or something...

I want this mythical 100% Oreo diet.
This discussion has been closed.